Apple's WWDC 2012 event

Vice

I thought the same, why not have em in a perfect round border rectangle display.

I'd imagine having an iMac 27" with 2 Cinema Displays, all running at the 4-5K. I suppose that would be devastating performance overhauling?

It wouldn't run good in games but for the desktop and basic transitional effects such as opening mission control and full screening apps it should be smooth. Atleast for a few years until the graphics chips catch up.

Alternatively Apple could do something very brash and uncharacteristic and put a monster GPU in an iMac something like a HD 7950 or GTX 670. Depends how much room they have and what they can do with the thermals.

Rudy

Most games would probably run in @1x mode and just be stretched to @2x, otherwise the performance would be pretty bad

.Neo

It wouldn't run good in games but for the desktop and basic transitional effects such as opening mission control and full screening apps it should be smooth. Atleast for a few years until the graphics chips catch up.

Alternatively Apple could do something very brash and uncharacteristic and put a monster GPU in an iMac something like a HD 7950 or GTX 670. Depends how much room they have and what they can do with the thermals.

I get what you've been saying, however I already notice a difference in "desktop" performance when hooking up my friend's MacBook Air (2011 model) to my 27-inch iMac. I can tell you it's not for the better: Even today not all animations go as smooth as they would without the secondary screen attached. I only imagine what would happen if we're doubling the resolution...

Price-wise do you really think it's doable to update Macs with a 15-inch screen and up to retina without prices going through the roof? Especially the 27-inch iMac.

Most games would probably run in @1x mode and just be stretched to @2x, otherwise the performance would be pretty bad

True, however windowed software that's GPU intensive would run @ x2.

Mr.XXIV

Being a huge developer for multiple purposes. I have to be so cinematic with everything I do. I would be stoked to have such a desktop.

.Neo

Being a huge developer for multiple purposes. I have to be so cinematic with everything I do. I would be stoked to have such a desktop.

As a desktop publisher and video editor I wonder if a retina screen wouldn't be more of a disadvantage. Software like Adobe InDesign chokes when setting display performance to best quality. Not because my iMac can't handle it, no, because InDesign doesn't take true advantage of the hardware. Videos we handle are 1080p or below. So in the end all content would look even blurrier/more pixelated than it does now. Same thing goes for most internet content, something I already see happing today on my new iPad.

Setting aside print quality letters and Aqua elements I wonder what good it will do at this point.

Mr.XXIV

I think 4K would do the job for monitors bigger than 27". Then I think we would be able to not worry about it. :)

If we can have such resolution and we could fit the 1080p at it's max, the way it's supposed to be viewed. I think we'd feel more comfortable. :D

.Neo

When viewing movies 4K is pretty much pointless. Especially on a 27-inch iMac, so yeah you would require a MUCH bigger screen. Your eyes won't be able to tell a differences at a distance compared to full HD:

resolution_chart.png

Vice

I get what you've been saying, however I already notice a difference in "desktop" performance when hooking up my friend's MacBook Air (2011 model) to my 27-inch iMac. I can tell you it's not for the better: Even today not all animations go as smooth as they would without the secondary screen attached. I only imagine what would happen if we're doubling the resolution...

Price-wise do you really think it's doable to update Macs with a 15-inch screen and up to retina without prices going through the roof? Especially the 27-inch iMac.

True, however windowed software that's GPU intensive would run @ x2.

I'm not really discussing price only the practicabilities of it. They could do it. All the technology is there.

Chicane-UK

It'd be nice to see the much neglected Mac Pro get some love, including maybe a brand new case design. I still think that the case design looks fresh (despite it now being over 6 years old.. which is pretty crazy) but it'd be nice to make it a flagship model once again.

• Like 1

.Neo

I'm not really discussing price only the practicabilities of it. They could do it. All the technology is there.

I was only asking for your thoughts regarding price and practicality? And sure, Apple could do a multitude of things like release a 40-inch iPad with an onboard semi-automatic machine gun. Like you said: All the technology is there. :p

sundayx

Retina display Macs won't be happening IMO.

Vice

I was only asking for your thoughts regarding price and practicality? And sure, Apple could do a lot of things like release a 40-inch iPad. Whether it's commercially viable is a second.

Well that is just silly. The display technology and the GPU is there to do Retina Display macs. It wouldn't cost that much more really. You know how much the 27" panel is right now? About $300. I know this due to my job. Yes obviously a higher resolution panel would cost more but it isn't as if the current one is very pricey there is room there to double the cost of the panel. It is totally commercially viable. And if they did double it, it would only be 216 pixels per inch. A far cry from the iPhone and iPad. The difficulty in designing a display with those sized pixels is much more difficult and costly. They could use cheaper and more traditional methods to create the 5K display the iMac would need.

DomZ

My predictions:

Hardware (some might not even get mentioned, Macbook Pro will be detailed)

- Macbook Pro redesign with retina display (at the high price points it can be justified easier)

- Macbook Air and iMac refreshes with new processors

Software

- Refresh of ML features. Will ship with all new Macs and hit GM at the conference

- iOS6 - Multiple user (account) support, Apple ID's get refreshed to support child ID's with different access rights. New map system. Siri developer API's

- iCloud to get new features and a storage bump. iCloud.com to get web versions of the iWork suite.

Vice

I don't think they will include Retina Displays in any of the products this refresh. I think they will wait until after Mountain Lion has shipped. Alternatively they will announce Mountain Lions release date at the conference and the new MacBook Pros with Retina Displays will be Pre-Order until Mountain Lion ships.

That is what I think will happen. Also I don't think they will give the iMac a retina display this time around. I think they will just give a retina display to the 15" MacBook Pro and perhaps the 17" model. That is if they do it at all dependant on the Mountain Lion release stuff I mentioned above.

.Neo

Obviously I was making a joke Vice.

And yeah, shipping Macs with retina displays would be a bit of an issue if OS X Mountain Lion isn't ready yet. I still wonder if the latter will see some big new end-user features beyond to the handful of refinements we've seen so far.

Something I notice is that in general rumors become increasingly spectacular once an Apple keynote draws near. One day before WWDC we'll have rumors of a radically redesigned iMac with a scalable up to 140-inch holographic retina display. What happens is we'll see a normal evolutionary update rather than a revolutionary one and everyone gets to be disappointed again because they actually expected the holographic iMac. ;)

Mr.XXIV

Next thing you know, projectors have Retina too. :p

Shadrack

I realize that the OS can be updated with vector graphics and new raster images to support these high resolutions. However, my current 27" cinema display has a resolution that is less than the new iPad but at the viewing distance (about 2-3 feet away) I can't see any pixels. What does bother me is how I need to enlarge the text and zoom in on web sites for them to be usable with this large display.

cswimbound

I realize that the OS can be updated with vector graphics and new raster images to support these high resolutions. However, my current 27" cinema display has a resolution that is less than the new iPad but at the viewing distance (about 2-3 feet away) I can't see any pixels. What does bother me is how I need to enlarge the text and zoom in on web sites for them to be usable with this large display.

I know exactly how you feel. I got a 27 inch iMac and the fonts seem very unusable on while using it. I really hope they attempt to fix the issue so that the text is more readable in the new product refresh.

.Neo

Can't say I have an issue with my iMac, but then again I have good eyes. :p

• Like 1

moloko

I see them announcing USB3 for the first time. ((finally)).

refresh for MBP but not with retina display. People getting hopes up to much on this.

Ios6 details would be nice but I expect more on Mountain lion.

I see these getting more and more hyped with rumors and so much complaining afterwards. They do not need to make big leaps of changes in products they are selling great. It makes great business sense to only do marginal upgrades.

Damian

PPS The maximum resolution was discussed in a bunch of articles some while ago, but I can't find anything on what the commerically available Intel HD Graphics 4000 actually support.

Same as HD 3000: 2560x1600.

Apple ID's get refreshed to support child ID's with different access rights.

Still waiting for Apple to allow merging Apple ID's. :/

To be honest, I don't really care about retina displays. It would be nice to see redesigned Macs. And to have SSD + HDD on the MacBook Pro. Without the ODD of course.

Damian

After nearly two years without an update, Apple to finally revamp Mac Pro next week

Yesterday, we reported that Apple has an incredible WWDC surprise: major updates to four of its Mac lines. We were able to affirm that three of these updates would cover the redesigned MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, refreshed 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs, and new iMacs in two screen sizes. Besides those three Mac lines updates, we were unsure if the either the Mac mini or the Mac Pro would make it as the fourth update. We speculated that it could be the Mac mini due to the newly available Ivy Bridge processors, but now, reliable sources are reporting that Apple will, in fact, unveil a new Mac Pro at WWDC next week.

Sources have also been able to provide some part numbers and prices to prove this:

MD770LL/A ? K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA

MD771LL/A ? K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA

MD772LL/A ? K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

The pricing is similar to current Mac Pro models. What?s interesting here is that we?ve seen updates to every other line of Macs that Apple carries?.except one?The Mac Mini.

Read more

Also, Unlikely new MacBook Pro specs label surfaces: 2560 x 1600 display, USB 3.0 ports, thin as Air

• Like 1

game_over

After nearly two years without an update, Apple to finally revamp Mac Pro next week

Yesterday, we reported that Apple has an incredible WWDC surprise: major updates to four of its Mac lines. We were able to affirm that three of these updates would cover the redesigned MacBook Pro with a Retina Display, refreshed 11-inch and 13-inch MacBook Airs, and new iMacs in two screen sizes. Besides those three Mac lines updates, we were unsure if the either the Mac mini or the Mac Pro would make it as the fourth update. We speculated that it could be the Mac mini due to the newly available Ivy Bridge processors, but now, reliable sources are reporting that Apple will, in fact, unveil a new Mac Pro at WWDC next week.

Sources have also been able to provide some part numbers and prices to prove this:

MD770LL/A ? K5BPLUS,BETTER, BTR-USA

MD771LL/A ? K5BPLUS,BEST,BTR-USA

MD772LL/A ? K5BPLUS,ULTIMATE,BTR-USA

The pricing is similar to current Mac Pro models. What?s interesting here is that we?ve seen updates to every other line of Macs that Apple carries?.except one?The Mac Mini.

Read more

Also, Unlikely new MacBook Pro specs label surfaces: 2560 x 1600 display, USB 3.0 ports, thin as Air

If the report about the MBP is true then it sounds like an absolute treat.

.Neo

Still waiting for Apple to allow merging Apple ID's. :/

It's beyond believe I'm still forced to use my old ISP's email address for purchases and authorization with no means to transfer everything to my current iCloud address. I contacted Apple and they suggested I add my new address to my "old" Apple ID. Obviously that's not going to work since an iCloud address is also immediately its own Apple ID, so I end up with an error saying just that. :crazy:

• Like 1