Apple's WWDC 2012 event

SMELTN

If I recall they did the same thing last year didn't they? Talked about iOS5 during the WWDC and didn't release the iPhone4s until what October?

Glassed Silver

That might be the most exciting thing. Though if Apple is not revealing anything iPhone 5 related whats the point to do it now when they can do that with the announcement of the new iphone?

If I recall they did the same thing last year didn't they? Talked about iOS5 during the WWDC and didn't release the iPhone4s until what October?

WWDC - World Wide Developers Conference

It's to prepare them for new APIs, let them check their app compatibility with the new iOS beta, etc...

It's to ensure that many of your apps are good to go on your release day iPhone.

Glassed Silver:mac

• Like 1
mattking

Anyone else think we might see iTunes 11?

• Like 2
Glassed Silver

I sure hope so...

I want to finally be able to read books in iTunes...

Or even more important:

Auto-Synching with Mac applications through a central iTunes API.

Like Bento... I don't want business data going through iCloud or something, nor does every dev want to support iCloud synching or I just don't want to clog up my 5GB so quick.

WLAN sync per app is awful.

I want automation!

And hell, give my iWork '12...

It's especially ridiculous how iWork for iOS lets me save to iCloud and... uhm...

How do I retrieve it on my Mac?

Exactly... I have to "EXPORT" it in iTunes and have no sync back.

Oh yeah... I could also mail it to myself... *yawn*

Glassed Silver:mac

.Neo

Developer preview at the most if they release a iOS 6 beta.

• Like 1
PyX

Apple has stuff to say about :

- MacBook Pros (Design + Components upgrade)

- MacBook Airs (Components upgrade)

- Apple Cinema Display (Retina Display)

- Mac Minis (Casual Upgrade)

- iMacs (Components Upgrade)

- Mac Pros (Components Upgrade)

- OS X Mountain Lion

- iOS 6 (New Maps App, Revamped Siri, iCloud, ?)

- Next-gen iPhone (Design Upgrade with Bigger Screen, Speed Bump, etc.)

- Apple TV (Siri Integration)

- iCloud (Will be included amongst previous points)

- Siri (Out of beta, New hooks and APIs that Developers will be able to use)

- iTunes 11 (100% Cocoa)

- iWork '12

Since this is a Developers Conference, my bet is on :

- Mac Pros

- OS X 10.8

- iOS 6

- Siri

Elliott

- OS X 10.8

- iOS 6

- Siri

I think these three are a certainty.

Denis W.

Looking forward to an iOS 6 preview.

Something that I thought of earlier this morning: I recall seeing a patent describing face unlocking for the iPad. Whether or not face unlocking will happen isn't really important, but rather if iOS will finally support a multiuser environment. If they made the iPad essentially a standalone computer starting with iOS 5's independence from iTunes, they should take it a step further and better fit in the iPad as a family-friendly device. I'd prefer my mail accounts and Facebook login to remain separate and hidden from view if and when my parents poke at it.

If this will happen then it should be iPad-only as iPhones and maybe iPod touches are obviously single-user devices. The problem then is dealing with the entire collection of apps in the App Store written with the assumption that there is only one user, "mobile," that exists in iOS. Easiest fix would be the OS keeping application installs in the existing /var/mobile/Applications/APPID folder, and for each user to have its own APPID/Documents folder. Each user could also have all app binaries and resources be symbolic links to the originals in /var/mobile/Applications/APPID so that there is no wasted space; also an easy way to keep certain apps hidden from specific users.

A second concern is dealing with notifications appearing on a lock screen; perhaps there could be per-user sections in the lockscreen. And finally, would it be possible to have multiple users logged in at once, or have one user signed in at a time?

Quillz

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

.Neo

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC. I really did like the 11'' form factor, but the resolution was smaller than I would have liked. The same size with a larger resolution would seal the deal for me.

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

• Like 1
BumbleBritches57

Oh God I hope so.

BumbleBritches57

Not sure if I follow your logic here? If Apple releases a MacBook Air with Retina Display all interface elements need to be doubled so chances are you won't actually gain more workspace.

Yup, it would have the same physical dimensions, everything would take up the same space, they'd just be bigger and sharper. But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

Quillz

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

.Neo

Perhaps, but I just want a larger resolution than what is currently possible. We'll see what happens soon, hopefully.

You don't come across as being very rational right now? :p

But I think he means a larger, non Retina resolution.

I gave my old MacBook Air to a friend in anticipation of new ones with Retina Displays being released at or shortly after WWDC.

;)

Quillz

Eh, the guy needed the laptop more than I did, anyway. I was probably going to sell the Air regardless soon anyway, since I think I might want to go back to the Pro models, especially if they get the latest processors (Sandy Bridge? Ivy Bridge? I can't remember.)

ML is coming along really nice, too. I've been running the latest build full time on my iMac with no major issues. I wouldn't be surprised to see it hit GM at WWDC or shortly after, perhaps early July, which would make it close to the one-year anniversary of Lion.

PyX

Major versions of iTunes are always announced or released in September, along with the iPod event. Don?t get your hopes up.

El Marto

Just got my flight confirmation back from work so ill be at WWDC :) will try and keep you all posted on as much as im allowed to!

Vice

Just got my flight confirmation back from work so ill be at WWDC :) will try and keep you all posted on as much as im allowed to!

I'm so jealous! - Have lots of fun.

• Like 1
Hardcore Til I Die

Looking forward to the iOS6 announcements, everything else can swivel for all I care :D

PyX

This discussion is dead, I?ll add a little spicy to it :

I think if new iMacs are to be released on June 11th, they won?t be part of the Keynote, but they will be released on Apple?s site and will be a small icon on the front page, just below their big marketing ad (OS X 10.8 side-to-side with iOS 6 maybe ?). Same with MacBook Pros. However, Mac Pros will definitely be part of the Keynote.

Also, they apparently want to re-do the entire iTunes Store and App Store with a whole new interactive interface. Maybe iTunes 11 isn?t too much to ask in the end ? Could be nice if it were built right into OS X 10.8.0.

.Neo
Also, they apparently want to re-do the entire iTunes Store and App Store with a whole new interactive interface. Maybe iTunes 11 isn?t too much to ask in the end ? Could be nice if it were built right into OS X 10.8.0.

What are the chances of them releasing iTunes 11 to the public without iOS 6 being ready yet?

SMELTN

What are the chances of them releasing iTunes 11 to the public without iOS 6 being ready yet?

Pretty much the only chance we would see iTunes 11 released, is if its a requirement for the developer preview of iOS6 or something, and even then it won't be released to the public other than the devs

BoredBozirini

Close to zero.

Chicane-UK

I really think Apple need to make some new commitment to the desktop market with some kind of new model or at least a proper ground-up reworking of something like the iMac. I really feel they've been coasting in that area for a while and just riding the tidal wave of iPhone and iPad sales.

• Like 1
.Neo

Pretty much the only chance we would see iTunes 11 released, is if its a requirement for the developer preview of iOS6 or something, and even then it won't be released to the public other than the devs

Exactly.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Ather Fawaz
      MacBook Air with Apple's M1 chipset outscores the 16-inch MacBook Pro in Geekbench
      by Ather Fawaz

On November 10, Apple introduced its first lineup of MacBooks and Mac Minis rocking the ARM-based M1 chipset. As expected, Apple's silicone enabled better performance at greater power efficiency. Apple claims that its M1 silicone has the world's highest performance per watt. In fact, Apple says that the chip can reach the same performance as an existing PC chip at one-quarter of the power. It also has the world's fastest integrated graphics, according to the Cupertino firm, which claimed that the octa-core GPU is twice as fast when pitted against competitors, while still using less power. And the latest benchmarks certainly point towards that direction.

On the Geekbench 5 benchmark, the newly announced MacBook Air clocked a score of 7433 on the multi-core test and 1687 on the single-core test. Both scores eclipse the higher-end 16-inch MacBook Pro that comes with an Intel Core i9 processor, which has 6870 on the multi-core test and 1096 on the single-core test. For greater context, the M1's Geekbench scores mimic those set by last year's entry-level Mac Pro, which had a 7989 multi-core score and a 1024 single-core score.

The benchmarks also showed that the M1 chipset has a base frequency of 3.20GHz backed by 8GB of RAM. For comparison, the octa-core Intel Core i9 processor on the 16-inch MacBook Pro has a base clock of 2.3GHz, which can turbo boosted to 4.8GHz. Obviously, the RAM configuration on the 16-inch MacBook Pro varies.

M1's GPU Performance VS Power M1's CPU Performance VS Power At its One More Thing event, the Cupertino firm claimed that the MacBook Air had up to 3.5 times the CPU performance of the previous generation, 5 times the GPU performance, and 9 times the machine learning performance, making it faster than 98% of PC laptops sold in the last year. All of this combined with the optimizations of MacOS Big Sur coupled with the potential to run native iPadOS and iOS make Apple's new lineup a promising one.

These figures are more impressive when you realize the fact that the MacBook Air is a fan-less machine clocking these numbers. Since Apple confirmed that all newly announced Macs have the same octa-core M1 chipset across the board, the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini with better cooling might perform even better.

While the Geekbench scores above do lend some credence to Apple's claims, of course, it goes without saying that benchmarks only capture one side of the story. Even if we were to set aside the dodgy business of comparing scores across distinct architectures, real-world usage depends on plenty of other factors as well.

• By Abhay V
      Here's where you can watch today's Apple event
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple is set to take the stage today for its third virtual event this fall. The first event in September was dedicated to announcing new Apple Watch and iPad models, while the second event in October was aimed at unveiling the new iPhone 12 series. The virtual event today that bears the “One more thing” slogan in the invite is expected to be where the firm unveils its Apple Silicon-powered Mac devices.

Earlier this year at its WWDC conference, the Cupertino giant announced that it will be transitioning its PCs to ARM-based silicon, moving away from the reliance on Intel for its processors. The company aims to complete the transition in two years, with MacBooks being the first to make the switch. The company even acknowledged that it still has some Intel-based Macs in the pipeline for launch. Reports suggest that today’s event will see the launch of a 13-inch MacBook Air and a 13-inch MacBook Pro. There is also a 16-inch version of the MacBook Pro based on Apple Silicon in active development, but it is not clear if that device will be shown off today. There have also been murmurs of the return of the 12-inch MacBook sporting an ARM processor.

In addition to the devices themselves, it will be interesting to see what other announcements the firm will make. The company confirmed back in July that the Apple Silicon-based MacBook PCs will support Thunderbolt – a standard owned by Intel. It would not be surprising to see more information on advancements being made to Rosetta 2 as well, to help developers through the transition. The iPhone company might also finally provide a timeline for the impending release of macOS 11 Big Sur.

Apple will be live streaming its event on its website and on YouTube today at 10AM PT/1PM ET/6PM GMT. You can view the embedded stream at the top or head to the Apple website here to watch the event.

• By Rich Woods
      Apple announces the iPhone 12 Pro series with new design and more
      by Rich Woods

Today, Apple held its annual iPhone launch event, where it not only announced the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini, but it announced the new iPhone 12 Pro series. Being that the company showed off the regular iPhone 12 first, we already learned about the new A14 Bonic processor, although that's unlocking some new features, such as Deep Fusion on all four cameras. There's also support for 5G, of course.

The iPhone 12 Pro series has an all new design, with a flat, stainless steel frame and a glass back. It comes in colors like Graphite, Pacific Blue, Silver, and Gold. That's not all, because the screens are bigger.

Yes, Apple slimmed down the bezels, so now the 5.8-inch screen on the smaller one is now 6.1 inches. For the Max, it's now 6.7 inches instead of 6.5 inches. Apple says that this is done in almost the same size chassis.

Apple is calling it Super Retina XDR. It's brighter, higher resolution, and it's just better.

There are some big camera improvements too, particularly on the Max. Indeed, while the only difference between the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 mini is the size, there is most definitely a difference in camera quality between the iPhone 12 Pro and the iPhone 12 Pro Max.

While all of the sensors have been improved, the telephoto lens on the iPhone 12 Pro Max gets 2.5x optical zoom, for a total of 5x zoom. The regular Pro is only offering 4x zoom.

That's not all though. Coming to both models of the iPhone 12 Pro is a feature called ProRAW, which finally lets you take RAW photos from the Camera app. It also promises to do more than that though, combining things like Deep Fusion with the power of editing RAW images.

Video recording is improved as well. For the first time, you can record video in HDR, and not only that, but you can record in Dolby Vision HDR. Apple is also unlocking the ability to edit Dolby Vision videos in the Photos app, so it reencodes the video in the HDR format.

The pricing isn't changing. The iPhone 12 Pro starts at $999 and the Pro Max starts at $1,099. Apple has doubled the base model storage at 128GB. You can pre-order the iPhone 12 Pro on Friday, and the Pro Max on November 6.

• By Rich Woods
      Verizon is launching its sub-6GHz nationwide 5G network
      by Rich Woods

Verizon was one of the first in the U.S. to have 5G, but this whole time, the carrier has been exclusive to millimeter wave technology. Millimeter waves, or mmWaves, are super-fast, offering gigabit speeds, but they're limited. They can be blocked by something as thin as a piece of paper. That means that they don't work indoors, or when a device is in your pocket.

The carrier has been clear that there was a sub-6GHz network coming later this year, and at Apple's iPhone 12 event today, it confirmed that it's ready to light up its nationwide 5G network. That means that you'll finaly get 5G service indoors.

Another limitation if millimeter wave is that it's expensive to roll out, while sub6 is much more inexpensive. Verizon's mmWave coverage is only in select cities, and as mentioned, you actually have to be in line of sight of a cellular antenna. With sub6, that won't be an issue. It will be available in more rural areas, and it will work everywhere that 4G worked.

Verizon didn't provide many details on if this is getting lit up today or if it's soon, or even what frequency it's using, but it will likely share more soon.

• By indospot
      Apple introduces the iPhone 12 and 12 mini, with an OLED display, 5G, and smaller design
      by João Carrasqueira

Apple has officially unveiled the iPhone 12 family during the Apple event today. The new iteration of the iPhone brings a new design with flatter edges all around, in addition to being thinner and lighter than the previous model. It also features Apple's Super Retina XDR display technology, which means it's now OLED instead of LCD, and it also has an increased 2532x1170 resolution.

Apple got help from Corning, the makers of Gorilla Glass, to design a new protective glass for the iPhone 12, which Apple calls Ceramic Shield. Apple says this new display protection offers up to four times the drop protection of the previous generation. This is done by using high-temperature crystalization to grow "nano-ceramic crystals" in the glass.

The iPhone 12 is also Apple's first phone to support 5G, and Apple says it supports more 5G bands than any other smartphone. It's also smart, and Apple says it will turn off 5G when the increased speeds aren't necessary to save battery. Apple promises speeds up to 3.5Gbps on 5G.

At the core of the iPhone 12 is the new Apple A14 chipset, which is based on a 5nm process. That makes the iPhone 12 the first phone in the world to sport a 5nm chipset. It has a six-core CPU and a quad-core GPU, both promising to be 50% faster than competing smartphones. Additionally, the Neural Engine now has 16 cores, making it 80% faster than before, and the machine learning accelerators are also 70% faster.

The camera setup has also been improved, though there are still only two cameras, and not the three you'd find on a Pro model. The new 12MP main camera has a seven-element lens for the first time in an iPhone, and it has optical image stabilization. Apple is promising better low-light performance for the camera, and the computational photography has also been improved, with Smart HDR 3 improving dynamic range.

For video, the camera on the iPhone 12 is also the first to be able to record HDR video with Dolby Vision, and it's the only device that can not only record but also edit and share Dolby Vision video.

For this year's iPhone, Apple is also introducing MagSafe for iPhone for the first time. This is meant to improve wireless charging for iPhone, and it makes it easier to find the right position for the charger thanks to new magnets in the phone. Additionally, Apple is working with partners to design accessories that support MagSafe so you can still charge the phone while it's in a case.

Apple is also committed to its sustainability goals, so 100% of the rare earth minerals used in the iPhone 12, including the magnets, are recycled.

Apple also unveiled the iPhone 12 mini, the first time it's using the "mini" name in an iPhone. It's all exactly the same as the regular iPhone 12, except the screen size is smaller. The iPhone 12 will have a 6.1-inch display, while the iPhone 12 mini has a smaller 5.4-inch display to make it easier to handle.

The iPhone 12 family will start at $699 for the iPhone 12 mini, and $799 for the iPhone 12, though there are some financing options as well. This does make the iPhone 12 $100 more expensive than the iPhone 11 was at launch, which had the same display size.

The iPhone 12 will be available for pre-order this Friday, and ship on October 23. The iPhone 12 mini will arrive a little later, with pre-orders opening on November 6, and shipping on November 13.