win8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

• Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:09

Almost 90% of the time that I switch on my Windows 8 PC (Specs in Sig) in the mornings from a cold boot, I get a Black Screen as soon as Windows loads. Sometimes I get a a mouse cursor that stops responding after a few seconds and sometimes I just get a Black Screen with no mouse cursor. I have to power off the PC and switch it on again for it to boot up properly. I have fully updated Windows and I'm still seeing the issue nearly every morning (or whenever I start the PC from a cold boot).

As far as I'm aware I've not got any hardware issues.

Anyone else experienced something similar?

#2 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:41

For how long has this been happening? Did it work and all of a sudden it started happening? If yes, did you install something? An AV resident perhaps or a firewall or a driver? Perhaps Windows Update installed something?

Did your PC come with Windows 8 or did you install it yourself? If yourself, did you do a clean install or upgrade from Windows 7? I always recommend a clean install and I am sure a lot of people will agree.

#3 OP Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

Posted 23 April 2013 - 09:58

It's a custom built PC (Spes in Sig). I installed Windows 8 when it RTM'd from clean install. It's been happening ever since I installed Windows 8.

#4 rwx

rwx

Neowinian

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:07

Do you have dual video cards by any chance? My laptop does have dual video cards and Windows 8 (while I had it) kept crashing every 3rd or 4th minute from the moment the desktop started. I have nVidia and an Intel one so I disabled the Intel one and problem went away.

#5 OP Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:29

No, it doesn't have dual video cards. I was told on another forum to check the BIOS version. Mine was running 2001, so I've updated it to 3602 (latest). Will see how that goes.

#6 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:58

I've also noticed this recently on my Windows 8 install. I did a clean install of Windows 8 around last October, this has probably happened for the last two months or so.

I leave my PC on stand by so it only re-starts once a month for Windows updates, however if I do re start i've noticed the last few times I have got a black screen. If press the power button on my tower the black screen will go and the login screen will instantly appear. Alternatively I found that if I remote desktop in to the PC that also makes the black screen disappear and the login screen appear.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 1GB

#7 OP Zoom7000

Zoom7000

The Ankle Breaker

Posted 02 May 2013 - 16:20

Well, I updated the BIOS to the latest version and the problem went away for a few days, but it's come back. Has anyone else got any ideas how to resolve this?