SUV Runs over biker in NYC

I guess 'yes', but I don't think it would happen.  Only stupid people do break check in front of the bulldozer ... lolz ...

Are you serious? So I'll come run you down with a bulldozer, guess you deserved it right? Since you stand in my way and I'm frightened.

What I meant was that before the video started there must be something else, the bikers were already surrounding him and wanted him to stop, break check was the final thing to get him to finally stop.

What if a nuclear bomb went off and the guy in the SUV was trying to get his family out of the shock wave. I'm sure there were more filming (or at least one guy with a continuous recording) seeing as it was their annual "be a dick on the road" gathering.

Looks like they were being dickheads on all sides. 

Having been in a car that was attacked and the driver's side window smashed in my husband's face, I can't say I blame the SUV driver for freaking out when they attacked his car. As far as he was concerned his life and that of his family were in danger at that point. What the hell do you expect him to do? Of course he's going to try and get away. You go beyond 'common sense' and being rational at that point. And no, sitting around trying to get the police isn't going to save you.

I guess it's quite likely the SUV driver did something to provoke them in the first place. There is a reason why when I see an SUV I think something along the lines of what Charisma said, that is, "liable to be a ######ing clueless idiot". As a biker though I always feel far more vulnerable and less inclined to pick fights with cars. You're on a bike, you can just get away quite easily most of the time. But, in this scenario you have the herd mentality of the bikers, egging each other on and being aggressive.

As for people think it's a good idea to brake check others, no, it's not. It's stupid. Do not engage in erratic and unpredictable behaviour. Do not antagonise someone who is clearly already irrational and aggressive, you are not going to teach them anything. Do not try to police other people's driving, it's a waste of your own time and energy and it's dangerous. 

The bikers clearly provoked it, but its no excuse to run them over.

That was ridiculous mob mentality by the bikers.  I really can't add anything that hasn't been said already.  The guy in the SUV must've been terrified.  And as for the comment about running someone with a bulldozer, if I'm posing a threat to you and your family and you're on a bulldozer I wouldn't be surprised in the least if you used it to run me over to get away from me.  Also, you're implying that the driver of the SUV purposely aimed at a motorcycle with the intent of harming them when it is obvious he made a decision to get the hell out of there any way possible and since the ###### bikers had blocked his way he could only go over some of them.  I hope they got arrested for beating him up.

• Like 2

The bikers clearly provoked it, but its no excuse to run them over.

This has been discussed a few times.

Assuming the police report is accurate, what other option did the driver have to get him and his family out of a bad situation?

I can kick a vehicle all day long and not leave evidence.

It is a matter of how hard they hit it, and where.  Kicking side skirts won't dent because its usually fiberglass.  Bumper covers are plastic...

However, it would make enough noise to scare occupants.

We don't know either way, but not hearing the other side to refute it leaves suspicion.  Right up there with why the brake check, and no explanation given.

So, someone kicking the side of a vehicle (not hard enough to dent) now equates to your life is in danger, punch the gas and plow down people?  The guy is practically in a tank.  Even had the glass been smashed you'd barely get a scrape from the glass beads.

I think people need to work on their definition of "I felt threatened".  Had this guy just played it cool and perhaps (gasp) communicate with the bike rider, none of this would have happened.  If other people kick your car then STOP and call the police. Or, record it on your phone for the police.  

Not saying the driver was at fault for the accident, but he sure as heck was at fault for what followed.

So, someone kicking the side of a vehicle (not hard enough to dent) now equates to your life is in danger, punch the gas and plow down people?  The guy is practically in a tank.  Even had the glass been smashed you'd barely get a scrape from the glass beads.

I think people need to work on their definition of "I felt threatened".  Had this guy just played it cool and perhaps (gasp) communicate with the bike rider, none of this would have happened.  If other people kick your car then STOP and call the police. Or, record it on your phone for the police.  

Not saying the driver was at fault for the accident, but he sure as heck was at fault for what followed.

Lets see you surrounded by that many bikers, with a wife and child in the car, them kicking and smacking the car.  Which causes the wife to most likely become hysterical the child to cry.

Lets see if you feel threatened or not.  I've no doubt you would, and saying otherwise is dishonest.

Lets be clear, if they broke the glass, it wouldn't be to hurt him with the glass, it would be to pull his ass out of the car and/or get in.

Not only that but we don't know if they left dents or not.  Nothing is high enough resolution or close up enough to see.

This was not a simple lack of communication issue.  The SUV stopped when he hit the first bike.  Nothing like a bunch of bikers then stopping all around you and blocking you from all sides to escalate an issue.  If it was a simple issue of communication, then they wouldn't have done that.  Or rather, if it was a simple issue, their stupid actions escalated it further.

So, someone kicking the side of a vehicle (not hard enough to dent) now equates to your life is in danger, punch the gas and plow down people?

If you have a massive group of bikers surrounding your vehicle, deliberately slowing down in your path and acting in a threatening manner then YES that does equate to danger. Assault is legally defined as the "threat of bodily harm coupled with an apparent, present ability to cause the harm", which certainly seems to have been met. That's especially true at the point where bikers get the vehicle to stop and try to enter the vehicle. I oppose vigilante justice but protecting yourself is an entirely different matter.

The bikers were completely out of order.

• Like 3

First off all any of you that think you are justified to run ANYONE over is an idiot. Ive been riding a motorcycle for over 15 years, and have saw just about every idiot on the road. People DO NOT pay attention! There are mothers everyday swerving into my lane because they are texting and driving while they have their children in the back seat. I have carried a 9mm with me almost every time I go out, and if you think you can try that crap on me you will quickly realize how hard it is to react with a hole in your head.

The man driving put his family in more danger running those bikers over then if he had stopped the first time. It was VERY clear the first accident the biker was calmly walking up to the SUV. The driver of the SUV endangered his family by running them over. First you cant out run a bike. Second, after running over a group of people and not stopping, the bikers had every right to try to rip that guy out of his suv. At that point the guy was endangering EVERYONE on the road.

First off all any of you that think you are justified to run ANYONE over is an idiot. Ive been riding a motorcycle for over 15 years, and have saw just about every idiot on the road. People DO NOT pay attention! There are mothers everyday swerving into my lane because they are texting and driving while they have their children in the back seat. I have carried a 9mm with me almost every time I go out, and if you think you can try that crap on me you will quickly realize how hard it is to react with a hole in your head.

The man driving put his family in more danger running those bikers over then if he had stopped the first time. It was VERY clear the first accident the biker was calmly walking up to the SUV. The driver of the SUV endangered his family by running them over. First you cant out run a bike. Second, after running over a group of people and not stopping, the bikers had every right to try to rip that guy out of his suv. At that point the guy was endangering EVERYONE on the road.

There were bad decisions all around.

If the police report was true, and they were harassing him when he stopped, then he was in danger by sitting there too.  Participating in an annual bike ride doesn't mean you are not a serial killer, rapist, thug, etc.  I cannot honestly say if I was in the same position that I wouldn't have done the same. 

The idiot who brake checked put himself, the other riders, and the family in danger.  Don't play out these guys as saints.

Every single person who participated in this crap put themselves, others, and the family in danger.  Leave law enforcement to the police.

REGARDLESS of what the driver might have done initially before the video, these idiots on bikes made it 100x worse with their actions.

First off all any of you that think you are justified to run ANYONE over is an idiot.

During normal circumstances, absolutely. But when it comes to protecting your personal safety I consider it absolutely justified.

People DO NOT pay attention! There are mothers everyday swerving into my lane because they are texting and driving while they have their children in the back seat. I have carried a 9mm with me almost every time I go out, and if you think you can try that crap on me you will quickly realize how hard it is to react with a hole in your head.

You're the reason why guns should be restricted.  :angry:
  • Like 2

Surprise, surprise... Someone that was there spoke to media (Jalopnik)

I saw these guys yesterday, the bikers, and what a pack of ###### they were. Splitting lanes on the highway at speed (70mph between 2 cars), cutting people off. They had me boxed in so I couldn't get out of an exit only lane so they could get off. Not saying they deserve to be hit, but they had it coming.

I had my blinker on and was handsignalling I needed to get out of the exit only lane. everyone kept passing on the left to cut me off in front of the exit, 4-5 of them flipped me off. I tried rolling slow but they had no inkling of how to ride well. I ride myself, and this was just heinous.

• Like 2

Nothing like a a bunch of bikers illegally splitting lanes (at high speed, no less) to keep everyone safe.

Some of the people who defended them here should take note on how they were acting.

• Like 3

Not surprising at all. I could tell within seconds of watching the video that they were a menace to other road users and held no regard for the law.

Not surprising at all. I could tell within seconds of watching the video that they were a menace to other road users and held no regard for the law.

Maybe that is what started this all.  One of those d-bags was cutting through traffic at high speed and they accidentally clipped them or honked at them, flashed their lights, etc.

Who knows what sets people off.  It doesn't take a lot to invoke maximum road rage.

During normal circumstances, absolutely. But when it comes to protecting your personal safety I consider it absolutely justified.

You're the reason why guns should be restricted.  :angry:

If try to run me over, you are actually putting my life in danger, vs the perceived danger the driver of the suv "FELT HE WAS IN". The difference is the driver of the SUV chose to ACTUALLY put the bikers in danger. What followed was a result of his actions.

Just because there is a pack of bikes means ABSOLUTELY nothing. There is a preconceived notion that bikers in general are just plain bad, you can see it in almost everyone's post on here. The altercation started BEFORE the camera started rolling, you can clearly see the focus was on the SUV the moment the camera started recording.

The driver of the SUV was in a very large vehicle. The bikers did not try to pull him out until AFTER he ran up and over the group of bikes! At that point the driver of the SUV had committed a felony and the bikers had every right to make a citizens arrest! You guys need to read some legal books.

And I will add this, if you try to run me over, you will be dead. When my life is ACTUALLY threatened as such when the SUV driver ran over the bikes I would not hesitate to protect myself. I served for many years, and have survived war. I will not be taken out by someone who acted carelessly. Period

And I will add this, if you try to run me over, you will be dead. When my life is ACTUALLY threatened as such when the SUV driver ran over the bikes I would not hesitate to protect myself. I served for many years, and have survived war. I will not be taken out by someone who acted carelessly. Period

Guess what, Internet Tough Guy, if I try to run you over it's because you are posing a threat to me or my family.  Come for them and one of us will end up dead because I would die protecting them.

• Like 2

As others have already said... bikers were dumb in general and caused the accident, then mob rule demanded some type of justice.. driver fled in a hurry to avoid pain and possibly death to him, his wife, and 5 year old son.

He was better than I would fair in that situation, I am not sure I would have kept cool while being antagonized and chased by a bunch of bikers then having my windows broken out.

If try to run me over, you are actually putting my life in danger

No. You're putting your own life in danger when you swerve in front of a big SUV and brake check the driver at highway speeds.

• Like 2

If try to run me over, you are actually putting my life in danger, vs the perceived danger the driver of the suv "FELT HE WAS IN". The difference is the driver of the SUV chose to ACTUALLY put the bikers in danger. What followed was a result of his actions.

Just because there is a pack of bikes means ABSOLUTELY nothing. There is a preconceived notion that bikers in general are just plain bad, you can see it in almost everyone's post on here. The altercation started BEFORE the camera started rolling, you can clearly see the focus was on the SUV the moment the camera started recording.

The driver of the SUV was in a very large vehicle. The bikers did not try to pull him out until AFTER he ran up and over the group of bikes! At that point the driver of the SUV had committed a felony and the bikers had every right to make a citizens arrest! You guys need to read some legal books.

You joined Neowin simply to post on this thread? I was going to post an intelligent response to this but it's not going to change your opinion. The citizens arrest part was the best part. Thanks for a laugh. *goes to read some "legal books"*

• Like 1

The bikers knowingly chose to put themselves in danger, heh.

I wish we could stop this crap of bikers being ran over too.  Nobody was run over, their bikes were.

Hence, only the driver had injuries.

Which brings up another point.  How did nobody get run over when this first started, if they stayed on their bikes??