SUV Runs over biker in NYC

The police have since arrested Cruz and thrown the book at him, effectively marking him responsible for the half-hour chase that ended with Alexian Lien beaten and his car smashed.

Best news I've heard all day. That had to be one of the stupidest things I've ever seen someone do on video.

• Like 2

I'm sorry but I'd of done the same thing. If I had a gang of bikers surround me and then stopped infront of me like that I am not putting my breaks on. They wanna be A**holes, well if I have an SUV I can be a bigger A**hole. Especially If I had a child in the back the first thing I am doing is getting the hell out of there.

• Like 1

I hope the authorities get all of the bikers who were involved and prosecute them to fullest extent of the law. The SUV was clearly trying to escape a bad situation. I feel bad for the family who was in that SUV!

• Like 2

These pics are of another biker the SUV driver hit when he was plowing through them, not the driver himself. This guy was pretty much an innocent bystander and has the worst injuries :(

An "innocent bystander" who was driving recklessly. After he heals, his license should be revoked and his bike confiscated. That goes for the rest of the bikers as well.

You can watch about a dozen or so moving violations in just a few minutes of the video, I'm betting they weren't driving safely on the rest of their ride either.

I don't think he was bystander.  If you see in the vid, the car jumped straight to break away.  That guys had to be in front of the car also.  I'll say he was involved too.

I have a lot of biker friends too.  They are nice people.  But the minute they get on the bike, they become idiots.

These pics are of another biker the SUV driver hit when he was plowing through them, not the driver himself. This guy was pretty much an innocent bystander and has the worst injuries :(

Too many idiots watching Sons of Anarchy and thinking they are badass bikers.

On a completely sort of related topic... One of my favorite things to do in GTA Vice City was drive around at full speed in a car and smoke people on motorcylces.

I do that in all GTA games!

If you hit them right, they'll fly over the your car and the bike will end up about 50-60 feet from where you smacked the douche.

*only in Grand Theft Auto though. I don't act like that in reality.

I wasted a few minutes of my life watching the other video of the ride, counted several dozen more moving violations.

I'm sorry, whatever sympathy the bikers may have had evaporated when they drove up on a sidewalk in downtown Brooklyn in order to run a red light. After seeing that, just revoking a license would be a joke, they should get at least 180 days jail time,  a permanent license revocation, massive fines and confiscation of their vehicles.

This native New Yorker says eff them, you don't drive like that in the city, they are a menace.

• Like 3

I'd rather not come off as offensive but one has to be pretty dense to think the guy that got injured was just an "innocent bystander".

He didn't have to be on his bike, joining a pack mentality, and messing with a SUV. He could have broke from the pack, made a stand against acting like savages, and potentially avoided this whole nasty affair. Yes its terrible he has been injured but he should start calling it a life lesson. Want to act like a big tough man? Be prepared to face the consequences (which I hope also extend to him losing his driver's license like the rest of his little posse).

Also as a shout out to bikers and drivers alike in this thread. No one single entity owns the road, no one single entity can ignore the laws. Break checking and the like are ILLEGAL (reckless driving for starters) and whatever sentence the judge delivers will be just deserved. For those who keep hollering about the SUV driver, its clear from the get go he is within his right to protect himself since they were VIOLATING THE LAW TO MESS WITH HIM.

I really don't care for the mentality in this thread that "hey that is a group of bikers and they are gonna ###### up...you better not mess with them". Its ###### like this that bores vigilante cops and armed citizens. Maybe if people would act a little more civilized and stop acting like little pricks we could avoid a few tragedies.

Lastly, I want to apologize on the behalf of the bikers to the SUV driver:"I'm sorry my elitist brothers took it upon themselves to mess with you with absolutely no PROVEN reason. I'm sorry we chased you down after you fled with your family in fear of your lives. I'm sorry we pulled you out of your car and beat the hell out of you for hitting a fellow brother that VIOLATED THE LAW and consequently you hit him".

• Like 2

Eh, no. He was part of the gang, beating on the car, surrounding him, provoking him, and causing panic and the situation that led to it.

Not even close to innocent, had he parked his bike away from the scene and sat on it waiting quietly for his friend who brake checked to t ok with the driver alone after he stopped, THEN he would have been innocent.

• Like 3

bikers have a God complex. they think that everyone owes them the right of way

You can't tar everyone with the same brush. I had a bike up until very recently, and I never acted this way at all.

• Like 2

Second arrest made:

A second suspect ? Allen Edwards, 42, of Queens ? believed to be the man seen on video striking the Range Rover windows with his fists, surrendered to police on Tuesday. He was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal mischief and menacing. It was not immediately known if he had a lawyer.

Police are still seeking a biker seen smashing the SUV's window with his helmet.

http://news.yahoo.com/wife-biker-husband-victim-nyc-altercation-063414964.html

And I'm sorry but I have a hard time calling "Jay Meezee" a victim or an innocent bystander here. He put himself in that situation by participating in this reckless behavior of trying to stop the Range Rover and trap the driver and his family.

I don't even own a bike. Nor am I willing to change my POV.

The thing is, most of the guys here are talking about "being a parent" and "protecting the kid" but the behavior of the dumbass in the SUV was nowhere near protecting the kid what.so.ever. He only made things worse. Common sense - SUV'S CAN NOT OUT RUN BIKES! another fact - BIKERS DO NOT WAIT FOR COPS! Guess what is going to happen when you run over 2-3 bikers when there's another 30 around? You will get the living shet beaten out of you. End of story.

He should be thanking god those guys weren't in HA, beating would be the least they would do to him.

Wow, your right. It can't. But it's like a person on foot versus an m1 tank. I would have ran them over and kept going if the idiots tried this ######. Or shot them. But you're titled to your opinion.

I don't even own a bike. Nor am I willing to change my POV.

The thing is, most of the guys here are talking about "being a parent" and "protecting the kid" but the behavior of the dumbass in the SUV was nowhere near protecting the kid what.so.ever. He only made things worse. Common sense - SUV'S CAN NOT OUT RUN BIKES! another fact - BIKERS DO NOT WAIT FOR COPS! Guess what is going to happen when you run over 2-3 bikers when there's another 30 around? You will get the living shet beaten out of you. End of story.

He should be thanking god those guys weren't in HA, beating would be the least they would do to him.

The video doesn't show the guys bashing in the car before he ran the guy over.

Everything You Need To Know About The Terrifying SUV Vs Biker Attack

ku-bigpic.gif

Two arrests have been made, one biker is wanted by the police, and one man is in a coma after Sunday's nightmarish incident between one Range Rover driver and several hundred motorcyclists on a mass ride. Here's a complete guide to understanding what happened, why it happened, and what you should do if you're in the same situation.

The video released by one of the riders involved has gone viral, but it leaves you with more questions than answers. Here are my responses.

I've seen a bit of this video, where a bunch of bikers chase a guy driving a Range Rover. What the hell happened, exactly?

Okay, on Sunday there was a huge mass ride of a number of motorcycle clubs in NYC had a kind of end-of-the-season get together. We're talking 200-300 bikers who were riding like *******s, as their deleted videos show.

At some point at around 1:30 in the afternoon on the West Side Highway in Manhattan, one of those riders (28-year-old Christopher Cruz) brake-checked the driver of a black Range Rover (33-year-old Alexian Lien). Lien rear-ended Cruz, and a number of bikers swarmed around the Range Rover to see what happened. Lien had his wife and two-year-old in the car. He panicked and took off, knocking over a number of bikers.

ku-medium.jpg

One rider Jay Mieses was sent to the hospital with serious injuries. He is currently in a medically-induced coma and his family claims he may be paralyzed from the waist down. Mieses, by the way, has a criminal history of riding infractions and is banned from driving in Massachusetts until 2017, as the Boston Globe reports.

The bikers gave chase, stopping Lien further up the highway. When one biker threw open Lien's door, Lien took off again, knocking over more bikers. The chase resumed, but when Lien hit traffic on 178th street, riders mobbed his Range Rover again, bashing in one window, pulling him from his SUV, and beating him in the street. You can see the scene of the beating below.

http://instagram.com/p/e4mQnnw4Nz

Lien was taken to the hospital and released with stitches.

Holy crap. Has anyone been arrested?

Yes. The police arrested Christopher Cruzand basically threw the book at him for reckless everything. One other rider who was one of the first to attack Lien's car on 178th street turned himself in and another was arrested, also for starting the attack on 178th street. The police are still looking for the rider who broke Lien's window with his helmet and possibly pulled him out of his car.

Jeez. Why did this all happen?

Well, it's hard to tell because the video starts after what appears to be some kind of altercation between Lien and Cruz, so it's possible Lien bumped Cruz before Cruz brake checked him. One rider claimed the initial approach around Lien's car was non-violent, but after Lien panicked and drove over Mieses everything pretty much goes to sh**.

No, I mean, what were a few hundred motorcycles doing on the highway and why'd they try to make the Range Rover slow down in the first place?

It looks like the riders, loosely organized around a website called 'Hollywood Stuntz,' were on an annual ride planning to collect in Times Square. At the time they slowed down Lien, they were apparently trying to close the highway.

Close the highway?

Yeah, the New York Post reports that the riders were trying to stop all traffic on the West Side Highway to make room for stunts. The New York Times reports that detectives are looking into this as a possibility.

WHAT? Please tell me this isn't normal.

Bikers beating up a driver is rare, but huge pop-up motorcycle rides are pretty common in the north end of Manhattan and in the Bronx. If you live up here you might see a hundred dirtbikes, quads, and other bikers go by a few times in a summer.

Don't the police shut this stuff down?

New York City Police Commissioner Ray Kelly stated that the NYPD was aware that this ride was going to happen and they successfully kept it out of Times Square. They got over 200 calls, the Times reports. Beyond that, though, the police are instructed not to chase after illegal riders like this, as the Post points out.

Wait, the cops don't chase these guys?

Generally not. It's too easy for these riders to evade the cops by riding on the sidewalk or going against traffic, particularly for the dirt bike riders, and it's therefore dangerous for everyone.

But everyone in this ride is recorded in the video, surely catching them will be easy now.

Not quite. Many of these bikes have no plates at all, and the ones that do often belong on a different bike. Beyond that, these bikers wear masks and helmets so their faces obscured.

So you're saying it's like Grand Theft Auto out there?

A little bit, yeah. These guys ride like ######, they get caught up in mob mentality any time a car driver acts out, and the cops generally don't chase them.

So what the hell am I supposed to do if I'm in Lien's position?

Well, Lien didn't do everything right. As you can see in the video, other drivers make it out of the situation okay by moving slowly to the right. The riders go by those cars, but Lien remains in the center lane, gets brake-checked and things go downhill from there.

If you find yourself in Lien's situation, I would advise that you:

• Move to the right.
  • Slow down
  • Lock your doors.
  • Call the cops.

Basically, just do what you can to let the riders by and get out of the way. When it's you surrounded by a couple hundred bikers, anything you try and do will probably get one of them hurt, and then you'll have hell to pay.

None of this seems like a real solution.

Yeah, these riders taking over streets and highways is pretty bad. If you have a solution, call the NYPD or the Baltimore PD, where they have these dirt bike riders, too.

It can be a sh** show out there, people. Try and stay out of the way.

Source: Jalopnik

So when someone's a dick run them over? Twice.

Biker gangs are often not nice people. The bikers were posing a perceived threat if they'd stopped - they could have rolled the vehicle, dragged them out & assaulted them or set the vehicle on fire. The only way the passengers can gauge intent is their actions, which were abysmal.

Self defense laws allow the use.of whatever means are available, be that a club, pipe, a mag of 16 bullets or 3 tons on 4 wheels.