SUV Runs over biker in NYC

I agree 100% .. I would have fired 2 warning shots - pumped up adrenaline hounds on bikes would then get what they deserve.

I hope you do not own a weapon of any kind.  When you fire a warning shot do you know where those bullets will end up?  Of course not, and those stray bullets are potentially lethal.  Any responsible gun owner would do no such thing.

• Like 3

You joined Neowin simply to post on this thread? I was going to post an intelligent response to this but it's not going to change your opinion. The citizens arrest part was the best part. Thanks for a laugh. *goes to read some "legal books"*

Actually, I am senior system engineer and have been browsing the forums anonymously for some time now. Im a geek like the rest of you, however I also ride motorcycles and understand how careless people can be. Unless you see or hear it for yourself some never believe. As many of you have said, you would die protecting your family, and I would as well. I would also die protecting my friends, especially from someone like that.

Guess what, Internet Tough Guy, if I try to run you over it's because you are posing a threat to me or my family.  Come for them and one of us will end up dead because I would die protecting them.

There was no threat until he ran over the group of bikes. He created that mess himself.

No. You're putting your own life in danger when you swerve in front of a big SUV and brake check the driver at highway speeds.

If you believe that was a brake check then you did not watch the video. The bike clearly slows down in an attempt to get the driver to stop. While he does have his brakes on there was no sudden deceleration, he just slowed down. If you pause the video at 53 seconds you can see the guy laying on the ground after being run over.

There was no threat until he ran over the group of bikes. He created that mess himself.

No the bikers created the mess by making him stop and getting out of their bike in the middle of a highway and blocking the whole highway for other cars which is really dangerous and actually illegal anyway here it's not legal to block a highway. If there was a problem with the SUV driver the bikers should have noted his plate number and called the police.

We can see many bikers not respecting the traffic code in the video.

Actually, I am senior system engineer and have been browsing the forums anonymously for some time now. Im a geek like the rest of you, however I also ride motorcycles and understand how careless people can be. Unless you see or hear it for yourself some never believe. As many of you have said, you would die protecting your family, and I would as well. I would also die protecting my friends, especially from someone like that.

If you believe that was a brake check then you did not watch the video. The bike clearly slows down in an attempt to get the driver to stop. While he does have his brakes on there was no sudden deceleration, he just slowed down. If you pause the video at 53 seconds you can see the guy laying on the ground after being run over.

Brake check != locking up brakes.  You can clearly see it was a brake check because he looked behind him before he did it, and he slowed down much quicker than the rest of the bikes, which shot forward when he did it.

Besides, if he was just slowing down, it wouldn't have been an issue.  Watch the beginning of the video where he hits his brakes to regulate speed and keep distance.  Then this dbag moves in front and brake checks.

If you believe that was a brake check then you did not watch the video.

It was a brake check. Textbook.

If you pause the video at 53 seconds you can see the guy laying on the ground after being run over.

Good. I hope the dumbass learned his lesson.

Being a car driver myself everyday I've witness several times bikers having bad road attitude: not respecting semaphores or other signalization, driving either on the side road or on the middle of it like the road is all theirs, not caring with the traffic and sometimes even making traffic jams with their selfish attitudes. The worse? This all happened and it wasn't just the lone, d*ck rider, but packs of bike riders (families) or even professional riders (pro cycling) who were just simply careless. The legislation protects the bike riders, as the pawns, because they are more vulnerable than cars, but gives them some responsibilities (like respecting exit lanes for cars), not just rights as well.

The bike clearly slows down in an attempt to get the driver to stop. While he does have his brakes on there was no sudden deceleration, he just slowed down.

And what right does he have to stop this individual. As for the threat. We are not sure what happens between the moment of impact (the driver does come to a complete stop at that point), so something must happen during the time frame from stop until 50 seconds that makes the driver speed off (police report indicates multiple bikers hitting the SUV, which sounds like a threat to me)
  • Like 1

Of course I do - one in the left leg, one in the right. Or two into the ground depending on surface.

I might be unstable, but I am not an idiot.

Of course I do - one in the left leg, one in the right. Or two into the ground depending on surface.

I might be unstable, but I am not an idiot.

I did not say you were an idiot, but you are not a responsible gun owner if you think it is appropriate to fire warning shots.  Here is a very good article about firing warning shots - http://www.usacarry.com/warning-shots/

• Like 2

If you're a biker then you know the road isn't owned by bikers any more then car drivers, these bikers clearly were taking over the road. Going off the video alone, the initial hit that started this all was an accident and from the reports coming out, that started a chain of events with the bikers taking action against that accident. Some are saying that right before he ran over the main group before taking off, they surrounded them and tried slashing the tires and breaking the windows. If that's the case, at that point having your family in the car, taking off regardless that they were being blocked, practically anyone would have done the same thing and ran them over. Which pushed those bikers over the edge even further. Those bikers are the ones that took it to far. Group mentality, specially that large of a group is nothing but trouble. 

Here is the same group of bikers from 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znthlgp3Hw

Looks about right for a group of bikers, they get into this mentality that they have more rights on the roadway then anyone else and can do what they want. Then when they obviously can't follow ANY law related to proper driving, like the first guy who cuts the SUV off and slams on his brakes (Biker would be found at fault) they get all crazy with a mob mentality and escalate the situation. In this video they put themselves in the situation and put everyone around them in danger. This is a perfect example of what not to do while on a motorcycle. Not to mention, it takes a specific type of douche bag to act the way some of them acted. 

• Like 3

Good, the bikers were a bunch of ###### in this video.  The SUV first hit the biker by accident.  The SUV stopped and only ran over the bikes when felt threatened.  Then the bikers chased after the SUV and more bikes were run over.  The bikers are lucky the driver was not armed.

But anyway, some bikers are just ###### and when they are in a pack like that...well, best thing to do is take off and call the cops on the way.

In Canada, there are ALOT of idiots who think brake checking is funny.

It is funny actually.  Had a guy tailgating me once an was a few inches from my back bumper.  all other lanes were open.  I slowed down figuring he would pass, but he matched my speed and stayed on my ass.  I flashed my reds and he swerved like he was going to wreck. I laughed my ass off because it served him right.  After that, he stayed behind me even when I slowed own under the speed limit and switched lanes.

It is funny actually.  Had a guy tailgating me once an was a few inches from my back bumper.  all other lanes were open.  I slowed down figuring he would pass, but he matched my speed and stayed on my ass.  I flashed my reds and he swerved like he was going to wreck. I laughed my ass off because it served him right.  After that, he stayed behind me even when I slowed own under the speed limit and switched lanes.

How in the world is that funny?

• Like 2

How in the world is that funny?

After I let my foot off the gas and slow down a good 15 miles under the speed limit and he still stays on my ass while 3 other lanes are open (and I was going 75 in a 65 at the start), then his reaction to seeing my red lights in his face (barely touched the brakes.  only enough to show the lights)...it was funny.  He didnt wreck, we was alright, and even if he did wreck or hit the center barricade, would of been his own damn fault.

No, shooting people is NOT a reasonable response. The SUV driver was able to safely get away by driving at the bikers so there was no need for guns, which would have certainly made the situation worse.

When in a situation where my family is in potential danger, yes, yes it is.

After I let my foot off the gas and slow down a good 15 miles under the speed limit and he still stays on my ass while 3 other lanes are open (and I was going 75 in a 65 at the start), then his reaction to seeing my red lights in his face (barely touched the brakes.  only enough to show the lights)...it was funny.  He didnt wreck, we was alright, and even if he did wreck or hit the center barricade, would of been his own damn fault.

Why didn't you switch lanes if there are 3 other lanes open? That would be my first option...Brake checking is dangerous. It's happened to me before - not that I tailgate people, and worse was people were behind me. 

Are you sure? It looked like he was tailing them getting too close for comfort, and one brake-checked (if you will) to warn him off a little, and then he retaliated aggressively instead of backing off and giving a safe distance. I hate when people ride too close behind me on my bike--it's the single most nerve-wracking thing a person can do... especially a person in a huge SUV, and especially at high speeds. I'm withholding judgement since I wasn't there, but if I had to pick a side, I'd be putting this one on the Range Rover driver.

The video clearly shows the biker stopping short on purpose and then walking his bike backwards into the SUV. Then the group surrounded the SUv and that's when he ran over the biker to get away from the group. They biker shouldn't have stopped and backed his bike into the SUV

• Like 4

Why didn't you switch lanes if there are 3 other lanes open? That would be my first option...Brake checking is dangerous. It's happened to me before - not that I tailgate people, and worse was people were behind me. 

Why didnt the other guy switch lanes after I slowed way down?  The guy thought he owned the road and was being a dick. Better he learned his lesson on an empty road than full of traffic.

Why didnt the other guy switch lanes after I slowed way down?  The guy thought he owned the road and was being a dick. Better he learned his lesson on an empty road than full of traffic.

If you were in the left lane, you were wrong, just move over. He shouldn't have to pass you on the right. If you were in the middle or the right lane, he was wrong, and what you did is ok.

If you were in the left lane, you were wrong, just move over. He shouldn't have to pass you on the right. If you were in the middle or the right lane, he was wrong, and what you did is ok.

Depends on the laws/rules.  Some states, doesnt matter what lane you are in.  Left lane does not always mean get over.