SUV Runs over biker in NYC

One of the bikers was on Erin Burnett this evening. First off he seemed very sketchy. He blamed the whole thing on the SUV driver. Said the bikers did nothing wrong at all. What a load of BS. Erin even called him on it and he kept with his "SUV driver was a maniac" story.

I really hope the cops come down hard on these a-holes.

One of the bikers was on Erin Burnett this evening. First off he seemed very sketchy. He blamed the whole thing on the SUV driver. Said the bikers did nothing wrong at all. What a load of BS. Erin even called him on it and he kept with his "SUV driver was a maniac" story.

I really hope the cops come down hard on these a-holes.

I'm sure a significant amount of people will buy Erin's story. Considering how nearly 20k likes on that facebook page now.

I'm sure a significant amount of people will buy Erin's story. Considering how nearly 20k likes on that facebook page now.

People are dumb. Plain and simple.

If someone thinks they are smart and a white knight, and justified in blatently ignoring facts and what they see and goes on around them because the TV or social media or whatever tells them to... well then, they are text book idiots.

This event has me angry. As a parent and driver, this is BS. The bikers were total dbags to this guy, and I don't care if he might have done something to make the dude angry.. riding IN a lane with a car, then zooming in front, then brake checking, then getting hit, then surrounding the car and running up, then chasing rather than calling cops and letting them do it, well... idiots.

I want to give them all a stern talking to.

• Like 1

after seeing the other video's of them, they really didn't give a crap about anyone else on the road, i'm surprised no one else was killed or injured before that incident.

one things for sure, if there ever is a similar event next time, it will most likely be heavily policed after watching that footage. disregarding red lights, driving on the wrong side of the road or side walk. these idiots make all bikers look bad.

Are you sure? It looked like he was tailing them getting too close for comfort, and one brake-checked (if you will) to warn him off a little, and then he retaliated aggressively instead of backing off and giving a safe distance. I hate when people ride too close behind me on my bike--it's the single most nerve-wracking thing a person can do... especially a person in a huge SUV, and especially at high speeds. I'm withholding judgement since I wasn't there, but if I had to pick a side, I'd be putting this one on the Range Rover driver.

The biker instigated it by slowing down in front of him. The video clearly shows that there was no traffic in front of him. You can't instigate a situation then get mad when the thing you're trying to instigate happens.

The group of bikers comes off as nothing but a bunch of thugs on bikes.

• Like 2

Most bikers are just regular people out for a cruise. However, biker gangs certainly exist. Where I just moved from in Pennsylvania holds this event each year called Thunder in the Valley. There are many locals, but most people are from other states. They ride in with dozens of bikes at a time. Most of the time, they do just fine. Other times they like to break the rules of the road just because they feel some kind of special entitlement. The SUV driver was not wrong. He was trying to protect his family. The bikers were driving far too close to him from the beginning. If people want to drive recklessly near me, they should think twice. I will swerve to avoid you once or maybe twice if you are lucky, but do not push your luck. My full-sized vehicle is always going to be bigger than your Harley. It might not be as loud and it might not look as cool, but it has a few thousand pounds of steel that will quickly make you roadkill if you are too careless.

Reading up on the story one of the bikers had their legs crushed and may be paralyzed, few bikes were demolished and the range rover driver has a banged up car and minor lacerations on his face from when they broke his window.

Watching the video though, sure I would've done the same if my family was in danger but the range rover driver isn't as innocent as people make him out to be, when the biker infront of him brake checked him he had the time to honk his horn a few times before he hit into him but not enough time to press the brakes? The bikers go past hundreds of cars yet they single out this one.. why?

The SUV driver panicked and caused some serous injuries to one biker (could have easily been more) but the bikers put him in a panic that caused it.

I'd personally prefer if all of them lost there licenses for awhile (inc the SUV driver)

The prosecutors see it as being instigated by a gang attack on a family, and that can bring in the Castle and Stand You Ground doctrines since many state Castle laws cover home and vehicle.

Once the attack starts the man could defend himself and his family from perceived attackers by whatever means are available; pistol, shotgun, bow, club or a 6,000+ lb SUV. No jury would ever convict him anyhow after seeing that tape, and it would come in.

SUV Gang Assault: Third Biker is Arraigned, Flips Bird in Court

A third motorcycle gang member involved in the vicious beating of an SUV driver was arraigned on Sunday. Reginald Chance, 37, was charged with several felonies, including gang assault in the first degree. Chance is the biker who is accused of smashing out a window on the SUV so the other bikers could get to the driver.

Chance, a career criminal who has been arrested 21 times in the past, will remain in jail unless his family can come up with the $100,000 bond the judge set for him. The biker certainly didn?t seem too bothered by the charges he faces, as he took the opportunity to flip off reporters in court.

motorcycleedw.JPG

Gregory Watts, Chance?s lawyer, issued a statement on his client?s part in the SUV gang assault and says that Chance was knocked off his motorcycle by the SUV driver, Alexian Lien, and simply went too far trying to identify the driver.

?The law does permit someone who is a victim of an accident to at least attempt to get the identification of the motorist,? Watts said. ?My client obviously overreacted in that manner, but he is not this thug assaulting someone who?s harmless, contrary to the public opinion that?s being put out there.?

Watts further says that Chance didn?t participate in the assault. ?My client obviously overreacted in smashing the window, but beyond that he was not a participant in any assault on the victim,? Watts said. Watts may think that all Chance did was ?overreact,? but the district attorney in the case says that Chance?s role in the beating was pivotal.

By smashing the window, Chance?s actions ?set into motion a chain of events that resulted in the driver being dragged out of his vehicle and beaten? by others, Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Samantha Turino said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lsZ0RrempoI

The SUV gang assault occurred on September 29 when a group of bikers surrounded Lien and his family, forcing them to stop. The bikers then proceeded to bust out a window in Lien?s Range Rover and beat him in front of his wife and toddler. Police are still investigating the crime and are looking into claims that two off-duty police officers stood by and did nothing to intervene during the assault.

Source: WebProNews

A real bastion of society this group...

turns out there were 3 undercover police in the ride, 1 witnessed the whole incident, did nothing to stop any of it and is not talking, even to the police and has gotten a lawyer.

something very odd going on.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-33816_162-57606195/new-york-road-rage-incident-three-nypd-cops-took-part-in-motorcycle-ride/

It means he's undercover for something else much, worse and bigger than a street row and he doesn't want to get burned for some ###### like this.

• Like 3

An undercover New York police detective at the scene of the beating of a driver by a pack of angry motorcyclists is seen on video attacking the SUV, police sources familiar with the investigation tell NBC News.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the video shows the undercover officer banging on the rear window and shattering it. The victim is then seen being pulled out of the car and the undercover rides off, sources say.

The video is not the one that has been widely distributed on YouTube, but has been reviewed by investigators, the sources said. It's not clear when the video surfaced but investigators learned of it late Monday.

The new video calls into question the version of events which a number of officials say they were able to construct from people close to the undercover officer, who has not yet officially spoken to authorities.

Already criticized for waiting four days to come forward and acknowledge he was present at the scene, the officer could now face criminal and departmental charges.

This account was first published in the New York Post and confirmed by WNBC, the NBC owned-and-operated station in New York.

The undercover NYPD cop is a veteran officer who has spent virtually all of his career undercover, sources say.

As is sometimes the case in undercover operations , the officer was unarmed when the bikers he was riding with attacked driver Alexian Lien on Sept. 29. And as is almost always the case, he was not carrying a badge.

Two sources say the officer is assigned to the NYPD?s Intelligence Division. But they did not provide details on his assignment, or whether his actions, or lack of them, were meant to preserve his cover.

All files related to his career have been locked down by the NYPD?s Internal Affairs Bureau, and his assignment, whatever it was, is now over. While the officer did not take part in the assault, for which three other bikers have so far been charged, he is under investigation for waiting several days before disclosing that he was present.

Michael Palladino, president of the NYPD detectives' union, the Detectives' Endowment Association, said the undercover officer had to make a difficult decision.

"Compromising his identity could compromise all the work he's doing and his safety as well," said Palladino. "It's very difficult to lead a double life."

As many as five other off-duty police officers may have been riding with the hundreds of motorcyclists who flooded Manhattan on Sept. 29 as part of an annual biker event called Hollywood Stuntz.

Police have so far charged three men in connection with the assault on the driver, Lien, who was pulled from his vehicle and beaten in front of his wife and daughter in an incident captured on videotape, and have fourth in custody awaiting charges. They are asking for the public?s help in finding more and are circulating photos. They are concentrating on the five or six individuals allegedly directly involved in the beating.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20870446-undercover-cop-seen-on-video-attacking-suv?lite

An undercover New York police detective at the scene of the beating of a driver by a pack of angry motorcyclists is seen on video attacking the SUV, police sources familiar with the investigation tell NBC News.

The sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said the video shows the undercover officer banging on the rear window and shattering it. The victim is then seen being pulled out of the car and the undercover rides off, sources say.

The video is not the one that has been widely distributed on YouTube, but has been reviewed by investigators, the sources said. It's not clear when the video surfaced but investigators learned of it late Monday.

The new video calls into question the version of events which a number of officials say they were able to construct from people close to the undercover officer, who has not yet officially spoken to authorities.

Already criticized for waiting four days to come forward and acknowledge he was present at the scene, the officer could now face criminal and departmental charges.

This account was first published in the New York Post and confirmed by WNBC, the NBC owned-and-operated station in New York.

The undercover NYPD cop is a veteran officer who has spent virtually all of his career undercover, sources say.

As is sometimes the case in undercover operations , the officer was unarmed when the bikers he was riding with attacked driver Alexian Lien on Sept. 29. And as is almost always the case, he was not carrying a badge.

Two sources say the officer is assigned to the NYPD?s Intelligence Division. But they did not provide details on his assignment, or whether his actions, or lack of them, were meant to preserve his cover.

All files related to his career have been locked down by the NYPD?s Internal Affairs Bureau, and his assignment, whatever it was, is now over. While the officer did not take part in the assault, for which three other bikers have so far been charged, he is under investigation for waiting several days before disclosing that he was present.

Michael Palladino, president of the NYPD detectives' union, the Detectives' Endowment Association, said the undercover officer had to make a difficult decision.

"Compromising his identity could compromise all the work he's doing and his safety as well," said Palladino. "It's very difficult to lead a double life."

As many as five other off-duty police officers may have been riding with the hundreds of motorcyclists who flooded Manhattan on Sept. 29 as part of an annual biker event called Hollywood Stuntz.

Police have so far charged three men in connection with the assault on the driver, Lien, who was pulled from his vehicle and beaten in front of his wife and daughter in an incident captured on videotape, and have fourth in custody awaiting charges. They are asking for the public?s help in finding more and are circulating photos. They are concentrating on the five or six individuals allegedly directly involved in the beating.

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/10/08/20870446-undercover-cop-seen-on-video-attacking-suv?lite

He isn't undercover anymore with those details, heh.

That's very concerning, if true. Even if the officer was undercover they didn't have to take such a proactive role in the incident. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true though, when you see what police officers get up to.

That's very concerning, if true. Even if the officer was undercover they didn't have to take such a proactive role in the incident. It wouldn't surprise me if it's true though, when you see what police officers get up to.

In order for undercover work to be at all effective, officers often must take a proactive role in the criminal activity.  They are typically trying to work their way to getting access to a particular 'top' person, and they won't get there by being complacent in the group that they are infiltrating.

In order for undercover work to be at all effective, officers often must take a proactive role in the criminal activity.  They are typically trying to work their way to getting access to a particular 'top' person, and they won't get there by being complacent in the group that they are infiltrating.

I think the actions taken here go far beyond what is acceptable for police work.

I think the actions taken here go far beyond what is acceptable for police work.

I think most undercover police work goes beyond what I consider to be acceptable as a tax paying citizen.  But what I think as an individual doesn't matter much....