SUV Runs over biker in NYC

It is funny actually.  Had a guy tailgating me once an was a few inches from my back bumper.  all other lanes were open.  I slowed down figuring he would pass, but he matched my speed and stayed on my ass.  I flashed my reds and he swerved like he was going to wreck. I laughed my ass off because it served him right.  After that, he stayed behind me even when I slowed own under the speed limit and switched lanes.

looks like he was intentionally being stupid. What's odd is that you are willing to wreak/damage your vehicle (and potentially risk injury to yourself) just to "deal" with this mans stupidity. I wouldn't have.

Looks like a crappy situation but the Range Rover had few options. Thought I wouldn't have driven into a congested road at the end of the video. 

I think he was hoping that a more public area would be safer.

A couple of reports are claiming that the bikers spiked his tires and by the time the video concluded, they had gone flat and he was out of options.

If you watch the video at the tail end, it looks like the front driver's side is flat, and we can't see the passenger side at all.

looks like he was intentionally being stupid. What's odd is that you are willing to wreak/damage your vehicle (and potentially risk injury to yourself) just to "deal" with this mans stupidity. I wouldn't have.

Missed where I said that I barely touched my brakes?  Just enough to flash the lights.  I didnt slow down at all.  Not like I slammed on my brakes.

When in a situation where my family is in potential danger, yes, yes it is.

I don't have a problem with people using any means necessary?proportional to the threat?to protect their family. So with guns being legal in the US if somebody is trying to enter your vehicle and attack and/or kill your family then it would be reasonable to shoot them. However, allowing drivers to be armed will increase the number of shootings stemming from road rage. In the US there were several road rage shootings last month alone and that was just from a casual Google search. By comparison I'm not aware of ANY taking place in the UK. The risks far outweigh the benefits.

And what right does he have to stop this individual. As for the threat. We are not sure what happens between the moment of impact (the driver does come to a complete stop at that point), so something must happen during the time frame from stop until 50 seconds that makes the driver speed off (police report indicates multiple bikers hitting the SUV, which sounds like a threat to me)

Some sites are reporting that the driver in the SUV had called 911 prior to this reporting erratic and aggressive driving from them.

Depends on the laws/rules.  Some states, doesnt matter what lane you are in.  Left lane does not always mean get over.

It's common courtesy, move out of the way of faster moving traffic, your job isn't to 'police', slow down, traffic. I agree, simply engaging the lights, and not actually braking is ok... if you aren't in the left lane policing it.

At the beginning of the video the biker directly to the left front of the vehicle is seen to look back in the direction of the driver and Id say mouthing some sort of protest as to his driving style [possibly because he was driving in the centre lane or something previous to the clip] .Directly afterwards the biker pulls in front of the vehicle and brakes to the point of his tyre touching the vehicles bumper.After this is escalates into a free for all street rampage of careless drivers on both sides with no regard to other road users or pedestrians.

It's common courtesy, move out of the way of faster moving traffic, your job isn't to 'police', slow down, traffic. I agree, simply engaging the lights, and not actually braking is ok... if you aren't in the left lane policing it.

No, not policing.  I was just drving a long and all of a sudden, someone was on my ass.  Not like I was in the lane controlling traffic.

No, not policing.  I was just drving a long and all of a sudden, someone was on my ass.  Not like I was in the lane controlling traffic.

Still, no matter how fast I go, if someone faster than me is behind me, and I'm in the left lane, I'm in the wrong and should move over.

I usually look in my rear-view (something most people don't) and try to move over before this becomes an issue though.

The only exception to this rule is traffic.

Still, no matter how fast I go, if someone faster than me is behind me, and I'm in the left lane, I'm in the wrong and should move over.

I usually look in my rear-view (something most people don't) and try to move over before this becomes an issue though.

The only exception to this rule is traffic.

In some places it is really important.

It is illegal here to use the right lane as a passing lane, so when someone camps out in the left lane doing 10 under on the Interstate/Freeway, it becomes a real issue.  They are breaking the law by hanging out there (it is meant to be a passing lane), and you will break the law if you go around them (which is an issue if a cop notices you and not them).

Too many idiots watching Sons of Anarchy and thinking they are badass bikers.

On a completely sort of related topic... One of my favorite things to do in GTA Vice City was drive around at full speed in a car and smoke people on motorcylces.

• Like 2

In some places it is really important.

It is illegal here to use the right lane as a passing lane, so when someone camps out in the left lane doing 10 under on the Interstate/Freeway, it becomes a real issue.  They are breaking the law by hanging out there (it is meant to be a passing lane), and you will break the law if you go around them (which is an issue if a cop notices you and not them).

Exactly, I'm not the type that likes to be messed with, I had someone cut over in front of me without using their turn signals (I was in the left lane) forcing me to slam my brakes to miss them, and then has the balls to wave at me and give me the finger. I easily went on the shoulder, around them, and simply drove on. I didn't brake check them and I didn't even look if they flicked me off, I know I could of stooped to their level, but I rather be done with stupidity and move on. I do not care if you want to drive slow, just do it in the right place.

If it doesn't effect you at all, I do not know why you care if I drive fast if I use my signals and keep proper distance. When you drive slow in the wrong lanes and never signal YOU are the problem.

Also, I would like to point out that when people with different driving habits meet up is usually when an accident happens. If the world worked like this it would be better:

Slower traffic keep right.

Keep a good distance away from the car in front of you.

Don't change lanes to pass slow moving traffic if it means even faster moving traffic has to slow down because of you.

Use you signals, even when you think you are alone or far away from people, just use them!

DO NOT STAY AROUND TRUCKS, ALWAYS PASS THEM, QUIT MAKING A ROLLING ROAD BLOCK BY KEEPING EVEN WITH SOMETHING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO BE GOING 10MPH SLOWER THAN YOU!!!

and the most important one:

QUIT BEING SELFISH!

Biker At Start Of Terrifying Range Rover Attack Arrested

ku-bigpic.jpg

Yesterday the world saw a Range Rover driver run over a number of motorcyclists, sparking a massive chase through NYC that ended in the SUV driver getting beaten in front of his family. Now the police have arrested the motorcycle rider at the very start of the incident.

28-year-old Christopher Cruz can be seen in the video (and in the screenshot above) in a white t-shirt slowing down in the middle lane of the West Side Highway, right in front of the now-famous black Range Rover driven by 33-year-old Alexian Lien with his wife and two-year-old in the car. Cruz got hit by the Range Rover for this brake check and was later hospitalized and released for minor injuries, reports the New York Post.

The police have since arrested Cruz and thrown the book at him, effectively marking him responsible for the half-hour chase that ended with Alexian Lien beaten and his car smashed. Police charged Cruz with reckless endangerment, reckless driving, endangering the welfare of a child, and menacing, reports the New York Post.

What's worst about this whole incident is that much of it seems to stem from a number of misunderstandings. According to motorcyclist Rene Towles present during the ride and later interviewed by the New York Times, the bikers who surrounded Lien's Range Rover after Lien rear-ended Cruz didn't intend to be violent at all.

?No biker became aggressive with the driver after the incident,? said Mr. Towles, who belongs to a Brooklyn motorcycle club. ?People were just trying to find out what just happened.?

This quote specifically refers to when Lien first hit Cruz, not later stops that ended with Lien getting beaten.

It's also in this first stop when Lien takes off for the first time, which is when one rider got his legs broken, according to earlier police reports. One Facebook group titled "Justice for Jay Meezee," however, claims that the rider was named Jeremiah Mieses (pictured below in the purple shirt on the green motorcycle), and that his injuries extend far beyond broken legs.

Broken Spine, Broken Ribs, Crushed Lungs, Busted Aorta and the list is endless! Currently in a Coma and Paralyzed from the waist down!!

ku-xlarge.jpg

Justice for Jay Meezee also posted the following two pictures of Mieses in the hospital.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Source: Jalopnik

• Like 2

Fair enough. See, I knew we didn't have all the facts before. Looks like justice came through once all the evidence trickled in.

what a douche. It sucks that that other guy who wasn't directly involved got injured so badly.

I was just going to post that article from Jalopnik. I'm glad that ass**** got arrested. 

• Like 3

Fair enough. See, I knew we didn't have all the facts before. Looks like justice came through once all the evidence trickled in.

what a douche. It sucks that that other guy who wasn't directly involved got injured so badly.

Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for others to get hurt when someone panics.

This still doesn't explain why that a-hole brake checked him in the first place.

Justice for Jay Meezee also posted the following two pictures of Mieses in the hospital.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Source: Jalopnik

That's ridiculous.  :angry: There is no excuse for chasing him down and attacking him like that, especially not when the bikers provoked the encounter. I'm glad that at least some of the bikers are being held to account.

This happened with in a few miles of me, the only thing I would have done different is at the end I would have reversed to run them over again or did donuts until the cops showed up. I would have never given them the chance to smash the window the driver got scared and his wife was probably screaming as well.

I have kids and brother who are bikers, my brother don't like the video and know the bikers are at fault. Any one who watched this and roots for the bikers is a dumb ass, the guy slowed down on purpose and the SUV driver may have been nervous and didn't it see it right away he is watching many at one time.

Any reasoning with these guys would have landed in an ass kicking, if fact he may have made it better as he scared the ###### out of the bikers. They may have followed in packs of tens but only 2-3 got involved in the first helmet fist thrown what a bunch of ######'s.

Didn't even beat the guy up properly this is the worst bike gang ever!

That's ridiculous.  :angry: There is no excuse for chasing him down and attacking him like that, especially not when the bikers provoked the encounter. I'm glad that at least some of the bikers are being held to account.

These pics are of another biker the SUV driver hit when he was plowing through them, not the driver himself. This guy was pretty much an innocent bystander and has the worst injuries :(

These pics are of another biker the SUV driver hit when he was plowing through them, not the driver himself. This guy was pretty much an innocent bystander and has the worst injuries :(

My apologies for the mistake. That's horrible. :(