Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses

However, why did these 2 guys go here when they knew it was going to cause problems ?  If they simply wanted to get married, why go to the County that has a known problem with giving same sex licenses ?  They can get a license anywhere.

Its their County where they live

However, why did these 2 guys go here when they knew it was going to cause problems ?  If they simply wanted to get married, why go to the County that has a known problem with giving same sex licenses ?  They can get a license anywhere.

Let's not turn this around on 2 people who want to get married as the law allows them.  If the government or it's representatives are blatantly disregarding their job in favour of some personal religion, that needs highlighting. 

• Like 8

Throw her in jail, she becomes a martyr for the cause and will be huge in republican circles (you know, the only group of "good" Christians in the world). Fine her, she will have other people pay for it. Either way, she wins.

Throw her in jail, she becomes a martyr for the cause and will be huge in republican circles (you know, the only group of "good" Christians in the world). Fine her, she will have other people pay for it. Either way, she wins.

Bus in a clerk who will do it, 5$ says she would get violent to stop it happening.

It was not just gays couples. The clerk has refused to issue licenses to straight couples and these couples sued her too.

And the 'they can go to another county office' does not really work: first, this assumes that only a few county offices refuses to issue licenses but what if the majority refused it? What if a couple had to cross half a state to get to a county that gives licenses. That would be a burden to the couples to have access to federally recognized and lawful rights

Bus in a clerk who will do it, 5$ says she would get violent to stop it happening.

There is a clerk in her office willing to give out the licenses to gay couples but she is not allowed.

There is a clerk in her office willing to give out the licenses to gay couples but she is not allowed.

But she is allowed. It's just her stupidity preventing her.

Because they live in that county. Why should they have to travel to another county to get a license?

I read these posts and am admittedly happy to see so many like-minded atheists

I'm not an atheist. I can't prove to you God isn't real anymore than you can prove to me God is real. I don't really have an issue with religion in of itself, the problem is people who refuse to keep it to themselves and believe that it should be influencing public policy, like this woman clearly does.

I remember a good George Carlin bit where he redid the Ten Commandments... "Thou shalt try really hard not to kill anyone, unless of course they pray to a different invisible man than me" and "Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself."

• Like 2

Because they live in that county. Why should they have to travel to another county to get a license?

Exactly. Law is the law. They have the right to go to any county they want to get a marriage license.

Granted, of course, individual states can and do have their own laws regarding certain things. But this isn't one of those scenarios.

It would be funny if the Pope called her out about being an ignorant Christian.

It wouldn't matter, unfortunately. Because papal infallibility is just as "negotiable" as anything within the Bible.

Exactly. Law is the law. They have the right to go to any county they want to get a marriage license.

Granted, of course, individual states can and do have their own laws regarding certain things. But this isn't one of those scenarios.

Some people forget religious / personal freedoms allow you to practice your beliefs (within confines of the law, aka don't kill, steal, etc.)
It's not the ability to deny others their religious / personal freedoms because it's against yours views.

So she can't be temporarily suspended or "forced" onto vacation/leave and someone else take her place until all this gets resolved?  She is obviously not doing her duty as elected.  Her religious beliefs are not relevant to her job duties.  If they were they would have been outlined in said duties/description.

Some people forget religious / personal freedoms allow you to practice your beliefs (within confines of the law, aka don't kill, steal, etc.)
It's not the ability to deny others their religious / personal freedoms because it's against yours views.

And it's so sad that so many supposed "good Christians" want their beliefs to trump laws that guarantee personal freedoms.

A good example of policy overriding religious belief was when it was ruled that Mormons do not have the right to practice polygamy, because it was against the law, despite being acceptable within their religion. (Keep in mind this ruling happened back in the 19th century. from what I understand, Mormonism has since become against polygamy). 

• Like 1

So she can't be temporarily suspended or "forced" onto vacation/leave and someone else take her place until all this gets resolved?  She is obviously not doing her duty as elected.  Her religious beliefs are not relevant to her job duties.  If they were they would have been outlined in said duties/description.

It seems nowadays, the only way proper procedure is followed is when the media and other sources pick up on the story and don't leave it alone. Basically, once this county office gets enough PR heat, they'll ultimately take action. (I guess there isn't enough yet). And by "take action," yes... They'll give her a paid vacation until people forget about this "scandal" and go back to the other pressing matters of society, like changing the Redskins name or wondering what new dress some celebrity will wear.

Look how many times companies like Comcast or Lenovo stop bad behavior once it becomes public knowledge.

It was not just gays couples. The clerk has refused to issue licenses to straight couples and these couples sued her too.

And the 'they can go to another county office' does not really work: first, this assumes that only a few county offices refuses to issue licenses but what if the majority refused it? What if a couple had to cross half a state to get to a county that gives licenses. That would be a burden to the couples to have access to federally recognized and lawful rights

Let's not turn this around on 2 people who want to get married as the law allows them.  If the government or it's representatives are blatantly disregarding their job in favour of some personal religion, that needs highlighting. 

I wasnt trying to turn things around - I was just wondering if they were hoping or knowingly going to stir up some crap.  I think they have every right to live or love whomever they want - it doesnt affect me 1 bit.  I was kind of wondering "out loud" if they went to that specific courthouse because they knew she would be against it.

• Like 1

I am sure these 2 guys knew it would stir up trouble.  It really is about standing up for your rights and as long as they do it in a non violent way, really no big deal.

I wasnt trying to turn things around - I was just wondering if they were hoping or knowingly going to stir up some crap.  I think they have every right to live or love whomever they want - it doesnt affect me 1 bit.  I was kind of wondering "out loud" if they went to that specific courthouse because they knew she would be against it.

Yeah they’re sure having a hell of a time, nothing starts a honeymoon better than being treated like scum by the representatives your tax dollars fund.  

It's possible, but again, it shouldn't matter. The Supreme Court said this clerk has to issue the licenses, that's the end of it. It's their local county clerkhouse, they shouldn't feel compelled to go out of their way somewhere else. And frankly, if they did specifically go there to stir up trouble, good. This bigot should be exposed for what she is.

I think she's right. Now we have big brother telling a cake business they MUST make a cake for a same sex couple!?! 

I can't wait until Elul 29 ,a jewish date on the jewish calendar. we have desecrated marriage (2015) during the sabbath year and then again in 1973 a sabbath year again with Roe vs Wade. Elul 29 is a day of judgement on America.

Guess what happens? 1. debts are cleared 2. all financial accounts are cleared. So What I think is going to happen is, we saw that 1,000 point drop due to Chinas currency devaluation, the stock market will have a massive collapse. as a judgement.

do you know the location of where the colonists declared the GOD of Israel as our GOD? ground zero.. the SAME ground zero for 9-11 again another sabbath year. so by the 17th of Sept 2001, the stock market collapsed and the WTC towers as ground zero as mentioned before was judged.

I applaud this woman. she is standing up for her principles... those who stand for nothing, will fall for anything. I respect her for her stance. Judgement cometh! 8/11/15 UPDATE: Elul 29 = September 13th in 2015

"As noted in my April blog, "Jonathan Cahn: The Harbinger", there is an intriguing phenomenon surrounding the date of Elul 29 on the Jewish calendar.  As Rabbi Cahn discovered and spelled out in his book, The Harbinger, on this last day on the Jewish calendar in the last two Sabbatical Years, 2001 and 2008 (Sabbatical Years occur every seven years under Jewish tradition), two of the three largest point drops in the DJIA in stock market history occurred:"

ScreenShot052[1].jpg

It's so hard to listen to this woman and I want to reply to her so bad starting with the words of SNL's Dan Aykroyd "Kim (Jane), you ignorant slut,".

• Like 1