Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses

Being reported that more officials on other counties are denying marriages as well.  And it just isnt gay marriage, its all marriage.  And they brought Kim Davis in to the court room a little while ago to try and do a deal.  Something about if she would interfere if she let the deputies approve the gay marriages.  If she does, them I am betting she is going back to jail real quick.

If that's the case, treat them just like Kim Davis... Relieve them of their federally mandated duties that state marriage licenses must be issued.

Yea she is in jail and the deputies are to issue the marriage licenses.  Funny how it is being said her religious freedom is coming under attack in a country where which allows such religious liberty.  Tho what she is doing is denying certain rights which is also big in the US.  All she had to do was step down and she would keep her faith in tact.  Pretty dumb

2016 Republican candidates rally around Ky. clerk Kim Davis

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/03/politics/2016-kim-davis-presidential-candidates-responses/

Good grief! All I am looking for is a presidential candidate who is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Instead we get religious loonies on one side and incompetent buffoons like Hillary who don't know how to handle sensitive emails on the other.

Listen, the way I see it, we have 10-20% of the population who are far-right, and 10-20% who are far-left. I guess I fall in between, in that I just want someone who will just do what is best for the country as a whole, and not cater to some particular constituency.

Is that too much to ask?

Kim Davis is certainly entitled to her beliefs, but not when they encroach on the legal rights of others. Period!

Of course career politicans are going to rally around this "Christian martyr," especially with Trump being a factor. They are going to do and say anything that will ensure their loyal fan base doesn't abandon them.

The funny thing is that far rights and far lefts actually have a great deal in common. Have you heard of the horseshoe theory? It's hard to get a middle of the road politician popular specifically because it's so hard to find a fanbase that isn't fanatical about something one way or the other. I wish there was a moderate politician who was fiscally conservative and socially liberal, but it just won't happen because most moderates don't have a zeal about politics the way the crazies on both sides do.

"Kim Davis in federal custody removes all doubts about the criminalization of Christianity in this country. We must defend #ReligiousLiberty!" tweeted former Gov. Mike Huckabee.

Wow, this guy is a tool.  No one is denying her anything.  She can freely be a Christian but must follow the law and not discriminate others.  Davis says is not about the people being guy....well, of course it is about them being gay.  If there were no gay people, there wouldnt be an issue on gay marriage and no laws granting gay people the same rights as straight.  Apparently it is ok to discriminate against ones one thing but not another.   Bunch of morons

So if Mr. Huckabee believes in religious liberty, I assume he'll be taking a stand against the rampant profiling that occurs at airports just because an American citizen "looks" like he may be Muslim, and thus automatically a terrorist? I don't recall your average, god-fearing Christian being treated in this way.

Wow, this guy is a tool.

Huckabee is nothing more than your usual religious loony. He's a clown who, of course, has his own show on Fox (Sunday mornings, IIRC). Fortunately, he's not usually taken seriously and he of course knows he has no real chance of ever getting a nomination. But he always provides a good laugh or two with some of the things he says.

As with any public official/employee of tax payer dollars, she took an oath to do her job and observe the laws of the state/city/county she is employed by. If she has some religious beliefs that conflict with that oath to the point where she cannot get past them she needs to step down or change her religious beliefs. It's as simple as that.

• Like 6

As with any public official/employee of tax payer dollars, she took an oath to do her job and observe the laws of the state/city/county she is employed by. If she has some religious beliefs that conflict with that oath to the point where she cannot get past them she needs to step down or change her religious beliefs. It's as simple as that.

Pretty much. 

I'm sure it has been said .. but she is issuing a license legalizing a couple's marriage in Kentucky ... not performing some religious ceremony that goes against her faith

Just issue the dang license and do the job you were elected to do.  If you have a problem carrying out legal duties ... find another job.

In the grand scheme of things, yes it is. Again, I am 50-50 on the issue.

You're 50/50 on wether people should enjoy equal rights to others regardless of their sexual orientation. 

Was watching the Fox Entertainment Channel last night and they, of course, immediately defended her. The main argument being, "why don't so-and-so just go somewhere else?" I wanted to call in and say, "because they shouldn't have to."

Why do I get the feeling if Kim Davis was a Muslim citing her faithfulness to the Koran, she wouldn't have nearly as many supporters?

I am pretty sure this Fox News ###### Bingo card is going to be useful

Fox-News-Bingo.thumb.png.694c746b64f2353

• Like 1

I am 50-50 on this issue. It is a very fine line to tread on. 

Please, develop your point. 

I'm sure it has been said .. but she is issuing a license legalizing a couple's marriage in Kentucky ... not performing some religious ceremony that goes against her faith

Just issue the dang license and do the job you were elected to do.  If you have a problem carrying out legal duties ... find another job.

That is exactly what the federal judge said in his first judgement: she is a clerk whose job consists in validating the form the couple has to fill and verify that the couples marriage is valid under KY law.

Speaking of form, one thing she and her lawyers proposed to have a web site where couples would fill an online form. So, she would end up without her job as her position would be replaced ultimately by a computer.

After that, I find the cognitive dissonance in the GOP candidates phenomenal: the SCOTUS and a federal judge have reached decision but, accordng to them, the law should be ignored. OK, in that case, if Mr Huckabee/Jindal/Paul or any of these closet anarchists are to be elected, why should we follow the decisions they would take? If we can ignore the judicial branch, why not ignoring the legislative or executive branches??? I think I am going to do that: I am going to drive 120 mph on the freeway and if the police catches me, I will just say that I can ignore them and keep on speeding.

Edited by DefyTheOutcome
Forgot a paragraph

So... Her religious freedom is being stifled? Let's look at it another way.

No doubt when she leaves jail, she will step down, or be forced to somehow.  Her job was in direct conflict with her religious beliefs.

Problem solved - she is now free of the shackles of her job to pursue her religious beliefs.

Why is the job of county clerk a voted for position anyway? She's not a politician, she's just an office worker, not really any different to anyone else.  In the UK, we don't vote for local officers of the court and so on... We just vote for local politicians and they are the ones entrusted to do the rest as part of their jobs.

This means that if some drone doesn't do their jobs, such as in this case, they can be suspended or even fired. End of problem.

• Like 1

And now ... http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gay-couple-gets-license-to-wed-in-ky-county/ar-AAdWizc

MOREHEAD, Ky. — A gay couple emerged from a Kentucky county clerk's office with a marriage license in hand Friday morning, embracing and crying as the defiant clerk who runs the office remained jailed for her refusal to issue the licenses because she opposed same-sex marriage.

William Smith Jr. and James Yates, a couple for nearly a decade, were the first to receive a marriage license Friday morning in Rowan County. Deputy clerk Brian Mason issued the license, congratulating the couple and shaking their hands as he smiled. After the couple paid the license fee of $35.50, James Yates rushed across the steps of the courthouse to hug his mom as both cried.

"This means at least for this area that civil rights are civil rights and they are not subject to belief," said Yates, who had been denied a license five times previously. He said he and Smith were optimistic they would get a license when they arrived, in part because the deputy clerk, Mason, had always been respectful when they came previously.

Told ya ...

Wow! Interracial marriage is still a thing to be opposed to? I guess old people are not dying off fast enough.

The best part of the article...

"Bardwell has said he always asks if a couple is interracial and, if they are, refers them to another justice of the peace. Bardwell said no one had complained in the past and he doesn't marry the couples because he's worried about their children's futures.

"Perhaps he's worried the kids will grow up and be president," said Bill Quigley, director of the Center for Constitutional Rights and Justice, referring to President Barack Obama, the son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas."

• Like 2

Please, develop your point. 

I did, and it's my point. Adding additional commentary is not necessary, nor is this the appropriate venue.

"Bardwell has said he always asks if a couple is interracial and, if they are, refers them to another justice of the peace. Bardwell said no one had complained in the past and he doesn't marry the couples because he's worried about their children's futures.

Some people are really head scratching worthy.