Kentucky clerk still won't issue same-sex marriage licenses

A defiant Kentucky county clerk, who has been ordered to face a federal judge on Thursday in a hearing about her refusal to issue marriage licenses to gay couples, says she won't resign.

“Some people have said I should resign, but I have done my job well,” Rowan County Clerk Kim Davis said in a statement posted to the website of the lawfirm that represents her, Liberty Counsel.

“I never imagined a day like this would come, where I would be asked to violate a central teaching of Scripture and of Jesus Himself regarding marriage,” Davis said in the statement. “To issue a marriage license which conflicts with God’s definition of marriage, with my name affixed to the certificate, would violate my conscience. It is not a light issue for me. It is a Heaven or Hell decision. For me it is a decision of obedience.”

Davis' office has steadfastly denied marriage licenses since the Supreme Court legalized gay marriage this summer, and that practice continued Tuesday morning when at least two same-sex couples were denied as Davis invoked "God's authority." Rowan County Attorney Cecil Watkins says the federal court alerted him later Tuesday morning that a hearing was scheduled for 11 a.m. Thursday in Ashland. Watkins says clerk Kim Davis is summonsed to attend, along with all the deputy clerks who work in her office.

After Davis initially stopped issuing marriage licenses, two gay couples and two straight couples sued her. A federal judge ordered her to issue the licenses, an appeals court upheld that decision and the Supreme Court on Monday declined to intervene in the case, seemingly leaving Davis with no legal ground to stand on.

But Davis has refused to issue the licenses, saying her deeply held Christian beliefs don't let her endorse gay marriages.

As an elected official, Davis can't be fired. Any impeachment of her would have to wait until the legislature's regular session next year or could come during a costly special session.

“I have received death threats from people who do not know me,” Davis said in the statement. “I harbor nothing against them. I was elected by the people to serve as the County Clerk. I intend to continue to serve the people of Rowan County, but I cannot violate my conscience.”

More...
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/09/01/will-clerk-issue-gay-marriage-licenses-after-court-ruling/?intcmp=hpbt2

Whatever your beliefs are, this is ridiculous. She is not fulfilling her job requirements, plain and simple. If you don't do as your office directs you to do, there should be no amount of "she's a government worker, she can't be fired".

Religion and governments should never mix.

• Like 1

She is an elected official. She can't get fired. Recalled, if the state allows it. But I agree, if she can't fulfill her duty to serve every citizen, then she needs to be gone.

• Like 1

She's been married 4 times, and I bet she probably had sex with those men before she was joined in matrimony. She's probably had sex with other men too, and didn't even marry them. She's probably even had sex in positions other than missionary.

She probably secretly hates herself as much as she hates the gays :laugh:
  • Like 1

If she refuses a court ruling then she needs to be tried and, if convicted, jailed.  The state legislator will hopefully, when they convene, begin impeachment proceeding.  She has her beliefs, fine, but they do not belong in the public sector. She trying to impose her religious indoctrination onto others as an elected government official, a violation of the separation of church and state.  IMO

I am thinking of the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka meme that says something like, "Please tell me how someone else's love life effects you personally "

Time and time again, I am reminded of one of my Golden Rules...

Anyone who uses the bible as a moral compass is a screwed up individual.

Edited by T3X4S
  • Like 1

I just love the fact that shes been married 3 other times, which goes against the Bible as well. Bit hypocritical and it doesn't phase her

Time and time again, so-called religious people invoke the Bible (literally) when it supports their agenda, and ignore it (or state that so-and-so shouldn't be taken literally) when it doesn't.

Time and time again, so-called religious people invoke the Bible (literally) when it supports their agenda, and ignore it (or state that so-and-so shouldn't be taken literally) when it doesn't.

Exactly !  Like throwing out the entire Old Testament ("oh thats all just allegory, not to be taken seriously") because they cant comment on all the bad stuff done by god.  (but I guess that is really for another thread)

So just throw her ass in jail for contempt of court. Let's see how strong her beliefs are then, shall we?

That's probably what she wants, so she can stand up on her stack of bibles and shout "Look at how they are oppressing me! I'm being jailed for my religious beliefs!". I think a better idea would be to start fining her, a very large fine, every day that she refuses to do her job.

• Like 2

That's probably what she wants, so she can stand up on her stack of bibles and shout "Look at how they are oppressing me! I'm being jailed for my religious beliefs!". I think a better idea would be to start fining her, a very large fine, every day that she refuses to do her job.

Difficult to shout of oppression when you're locked in a cell within only inmates to hear you.

Religion does not, and should never be allowed to, come before the law.

• Like 3

Difficult to shout of oppression when you're locked in a cell within only inmates to hear you.

Plenty of others will shout for her: the right wing punditry is already lined up to speak about Christian persecution, denial of religious freedoms, the usual victimization card stuff. There is another clerk in Kentucky who has vowed to fight to the death the supreme court ruling.

Regardless of whatever happens to her on a justice level, I am going to suppose she will be held in contempt of a federal court and the supreme court, she is going to continue to milk her 15 minutes of fame with a gofundme page, a book, a book tour then some fox news consultant appearance, may be a photo with Donald Trump, Ted Cruz or whoever republican candidate is desperate enough for some public exposure.

I have a better idea: do not fine or jail her. Take her on a tour of all around the country and present her as what she truly is: a bigot who wants to impose her religious views on others and an anarchist who refuses to recognize the decisions taken in the frame of the U.S. constitution and laws

Religion does not, and should never be allowed to, come before the law.

Then, I am going to discourage you to go to http://www.rightwingwatch.org/ to see what some people in the US are saying about separation of church and state.

I just love the fact that shes been married 3 other times, which goes against the Bible as well. Bit hypocritical and it doesn't phase her

That's because, like most "religious" people, she will blame the fantasy figure "The Devil" for the bad things, and conventionally pick out the good things that the other fantasy figire "god" has done.

I hope she ends up in jail.

However, why did these 2 guys go here when they knew it was going to cause problems ?  If they simply wanted to get married, why go to the County that has a known problem with giving same sex licenses ?  They can get a license anywhere.