Dell 3007WFP

Well as I mentioned in my previous post, its of massive concern to me. I mean as if I want a monitor that I have to uprade my system to the max, just to use properly. I mean whats next, having to upgrade just to use new mice and keyboard?

I mean I was all primed up for 30" of pixel goodness, but realistically 24" would be perfect, I just wish they would re-produce the 24" with a DHCP connection and id be buying one in no time.

so most people would have to get a new video card if they want to use this 30" monitor at its native resolution..

which after spending (est. of 2500+) they'll have to spend another 500-600 for a video card that supports it..

and i'm pretty sure people who afford these monitors would be mostly gamers so they wouldnt go for a X1600 and would go for something like the X1800XT.. (or the 7800GTX, but they use single DVI link)

lol

Yeah they do. Video cards have DVI-I ports, which have both analog and digital signals on them. DVI monitors dont use the analog pins and only use the digital signal. The DVI to VGA adapters only use the analog pins on the DVI end and connect them to a VGA connector.

I think you are confused.

DVI-I - 1 cable 1 connection

DVI-D - 1 cable 2 connections

Only some graphics cards have DVI-D (the D is for Dual) this monitor will not work over a DVI-I connection only a DVI-D connection.

It's so big that it requires 2 channels to deliver that high resolution.

The 2005FPW and 2405FPW work over DVI-I and DVI-D (without utilising the D part as DVI-D is backwards compatible with DVI-I cables and devices)

In this picture you can see the different DVI standards http://www.cable4pc.com/jpg/all.jpg

any idiot that will believe that no card out can support this monitor, should go for a walk. here, I will list a few:

X1800 series, has 2 DVI Dual link ports, so 2 of these monitors at once

X1600 series, has 2 DVI Dual link ports

X1300 series, has 1 DVI Dual link port

7800 series, has 1 DVI Dual link port AFAIK

6800 GT, GS, Ultra, UE, has 1 DVI Dual link port

X800 XT, X850XT have 1 DVI Dual link port

thats all I know for now.

any idiot that will believe that no card out can support this monitor, should go for a walk. here, I will list a few:

duno about the cards themselves but your right, apples 30inch display has been available for a while now and PC users have been making use of it. Just need the right graphics card. As far as I know there are a few manufacturers that have implemented support for dual DVI for a while now, although I couldnt say who and on what chipset they had it running.

Asus sold a 6800 (Vanilla) with 128MB RAM and a Dual DVI port. Other manufacturers did not do this.

It's not a default spec for any of these range of cards its basically up to the Board manufacturer to if they want to put Dual DVI on the cards or not so don't just buy anything expecting it to support Dual DVI because 1 manufacturer selling the same model had it.

If you want this monitor you really have to do some research on a card before purchase.

X1800 series, has 2 DVI Dual link ports, so 2 of these monitors at once

X1600 series, has 2 DVI Dual link ports

X1300 series, has 1 DVI Dual link port

7800 series, has 1 DVI Dual link port AFAIK

6800 GT, GS, Ultra, UE, has 1 DVI Dual link port

X800 XT, X850XT have 1 DVI Dual link port

thats all I know for now.

You should really do some research before posting such false information. I checked out the websites of all of the manufacturers' of GeForce 7800 and GeForce 6800 series cards. I found out that NO ONE has made a GeForce product with a dual-link DVI port. ALL of the GeForce 7800 series cards are equipped with dual DVI-I connectors. ASUS also does not list a GeForce 6800 vanilla card with a DVI-D connector, only with a single DVI-I connector. So, as I said originally, there has never been a GeForce card with a DVI-D connector. NVIDIA did make a special GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL for Apple that came with dual DVI-D connectors, but that card cannot be used in a PC system.

As for ATI, I also checked them out. ATI does say on its website that Radeon X850 and Radeon X800 products can support a single DVI-D port, but after checking all of the websites of the add-in board partners (along with Built By ATI cards), I once again found out that there has never been a Radeon X850 or Radeon X800 card equipped with a dual-link DVI port.

So, what you are left with is the Radeon X1800 series that all have two DVI-D connectors, the Radeon X1600 series that all have at least one DVI-D connector (although it is possible to have two of them), and potentially the Radeon X1300 series, which although they can have a DVI-D connector, I am not aware of any manufacturer doing this yet. The NVIDIA Quadro FX 4500 has two DVI-D connectors, and most of the rest of the Quadro FX lineup has at least one DVI-D connector.

Well as I mentioned in my previous post, its of massive concern to me. I mean as if I want a monitor that I have to uprade my system to the max, just to use properly. I mean whats next, having to upgrade just to use new mice and keyboard?

I mean I was all primed up for 30" of pixel goodness, but realistically 24" would be perfect, I just wish they would re-produce the 24" with a DHCP connection and id be buying one in no time.

What does DHCP have to do with a monitor? It's HDCP :p

well, even though I dont see a practical use for a 30" screen, I am concerned about the video card issue, I mena, not even the 7800gtx 512mb will be able to handle such a resolution lightly! what si the world coming to?

ASUS also does not list a GeForce 6800 vanilla card with a DVI-D connector, only with a single DVI-I connector. So, as I said originally, there has never been a GeForce card with a DVI-D connector.

I should have been more clear. Asus made for a short period a 6800 Vanilla 128MB AGP with DVI-D it was not a "special feature" it was just a manufacturing error/bonus only some of the 6800 Vanilla's had this I know this because some user found a card in hong kong with the connector purchased one and then hooked it up-to a 30-inch apple cinema display (he showed pictures playing NFS etc and other users then confirmed his reports when finding the cards in retail outlets)

The cards were never official and can no longer be bought retail ebay only.

And so there has been DVI-D Geforce cards, on the other hand who in the right mind would go ebaying for a vanilla 6800 haha :laugh:

Do you think they will reproduce the 24" with DHCP support? Cos im looking at buying a new monitor, and whilst 30" would be good, fact is im not going to spend $1000 on video cards and upgrades, just to use a monitor, so im thinking the 24" would be perfect, but this whole DHCP thing is throwing me.

You meant HDCP, right? 'Cuz I don't think monitors are able to handle Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol nowadays :rofl:

I should have been more clear. Asus made for a short period a 6800 Vanilla 128MB AGP with DVI-D it was not a "special feature" it was just a manufacturing error/bonus only some of the 6800 Vanilla's had this I know this because some user found a card in hong kong with the connector purchased one and then hooked it up-to a 30-inch apple cinema display (he showed pictures playing NFS etc and other users then confirmed his reports when finding the cards in retail outlets)

The cards were never official and can no longer be bought retail ebay only.

And so there has been DVI-D Geforce cards, on the other hand who in the right mind would go ebaying for a vanilla 6800 haha :laugh:

HaHaHa, for sure. Well, sorry I doubted you; you seem to know what you're talking about. I thought about one good thing sure to come out of this: with all the people who are bound to complain that their new $500+ GeForce 7800 GTX cards can't power a new state-of-the-art Dell monitor, I'm almost positive that NVIDIA will rectify this "mistake" by equipping their upcoming GeForce 7900 series cards with dual DVI-D connectors.

HaHaHa, for sure. Well, sorry I doubted you; you seem to know what you're talking about. I thought about one good thing sure to come out of this: with all the people who are bound to complain that their new $500+ GeForce 7800 GTX cards can't power a new state-of-the-art Dell monitor, I'm almost positive that NVIDIA will rectify this "mistake" by equipping their upcoming GeForce 7900 series cards with dual DVI-D connectors.

yer haha, I'm not looking forward to upgrading I'm still on AGP with a X850XT PE so I have to do quite an overhaul to my system to get DVI-D. I guess I could buy one of these and run it off my Powerbook since that has a DVI-D connector but sort of a waste really.

You meant HDCP, right? 'Cuz I don't think monitors are able to handle Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol nowadays :rofl:

well I got all the letters right, just in the wrong order :) but yes HDCP is what I meant :)

I hope these 30" won't have the pink hue

Yeah that nefarious pinkish hue that crops up on some LCDs, mainly ive only seen it in LCDTVs being used as monitors, but it wasnt a problem with the dell 24"er's was it?