Dell 3007WFP

I really hope they announce the 2007 and 2407 when the 3007 is released. I have been through two 2005fpw's and 4 204t's trying to find a good monitor. They always seem to have a dead pixel or a backlight so bad its scary. Everytime I get one with a dead or stuck pixel the backlight is perfect. Everytime I get one with a horrible backlight it has perfect pixels. I am tempted to go look at the 21" gateway, but I like how the 3007 looks so much that if the 2007 looks the same I would rather have it.

all of you can forget about playing games on that display

I guess you REALLY mean playing games at the native resolution of 2560x1600. Many older games will play just fine at that resolution, but the newer ones can be run at a lower resolution, which will be autoscaled by the display.

I guess you REALLY mean playing games at the native resolution of 2560x1600. Many older games will play just fine at that resolution, but the newer ones can be run at a lower resolution, which will be autoscaled by the display.

Don't forget that if you don't like the negative impact scaling has on LCD screens you could have a decent sized ~20" centered 1600x1200 display when gaming, with black borders all around. Pretty good for gaming and then you have the benfit of 30" for desktop use.

I think scaling 'problems' are a bit overstated on new panels. As long as you keep aspect ratio if you scale it isn't really a problem. So you could do like 1680x1050 and it'd look fine for gaming.

I read this monitor only has DVI inputs....kind of a letdown to people who wanted more or to use it as a TV and such, or for Xbox. A step back from the 2405 anyway.

That was over at overclockersforum.com and dell's very own forums.

DVI = digital. you can run HDTV to this.

thats not necessarily true....my 23 inch sony has DVI yet i cant hook up my comcast HDTV receiver too it....

the receiver senses its not an HDTV (lack of a tv tuner or somet ****) and the image goes black after a few seconds to prevent damage to the monitor....

It is unfortunate that they didn't provide some access for multimedia devices other than the dvi. Seems a waste of such a large monitor that clearly could take advantage of such. If this was done to keep the price down, then maybe I could undrestand, depending on what price is posted tomorrow. I wonder if there is any sort of adapter thingy that you could use to convert svid, rca, cable, etc into the dvi input without having to go through a computer?

Lets hope the usb hub isn't the same as the 2005's of which is atrocious. I wonder how regular dvd videos will look. I'm sure that HDDVDs will look great, but drives will be uber expensive and movies well the same there's no way I'm buying the same movie in HDDVD.

Too much monitor for me. Seriously, unless you work with graphics programs like 3dmax and CAD or do some extreme spreedsheeting, I think this is just a waste of money.

Too much monitor for me. Seriously, unless you work with graphics programs like 3dmax and CAD or do some extreme spreedsheeting, I think this is just a waste of money.

not even talking about the Crossfire/SLI setup needed to enjoy games in REAL full-screen :blink:

$2200! are they crazy? greedy bastards.

for $1500 I would think about it.

So you want it for the same price that you could get a 30" LCD TV? Who's the greedy ******?

I mean, still 2200 is a lot of money, the sepculation was about 1800$, but im sire coupons will come out very soon, and probably, youll get to 2000-1800$

sorry Dell...that price is not aggressive enough considering no one has even seen one of these live, let alone run it through its paces. Without the extra input options, I don't really think it is worth the premium price tag.

The 2405 is still the reigning champ. When it was on sale with coupons I got mine for $850...all in.

There's now an opportunity for any other vendor to step in and trump Dell here. :)

On the plus side, gamers will like the fact that it supports a native 1280x800 resolution mode. :)

sorry Dell...that price is not aggressive enough considering no one has even seen one of these live, let alone run it through its paces. Without the extra input options, I don't really think it is worth the premium price tag.

The 2405 is still the reigning champ. When it was on sale with coupons I got mine for $850...all in.

There's now an opportunity for any other vendor to step in and trump Dell here. :)

On the plus side, gamers will like the fact that it supports a native 1280x800 resolution mode. :)

What are you talking about?

So because no one has reviewed this unit yet they should just give it away?

How can the 2405 be the reigning champ when no one has even reviewed the 3007 yet? It was just released yesterday FCOL!!

An opportunity for another vendor to spend in? Are you high? Apple has had their 30" display for years now. Where have the other vendors been? Why, now that Dell has released a 30" display, can other vendors suddenly step in? Do you think they can just make these things out of thin air?

You're just bitter because others have been able to get the 2405fpw cheaper than you and you wish you had one of these displays.

Why are you taking this so personal? Do you work for Dell or did you just forget your meds today? ;)

Answering your questions, in a much clearer way, so you'll understand my points:

The price performance of the 2405 beats the price performance of the 3007...period. That is what I meant by "reigning champ". I stand by that. If Dell wanted to agressively challenge the Apple 30", they should have released a more compelling product, or the product they have released at a more compelling price.

Where did I say "give it away?" Are you high?

And yes, you'll continue to see more 30" LCDs from more vendors, in quantity, etc. It is the way things are. You should know that without me pointing it out...now twice.

"Bitter comment" - What the heck are you babbling on about? Getting my 2405 for $780 (before tax & shipping) was a GREAT deal, and I have one, and love it. I was hoping, as many were, that Dell would price the 3007 agressively, proportional to the 24" which is currently at $1200 BEFORE coupons.

But not comparing them, it makes MUCH more sense to buy a second 2405 than it does to add a 3007 to my machine. I was hoping Dell would make the 3007 the same kind of "best value, gotta have it" buy the 2405 was - and still is.

So, next time, read what I am actually saying more closely. To think that my comment about the 2405 price was me being bitter somehow (when actually I was pointing out how pleased I was), shows you were just "right out". :)

you cant compare the cost and size of the 2405 with this monitor. Not only is the 2405 now old, with any hardware at the top end you pay ALOT more for a relatively small performance increase over the next tier. Take cpu's, buying one thats only like 400Mhz slower might in the end be 30% less expensive than the only slightly faster one. It's no use comparing the 24 inch screen to this and saying you can get two for the same price, it's completly different and a dual monitor setup will not function the same as a single 30 inch anyway due to the different area covered.

As for competitive pricing. In this market Dell SHOULDNT be pushing a low price. Theres no competition apart from apple (whos product is substantually more expensive btw) so Dell has no obligation to set a lower price. I doubt alot of people have seen 24" displays either.

I dont see the 30 inch being marketed at the same people that want a 24, and theres many people that would rather a single, more expensive display than 2 monitors where u have a seam between the displays. Each setup has its ups and downs.

Ohh and also theres the fact this monitor is new. Technology is always substantually more expensive when 1st released and it isnt helped by the fact only dell and apple have monitors of this stature. In comming months manufacturing cost will drop and competitors will get on the bandwagon and you MAY see a price drop. I say May as I still firmly dont believe this monitor was necessarily made for the average home consumer anyway in which case the people who buy this will likely be able to afford it. Just look at how much a pc that can run this costs.

I think it's a fair price. It's more competitive than apples display and like the 2405 is the cheapest in it's class on the market. Sure it's expensive, but so is the machine required to even operate this and it certainly isnt a monitor made for a casual user. People expected to much in terms of pricing here, especially at launch.

Apple's product is only 10% more expensive, so I would hardly call that substantial, since most Apple branded products are 25-30% premium priced over PC ones.

Oh, and while the Dell monitor may be new tech to them, Apple has had this for almost two years now I believe, so it isn't actually new tech to the marketplace. And that's all that matters, since no one cares about paying a premium price for a product that is #2 to market, ahem.

So, I think Dell should have come in at $1999 if they really wanted shake things up. I mean, if anyone wanted to pay $2,500 for this, they would have just bought the Apple 30".

IMHO, Dell should be trying to lure buyers who didn't want to spend nearly that much for a 30", not woo people who just didn't get around to buying one from Apple, hehe. That's just poor marketing/sales.

We ordered on of these panels on the 5th and received notification from Dell that it shipped on 1/7/05

We paid $2,000.00 plus taxes - free shipping

The video card we decided upon was the EVGA 7800GT PCIe 256MB

All being installed into a (2X) Intel Xeon 2.8GHz Dual Core Dell Precision 670 Workstation

Will be posting pics and a review upon receipt.

JLA

We ordered on of these panels on the 5th and received notification from Dell that it shipped on 1/7/05

We paid $2,000.00 plus taxes - free shipping

The video card we decided upon was the EVGA 7800GT PCIe 256MB

All being installed into a (2X) Intel Xeon 2.8GHz Dual Core Dell Precision 670 Workstation

Will be posting pics and a review upon receipt.

JLA

Look forward to it!