Dell 3007WFP

I would of probably have considered this display maybe a few months down the road but with no component input i think i'll just stay with the 24" untill they change it down with another revision or the next larger display hopefully comes with it.

I believe it is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

To be honest, there is a (based of using the Apple 30" Cinema display which is the same monitor as the Dell) HUGE DIFFERENCE from $300 19" monitor and the 30"

Sure if all you are doing is browsing the web and reading e-mail a 19" would be sufficient (I actually would not use less than a 21" at 1600X1200) - but even then with the 30" display it is a much more enjoyable experience.

When you step up to power usage of a machine for CAD, video production, graphics, and even extreme gaming, that is where the 30" will shine over any pair of 19" panels

well, spent the day with this 30" and my bfg 7800gtx card and nvidias 82.12 drivers...

though ive installed many 2405 and such sized monitors, this one is giving me problems, maybe its some dual-link problem here, ive even tried both ports in case just one certain one only supported dual-link, but both give me the same problem...

i can only do exactly 50% resolution for anything to come up on the screen, meaning 1280x800. anything above or below gives me a blank screen. nvidias 82.12 drivers are supposed to resolve things but im not getting anywhere and have tried a number of diagnostic programs and custom resolutions even; nothing works. so until i find someone else who has it going or nvidias comes up with another build, im here at 50%.

heres a clue to the problem -

in nvidias driver control panel, under DEVICE ADJUSTMENTS, the MONITOR SCALING option is greyed out for it, and

under SCREEN RESOLUTIONS & REFRESH RATES, the ADVANCED TIMING button is greyed out for all resolutions except 1280x800...

Edited by imemine

well, spent the day with this 30" and my bfg 7800gtx card and nvidias 82.12 drivers...

though ive installed many 2405 and such sized monitors, this one is giving me problems, maybe its some dual-link problem here, ive even tried both ports in case just one certain one only supported dual-link, but both give me the same problem...

i can only do exactly 50% resolution for anything to come up on the screen, meaning 1280x800. anything above or below gives me a blank screen. nvidias 82.12 drivers are supposed to resolve things but im not getting anywhere and have tried a number of diagnostic programs and custom resolutions even; nothing works. so until i find someone else who has it going or nvidias comes up with another build, im here at 50%.

heres a clue to the problem -

in nvidias driver control panel, under DEVICE ADJUSTMENTS, the MONITOR SCALING option is greyed out for it, and

under SCREEN RESOLUTIONS & REFRESH RATES, the ADVANCED TIMING button is greyed out for all resolutions except 1280x800...

Stupid question but have you installed the monitor drivers?

yes, got them off the cd. then ill build my own icc file with a spyderpro2 once i get this going...i was expecting a roadbump anyway since moving to duallink is a rather new experience in the pc world....but at 1280x800, after 25 years of computers, my eyes are having such an easier time, sitting 5 feet from the screen....

I may sound stupid, but isn't this just a bit TV?.. why is it a monitor?.. or can it be used as both?

To me, its not practical for a computer monitor.. of course its nice, but being so close to it wouldn't feel right to me. Unless of course you're suposed to sit far away from it like your in the living room, but what about your desk ?.. lol, someone point me in the right direction here.

All of the problems you describe are Dual-Link related. Either the card does not have that capability (doubtful) or the drivers don't initialize it properly (most likely).

If your card has two different DVI connectors, check to see if one is dual-link and one is not. Otherwise, let's hope it is just a driver issue.

of course i can sort you guys out :)

just sorting details out now, i have 2 options, buy them myself and the resell, or i am trying to make it possible that you can buy direct from dell

yes, got them off the cd. then ill build my own icc file with a spyderpro2 once i get this going...i was expecting a roadbump anyway since moving to duallink is a rather new experience in the pc world....but at 1280x800, after 25 years of computers, my eyes are having such an easier time, sitting 5 feet from the screen....

Apparently 82.12 does not support 3007 despite what was said in the release notes... :wacko: . Install 81.98 or 81.94 betas. link

of course i can sort you guys out :)

just sorting details out now, i have 2 options, buy them myself and the resell, or i am trying to make it possible that you can buy direct from dell

Sounds good. Still thankful for the couple of 2405s you hooked me up with back when, now that was an awesome deal.

Edited by stlic

Price: ?1,095.95 (?1,287.74 Including VAT at 17.5%)

on overclockers.co.uk:cool:l:

The price is getting better. I would think <a grand would be the sweet spot for me personally.

4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer

Really?!?! 4 years?

EDIT: ?1,174.94 inc. at aria.co.uk. Although can't see a mention of warranty.

Hey Mike you had any movement on the price at your end?

Looks like the aria price might have been a one off. It was down to ?1050 for one day which seems pretty special, no idea about guarantee though.

A friend of mine has placed an order with overclockers but on preorder so he's got time to cancel if need be.

New to the forum- hello everyone. Here's my little write-up...

As some of you may know the new Dell 30" runs at a resolution of 2560x1600 which exceedes the DVI bandwidth limit of 1920x1200. In order to display this resolution digitally (via DVI) you need a graphics card that supports DVI Dual-Link. Most of the early cards that supported Dual-Link were the very expensive Quatra and FireGL cards costing upwards in way of $700-900. After much research and some help from GL I was able to find an affordable card that didn't 1) Require a 500watt power supply to run and...2) Didn't break the bank.

I settled on the E-VGA Nvidia G-Force 6600GT which retails for $150 at NewEgg.com. It only requires a 350watt powersupply and has Dual-DVI support. After I swapped out the VAIO's ATi X300 for the new 6600GT I was able to view the Dell 30" for the first time in all of it's 2560x1600 native resolution glory. Here's my impression.....

When it first booted to my desktop I was in awe. The normal 2 rows of icons fit neatly into one row vertically and the amount of screen real-estate is astounding. After loading up my browser I was greeted by my google.com homepage that looked equally as bizzare. Tiny google logo swimming in a SEA of white. Webpages are so diminutive in size, most of the time the entire page fits on the top half of the monitor. I might have to utlize having multiple browser windows open sharing all the 4 million pixels of space. Having a single browswer window open is so much over kill. A normal VU post that spans 5-6 lines of texts fits neatly across the screen in a single line or two. For those who don't think the 30" is much bigger than the 24"....after doing the math you realize the 30" is actually 77% larger in screen area!

The image is bright and crisp though having it on at the same time side-by-side with my 24 I do notice that the 24 is considerably brighter. Granted I can turn the 30" brightness all the way up and be very close to the 24" brightness however the 24" it turned DOWN from hit's highest brightness about 1/3. The natural color temp seems a bit warm to me but it might be closer to print standard- I tend to calibrate my computer monitors to cooler (9000k) temp. Problem is on the 30 you can't adjust color- the ONLY buttons it has are to adjust the brightness up and down. All color temp tweaking has to be done through the video card which forces the video LUT to perform the changes which is notably less accurate than making the changes inside the monitor. I'm not too entirely worried about it beings I don't use a spectrometer on this monitor and I don't do color critical (print) work. All my "color critical" work is resolved via my production monitor for video.

Grey Scale ramping seems pretty smooth, as good as the 24" I suppose however I found in Displaymate the darkness really ramps off after 16% black. Where as the 24" seemed to ramp to pure black a bit later. This can be adjusted with the video card color settings and gamma but I wasn't able to achieve a perfect result in the few minutes I spent with it.

Overall I still feel the 24" is a better monitor offering more connections (rgb, composite, component), various PiP modes, and in monitor color adjustments. It's sort of the Swiss Arm Knife of computer monitors. The 30" doesn't do anything particularly stellar, the brightness is a bit lower, no connections other than the SINGLE dual-dvi port and usb for the 5in1 media reader built in, and no in monitor color tweaking other than brightness. The one thing it does offer is size, resolution , and clarity.

I considered trading it in for another 24" however after I loaded Vegas I was swayed to keep it. I'm able to have the Explorer, Trimmer, Video Preivew Window, Audio Levels, and Histogram all visible and fit neatly across the screen horizontally. Vertically I can list about a dozen video tracks at their default height! No more resizeing and/or scrolling vertically to see all my tracks. THIS is where the monitor shines. You can never have enough real-estate when working in your NLE. The Dell 30" surely doesn't skimp on this area.

I look forward to reviews conducted by professionals who can test the monitors ACTUAL brightness and color accuracy. Until then if your considering getting the 30":

1) Make sure you have a monitor that is capable of Dual-DVI connectivity,able to resolve a digital resolution of 2560x1600

2) Are ok with having less on camera color controls

3) Have the desktop space to accomadate this beast!

24%20v%2030_1.jpg

24%20v%2030_2.jpg