Apple Media Event, October 20th

Well you can forget about Blu-ray, probably even in the upcoming Mac OS X Lion release.

So what you're saying is because some users experience(d) issues with Snow Leopard there was no point in it? I'm willing to bet just as many people have issues with Windows 7 as well, so Microsoft just shouldn't have released that either? There are always people who have issues with something, that's just the way it is.

For me and many others Mac OS X Snow Leopard has been smooth sailing and brought out the pull potential of our Macs. So I for one am very happy with it and thought is was a welcome update after Leopard. That doesn't mean I don't have any interest for a Mac OS X release that brights forth major end-user features. I'm just in no rush.

The pull potential? Please just quantify your Snow Leopard gains. There are none, but go on anyway.

And it wasn't just 'some' users. ALL (notebook) users were affected by the battery issues. And performance reviews placed it behind or on par with Leopard in 3rd party apps as-well.

And I know you ignore most of my post and just key in on the Bluray thing. Don't forget the GPU Switching, SLI/Crossfire and TRIM support now. All of which Windows 7 has btw.

Do we actually know the image was supplied by Apple or is it something Engadget put together?

Answering my own Q here, but since TUAW have a poll of what the next name should be, pretty much confirms they created the image & guessed the next will be Lion.

Cougar is an option, but would have made more sense to follow Puma.

It probably will be Lion in the end seeing as it's the one big cat left. Unless they continue with Clouded Leopard or something :p Doesn't sound like a very good name though.

It's legit. Multiple sites are using it.

Multiple sites are using Engadget as their source, that's why :p

The pull potential? Please just quantify your Snow Leopard gains. There are none, but go on anyway.

And you just keep thinking Mac OS X Snow Leopard brought forth absolutely nothing but those rounded contextual menu corners.

And it wasn't just 'some' users. ALL (notebook) users were affected by the battery issues. And performance reviews placed it behind or on par with Leopard in 3rd party apps as-well.

I don't own a laptop so that isn't something that affected me nor is it something I looked into so I can't comment on that in depth. It could have been a bug in the initial version that has since been fixed? I've seen those performance reviews though, and most of them were published early on when most 3rd party software wasn't even updated yet. So not sure if that's much to go by.

And I know you ignore most of my post and just key in on the Bluray thing. Don't forget the GPU Switching, SLI/Crossfire and TRIM support now. All of which Windows 7 has btw.

I read it, I just don't have anything to say about it except that you can probably forget about Blu-ray support. I can imagine you would like to see certain stuff sooner rather than later, but none of the stuff you mentioned is relevant to me: My iMac doesn't have a SSD in it, I have no need for Blu-ray, I don't use Time Machine anymore (when I used it in the past it worked with no issues though) and my iMac has only one GPU.

In case you didn't understand: I was talking about myself before. My personal view about what I need at the moment. I'm not as arrogant to think I can speak for everybody. So what exactly would you like me to say in response to the rest of your post? That is beyond I'm hoping for you that Apple will add those things in Mac OS X Lion if not earlier. Anyway, I'm all ears.

Edit About the Windows 7 part (before you start accusing me of ignoring parts of your post again): Microsoft has to support more different hardware configurations, so it is my view that they will always be ahead of Apple in that department. That is unless Apple decides to change their strategy when it comes to Mac OS X.

I keep forgetting: Your personal experience is what goes for everyone. My bad and you're right: Mac OS X Snow Leopard brought forth absolutely nothing but those rounded menu corners.

Still you've not actually said what benefits you gained through the upgrade to Snow Leopard. You said it unlocked your macs Pull Potential. What does that mean to you?

I mean seriously what new or changed feature had an impact on your use of your Mac? Everyone I know who upgraded cant say a single thing.

Still you've not actually said what benefits you gained through the upgrade to Snow Leopard. You said it unlocked your macs Pull Potential. What does that mean to you?

I mean seriously what new or changed feature had an impact on your use of your Mac? Everyone I know who upgraded cant say a single thing.

I think that's beating the dead horse at this point. It was $29, which gave you better multi-core support and feature improvements pretty much everywhere. It wasn't even priced like a regular OSX release exactly because there were no major UI changes.

We'll still probably be getting 10.6.5 long before 10.7.

Next Wednesday will just be a preview. Some developers might start to get early preview versions in late 2010/2011. There probably won't even be a full developer beta until WWDC (in June usually).

I doubt this will actually ship until at least next Fall.

Are you genuinely asking that or are you after a never ending debate? To be perfectly honest I feel extremely little need to discuss the above with someone who feels that Mac OS X Snow Leopard's only gain are the rounded contextual menu corners. For me that basically says enough and it also gives me plenty perspective to see what this conversation will turn out like.

Considering Apple charged us €29 for the update (I got it for €9), that does tend to put things in perspective.

Rhetoric like that means absolutely nothing to me, nor does it proof anything. I know some people think that it does, but really it doesn't.

I can say I heard the exact opposite, but what good will come from that?

Are you genuinely asking that or are you after a never ending debate? To be perfectly honest I feel extremely little need to discuss the above with someone who feels that Mac OS X Snow Leopard's only gain are the rounded contextual menu corners. For me that basically says enough and it also gives me plenty perspective to see what this conversation will turn out like.

Rhetoric like that means absolutely nothing to me, nor does it proof anything. I know some people think that it does, but really it doesn't.

I can say I heard the exact opposite, but what good will come from that?

If you cant even quantify your changes then I don't think you should say that Snow Leopard changed your experience. If it had you would have said by now to put me in my place.

The fact is that in my eyes OS X hasn't been upgraded since Leopard shipped and I personally ignore Snow Leopard in the release schedule which is why I feel Apple has ignored the desktop version of OS X for a long time.

One thing that's puzzling me is the poster;

mainimage.jpg

Is it supposed to be that the big cut out apple is spinning(or pushing) through and behind part of the Lion image. Or is the Lion image supposed to be further back and the Apple logo is spinning between the cut out foreground image and the Lion image behind it.?

If you cant even quantify your changes then I don't think you should say that Snow Leopard changed your experience. If it had you would have said by now to put me in my place.

I already expressed my experiences with Snow Leopard on this forum multiple times, and those still stand. I stated my reasons why I don't have the need to go into that with you at this time, because I feel you're not genuinely interested and just after a pointless debate. And not to burst your bubble here, but I don't come here just to put you in your place. If you require that maybe you can find someone else to do that? ;)

The fact is that in my eyes OS X hasn't been upgraded since Leopard shipped and I personally ignore Snow Leopard in the release schedule which is why I feel Apple has ignored the desktop version of OS X for a long time.

You're more than entitled to your opinion and I expressed mine regarding the subject.

Anyway, are we done now?

Or is the Lion image supposed to be further back and the Apple logo is spinning between the cut out foreground image and the Lion image behind it.?

Your post made me laugh. :laugh: I think it's the latter part quoted above. How funny would it be though if a journalist asks that in the Q&A at the end of the keynote. :rofl:

Multiple sites are using Engadget as their source, that's why :p

Um, no, I meant multiple sources received the same information, including the same image, from Apple. That's how Apple works -- they send an e-mail with information about the event and an image. Think of the recent music event that had the "Apple guitar" that tons of sites published.

Upgrade 13" MacBook Pro to an i3/i5 processor, offer a non-glossy higher-resolution screen, cut 30-35% off the price and release uncrippled Windows bootcamp drivers. The perfect laptop!

Um, no, I meant multiple sources received the same information, including the same image, from Apple. That's how Apple works -- they send an e-mail with information about the event and an image. Think of the recent music event that had the "Apple guitar" that tons of sites published.

So far Engadget has been pretty reliable source when it comes to Apple invites.

I already expressed my experiences with Snow Leopard on this forum multiple times, and those still stand. I stated my reasons why I don't feel the need to go into that with you. And not to burst your bubble there, but I don't come here just to put you in your place. If you require that maybe you can find someone else to do that? ;)

You're more than entitled to your opinion and I expressed mine regarding the subject. For some reason I get the feeling you want me to try to persuade you otherwise, as to why I'm not sure.

Anyway, are we done now?

I think we were done a few posts ago when you couldn't say what had improved in Snow Leopard for you. This is a discussion board the way things work is you say one thing, I say another thing then you reply. But you seem to say things then when someone asks a question you don't wanna talk anymore. Maybe forums aren't for you I dunno.

If someone says that Snow Leopard improved there Mac and made there workflow better or improved there experience or made there apps better then I'd love to know in what way, I really would. Everyone I know says it didn't change there usage at all and you yourself seem unable to quantify your own experience.

Every WWDC since the iPhone launched has been all about the iOS powered devices (Previously WWDC was all about Mac OS X). This is the first conference in about 3 years that they are truly focusing on Desktop OS X. Even when Snow Leopard was first announced it was but a mere footnote 'We will be discussing Snow Leopard after the show later' that was at WWDC 2008 I think. Apple didn't even care about it enough to devote some stage presence to the announcement, just a single slide. A year later when it was close to release they did a few feature rundowns but even that was cluttered with iOS related announcements.

Snow Leopard to me is like a service pack and so to me it has been like 3 years since the last major OS X update. And it'll probably be another year before 10.7 is released. I doubt things would be like this had iOS not taken over Apples business.

So far Engadget has been pretty reliable source when it comes to Apple invites.

Yup, I wasn't arguing that, just the fact that Engadget's story is legit and they didn't create the image themselves.

I think we were done a few posts ago when you couldn't say what had improved in Snow Leopard for you. This is a discussion board the way things work is you say one thing, I say another thing then you reply. But you seem to say things then when someone asks a question you don't wanna talk anymore. Maybe forums aren't for you I dunno.

Like I said, I'm just not going to waste a pointless debate with someone who feels that Snow Leopard's only benefit are the rounded contextual menus. To me there's absolutely no point in that and it doesn't seem fruitful.

If someone says that Snow Leopard improved there Mac and made there workflow better or improved there experience or made there apps better then I'd love to know in what way, I really would. Everyone I know says it didn't change there usage at all and you yourself seem unable to quantify your own experience.

When I used my 2009 Mac Pro with Leopard I really felt that the OS was holding it back. Everyday tasks such as opening fairly light applications such as Safari, iChat and even System Preferences had this annoying delay. Also heavier applications such as Final Cut Pro would take a while to launch, export etc. I really feel stuff like this has improved with Snow Leopard. At college we have a whole bunch of those same Mac Pros running in our editing labs. Up until recently only two of them were set up with Snow Leopard. Compared to the ones running Leopard launching times of applications have improved, exporting projects have improved and overall OS performance in general. So for me that's something very concrete I've seen between the exact same configurations running Leopard and Snow Leopard. I understand your milage may vary, especially if you suddenly suffer from an annoying bug (for me Tiger was an absolutely disastrous release because of bugs).

After reading this post of yours I'm gathering you're thinking that Snow Leopard improved the way I interact with my Mac, while I was getting at overall OS performance (better multi-core support, 64-bit etc.). Sure I like how Apple tweaked Exposé, but did it change the way I interact with my Mac compared to Leopard? No, of course not.

Anyway, there you have it. I'm off to bed!

Yup, I wasn't arguing that, just the fact that Engadget's story is legit and they didn't create the image themselves.

From their story I gather the image is in fact the invite Apple sent out. Can't tell for sure though.

No, I'm just not going to waste a pointless debate with someone who feels that Snow Leopard's only benefit are the rounded contextual menus. To me there's absolutely no point in that. If you can't accept that, so be it.

Lol sure.

I don't know why I bother quoting anything you say on here because as soon as someone questions you about something you've said it just devolves in to 'oh I'm not arguing with you about this!, I'm to good to debate with you'.

Look dude if you are going to say something be ready to back it up or just don't say it in the first place.

I'd be damned if they roll out i3 13" MBP as mine is only 1 month old. But a new OS release is always interesting.

i got mine 10 days ago sad.gif if it does get updated ima sell mine and get the newer one haha laugh.gif