Lulzsec: "It's The Beginning Of The End For Sony"

So taking justice into their own hands instead of doing things legally is okay now? No matter how you feel about how Sony handled things what these people did and are planning to do is still illegal. There can be no excuse for supporting them.

Sony should have gotten shut down as a company after the rootkits they'd put on the audio CD's, and I didn't see many people bitch about that. Sony as a company rightfully has what it is getting now, its years of crap that they did coming back to haunt them.

Unfortunately, the negative is quite obvious: Its the consumer that will ALWAYS pay in the end for both sides.

The thing is Subject Delta, it doesn't really matter how much anyone thinks anyone else is an apologist for anyone/anything, bringing child molestation into this topic has not done you any favours. You simply don't try to make a point with such a ridiculous base for your argument and while this will make you happy for the wrong reason, I simply won't be talking to you any more after putting my name in your twisted comparison.

Translation: I know you are right and I know I can't refute you so I am going to pick up on the tone of your argument so that it appears that I am escaping with the moral high ground.

Priceless.

Why would we want this to stop? For all I care Sony can go out of business. I hope they start doing it MORE.

Good thing it's not up to you then. People like this guy are very short sighted.

Why would we want this to stop? For all I care Sony can go out of business. I hope they start doing it MORE.

After Sony goes out of business, you will see Apple craps dominate the market, MS can charge whatever the hell they want for their Xbox Live subscription and a lot of good Japanese game developers will go out of business, sounds like a win situation to me /s.

After Sony goes out of business, you will see Apple craps dominate the market, MS can charge whatever the hell they want for their Xbox Live subscription and a lot of good Japanese game developers will go out of business, sounds like a win situation to me /s.

Yes, because Dell, Hp, Asus Lenovo, and Acer don't exist to compete against Apple. I can't even think of the last time I've seen a Sony laptop in the real world and I've never seen a Sony desktop. Nintendo also competes with XBox, and if a development company is only developing for Sony then thats poor planning by them.

I feel no sympathy for Sony, they have brought this upon themselves. Even Apple, which is pretty much the most litigious tech company in the business had the common sense not to aggressively pursue the iPhone's jailbreakers, however I feel sorry for the gamers who are being harmed by this

No company in the world deserves that, may it be called Apple, Sony, Google, or my long time rival, Microsoft.

This is becoming kid play, there?s nothing responsible in hacking just about everything.

Given Audioboxer's history, if Sony's CEO molested a child, I think he'd find a way to twist it. I doubt he's likely to offer anything reasonable on this subject. Sony are right, everyone else is wrong and if you don't like it you can f*** off in his eyes

(Y) a little extreme example. but more or less true.

This kind of idiocy coming from your mouth only helps me and anyone else in this topic create an image of how immature you must be to say such a statement. Why would any "normal" person be thinking of child molestation? Not in any way does this sentence make me look bad, essentially what you're clearly trying to do, it only makes you sound very silly.

it's true and sorry bro, you really can't comment on people making comparisons like that, with your history of personal attacks. he's right though, you only nit pick the rebuttals of the arguments. i don't know how you can justify sony asking for IPs of everyone who visits the site, which i don't know how anyone has the right to do, and attack anyone they think did anything against them. they even attack their legit customers and treat them as criminals. I have seen you make the same arguments about the law not being right. when you talked earlier about people not doing their research and believe the sensationalist headlines you did the exact same thing when you yourself posted the article about him peacing it to south america on the donators dime.

Hope anyone who donated enjoys their money being ****ed into the wind!

Hardly some sort of song and dance about escaping the country and using up donations. That you have to thank the internet journalists for. I think people have done far too much headline reading, then taken those headlines to bed at night and dreamt up all these awful unfair weep worthy scenarios dear George must of gone through, and woke up ready to give the finger to the man in the morning.

looks like you did that too. you post a crap load of articles around here and the community thanks you for it, but why is it that not a single one of them is a negative story towards sony?

Good thing it's not up to you then. People like this guy are very short sighted.

i usually agree with you trag3dy, but i can't on this one. he's right, sony deserves everything they are getting for their history of mistreating their consumers and treating everyone as a pirate. what's ****ty about the situation is that the consumers are the ones that pay, no matter if it's sony screwing over it's customers, or hackers going on their holy crusade.

I agree that in the end the consumers are the ones that get screwed. But to say that a company that employes hundreds of thousands of people around the world either directly or indirectly should just up and disappear is short sighted at the very least.

I agree that in the end the consumers are the ones that get screwed. But to say that a company that employes hundreds of thousands of people around the world either directly or indirectly should just up and disappear is short sighted at the very least.

no for sure. it's not like i want sony to die all together issue. i just think that this is karma kicked right back at'em. if anything, this whole situation will create more jobs when this hiring more IT staff to handle their security :rofl:

"The end of Sony"? Hardly. While this was a huge PR disaster, checks will be written, apologies will be made, and Sony executives will wake up with a job. I think people seem to forget there's more to Sony than their Playstation/games division. Sony is a huge corporation; with offices across the globe, that manufactures a ton of products you and I use everyday. To think that a mishap like this will take them down is like shooting an elephant with a BB gun. Sony, I think, should consider hiring an outside security firm to completely upgrade (rebuild?) their network and put new security measures in place to prevent this from happening. The 170+ million they've already spent is a lot to you and me, but it's probably chump change to them. In fact, I see it as nothing more than bait for trolls and critics.

The thing is Subject Delta, it doesn't really matter how much anyone thinks anyone else is an apologist for anyone/anything, bringing child molestation into this topic has not done you any favours. You simply don't try to make a point with such a ridiculous base for your argument and while this will make you happy for the wrong reason, I simply won't be talking to you any more after putting my name in your twisted comparison.

The guy was just using it as an extreme example. If you get offended by it, there must be something wrong with you as well. Think about it, why did you need to argue about it in the first place ? It was directed toward Sony, not you.

P.S. How much did Sony pay you, BTW ?

Let's be honest - sony went about this COMPLETELY the wrong way. This day in age you just can't go inciting the wrath of the hacker community unless you are damn sure your network is up to the task.

You're right. Court is not how civilized people settle legal matters. Sony should have just sent somebody over to his house to duel him or rough him up a bit. That's the best solution.

Again really all I can say is :laugh: at these scrubs thinking they'll have any long term negative impact on Sony, let alone being a cause for the "end" of Sony. They cost Sony some money, sure, but Sony will roll on as they always have and will. Sony is huge.

Going a little more in-depth, do you believe people/groups on the internet shouldn't be challenged regardless of legality/morality/damage they're doing because of "common sense" ? I think we'll end up living in a scary world if everyone just backs off hackers/crackers because it's "common sense".

If this is the way these types of people/groups react to any sort of confrontation against their beliefs then how can we afford to give them so much power and respect?

I agree with the folks saying sony deserves this.

The main reason not being them suing geohot (couldn't care less about that), but them trying to go after people who donated to him and who visited his website!

They thought they could buy the legal system, and were taught a lesson.

Aw, come on man. Seriously, why can't they just let me play my games? I might agree with their cause, but f****** me over when I've done nothing is not exactly the way to win votes.

Definitely not condoning cyber-vandalism.

Although it wouldnt KILL sony to actually protect their customers data. And they sued geohot, not every single homebrewer. They didnt go all RIAA on their asses.

If they have genuine reasons for complaint or grievances against Sony then there are plenty of perfectly legitimate ways they can take action. They could file a class action lawsuit, arrange mass-protests outside Sony HQ, write to local politicians, take their cause to consumer groups, get letters printed in newspapers/magazines, etc, etc... So why don't they? Because those perpetrating the hacking against Sony aren't doing it for any reason other than to do what they do best - cause trouble, steal data, make money.

That anyone has sympathy for these hackers astonishes me and worries me greatly. How would those who support this like it if someone who didn't like them (disgruntled work colleague, ex-girlfriend/boyfriend) stole their car? That's ok, right? They have a problem with you, so they are excused from the law.

Hacking is illegal and I hope every single one of them gets caught and jailed for so long they can't even comprehend what a computer is anymore.

Should provide for a good stress test on their new network security. Now we can see if whatever Sony did really is up to par or not. Let's hope they do some quality hacks with some real horse power behind it.

From what I gathered, people are upset one person is sued for doing something that is very intentional. Hmmph. Sued by a company who is protecting their property, as opposed to suing as it encroached on morality issue. Seems pretty pathetic to be worked up personally.

Hackers are same as criminals unless they have legitimate reasons to be a hacker. If you steal person information, I don't care you steal it from an office or through cyber means, you are in jail. I don't care if you hack the most corrupt and hated company in the world, we don't need people who think they are above the law or can do anything because of their ideology. As for Geohot, he played with fire and he got burnt by legal documents. Maybe so did Sony. But it is pretty crystal clear, Sony is being attacked because it defended itself. No 2 ways about it.

The guy was just using it as an extreme example. If you get offended by it, there must be something wrong with you as well. Think about it, why did you need to argue about it in the first place ? It was directed toward Sony, not you.

P.S. How much did Sony pay you, BTW ?

I don't appreciate being mocked with molestation as an "extreme example". "You're" the guys getting upset enough to have to use extreme examples against me because you don't agree with what I'm saying, I argue my case because I think it's ridiculous people have to stoop to such levels when I haven't done anything like that to them.

I agree with the folks saying sony deserves this.

The main reason not being them suing geohot (couldn't care less about that), but them trying to go after people who donated to him and who visited his website!

They thought they could buy the legal system, and were taught a lesson.

So where is this evidence of Sony trying to go after anyone related to the IP addresses? We've been told by the court and Sony it was to see where they could trial Geohot, so where along the lines has that turned into these people being chased after? I haven't heard of anyone visiting a website being contacted by Sony.

Sony told Spero, a San Francisco magistrate, that it needed the information for at least two reasons.

One is to prove the ?defendant?s distribution? of the hack. The other involves a jurisdictional argument over whether Sony must sue Hotz in his home state of New Jersey rather than in San Francisco, which Sony would prefer. Sony said the server logs would demonstrate that many of those who downloaded Hotz?s hack reside in Northern California ? thus making San Francisco a proper venue for the case.

Source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2011/03/geohot-site-unmasking/

Hey @Sony, you know we're making off with a bunch of your internal stuff right now and you haven't even noticed? Slow and steady, guys.

Source: http://twitter.com/#!/LulzSec/status/75489095371079680

The group have been posting and commenting with this guy - http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2010/12/12/second-dutch-arrest-wikileaks-ddos-attacks/ Good chance other members are Dutch, Neobond? :laugh: :shiftyninja:

All that I hope it that this debacle will give a lesson that will be profitable for every other company out there. Sony?s concerned in a direct way, but in reality everyone else is concerned too.

From what I gathered, people are upset one person is sued for doing something that is very intentional. Hmmph. Sued by a company who is protecting their property, as opposed to suing as it encroached on morality issue. Seems pretty pathetic to be worked up personally.

Hackers are same as criminals unless they have legitimate reasons to be a hacker. If you steal person information, I don't care you steal it from an office or through cyber means, you are in jail. I don't care if you hack the most corrupt and hated company in the world, we don't need people who think they are above the law or can do anything because of their ideology. As for Geohot, he played with fire and he got burnt by legal documents. Maybe so did Sony. But it is pretty crystal clear, Sony is being attacked because it defended itself. No 2 ways about it.

Is there actually any relation to the Geohot case and the recent PSN outage, it seemed completely unrelated to me. Geohotz jail-broke the PS3, same way people jail-break phones. There wasn't much for Sony to defend after the key was out in the internet. In the end, Sony accomplished nothing by acquiring IPs from people who simply visited his website or even Geohot himself by taking him to court, since the key was already out. The only visible purpose of Sony's litigation seemed to have been as a scare tactic against system hackers, and it appeared to have backfired on Sony.

Is there actually any relation to the Geohot case and the recent PSN outage, it seemed completely unrelated to me. Geohotz jail-broke the PS3, same way people jail-break phones. There wasn't much for Sony to defend after the key was out in the internet. In the end, Sony accomplished nothing by acquiring IPs from people who simply visited his website or even Geohot himself by taking him to court, since the key was already out. The only visible purpose of Sony's litigation seemed to have been as a scare tactic against system hackers, and it appeared to have backfired on Sony.

That is completely incorrect, you can either read this thread or the internet for how this jailbreak came about/what was used, then hopefully you'll realize wherever/whoever has told you it's done in the same way as a phone has not told you correctly.

I'm two ways split about this....

1) Geohot should have been left alone and sony would have saved thier asses

2) Sony should have had better security on thier servers to begin with.

I will also note that sony should have kept the otherOS thing and left things be with that.

One word of advice for companies, don't go after the jailbreakers, they paid for the devices so they should be able to use them in any way they want, however, the hackers are still wrong to compromise information of people that did no harm to these hackers, the innocent gamers.