[Official] Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote

There were live streams of Stevenotes - WWDC 2010 for one. But: The only supported browser/plugin/OS combination for those was Safari/QuickTime/OS X.

If I recall correctly the past few live streams were announced on very short notice, as in just a few hours before the event. We'll see what happens today.

Yeah, Mephistopheles is right. They were only supported by Safari/QT and through a small hack by VLC, forgot about that because it wasn't a problem for me.

So yea, there were live streams, as I said, but not for everyone, so we both were right. :p

Canada seems to be about the only country with these crazy 3 year contracts. Apple typically caters to the demands of their home market first (the US), where contracts are generally 2 years. That is probably the reasoning behind their typical 2 years of updates for iPhone models.

You guys are complaining about the duration of the contract while none of the careers in my country have the iPhone. Just sucks! All of them are running 3.5G networks(some are testing 3.75G and 4G) but they cant get the iPhone. Its been nearly 5 years now. Really frustrating! :@ I've always wanted an iPhone but no luck. There are ways to get them illegally but its without any warranty or who knows it might not be the real product.

*shrugs* all I can think of is maybe if something goes wrong they're able to edit it out - I know when Steve was having phone issues on stage there were parts of the event that didn't end up on the webcast.

I can remember when he introduced the iPhone 4 he couldnt use the wi-fi to load web pages cause everyone was hooked up.

Yeah, Mephistopheles is right. They were only supported by Safari/QT and through a small hack by VLC, forgot about that because it wasn't a problem for me.

So yea, there were live streams, as I said, but not for everyone, so we both were right. :p

Not just safari/QT, the main limitations were Apple hardware only. I know because the only hardware I've had available at he livestreams have been an iPod Touch and an iPhone :p

Also, the last one wasn't livestreamed. When I finally had a screen of decent size :p (iPad)

There's a rumor about an ARM based MB Air, this would be a bigger deal.

This would definitely be a bigger deal, but I don't see it happening. Unless they just dump iOS on it, there'd be a huge amount of work on OS X to get it working, and none of the DP of Lion have shown any leaked info regarding different architecture support. And I highly doubt they'd dump iOS on a laptop - it's not built for the form factor, the resolution is too low and the entire interface is centered on touch, something that Apple themselves have dismissed out of hand for a laptop/desktop display.

This would definitely be a bigger deal, but I don't see it happening. Unless they just dump iOS on it, there'd be a huge amount of work on OS X to get it working, and none of the DP of Lion have shown any leaked info regarding different architecture support.

Not really, the back end is already in place (OS X's architecture has always been able to support multiple CPU architectures as shown by the PPC->Intel transition, and NeXT before that). Also, iOS is already based on OS X, so in a way there are already ARM builds of OS X in circulation. And Apple is generally pretty good about hiding information that they don't want to make public. I could see their "one more thing" today being that starting with Lion, OS X will support ARM as well as Intel architectures.

And I highly doubt they'd dump iOS on a laptop - it's not built for the form factor, the resolution is too low and the entire interface is centered on touch, something that Apple themselves have dismissed out of hand for a laptop/desktop display.

Apple has shown that with the right input devices (their trackpads), it is possible to interact with an otherwise "touch centric" UI on a device without a touchscreen.

i have also wonder why apple doesnt either, but engadget will be doing a live stream of the event :p

Engadget will have a live stream of a show before it and after it, but they won't be streaming the event. Apple will kick you out for that. If they want it streamed, they will stream it.

Are there currently ARM chips that would provide better performance than Intel's Sandy Bridge?

No, but they sure can operate using a LOT less power. Would be interesting to see Apple release a version of the MBA that had both architectures in one machine: ARM for iOS and Intel for OS X.

Not really, the back end is already in place (OS X's architecture has always been able to support multiple CPU architectures as shown by the PPC->Intel transition, and NeXT before that). Also, iOS is already based on OS X, so in a way there are already ARM builds of OS X in circulation. And Apple is generally pretty good about hiding information that they don't want to make public. I could see their "one more thing" today being that starting with Lion, OS X will support ARM as well as Intel architectures.

With the switch to Intel Apple did provide a developer platform to get things started. It took another 6 months or so for the first commercial Intel Mac to appear. Doubtful they'll dump an ARM-based Mac on the market without giving developers a heads up first.

With the switch to Intel Apple did provide a developer platform to get things started. It took another 6 months or so for the first commercial Intel Mac to appear. Doubtful they'll dump an ARM-based Mac on the market without giving developers a heads up first.

I never meant that they would immediately start shipping ARM based Macs, but this could be their opportunity to announce that the OS will start supporting it (remember, they announced the Intel transition at WWDC as well).

:laugh: I'm looking for a eMate refresh! That could be the MBA running ARM

Oh and one more thing, Newton lives!

I adore your posts!

Approved.png

Glassed Silver:mac

i have also wonder why apple doesnt either, but engadget will be doing a live stream of the event :p

A live blog from engadget.

Live stream means live video. That won't be available.

*shrugs* all I can think of is maybe if something goes wrong they're able to edit it out - I know when Steve was having phone issues on stage there were parts of the event that didn't end up on the webcast.

Just download the WWDC 2010 Keynote from iTunes. It's all there, when he can't load a webpage, when he does another demo saying this will work because it won't need the network and everyone laughed, when he asks everyone to turn of their wifi devices, it's all there.

A live blog from engadget.

Live stream means live video. That won't be available.

No, they are doing a stream as well, it's starting right now, but it's before and after the show, not streaming the show.

[...] That won't be available.

Is it confirmed?

Also I wonder why they don't do it... People get the info live either way, so why not let people see it themselves?

These live blogs annoy me like hell!

I might even hold off this time until Apple releases the video, as I find myself not watching it when it's not live.

No, they are doing a stream as well, it's starting right now, but it's before and after the show, not streaming the show.

The title of this thread is Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote.

Something before and after this Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote is not pertinent.

Is it confirmed?

Also I wonder why they don't do it... People get the info live either way, so why not let people see it themselves?

These live blogs annoy me like hell!

I might even hold off this time until Apple releases the video, as I find myself not watching it when it's not live.

Not that easy, is it? They still gotta be there, have a camera - which Engadget should be able to do.. but anyways, maybe 'be allowed' to have video? I doubt they do not have video simply because someone didn't want to lug around a camera.

The title of this thread is Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote.

Something before and after this Apple WWDC 2011 Keynote is not pertinent.

Except that it has everything to do with the keynote. If you're not interested, do us all a favor and don't even waste space posting.

Are there currently ARM chips that would provide better performance than Intel's Sandy Bridge?

Nope - bettery battery life sure, but nowhere near as much performance as a desktop CPU.

I know they've done it before and I know Unix can support multiple architectures. The question you really need to ask is: why would they do it again? You'd get modest improvements in battery life and severe performance degradation (compared to a desktop/mobile CPU) - it just doesn't add up.

Apple has shown that with the right input devices (their trackpads), it is possible to interact with an otherwise "touch centric" UI on a device without a touchscreen.

Yes, the trackpads allow you to use gestures and multi-touch input, but it's not ideal when the touch surface is not the display. There's no point of reference for where you are touching and the location of the input on the screen. Hey, I'm not saying it won't happen - I bought a Magic Trackpad with my iMac and I use it all the time for gesture input - but beyond that, I don't see how they could use a disconnected input device as the input for a true touch UI (such as iOS).

Not that easy, is it? They still gotta be there, have a camera - which Engadget should be able to do.. but anyways, maybe 'be allowed' to have video? I doubt they do not have video simply because someone didn't want to lug around a camera.

When did I say I want the bloggers to stream?

I want Apple to stream it.

They release it anyways like an hour later.

Ridiculous.