The Wii Gets a Redesign

guess i'm going to have to try and get the old Wii before they disappear, because I did have a few GC games I want to continue to play. The ability to go vertical or horizontal was/is a nice feature. I'm sure Nintendo saved all of $3 with this redesign. :rolleyes:

better hurry up... Amazon and other retailers are already not stocking the "old" design. Walmart dropped the price of the "old" design to $134.96 (as opposed to $149.96) so a little cheaper. I just picked up the Mario Kart bundle for a friend today.

No GC support sounds like a downgrade to me.

I had a Wii years ago, traded it for a flat panel. I had considered getting another one but I wouldn't buy this even at $99...

No GC support = deal breaker.

Not quite as both those Sony redesigns were actual redesigns of the hardware as well, this seems minimal at best. Also the PSPGo wasn't a redesign, it was in fact a whole new product as they kept the UMD functioning PSP in production and still do now.

Regardless of how you try to justify it, the bottom line is that they removed functionality, functionality that was originally there, when releasing a new version. Which is exactly the same thing as what the post i quoted was talking about.

Regardless of how you try to justify it, the bottom line is that they removed functionality, functionality that was originally there, when releasing a new version. Which is exactly the same thing as what the post i quoted was talking about.

Not at all, I agree that the Slim removed functionality from the current PS3 regarding Linux, which was then removed from the original at a later date. So yes that was a poor redesign.

Regarding the PSP Go that wasn't a redesign, it was a new product. The PSP has ALWAYS had a UMD capable model available without any lesser functionality than the start. In fact I believe that they are now running 3 versions that are available. The original PSP with UMD, the Go UMDless but internal storage and now a PSP with UMD but without Wifi. So no it wasn't a redesign, it was adding more options to the PSP range. Pretty much like saying that because Ford come out with a new Focus available with a better cabin spec with wood etc that it is a redesign. it's not, it's just another model in the range, the other one is still available to purchase.

• 2 weeks later...

better hurry up... Amazon and other retailers are already not stocking the "old" design. Walmart dropped the price of the "old" design to $134.96 (as opposed to $149.96) so a little cheaper. I just picked up the Mario Kart bundle for a friend today.

yeah i noticed that. Sadly I won't have the extra money to justify buying one until the first week or so in December. I've seen literally like 3 or 4 (no joke) in all the stores around the city. The Best Buys in my area that do have them left, especially the black one, are being slick now and they are forcing you to buy an extra controller, cables, and other junk because it's a bundle now. I think there's a few Gamestops that have some left. worst comes to worse I'll just buy an old used Wii and call it a day. Will never pay any amount of money for the new one without GC support.

Has anyone seen the new light blue wii. I almost vomited:

GRg6A.png

Yeah I was pretty taken back when I saw that crappy shade of blue. Looks a little too feminine.

If they had matched Sonic's blue, it would look pretty nice.

Not to sound rude but does anyone actually use their Wii anymore? I haven't used mine in over a year and a half.

same same.... collecting dust....

Yeah I was pretty taken back when I saw that crappy shade of blue. Looks a little too feminine.

If they had matched Sonic's blue, it would look pretty nice.

apparently the blue one is going to be exclusive to Wal Mart here in the states.

Funny, I've actually begun using the Wii in our house. Been playing Mario Kart a lot recently, is fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Keeping my wii, going to start playing GameCube games again. Glad I didn't sell my wii, considering it's soft modded for emulators, the genesis emulator I have on it is fantastic, and the lack of GameCube support in the newer models, but this will be the last Nintendo system for me.

Keeping my wii, going to start playing GameCube games again. Glad I didn't sell my wii, considering it's soft modded for emulators, the genesis emulator I have on it is fantastic, and the lack of GameCube support in the newer models, but this will be the last Nintendo system for me.

Don't count out the Wii U just yet! We've barely even touched the surface of what kind of punch the Wii U will give :)

Don't count out the Wii U just yet! We've barely even touched the surface of what kind of punch the Wii U will give :)

As long as Wii U games have backwards compatibility with the current Wii, I would care less about whatever features it has. I rarely have time to play games anyway, but when I do, it's usually the classic games like Super Mario. As long as I can keep buy those and play it, I see no reason to upgrade, even for the HD quality.

This has been posted back in August I believe. Sucks they got rid of GC support but by now everybody that wanted one already has one. And the ones that have it wish it was black so it could at least be hidden in the A/V cabinet since it isn't being used anymore.

As long as Wii U games have backwards compatibility with the current Wii, I would care less about whatever features it has. I rarely have time to play games anyway, but when I do, it's usually the classic games like Super Mario. As long as I can keep buy those and play it, I see no reason to upgrade, even for the HD quality.

Wait.... how can WiiU games be backwards compatible with a Wii? A Wii uses something like a single core ~750Mhz processor with 88MB of RAM, and a WiiU uses a Quad-core 3.0 Ghz processor with ~768 - 1024 MB of RAM (which therefore its games will be designed for). Not a even a PS3 or a 360 would have enough power to play WiiU games :p

(And also considering Nintendo are advertising easy porting from Xbox 360, it may infact run using DirectX?)

• 2 months later...

I said that, then sold my Wii and bought a Nintendo 3DS.. XD I guess I'm not done with Nintendo just yet.