I have tried Razorfold's CFG file and the one from GeForce.com, but neither of them fix the tearing and pop-in for me. I've just about lost all hope with this one and might just mark it off as a loss.

Here's a breakdown of the settings

vt_maxPPF defaults to 128 which is also the max value, so setting it high shouldn't affect anything.

Some options also only work when used from command line/launch options in steam. e.g. adding +com_SkipIntroVideo 1 to launch options will skip the intro videos.

Anyone have stuttering issues and/or know a fix for them? Already tried turning down (and off) AA, as well as VSync, still have it. Really screws my aiming and pretty much everything....outside of that, the texture popping is not as bad as I've seen in some videos...only happens if I turn around really fast, and it only tends to do it towards the edges of the screen. Other then that, I have no issues with the game graphically/performance-wise.

Also, I noticed that if you crash in the buggy you get some cool physics deaths like in another certain driving game :p

Achievement for that in game. There's 3 field goals that you need to fly through when you crash like that.

• Ark Site: This goal post is located only a few meters from where you first emerge from the Ark at the start of the Campaign. Of course, you'll need to acquire Dan's Jetter and come back to this location - try completing it after exiting the Wasted Garage. Line your jetty ip with the goal post, then slowly back up, careful not to alter alignment. When you're as far back as you can get, accelerate and boost, crashing into the guard rail straight ahead. If you have enough speed you'll have to problem splitting these uprights.
  • Mutant Bash TV: These goal posts are extremely difficult to find, located west of the Mutant Bash TV studio. Look for the metal Authority door embedded in the cliff at the end of the road - you can see the tips of uprights just south of the door. Once you find this goal post, scoring the field goal is relatively straightforward. Line up your Jetter with the goal post, back up, and then boost into the rock wall to launch yourself through the uprights.
  • Northern Watch Tower: Leave from Wellspring and race through Scorcher Territory as fast as you can to evade any bandit vehicle. You're safe once you reach the North Watch Tower. Pass through the gate and turn to the north - the goal post is just beyond the ridge. You need as much speed as possible to make it over this distant goal post, so line your Jetter up as far as you can while maintaining alignment. When you can back up no further, accelerate and boost simultaneously, racing towards the rocky ridge in front of the goal post.

Via x360a.

I just read that there are (driver) issues on screen performance. And no manual adjustments can be made.

Any latest news yet? What nvidia drivers have to be installed? I currently have the lastest (non-beta) drivers 280.26.

This should help

http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks?sf2286831=1

Is there a fix yet for crashing as soon as you leave the ark at the VERY start of the game?

I havent even BEGUN to start playing it because of this :(

I'm running a 6950 with the latest RAGE driver (the fixed one, not the one with old OGL files)

Wooops! I actually have an 8800GT 512MB.

EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1 GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Which is the minimum... what do you say to that? Thanks.

You will get beter quality running on the 360 then on a min card, as gfx will scale to keep the 60 frames, when you upgrase it will look better.

I just youtubed rage 8800gt and it looks fine, use the new nvidia beta drivers and it should be all good, personally because you sounded lkke you enjoy gaming on 360 better im leading more toward recomending the 360. But the 8800gt seems should handle i fine from what i sawt, and when upgrade it should look better, i dont recomend SLI though, price for speed a whole new card should be better

EPIC 'fail' of the year :)

Goodbye ID.

You base this on what?

The fact the game won a load of E3 awards? So altho there are a few so so reviews I doubt the game picked up all those awards (20 or so i think) only for something drastic to happen to the final code? Doubt it

Goodbye Id, yeh the fact theyre the daddys of fps and invented the genre, not to mention the doom/quake/wolf franchises. Yeh sure there out the window............

The ironic thing for me is the Rage preview driver from AMD crashes to desktop on loading areas, a lot. (6850)

The OpenGL 4.2 preview driver from months ago works better, but the performance is subpar. Which...is an acceptable compromise in this case. (I have no idea how well the actual normal drivers work.)

Also, aside from the driver issues, I love this game.

My experience of this game.

Install Rage

Double click shortcut

Game crashes

Research problem on Google

Install new drivers from AMD

AMD Drivers screw up and won't install correctly

Uninstall AMD Drivers

Uninstall Rage

I'm so glad I paid money for this....f*ck ID and AMD.

I have tried Razorfold's CFG file and the one from GeForce.com, but neither of them fix the tearing and pop-in for me. I've just about lost all hope with this one and might just mark it off as a loss.

Or just hold on from playing and hope for a patch someday soon?

Larry, the first 2 options in your config file do not work because they are Launch Options for the game.

Yep I actually did know that, skipintromovie or whatever it is was pretty self explanatory. LOL I also think you misunderstood my post. I never actually tried the config file, I was at work reading through it and was wondering what certain things meant since I could not try it out. But the first 2 I had no trouble figuring out. (Y)

Anytime. If you copy and paste the command into the console it will also give you a more detailed explanation of what some of the settings do.

Thats pretty much the best settings and you should have no problem running it at those. Your comp is a lot better than mine, and if mine can play RAGE at those settings with 8x AA at 60fps yours should be just fine.

Nice to know about pasting in the console. That is a great tip. Think I have even done that in other ID engines, just did not remember. I will definitely play around with the settings.

Sorry to keep chiming in but have a question: I'm reading comparisons to Fallout 3 (which I am playing through again on 360) and from what I've seen of RAGE, I'm not sure I am getting the same impression? I'm sure the videos I've watched aren't really going into the RPG elements but some folks have said the RPG elements are really sparse. If there truly is much more depth to the game than what I've seen in videos then I'll jump on it but, alas, I've yet to get a real good idea of what RPG elements are in the game.

I've never been so on the fence over a game before and it probably has more to do with the number of top games coming out in a short period of time.

There are definitely RPG elements, and I am still early on. But I feel as if Fallout was much more dependent on the RPG elements than Rage is. Again though I am still fairly early on, so things can get much more in depth than they already are, but right now, the RPG elements are fairly light IMO.

Anyone have stuttering issues and/or know a fix for them? Already tried turning down (and off) AA, as well as VSync, still have it. Really screws my aiming and pretty much everything....outside of that, the texture popping is not as bad as I've seen in some videos...only happens if I turn around really fast, and it only tends to do it towards the edges of the screen. Other then that, I have no issues with the game graphically/performance-wise.

I only see stuttering after doing a quick save or quick load and it is really minimal, like a split second. Than all is back to normal. Do not see stuttering in the normal course of play.

after installing the AMD drivers from the 4th the game now runs better, but still not good. some texture popping issues remain, and forcing V sync all the way in Catalyst hasn't done much to mitigate the screen tearing. otherwise a really good game, like a better looking Borderlands, if it managed to stop being so wacky in terms of performance - or if id got off their asses and actually put out a patch.

I only see stuttering after doing a quick save or quick load and it is really minimal, like a split second. Than all is back to normal. Do not see stuttering in the normal course of play.

Lucky you.....I rebooted my computer (after about 4 days of uptime) in the hopes that it would fix the stuttering but no-go......I have the latest AMD performance driver for Rage, and have tried forcing VSync off in CCC (though the game still maxed out at 60 FPS with vsync forced off in CCC), and I can't find any other possible solutions, but vsync didn't seem to make a difference. Its really annoying though, I'll aim towards a guy then click my mouse to fire as I'm still moving the mouse, and it will freeze up for a split second, then continue working fine and I will have missed the shot. Its not related to shooting, that's simply the best example of it screwing my gameplay experience....but it happens with driving and everything.

Well after the all of the config options I can now play this game like it was supposed to be played, with the 8k textures and VSYNC.

I've played 4 hours so far and done all of the missions I can think of and I think I'm almost done the game ... seems incredibly short :(

sorry you're having so many problems nagisan. it's strange how different this is from PC to PC, on mine the tearing is now mostly fixed, but i'm still getting texture pop if moving quickly or something like. and lexcyn, there's no way this game is only four hours!

sorry you're having so many problems nagisan. it's strange how different this is from PC to PC, on mine the tearing is now mostly fixed, but i'm still getting texture pop if moving quickly or something like. and lexcyn, there's no way this game is only four hours!

Well I think I finally fixed my stuttering issue, in short by forcing CatalystAI to disable by following these steps.....kinda lame I have to lock my CCC profile and cannot use CCC for the duration of playing Rage....but I tested this fix over the duration of the first sniping mission, and it plays so much better now (I can actually drive and aim without any stuttering). Also texture popping seems entirely gone from my system now (even turning around fast I don't see it anymore), not sure if disabling CatalystAI or rebooting earlier fixed it, but the only issue I have now is minor tearing (not a huge line, and most people probably wouldn't notice it, but being a gamer it is a bit noticeable).

dude just from looking at those steps i get a headache, glad it helped you tho.

Well I spoke too soon....upon trying out the race in the first town to win the upgraded booster, Rage crashed. So I looked up possible fixes, implemented one of them and it seemed to work, but then as soon as I got to Wellspring, I started getting artifacts, and some NPCs started flickering. I also noticed, after fixing the crash at load screen issue, I seem to have brought back the stuttering I originally had. I might try rolling back the fix I just did and see if that crash at load screen was maybe just a fluke that won't happen again.

Chances are though in the current state of this game I'm going to need to wait for the proper patches to fix it.....what a disappointment.

I highly doubt its vsync causing it. And i disagree that PC gamers should be given the options to manually adjust, because they will pump it above what their system can handle ( because everybody thinks they got a kick ass system ), when after they do that, they will go and slam the crap out of it for running or looking like crap, and their friends will see it look and run like crap and so on, and they will call support for the game to try and help it not work like crap, the support will fix it by lowring settings, and they will jack it back up and call later.

The game takes diversity in system components into consideration and automatically adjusts. Are you thinking the game just picks random options, no it will prebench the system and put stuff to the systems max to remain at 60.

what about... a little option at the bottom of the menu which opens the 'advanced graphics options' menu, but not before showing you a disclaimer that it is not officially supported, and maybe the 'ok' button is replaced with an 'i agree' button for a clause which says you do not complain about frame rates?

For the record, iD has never really had extensive video setting options via the gui. Plus, the new engine should remove any need for such options as its supposed to be dynamic. As soon as you start hardcoding them you might actually make your gameplay and visuals worse. You shouldn't need to tweak anything once your video driver is optimized, which is not on iD.

What do you want, the screen size scaling back? ;)

what about... a little option at the bottom of the menu which opens the 'advanced graphics options' menu, but not before showing you a disclaimer that it is not officially supported, and maybe the 'ok' button is replaced with an 'i agree' button for a clause which says you do not complain about frame rates?

As far as my previous comment regarding vsync, i was wrong on that. As some fix's regarding tearing and other stuff one of the fix's is to disable/enable it via the driver software control panel

But as far as the " i agree " button, it is arguable the least read, most ignored, lied about thing with computers.

*edit- can you name something younremember from the neowin clause you agreed to when creating an account without looking back and reading

Here's one for you guys, I am left handed, trying to bind the Keypad 5 key to move forward, but it wont let me, anyone know how to do it from the .cfg file instead of from within the game?

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you!