• It grew on me
    • I still don't like it
  2. 2. My Theme choice is

• Pegasus (light)
    • Darkside
    • Green
    • Midnight
    • Pro

I've had only one irk with it this entire time: That is the lack of a default option to disable those three intrusive images. I'm making due with a stylish script, but is it really too much to ask to have a checkbox on the front page to do this instead of having to run a huge addon with Firefox simply to perform this task?

Other than that, I've adjusted nicely, save for the lack of my midnight legacy.

I've had only one irk with it this entire time: That is the lack of a default option to disable those three intrusive images. I'm making due with a stylish script, but is it really too much to ask to have a checkbox on the front page to do this instead of having to run a huge addon with Firefox simply to perform this task?

Other than that, I've adjusted nicely, save for the lack of my midnight legacy.

What 3 images?

What 3 images?

I'm guessing he's speaking of the three news items at the top of the front page. Not sure what that section is called, but currently it has the three stories "Dual-Core LTE Windows Phones are coming" "Microsoft wants Win 8 system requirements to match Win 7" and "Bing to power Facebook translator"

I personally don't see the problem with them, but I've heard the complaint before.

Yep, Old theme was much better. This is like a downgrade.

Nothing beats Pink/Purple.

Can't believe we have dropped it... :no:

Glassed Silver:mac

Oh, sweety, only you would want a girly theme! ACTUALLY ... there is a site called "The Scarlet Lounge" that is aimed at females... it's run by RedFlagDeals which is a Canadian deals forum.

FYI - Pegasus is the new theme, Darkside and the rest are colors of Pegasus. So If you hate the light theme but like darkside you are still talking about Pegasus :D

Oh, sweety, only you would want a girly theme! ACTUALLY ... there is a site called "The Scarlet Lounge" that is aimed at females... it's run by RedFlagDeals which is a Canadian deals forum.

Oh thank you, so it must fit me way better than the community I'm now a member of for almost 7 and a half years.

Thank you for informing me. (Y)

facepalm3.jpg

It is not that this theme is bad, it's that the old theme was better. This is like a minor downgrade.

Couldn't have put it better.

What irritates me most with this theme is the font sizes. The page numbers and the poll options are tiny, yet the usernames and quotes are relatively huge. This reply box text is also huge. Font sizes should be done relative to their importance.

The page numbers should be the same size as "back to site announcements" (the actual font size). It isn't so bad with the "next" link, but the numbers are a bit hard to click.

Quotes should be the same size as the rest of a post as they are not more important. User names should be smaller too, and the size plus the staff colours in some cases just looks odd as a result. Is the content of a post less important than who wrote it and the post they are quoting? While we are on quotes, why is it so over-designed relative to the rest of the theme? Curvy borders, dotted borders, top banner, quotation in the background, loads of margin/padding. Looks like a bizarre combination of something new and a leftover from the old theme.

Reply box text should be the same as the posts as you lose any relevancy with the font sizes you select.

What irritates me most with this theme is the font sizes. The page numbers and the poll options are tiny, yet the usernames and quotes are relatively huge. This reply box text is also huge. Font sizes should be done relative to their importance.

The page numbers should be the same size as "back to site announcements" (the actual font size). It isn't so bad with the "next" link, but the numbers are a bit hard to click.

Quotes should be the same size as the rest of a post as they are not more important. User names should be smaller too, and the size plus the staff colours in some cases just looks odd as a result. Is the content of a post less important than who wrote it and the post they are quoting? While we are on quotes, why is it so over-designed relative to the rest of the theme? Curvy borders, dotted borders, top banner, quotation in the background, loads of margin/padding. Looks like a bizarre combination of something new and a leftover from the old theme.

Reply box text should be the same as the posts as you lose any relevancy with the font sizes you select.

The font size for quotes should be the same as unquoted text. I'd prefer it if the default Pegasus theme used the same simple quote boxes as the Midnight and Pro themes. Those quote boxes seem to fit in better with the site. For some reason, the dotted box and quote symbol only shows up in Chrome 14. It doesn't show up in Firefox 7 or IE10.

Why should the font size for names be smaller? I'm curious because I always found it odd that it was small in the previous skin (Atlas). Also, which staff colours look odd? I assume it's a combination of coloured text and a slightly larger-than-before font size.

FYI - Pegasus is the new theme, Darkside and the rest are colors of Pegasus. So If you hate the light theme but like darkside you are still talking about Pegasus :D

Yeah, Pegasus is the name of Neowin's current style iteration. One of the Pegasus themes is also called Pegasus but the others (Darkside, Midnight, Green, Pro, etc...) should still be considered part of the Pegasus-style era. They are all, in effect, part of Pegasus.

I always liked it but now with the full site using it its far better and all the tweaks have made a good experience into an awesome one. Well done guys :D

Oh thank you, so it must fit me way better than the community I'm now a member of for almost 7 and a half years.

Thank you for informing me. (Y)

I wasn't saying it is 'way better', just that it was designed to help females find deals, and bargains in their day-to-day life. Jeeze, you make it sound like I was telling you this place sucked, and Scarlet Lounge was the only place for women. But I didn't say that. Sheesh!

I like the theme, the design and colors. But I don't like the overload features. Animations and fading wherever you rollover, absurd tooltips and and and. Neowin is not one of the fastest platforms in the web. Sad that there are no ambitions to make a smaller design (with smaller code of course) for a quicker experience. It feels like with might and main use all css3 features but the least are really useful applied.

The old was better, the new is not bad.

Page numbers are the same size as Back to Site Announcement link, and they also have a larger clickable area too? :s

post-2-0-48964700-1318923044_thumb.png

Quotes are slightly smaller than the post font as well. I wonder if you need to recache your browser or something, we've made a ton of updates in the previous two week, or tell me what theme you're on, if it's Darkside, that may be slightly different than the lighter themes.

post-2-0-19489200-1318923047_thumb.png

And where are you seeing curvy borders? If you ask me you're running some sort of stylish script overriding the Pegasus theme, because Pegasus doesn't have any curvy borders at all?

It is not that this theme is bad, it's that the old theme was better. This is like a minor downgrade.

This

Why should the font size for names be smaller? I'm curious because I always found it odd that it was small in the previous skin (Atlas). Also, which staff colours look odd? I assume it's a combination of coloured text and a slightly larger-than-before font size.

It is a combination of the large text and the colours. The staff ones have always been bold IIRC, but the combination of that, plus the colours and the non-bold regular weight names just appears odd to me. It makes the staff ones stand out more than they should, and the subscriber ones with the orange just look peculiar with the large but not bold font. Fiddling around with Chrome's dev tools, if I make them 95% of their current size they look much better to me. May just be a case of getting used to it though - they look a little better already with the smaller quote text.

The font size for quotes should be the same as unquoted text. I'd prefer it if the default Pegasus theme used the same simple quote boxes as the Midnight and Pro themes. Those quote boxes seem to fit in better with the site. For some reason, the dotted box and quote symbol only shows up in Chrome 14. It doesn't show up in Firefox 7 or IE10.

Looks like they've updated the quotes to have smaller text now, and not have the quote image and dotted borders. (Y) Still has curvy borders though. The quotes in Midnight/Pro are fine though.

Page numbers are the same size as Back to Site Announcement link, and they also have a larger clickable area too? :s

post-2-0-48964700-1318923044_thumb.png

Quotes are slightly smaller than the post font as well. I wonder if you need to recache your browser or something, we've made a ton of updates in the previous two week, or tell me what theme you're on, if it's Darkside, that may be slightly different than the lighter themes.

post-2-0-19489200-1318923047_thumb.png

And where are you seeing curvy borders? If you ask me you're running some sort of stylish script overriding the Pegasus theme, because Pegasus doesn't have any curvy borders at all?

No stylish and I've cleared my cache in Chrome several times now. They are fine in the Midnight/Pro themes. Pegasus looks like this though: http://imageshack.us...545/quoter.jpg/ (P.S. I can't find where the image attachment feature has gone?)

It is something odd though as it is fine in Firefox, which makes no sense when clearing the cache isn't helping Chrome (and I've closed the browser each time).

As for the page numbers, they seem to require too much of a precision-click. I mean the actual numbers, as prev/next are fine. Maybe the clickable area just needs to be a little bit wider?

I wasn't saying it is 'way better', just that it was designed to help females find deals, and bargains in their day-to-day life. Jeeze, you make it sound like I was telling you this place sucked, and Scarlet Lounge was the only place for women. But I didn't say that. Sheesh!

Well, tell me the relevance then.

How is that site remotely a substitute for Neowin offering a girly theme?

I know how to find deals myself and I'm not even in their reach of offerings as I reside in Germany.

But honest thanks anyways, even though I see no relevance. :s

Sorry for the misunderstandings.

I've definitely got an issue with leaving Neowin forum tabs open (Ubuntu 11.04, Chromium 14.0.835.202) and my browser slowing to a crawl, at least on those tabs. I have to close Neowin tabs or seemingly they end up going so slow that it takes 30 seconds to a minute to open the tab again. I don't know if a script is going crazy or what. I haven't really gotten a chance to figure out what's causing the issue yet though. Anyone else seen anything similar?

If Ahmad feels like it, we could do a rainbow theme :p

Girl theme I call!

I've definitely got an issue with leaving Neowin forum tabs open (Ubuntu 11.04, Chromium 14.0.835.202) and my browser slowing to a crawl, at least on those tabs. I have to close Neowin tabs or seemingly they end up going so slow that it takes 30 seconds to a minute to open the tab again. I don't know if a script is going crazy or what. I haven't really gotten a chance to figure out what's causing the issue yet though. Anyone else seen anything similar?

All dandy here, Safari on OS X Lion. :)

Definitely an improvement. I'm glad you listened on making the posts with constrasting borders and backgrounds to make it easier to differentiate where in each post starts and ends. But, Pegasus still burns holes in my eyes, especially the Spy feed. Way too white. If you can use two shades of blue and limit the whiteness, then that would be win. Same would be true for the other colored themes.

Sticking with Midnight for now, though I would like to come back to Pegasus at some point hopefully.