LCD TV or Plasma TV

Plasma for picture quality. Plasma's todays have such good anti glare coating and much higher brightness levels anyway (due to the brightness requirements for 3D they're more than twice as bright on the whites now) that bright rooms aren't a problem.

Plasma gives much better contrast, true black, no ghosting or bleeding, warmer and more natural colors and a much more comfortable and calmer picture to watch.

the only reason to go LED LCD is for you're a style ###### who needs to hang your tv on the wall and have it seem nearly seamless. if you don't mind that your tv sticke 5-10 cm out of the wall and has more usable and accessible ports, then there's no reason to chose an inferior and more expensive LED.

Plasma for picture quality. Plasma's todays have such good anti glare coating and much higher brightness levels anyway (due to the brightness requirements for 3D they're more than twice as bright on the whites now) that bright rooms aren't a problem.

Plasma gives much better contrast, true black, no ghosting or bleeding, warmer and more natural colors and a much more comfortable and calmer picture to watch.

the only reason to go LED LCD is for you're a style ###### who needs to hang your tv on the wall and have it seem nearly seamless. if you don't mind that your tv sticke 5-10 cm out of the wall and has more usable and accessible ports, then there's no reason to chose an inferior and more expensive LED.

While I whole heatedly agree that plasma's have the best picture quality and have come a very long way with anti-glare and such they still do glare. I have installed many many TV's in many different environments and even the newest and best plasma's will give more glare than an LED (other than Samsung LED's which are just as bad as any plasma). But if you don't have direct lighting on where the TV is going definitely get a plasma just make sure to CALIBRATE IT. Makes a world of difference with any TV.

when it comes to LCD vs Plasma it's very personal opinionated, my best suggestion would be to go to a store and compair them yourself to see which you prefere :)

If you go samsung plasma, get at minimum the d550, it's the lowest model that has 1080p panel, d450 and under are 1024x768 panels; yes they will accept 1080p signal, but it will be downscaled to 1024x768.

Me I have the PN51D6900 (Canada version of the D6500) and it's my best TV yet. I had LCD and LED before, and while it's true that they are brighter, plasma has a more "natural" feel to them. Also, if you game a lot, there is nearly zero input lag on them.

Last; I game a lot, own all three console, and I've never had image burn-in. Some small image retention (Non permanent version of bur-in, burn-in is pratiqualy non existent on recent plasma) after long gaming sessions, but you won't notice it unless on a pure color background, and even then it goes away very fast, less than 10min for me!

I've always considered myself an LCD guy but I've recently been leaning towards Plasma for larger sizes. I bought my grandma a 43" Samsung 430 series Plasma for $399 at Wal-Mart a few weeks ago and was blown away. Great value and a great picture. I've only had LCDs and watching a Plasma is actually very enjoyable. I find my thinking "so that's what black on a TV can look like". The Plasma is used in my grandma's living room and one entire wall is almost windows. I was worried about glare. Although there is some glare, it's not nearly as bad as some people would make you think. I haven't had anyone complain about it. After years of rejecting Plasmas, I'm finally myself considering a Plasma for my next TV. A 51" 1080p 3D Plasma for $849 on Amazon is what I'll probably great. The new Samsungs have really nice thin bezels, even the cheap ones.

My advice, buy Plasma.

LED..

its like this

Plasma<LCD<LED<OLED(Maybe the next display)

ehhh, no, maybe in backwards land.

on what planet is a LCD or even a LED better than a Plasma ?

I thought plasma tv's didn't last nearly as long as LCD/LED. Is that incorrect?

btw - Just bought a 55" Toshiba LCD.

I thought plasma tv's didn't last nearly as long as LCD/LED. Is that incorrect?

btw - Just bought a 55" Toshiba LCD.

Not it's wrong. it's a rumor that stems from the early days of Plasma and LCD and was wrong then to. If anything they last longer.

There are AV forums that provide calibration discs you can download and use.

the question is if you really need to. if you don't think you can do the calibration yourself. you don't need to do it, you won't notice a difference anyway. just set the TV to neutral or warm colors, turn of dynamic contrast and enjoy, alternatively turn off thelights and set it to movie mode when watching a movie (movie mode reduces the brightness to maintain more realistic and dynamic color and shadows without losing details, so you need a dark room, or visa versa).

I got a LG LCD (LED Backlight) the other day after not getting the 51" Samsung Plasma that I wanted - sold out on Black Friday. The LG was second on the list. I would have definitely rathered plasma but this LED is pretty nice for the price. Normally $700 got it for $500 on Black Friday so nice deal.

As for those config discs, think I could run it from my WDTV Live Streaming? I guess prolly so since it plays ISOs, i want do calibrate it too as best as it can be. my LED was pretty thin so it's mounted as well, it's like 1.3" thick so that was a plus for it too :)