LCD TV or Plasma TV

She won't notice a difference. just leave it as is.

There's something you have to realize about calibrating. if you calibrate a tv properly, most regular users like your mother will complain the picture is plain, grey and boring. they don't care that those colors are more realistic and that they get more details in highlights and shadows.

regular users they want bright colors and dynamic contrast. if you calibrate it properly for her, she won't be happy with the picture. at least on a LCD/LED which is incapable of showing details in dark and rbight areas, without reducing contrast and brightness, but it's true for any tv. even old CRTS which still technically has the best pictuire s far as colors and contrast go. people still wanted super saturated colors and over active dynamic contrast.

Although Plasma TV's have better picture quality, I'd hate to have one because of all the care involved. My friend has a Plasma TV and he always freaks out when there's a static image on the screen, like a load screen in a game or a pause menu, because he's worried about burn-in. :p

For that reason, I'd always choose LCD or LED over Plasma.

Although Plasma TV's have better picture quality, I'd hate to have one because of all the care involved. My friend has a Plasma TV and he always freaks out when there's a static image on the screen, like a load screen in a game or a pause menu, because he's worried about burn-in. :p

Unless he's on that loading screen for several days, or his plasma is 6+ years old, he shouldn't worry. even if he gets burn in, it'll go away again in at most a few hours (usually a few minutes). It's not called burn in anymore, but image retention. Burn in would mean you have a panel defect.

LED for gaming.

Plasma has 0.005 or so ms response time. Plasma is definitely what you wan for gaming ;)

Plasma for picture quality. Plasma's todays have such good anti glare coating and much higher brightness levels anyway (due to the brightness requirements for 3D they're more than twice as bright on the whites now) that bright rooms aren't a problem.

Plasma gives much better contrast, true black, no ghosting or bleeding, warmer and more natural colors and a much more comfortable and calmer picture to watch.

the only reason to go LED LCD is for you're a style ###### who needs to hang your tv on the wall and have it seem nearly seamless. if you don't mind that your tv sticke 5-10 cm out of the wall and has more usable and accessible ports, then there's no reason to chose an inferior and more expensive LED.

lol, a style ######. Why can't it just be if they like the style. I sense jealousy.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry about that because burn-in image can be removed. Long time ago when Plasmas came out for first time, we used to worry about the problem. Now we don't have to worry since there are ways to fix it. See my post on page 2 on this topic.

I just bought a 47LW5300 and I couldn't be happier. Playing SW:ToR on it is amazing. After some tweaking, there is no humanly noticeable gaming lag, on my PC games or XBox. Nvidias 3D Vision drivers with it are pretty awesome as well. I'm not an aficionado on black levels, but they look superb for me.

I personally prefer LED-LCD over Plasma. Working in the scrap business, we buy a ton of plasma TVs that people say only lasted 2 years, 3 years, 4 years. You can tell on all of them the picture that is burnt in, and see what it was. And of course, friends that have owned them were generally none to happy. I'm not saying they don't look great, but when they are constantly brought into a scrap yard, and I think I've only ever seen 3 or 4 LCD TV's as compared to a couple dozen plasma's, that says something to me.

No doubt. I struggle to hit the power button....and the soft feather brush I use once a week is brutal!

I think the biggest (and maybe only) advantage over LCD/LED over Plasma is power consumption. This Kuro is almost a secondary heater. :)

Unless he's on that loading screen for several days, or his plasma is 6+ years old, he shouldn't worry. even if he gets burn in, it'll go away again in at most a few hours (usually a few minutes). It's not called burn in anymore, but image retention. Burn in would mean you have a panel defect.

Plasma has 0.005 or so ms response time. Plasma is definitely what you wan for gaming ;)

I agree, I can tell a difference from playing on my dads LED and my Plasma. Everything on his seems a little off from the controller response and my tv its perfect.

Listen to Hawkman, I spent a good month researching before I picked up a TV for my place and eventually decided on a Panasonic plasma. Spent a couple hours easily in a proper audio/video store (not a big box chain) comparing various TVs. Everyone who I've spoken to that really cares about PQ has always recommended plasma over any LCD set.

I just bought a 47LW5300 and I couldn't be happier. Playing SW:ToR on it is amazing. After some tweaking, there is no humanly noticeable gaming lag, on my PC games or XBox. Nvidias 3D Vision drivers with it are pretty awesome as well. I'm not an aficionado on black levels, but they look superb for me.

I personally prefer LED-LCD over Plasma. Working in the scrap business, we buy a ton of plasma TVs that people say only lasted 2 years, 3 years, 4 years. You can tell on all of them the picture that is burnt in, and see what it was. And of course, friends that have owned them were generally none to happy. I'm not saying they don't look great, but when they are constantly brought into a scrap yard, and I think I've only ever seen 3 or 4 LCD TV's as compared to a couple dozen plasma's, that says something to me.

Don't EVER listen to what people say, stuff is always much older than they think. When people come to the store with broken stuff and they think it's 2 or 3 years old, when we look up the receipt in the system it's lost always over 5 years old. Putting it outside mandatory factory fault warranty.

And if you do buy a less than five year old plasma with an image "burnt" in, then just run the built in clearing function or run it on a movie for a while and the image retention is gone.

Aside from the issue of screen burn, plasma's are better hands down. Better picture quality and truer colors.

With that said, my daughter left a splash screen from Xbox on for too long and it is burned into the screen, however it can't be detected unless the TV is on but with no signal.

Only just 3 days ago I decided to buy a new TV, I spent around an hour in Currys looking at various TV's. Anyway, I decided on a LG 50" 3D Plasma, which set me back around ?600, which was much cheaper than the ?1300 46" Sony Bravia LCD it replaced but comparing the 2 is a no brainer, the plasma is fantastic, a much better picture in terms of contrast, colour reproduction and clarity. The only down side is that it weighs quite a fair bit more. As for LED, my PC monitor is a 24" LED and that's pretty damn good too but this Plasma just seems slightly better in terms of picture quality, they have definitely come on and matured in terms of technology.

I would go for Plasma unless you can afford a OLED IPS 4K set. ;)

And if you do buy a less than five year old plasma with an image "burnt" in, then just run the built in clearing function or run it on a movie for a while and the image retention is gone.

I find no such option in the menu of my Samsung 3D plasma TV, could you please shed some light on this issue.....Thanks.

[Edit] It's a Samsung 550 series.

We used to have a 42" Hitachi plasma - which in it's day was superb! Picture quality was far superior to other sets - including an LCD purchased by my parents.

But over time, the set developed problems, so we've recently purchased a Samsung 55D7000 LED. The picture quality on it is absolutely amazing and blows the plasma out of the water - both in regular TV viewing and in game play (Xbox via HDMI). The Wii (connected via composite) was better on the plasma.

Must be a really old plasma for the 7000 to blow it out of the water, I could understand a Samsung 8000 or Philips 9000 being better than an old plasma, but not a 7000

Have two Panasonic plasmas and wouldn't even contemplate getting anything different, if I needed another one. Unless you wanted to hang the TV on the wall or had an extremely bright room I couldn't imagine an LCD being better than a plasma. Panasonic plasmas are the market leading TVs in terms of quality for a reason (now that Pioneer has exited the market).

OLED will probably eventually overtake plasma, but until then, plasma all the way.

Must be a really old plasma for the 7000 to blow it out of the water, I could understand a Samsung 8000 or Philips 9000 being better than an old plasma, but not a 7000

7000/8000 are essentially the same set - apart from aesthetics. The Hitachi was a 42PD7000.

7000/8000 are essentially the same set - apart from aesthetics. The Hitachi was a 42PD7000.

Errr no, the Samsung 8000 is light years ahead of the 7000 in PQ. I do have them right here in front of me. The 8000 still has the trademark LED ghosting end bleeding though.

I have read through this entire thread, it's funny how people seem to keep missing your posts HawkMan...

I have a quick question though, clearly you are pro-plasma, I was just wondering which you think is better, an LED/LCD or plasma display, for 3d content (comparing similarly priced television sets)

Plasma shifts faster on active glasses. But on the cheaper plasma sets brightness is lower so you need dark rooms for optimal performance.

But then again, 3d is only or movies, and movies are watched in dark rooms.

My preference though. No stupid 3d at all. Better PQ to.