LCD TV or Plasma TV

LED or LCD. Plasma is crap.

Again, in what way. people keep saying this without giving any reason, when EVERY stat as far as PQ goes is better on a plasma.

The only TV that even gets close to a plasma is the Samsung 8 series (and similar) we have it set up at the shop. and it's an awesome TV, the picture is super sharp and the contrast is great, But edge light bleeding, not quite as good blacks or colors as the plasmas.

it's just impossible for an LCD based tv to get as good as a plasma. Most people actually preferred the HD ready Panasonic 50 inch Plasma over the Samsung. Which I can understand. When everythign about the pictures except the resolution, which they don't care to much about anyway, is better, and the price is less than a quarter of it, then yeah, I'd go for it to.

Again, in what way. people keep saying this without giving any reason, when EVERY stat as far as PQ goes is better on a plasma.

The only TV that even gets close to a plasma is the Samsung 8 series (and similar) we have it set up at the shop. and it's an awesome TV, the picture is super sharp and the contrast is great, But edge light bleeding, not quite as good blacks or colors as the plasmas.

it's just impossible for an LCD based tv to get as good as a plasma. Most people actually preferred the HD ready Panasonic 50 inch Plasma over the Samsung. Which I can understand. When everythign about the pictures except the resolution, which they don't care to much about anyway, is better, and the price is less than a quarter of it, then yeah, I'd go for it to.

For one, plasma TV's are outdated technology by now. They may have a great picture, but they come with consequences as well. The main reason that I say Plasma is crap, is because the picture can freeze into the screen if you have the same picture on the screen for a while (Think I heard it's after like 5 hours it starts to freeze into screen?)

For one, plasma TV's are outdated technology by now. They may have a great picture, but they come with consequences as well. The main reason that I say Plasma is crap, is because the picture can freeze into the screen if you have the same picture on the screen for a while (Think I heard it's after like 5 hours it starts to freeze into screen?)

In the first generation of plasmas days, we used to worry about that problem but now we don't because new plasmas have new feature to prevent that problem and there are some solutions to fix the ghost-like images on the screen if that happens on older plasmas. Which is why there are smart people in the world to solve the problem. If you want a plasma, no problem. Got a 'ghost-like' image on the screen? no problem, look up on the internet for the fix.

Not if you have anti-burn in Plasma TV. If you do not have anti-burn, then the image can burn on the screen and you can tell. For example, network logo such as ESPN logo in lower right corner which is staying there for awhile and then when you turn it off, you will notice 'ghost-like' ESPN image on the screen. If this happens, no big deal because the 'ghost-like' images can be removed with the special software or something like that. If you have to look up on Google for that.

Plasmas are great for dark rooms. LCD/LED are great for any time of the day or night.

My brother has 2 plasmas and been running over 5 years now. No problems so far which I used to hear about plasmas going out in 5 years, I mean plasmas stop working and you get black screen and nothing going on.

Plasma is no more outdated than LCD, nd FYI, LED is LCD. and as has been said, the burn in problem is gone. Panasonic even has a 5 day warranty that tv logos won't be burned in even after 5 days. Plasma's have no shorter lifetime than an LCD. in fact they have longer time. an LCD used CFL's, these die. a LED tv uses LED's LED's actually go dimmer for every hour they're used for their entire lifetime untill they hit about 20-40% of original power depending on type. A 5 year old plasma will look as good as when it was new, a 5 year old LED will be significantly dimmer.

Now we're not even talking about the PQ differences. Where a plasma has perfect blacks. individual light control of every pixel (even backlit LED's don't have that, they have about a 1000 back light LEDs, this is less than 10% of the pixels). Plasma's also suffer no ghosting or Edge light bleeding, which EVERY LCD/LED has, even the high end Series 8 samsung.

Plasma may be "older" technology, but it's still better technology. and Plasma today is no the same as Plasma 5 years ago, much less Plasma's of 10 years ago which was when you had the issues you're talking about. And the quality of LCD's back then was horrendous. I'm surprised people even wanted to switch from their CRT's.

the whole 5 year thing is the same thing as the idea peopel had that Plasma's laked gas and stopped working. it's just not possible and just does not happen. if a TV dies it's because it breaks down, andis as likely to happen to a LCD as a Plasma.

A 5 year old plasma will look as good as when it was new, a 5 year old LED will be significantly dimmer.

No no, that's just utter non-sense. Both technologies get dimmer with time, but it will only be noticeable after a very substantial amount of usage. We're talking decades of casual usage before it would be noticeable. Absolutely not 5 years. No need to spread lies...

The only real advantage of LCD over plasma is that it uses much less power and the chassis can be smaller and more suitable for hanging on a wall. To some people, those are two very important advantages.

But most importantly, it comes down to brand. If you buy a crappy branded plasma or LCD, it will probably get sub-par performance and life.

I know I have 1-Year manufacture warranty so I will be using my plasma anything wrong I can get it replaced. But I'm sure that I won't have any faults with my Plasma.

Another vote for LED, can't beat the depth of the picture

Unless it's a plasma, THEN you can't beat it for depth of picture ;)

Yuuup. Hell, even some of the LCD's are just as good as the LED/LCD's for depth.

that's because LED IS LCD.

Plasma. But it really depends on what you use it for.

I hated LCD for gaming, I couldn't see anything on my 32 because of the stupid resolution. Plasma is great for my gaming needs, and it makes my HD sports look fantastic.

Unless it's a plasma, THEN you can't beat it for depth of picture ;)...

I used to think so too, my sis and her hubby have a Sony Plasma...she was dumbfounded after seeing our LG LED...she'll be getting one soon.

LED is a much more economic choice. Plasma is very expesinve to fix but today's TV's are just about equal. My Toshiba LED TV was a excellent choice.

I used to think so too, my sis and her hubby have a Sony Plasma...she was dumbfounded after seeing our LG LED...she'll be getting one soon.

Well yea, that Sony plasma is probably 5ish years old (Sony stopped making plasma's in 06 or 07).

I guarantee they wouldn't want an LG LED after viewing my Pro-111FD

A mediocre HDTV might produce black levels of 0.05 to 0.07 cd/m2, while an excellent HDTV might offer levels of 0.01 to 0.03 cd/m2. Historically, plasma HDTVs have produced the best black levels, specifically the now-defunct Pioneer Kuro HDTV brand. The Kuro's screen got so satisfyingly dark that it remained a popular HDTV for enthusiasts long after Pioneer stopped making the sets. The domination of plasma in this field, however, is over. Our current Editors' Choice HDTV, the LED-based LG Infinia 47LW5600, puts out only 0.01 cd/m2, the best level we can measure. That any LED-backlit LCD can get that dark shows how far the technology has come.

source

I have a 6 year old 37" Plasma TV and the picture quality is damn near perfect when it is calibrated correctly. My dad has a 55" LED Samsung and I think my TV looks better :p He won't let me calibrate it for him so that's prob the biggest reason but I have calibrated it once and changed it back and I still think my TV looks better.

Stats and tests mean nothing in the TV market. It's what is going to best suit the buyers needs. Plasma>LED>LCD. That's for me. For the next guy, it could be different. It all depends what you use it for.

It's no different than an argument about what the better browser is. It's up to the individual, to find the type that suits them best.

Yeah when the entire screen is black and it turns off the backlight.

LEDs today have horizontal zones where it will turn off the backlight. Which can give excellent blacks in that area. But put a hute pixel next to a black and plama sill is perfect black to perfect white. Hthe contrast and dynamic of the picture is unmatched. LC technology just can't match it technically.

RGB backlit LED was close, but not quite there since it was light zones, not individual pixels, also it was extremely expensive.

Whats the best way to calibrate a TV? I mean my Mother is buying a new one this weekend. Her first "flat panel". She doesn't want anything but Sony.. She is a Sony brand freak, but I know I want to calibrate it for her.. She is probably getting a 55" LED Sony.

Can I calibrate it, without some expensive tool to buy?