Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

That is for ARM machines. Get yourself any x86 machine and install any version of windows you want. How about you download ReactOS which is very similar to windows 2000 and runs a lot of windows applications. Or use Windows 7 until EOL in ten odd years, who knows by that time you might be sick of computing and not care anymore anyway.

And who said windows xp was not for sale?

http://www.saverstor...N-XP-HOME-REFUR

Can still buy Vista as well. I am sure windows 2000 can be bought on ebay. You do know how to install an OS don't you? You don't need recovery partitions or to be forced to buy a new machine.

Oh yes,Recact OS. I know about that it is a clone of Windows 2000. And is said to run exactly like Windows,but it is not Windows or Linux based. And unlike Windows it is free to use. I did made a CD of it from the ISO file but it would not install. That is I could not install it or boot from the live CD version of it.

They say react OS is only in the Alpha stage and has been that way for the past 5 years. And they also say it is not very stable. And according to what I have read and the videos I have seen.Some of the drivers may not work. For example even if I could get it to install my network Wifi or webcam may not work.

But I have several netbooks with Windows 7 on them and 2 windows XP netbooks. And I have replaced Windows 7 on 2 of my netbooks with Linux. one netbook runs Zoren OS as the only operating system on that netbook. And the other netbook runs Linux Mint 11 as the only operating system. And both run without any problems and all of the drivers including the Wifi works.So I can connect to the internet wirelessly.

And also most versions of Linux have a start menu. But Windows 8 Consumer Preview has got nothing.

And the only difference between Windows 2000,windows XP and windows Vista and Windows 7,is the start menu. And the Aero,transparent theme. But whatever theme you use on Windows Vista and Windows 7,Aero or Windows Classic you WILL ALWAYS have a start menu. On Windows 8 you have got nothing.

And that is why most people cannot use it and the no start menu is one of the reasons. The other is there are a lot of problems in Windows 8 Consumer preview. It gave me a lot of headache. That is why I uninstalled it and went back to Windows 7.

Windows 8 developers preview was fine as not only could you disable Metro. And use third party software like Classic Shell to get a Windows XP start menu both with the Metro theme enabled or disabled. But it worked better and was a lot more user friendly. But unfortunately Windows 8 Consumer preview is completely the opposite to that.

That is why if they make Windows 8 like Consumer Preview I will NEVER use it. NO WAY. Andrea Borman.

Ok i want to give windows 8 a go, Is there any way of upgrading Windows 7 but keeping it seperate in case i still need to boot into it?

The dev previews metro apps and layout weren't terribly impressive, but based on what they've said has been changed I'm going to love it.

I had problems with .NET 1.1 so the dev preview wasn't for me, but I'm definately installing the beta in some form. I don't know if it will be my primary OS but I suspect so.

Wait, are you serious? .NET 1.1? Is there a reason you haven't moved to at least .NET 2.0? There were a ton of advancements to .NET post 1.x...

IMO, though I've used it though vbox, there are only a few small areas where they could tweak the UI a bit but with the changes so far and using the new kb shortcuts I don't see any issue with using it over Win7. Hell with the better multimonitor support I might finally get a 2nd screen now. The best thing would be if the screen that will have the start screen would be touch while the 2nd or 3rd stick to the desktop etc. That might be the best way to go about it but again, I'm used to the new UI and changes. Maybe it's because i've always ued and tried other OS's and UI's so I pick up on the changes and get used to them easier than most out there.

The only thing people should keep in mind is the 2 different task switcher UI's Win8 CP now has. The new winkey+tab start screen switcher is only for metro apps and the desktop as a whole while the original Alt+tab supports metro apps AND individual desktop apps where the new one doesn't.

Honestly though I think most people will use alt+tab at this point but both work fine. I also think that the new start screen task switcher should add a small close button in the top right right corner of the preview windows like we get on the taskbar previews so people can close it that way instead of either doing right click - close or a middle mouse click which also work but few will probably figure out on their own.

Well it does not matter. As even if they do drop support for Windows XP like they did with Windows 2000, I am going to carry on using it for the next 10 years or so.As long as my Windows XP netbook is still working then.

And as for Windows 7.Well if they stop supporting that in say 4 years time, I am going to carry on using that for the next 20 or 30 years or so. As I don't see why we should give up using the versions of Windows we love.

End of support just means that we will no longer get updates. But most of the software we have like Firefox,Google Chrome,VLC Player and chat messengers,is not updated by Windows Update anyway.

And we spend ages downloading over 50 updates, sometimes from Windows update. I cannot help wondering if it really does any good anyway. Or if it is just a waste of our time.

Some people are still using Windows 2000 now, even though they don't get updates from Windows. And Windows 2000 is still working.

So it won't be any different for Windows XP and Windows 7.Andrea Borman.

Been reading through this whole thing here and most of it is just plain laughable!!

Love how most of you have been putting Andrea down for wanting older stuff on a new OS. So freaking what! Why do you think it's called a PC? The "P" stands for personal you know, meaning explicitly hers to do with as she pleases!

Of course, with her stating her facts and feelings on a forum of this nature, where there are so many other hard headed idiots on here that simply think that just because your computer is more than 60 days old, it's outdated and junk!!

As far as I'm concerned, you go girl (hate that saying) but I DEFINITELY would advise you to get an external burner and learn how to do backups!! You know that age old saying right, if it ain't broke, break it, then learn how to fix it!!

I had already done a few of the same things you have done with your Windows 8 install.

Been using it as my only OS since CP was released. And everything that I use works, with the exception of most Metro Apps, but I simply don't use them now. iTunes crashes a little more often, but then iTunes has always been crash-happy with me.

Been reading through this whole thing here and most of it is just plain laughable!!

Love how most of you have been putting Andrea down for wanting older stuff on a new OS. So freaking what! Why do you think it's called a PC? The "P" stands for personal you know, meaning explicitly hers to do with as she pleases!

Of course, with her stating her facts and feelings on a forum of this nature, where there are so many other hard headed idiots on here that simply think that just because your computer is more than 60 days old, it's outdated and junk!!

As far as I'm concerned, you go girl (hate that saying) but I DEFINITELY would advise you to get an external burner and learn how to do backups!! You know that age old saying right, if it ain't broke, break it, then learn how to fix it!!

I had already done a few of the same things you have done with your Windows 8 install.

On Windows 8 DP there was no problem disabling the Metro theme. And you could also install Classic Shell to get a Windows XP start menu. To make Windows 8 easier to use if you wanted to stay in the Metro theme. Although it was quite easy to use with the Metro theme.

But with Widows 8 CP you cannot do this. You cannot disable the Metro theme,Classic Shell does not work on CP.And the whole OS on Windows 8 CP is a lot lot harder to use. It is nothing like Windows 8 DP. As you will find out when you use it. And you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. As Windows 8 CP cannot be used.

And I have bought myself and external USB DVD drive. To burn ISO files and boot from CDs.Which I plug into my netbooks. Andrea Borman.

Oh yes,Recact OS. I know about that it is a clone of Windows 2000. And is said to run exactly like Windows,but it is not Windows or Linux based. And unlike Windows it is free to use. I did made a CD of it from the ISO file but it would not install. That is I could not install it or boot from the live CD version of it.

They say react OS is only in the Alpha stage and has been that way for the past 5 years. And they also say it is not very stable. And according to what I have read and the videos I have seen.Some of the drivers may not work. For example even if I could get it to install my network Wifi or webcam may not work.

If it didn't boot it was either not burned properly or you did not select boot from cd in boot options, or netbook doesn't have such option as it has no opical drive nor can boot from external optical perhaps.

I'm considering switching my main OS to Windows 8. I'd like to do a bit more testing before doing it though, I've only played with the Consumer Preview for about 2 hours so far.

If it didn't boot it was either not burned properly or you did not select boot from cd in boot options, or netbook doesn't have such option as it has no opical drive nor can boot from external optical perhaps. "FATILA"

As Windows 8 CP cannot be used. "Andrea"

Netbooks can install from external drive, you just have to select F12, on my netbook, and select boot order and off you go, I had installed Windows 8 on my netbook before I noticed the restriction on resolution, I re-installed Windows 7 on my netbook using my external drive. To say "As Windows 8 CP cannot be used." Andrea is false, it cannot be used properly on a netbook, true, but on my 22" touch screen it is excellent, I am quickly finding my way around it, I can understand why Andrea found her experience on her Netbook horrible, but, I am sure that the netbook with change as time goes on to use Windows 8, but on a larger screen I will continue to use it, having said that, my dear wife will continue for the meantime to use her Windows 7 desktop. Jim

If it didn't boot it was either not burned properly or you did not select boot from cd in boot options, or netbook doesn't have such option as it has no opical drive nor can boot from external optical perhaps. "FATILA"

As Windows 8 CP cannot be used. "Andrea"

Netbooks can install from external drive, you just have to select F12, on my netbook, and select boot order and off you go, I had installed Windows 8 on my netbook before I noticed the restriction on resolution, I re-installed Windows 7 on my netbook using my external drive. To say "As Windows 8 CP cannot be used." Andrea is false, it cannot be used properly on a netbook, true, but on my 22" touch screen it is excellent, I am quickly finding my way around it, I can understand why Andrea found her experience on her Netbook horrible, but, I am sure that the netbook with change as time goes on to use Windows 8, but on a larger screen I will continue to use it, having said that, my dear wife will continue for the meantime to use her Windows 7 desktop. Jim

Yeah I know it can be selected normally, but suspect Andrea does not. Yes a netbook is not a good device to be using as testbed, perhaps Andrea can sell some of her myriad of netbooks and get one real computer ;)

I bought a netbook as a device for a very casual user and they are pretty horrible to use, very weak and useless res. CULV may be a respectable in-between.

On Windows 8 DP there was no problem disabling the Metro theme. And you could also install Classic Shell to get a Windows XP start menu. To make Windows 8 easier to use if you wanted to stay in the Metro theme. Although it was quite easy to use with the Metro theme.

But with Widows 8 CP you cannot do this. You cannot disable the Metro theme,Classic Shell does not work on CP.And the whole OS on Windows 8 CP is a lot lot harder to use. It is nothing like Windows 8 DP. As you will find out when you use it. And you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. As Windows 8 CP cannot be used.

And I have bought myself and external USB DVD drive. To burn ISO files and boot from CDs.Which I plug into my netbooks. Andrea Borman.

The point of downloading a beta OS is to try out it's features and give the OS a run for it's money. If all you're going to do is turn that off, then you're wasting your time. The beta is time=bombed, and you'll have to re-install Windows 7 at some point down the line.

But we've been trying to tell you, you need a better machine than a netbook to try out the OS, the small 1024x600 screen doesn't work with most of the features. Find a better machine and use that. Trust me, you'll have a better experience with it.

And why do you keep telling us we'll hate it and uninstall it? That doesn't seem to be the status quo around here, most are running it bare-bones and loving it.

If it didn't boot it was either not burned properly or you did not select boot from cd in boot options, or netbook doesn't have such option as it has no opical drive nor can boot from external optical perhaps.

The netbooks themselves do not have a CD drive.But I bought a USB external DVD drive. And I plug that into the USB plug sockets of my netbooks and download and burn ISO files onto a DVD.

I reinstalled Windows 7 from my plug in USB DVD drive on my netbook. And I have also installed Zoren OS and Linux Mint 11 from the DVD. You just press esc on start up and you get the boot menu and press F9 key. And then select boot from Cd rom and that is how I do it. So it is working.

On my HP Mini 210 netbooks it's esc to get the boot menu, but other netbooks have different keys you press. On my Acer netbook it is F12. Then you select CD rom or DVD drive.Andrea Borman.

I've been using Windows 8 as my main operating system since 7850 leaked, I used them all except 7927 and 7959. I am happy with the CP and its functionality, I am already used to the fact that the start button is gone and I frankly do not want to turn back.

Bravo Microsoft.

in the Developer Preview the only way to disable anything the start screen or Metro stuff was through the Registry or group policy ... Well guess what that was not a Feature nor a legit way to turn those off as microsoft did not nor does not intent for anyone to do so . for what ever reason you have the worst stupidest luck in the world Andrea or who ever you is cause i dont have a single issue with windows 8 nor does 90% of Neowin only U U and more less U

Besides even if you could trn off the start screen and or Metro stuff guess what.................... You be Breaking windows and causing problems and things would not work right.

And also most versions of Linux have a start menu. But Windows 8 Consumer Preview has got nothing.

And the only difference between Windows 2000,windows XP and windows Vista and Windows 7,is the start menu. And the Aero,transparent theme. But whatever theme you use on Windows Vista and Windows 7,Aero or Windows Classic you WILL ALWAYS have a start menu. On Windows 8 you have got nothing.

And that is why most people cannot use it and the no start menu is one of the reasons. The other is there are a lot of problems in Windows 8 Consumer preview. It gave me a lot of headache. That is why I uninstalled it and went back to Windows 7.

It's now been explained many times that Windows 8 has a "Start screen" rather than a menu. Beyond the UI difference, they work almost identically.

And your post is really very ignorant: because you are apparently incapable of using Windows 8 for w/e reason (it appears you simply refuse to move beyond Win95-era computing), you draw the conclusion that everyone else is stupid and unable to use Windows 8. Right. Makes me wonder if you ever used a computer than ran MS-DOS or Windows 3.x.

And why are you complaining so much about the Consumer Preview not working, anyway? You realize it's a beta, unfinished and bugs and missing features are to be expected, right?

EDIT: The simple fact is that if you want to run Classic Shell and keep your computer looking like Windows 95, then yes, you really cannot move past Windows 7, since many of the old ways of doing things are now dead and buried with Windows 8.

I have Windows 8 CP on my laptop, it's great the audio is muddy though on my realtek hd audio so I'm using my headphones which sound way better than my laptop speakers anyway

I was surprised in what ways it's better than Windows 7

And why are you complaining so much about the Consumer Preview not working, anyway? You realize it's a beta, unfinished and bugs and missing features are to be expected, right?

Try to ignore it... it's what she / it does in every single post made related to Win 8. No requests for support or info... just simple outright complaining and FUD.

I'm running the CP on my work laptop which has touchscreen (Dell Latitude E6420) which is kinda fun. But I don't like the fact that you have to use the mouse to navigate back and forth. The touch interface should mimic or supersede the mouse actions, IMO.

I'm also running it on a desktop and a VMware vm. I like it overall, but still think it should be called "Windows 7 - Touch" or something like that.

I don't beta test any more but I am glad for the many that do. From reading many of the posts in this tread it doesn't sound ready for what I do.

I wanted to be able to give the CP a much longer test drive than I have, but I can't get my wireless network USB adapter to work, nor could I get my sound card working, even after installing drivers I have for both. I'm thinking it is simply a compatibility problem; hopefully it'll be worked out by the Release Candidate. I was really starting to like what I saw with the CP, but it is hard to give it a proper tryout without internet access. :/

Yeah, so far I still don't have right click on my MacBook trackpad (which I blame on Apple), but with a Beta you can always expect driver problems to be what keeps you from using it.

I run it into a Virtual Machine, I'm not mentally prepared (don't have enough nervs for it) for running it as my main OS, mostly because of the Metro UI interface.

I'm running as primary OS at home. The only thing not working properly is Virtual Center for ESXi 5. VC is not able to display the console view of my VMs, so I was going to try VirtualPC and XP mode, but I noticed that was missing in Win 8. I will proably spin up a XP VM on VMWare Workstation 8 and install VC on it so I can at least see my VM consoles until VMWare releases a patch.

I have it installed on my netbook, and it runs just as well as it did Windows 7 Home Premium x64. If Microsoft ever decides to offer the $30 student upgrade for Win. 8, I'll be all over it.