Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

Wat?

IE9 is faster and more standards compliant than IE8. Most rendering issues are because developers use hacks that target IE. In older versions of the browser this would make the page display correctly. However, on IE9 and 10 it can break things. To fix this Microsoft has implemented a compatability view. You just have to click the broken page icon in the address bar and IE9 will render just like IE8 did.

Also, if you hit F12 you can change the "browser mode." Here you can go all the way back to IE 7 for web apps that won't work with newer browsers. IE10 may be able to detect when a page is broken due to browser hacks an automatically switch to IE8 mode.

If you prefer how the earlier versions of IE look then you can right click on the tabs and select "Show tabs on separate row".

On Windows XP I have IE6 and that is always slow and crashes. On Windows 7 I have IE8 and that is no better. The worst version of IE is IE7. All of the IEs look alike except for IE9 and IE10 which looks different but is no better than the others.

Internet Explorer is a terrible browser and you cannot do any serious work like work on your Facebook page or go onto websites without IE crashing or freezing. In fact on Facebook, You Tube and My Space and other social network sites they encourage you to use a browser like Firefox or Google Chrome, rather than Internet Explorer.

And internet Explorer does not get any better on Windows 8. So forget Internet Explorer and use Firefox or Pale Moon or one of the other Firefox clones or Google Chrome. They all work better than Internet Explorer and if you do have to go onto sites that require IE use Green browser or Advanced browser. That are IE engine based but work better than Internet Explorer,of course. Andrea Borman.

Windows Update works wonders.

It does not fix Internet Explorer. The worse web browser is Opera which is actually worse than Internet Explorer. Andrea Borman.

Well if it is not a theme what is it then? I thought an interface is a theme. But as I am running Windows 8 on a 1GB ram netbook.The Metro theme only slows it down and saddles down my operating system. Much better to disable the whole thing and have the Windows 7 start menu and desktop like I have done. Andrea Borman.

Technically a theme is what you describe. But in computing terms, I think people are just used to hearing about themes being add ons.

I can't fathom how someone on a tech site still uses IE6. Or even IE8.

IE10, on the other hand, is pretty decent. They're doing a good job of actually using standards this time around. If you want to worry about a browser re-IEing the internet, you should worry about Chrome.

I can't fathom how someone on a tech site still uses IE6. Or even IE8.

IE10, on the other hand, is pretty decent. They're doing a good job of actually using standards this time around. If you want to worry about a browser re-IEing the internet, you should worry about Chrome.

Well unfortunately Internet Explorer is part of Windows so you cannot uninstall it completely. And although Windows 7 depends less on IE than Windows XP,Windows Vista and Windows 8 does. The IE engine based web browsers like Green browser and Avant browser use the HTML code of whatever version of IE you have installed.

So if you have IE6 installed it will view sites in IE6 mode. And if you have IE7,IE8 or IE9 installed it will view sites in that mode.And also it will have many of the same problems you have with the version of IE you have installed.So if Internet Explorer is not working good,then Green browser and Avant browser won't work good either.Until you fix Internet Explorer.

But on Windows 8 the lowest version you can have is IE10 not even IE9. but the strange thing is when you use Green browser or Avant browser on the browser sniffer sites. They tell you you are using IE8 and so some of IE8's source code must be in Windows 8. But we cannot install or run IE8 on windows 8 or IE9.

Browsers like Green browser and Avant browser are Trident engine browser. That is the same engine used in Internet Explorer and Green browser and others like it are often called Internet Explorer shells.

So even though I don't like Internet Explorer and I never use it unless I really have to. I often wonder if by using Green browser,Avant browser or other browsers like this. Am I really just using Internet Explorer without knowing it? Just like when I use Pale Moon,Safefox or Comet Bird browsers,they are all just alternative versions of Firefox? Andrea Borman.

Followed this and it doesn't quite work, when you attempt to boot into the VHD it launches Startup Repair!

oh, if you want an easier way to add the VHD to the boot screen use EasyBCD (the download link is at the bottom of the page)

see if that helps

oh, if you want an easier way to add the VHD to the boot screen use EasyBCD (the download link is at the bottom of the page)

see if that helps

It's the boot files, you have to use Windows 8's to get it to work I believe (well that's how I got it to work anyhow).

I just purchased a Samsung Series 7 Slate and first thing I did was update the BIOS, scrub the hard drive and install Windows 8 Developer Preview.

So far I am loving the experience. I have not really ran into any major issues but I have noticed a bug every now and again (not a big deal).

Just wondering who uses Windows 8 as their primary OS and what you find to be the best features and most-hated features?

Also, what issues/bugs have you found?

I've been using the Developer Preview for the last couple days in preparation for the Consumer Preview and honestly, the only thing that's been bugging me is that I can't pin portable apps to the start screen (I've realized that it's essentially a replacement for the start menu once wiped and repopulated). Everything else runs perfectly. A couple games wouldn't run, but I installed the Windows 7 version of my graphics card driver and suddenly everything was back on track. Windows 8 runs nearly everything faster, using less memory and causing far less of a performance impedance.

It's the boot files, you have to use Windows 8's to get it to work I believe (well that's how I got it to work anyhow).

I've done it through Windows 7 just fine

create vhd file, take install.wim from the windows 8 iso, mount vhd file and use imagex to install the install.wim to the vhd, add vhd file to boot menu and reboot

I've done it through Windows 7 just fine

create vhd file, take install.wim from the windows 8 iso, mount vhd file and use imagex to install the install.wim to the vhd, add vhd file to boot menu and reboot

ok, think i may have done it wrong, will try again and thanks

Much better to disable the whole thing and have the Windows 7 start menu and desktop like I have done. Andrea Borman.

Then there is no point in taking the time to download and install *BETA* software if all you're going to do is that. Might as well as re-install Windows 7.

The point of running beta software is to see what's coming down the pipes, not revert back to last year's OS.

Then there is no point in taking the time to download and install *BETA* software if all you're going to do is that. Might as well as re-install Windows 7.

The point of running beta software is to see what's coming down the pipes, not revert back to last year's OS.

By *beta* you mean *pre-beta release for devs only*, right? ;)

By *beta* you mean *pre-beta release for devs only*, right? ;)

I guess you can say both. Most likely people will still bitch when the beta is released to the public. If all you're going to do is spend time trying to turn it back into a previous OS, then there is no point in installing the OS.

Ok, so I've created a 50 GB VHD in Windows 7 which is ready to install the consumer preview. Instead of re-downloading the DP I'll just wait for the release of the CP. So, when that arrives do I just install it normally on to the VHD as if it was a separate partition, do I need any other software to make it work?

Thanks.

Installed it last week but the startscreen is useless to me because my netbook resolution is too low so I'm always in desktop mode, pretty much like using windows 7. Its slower in some aspects than 7 and faster in others. Love the lock screen, boot time, and resume on sleep times other than that, I don't have much to say.

How do you know all of this? It has not been confirmed by Microsoft that we won't be able to have the Windows 7 Start menu in the final version of Windows 8.

The start screen effectively functions in the same manner as the start menu. It functions as a larger, more organized version of the start menu.

Start%20Menu.png?w=166d3f5f

Ok, so I've created a 50 GB VHD in Windows 7 which is ready to install the consumer preview. Instead of re-downloading the DP I'll just wait for the release of the CP. So, when that arrives do I just install it normally on to the VHD as if it was a separate partition, do I need any other software to make it work?

Thanks.

No, just follow the video on the link and you should be fine. I got the DP working last night :D

Thanks to Brando for the help :D

My recently created VHD (which is empty at the moment) keeps unattaching itself after I restart my computer, is this normal?

Yes, it is. Win 7 wont automatically mount a vhd at startup. There are solutions to this, like creating a startup file or creating a task and assigning it to run at startup, http://angler.wordpress.com/2010/03/11/windows-7-auto-mount-vhds-at-startup/. Search and find which works best for you.

No, just follow the video on the link and you should be fine. I got the DP working last night :D

Thanks to Brando for the help :D

no problem

there used to be a lot better tutorials out there that told how to create the VHD file in diskmanager then install windows 7 on it with ImageX but I can't seem to find any of them right now. so i settled for posting that vid