Who uses Windows 8 as primary OS?

Well I installed Windows 8 Consumer preview last night. And to my shock and horror,you cannot disabled the Metro theme at all. And not only the that Windows 8 CP is nothing like Windows 8 DP. I could not even pin shortcuts to my desktop due to a problem with the ribbon in Windows Explorer. That froze my mouse and would not let me right click to send to desktop.

I tried every trick in the book to get a start menu nothing worked. Classic Shell the third party program that gives you a Classic,a Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu,does nothing. But Classic Shell worked in Windows 8 DP both with and without the Metro theme.

But not in Consumer Preview. And Metro Controller and other software to disable the Metro theme does not work in Windows 8 CP. And I tried to create my own registry key-REP enabled to disable Metro as you could in Windows 8 DP. But that did not work either.

On Windows 8 DP you could use it with or without the Metro theme. And even with the Metro theme Windows 8 DP was quite usable.But Windows 8 CP is completely different.I could not use it at all and the whole OS gave me a lot of headache.

If you don't believe me,try Windows 8 Consumer preview for yourself. And you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And what Microsoft have done by taking away our right to a start menu is a violation of human rights. And so now we should have those street marches and street protests against this. And how they want to make Windows 8. And we should write a letter to our President. or Prime Minister. And go to the European Court Of Human Rights against Microsoft's plans to deny use Windows users a right to have a start menu. And force use to use Window 8s Consumer Preview. Which is an operating system we cannot use. Andrea Borman.

Oh Andrea.

Oh dear oh dear. Firstly, everyone told you that the Consumer Preview would not include the ability to disable Metro.

Secondly, Metro is not a theme, it is an interface. Again, many people told you this many times.

Thirdly, human rights violation for removing the start button? That is the silliest thing I have ever read on the internet. Literally. Besides, it's not gone - just press the Windows key and, hey look! The entire screen is the start menu!

Windows 8 is in fact the Operating System that a person can use on all of their devices, Desktop, laptop, tablet, phone (when they come out). But please, carry one with your posts, they are very entertaining.

• Like 2

Oh Andrea.

Oh dear oh dear. Firstly, everyone told you that the Consumer Preview would not include the ability to disable Metro.

Secondly, Metro is not a theme, it is an interface. Again, many people told you this many times.

Thirdly, human rights violation for removing the start button? That is the silliest thing I have ever read on the internet. Literally. Besides, it's not gone - just press the Windows key and, hey look! The entire screen is the start menu!

Windows 8 is in fact the Operating System that a person can use on all of their devices, Desktop, laptop, tablet, phone (when they come out).

Hahaha, couldn't agree any more :)

I can't say I condone RC/Beta/Preview as a primary OS however as of last night, I now have better driver stability for Nvidia Optimus under Windows 8 x64 CP than I have ever had thus far under Windows 7 Ultimate x64...

If the Intel driver update via Windows Update an hour ago fixes any lingering Centrino Bluetooth 3.0 pairing issues then I will be sticking with this until retail.

Not primary - didn't want to risk it, but it is dual booting with windows 7. Since I installed it on the 29th I haven't booted into win7 though and have installed most of the programs that I run on win 7 with no problems.

The new start screen and metro apps took a bit of getting used to, but since I organised the start screen it some how actually feels better than win7 :o

Oh Andrea.

Windows 8 is in fact the Operating System that a person can use on all of their devices, Desktop, laptop, tablet, phone (when they come out). But please, carry one with your posts, they are very entertaining.

Have you tried Windows 8 Consumer Preview? If you did you will see it is not a joke. You really cannot use that operating system.

And if Microsoft do what they did with windows XP and Windows Vista.and they stop selling Windows 7 and we are forced to buy this version of Windows 8. We will be in big trouble.

Because not only will we be stuck with an operating system we cannot use. But Microsoft are planning to put secure boot on new computers. Meaning that not only will we not be able to install Linux,which is a way out for some people. But we won't even be able to install Windows 7 or Windows XP on new computers.

Now do you the problem? Andrea Borman.

Have you tried Windows 8 Consumer Preview? If you did you will see it is not a joke. You really cannot use that operating system. Andrea Borman.

Oh, yes, I can. Already using it as my only OS. Everything is better than 7.

Have you tried Windows 8 Consumer Preview? If you did you will see it is not a joke. You really cannot use that operating system. Andrea Borman.

Maybe you can't, but the rest of the world can.

I am using it on my laptop, which is my second computer. I installed it on the 29th, and since then I have managed to install every program that was running on Windows 7, I have organised my start screen, made a new Microsoft account, connected my twitter and gmail to the Metro Apps, consolidated my partitions in disk management, set up my language and regional settings so that everything displays in English but accepts Swiss German input and so far, the only problem I've had is that the four corners thing for the mouse messes with Mouse Without Borders.

Oh, and I made a custom keyboard layout to cater for my Swiss German keyboard that is still QWERTY rather than QWERTZ, but that won't seem to install in Windows 8, for some reason, despite it being listed.

With regards to it "not being usable by anyone" I strongly disagree. All in all, it probably took me less than two hours to get to grips with the new start screen and account options. I love that I can sign in on my desktop and have the Metro layout synced pretty much instantly. Skydrive integration is already brilliant although I suggest it's not finished yet either.

So yea, you rally can use that operating system. At the very least you can spend all your time in the desktop mode and just press the windows key and type like you would in the start menu anyway. Oh wait, I forget, you were still using the less functional, less powerful and less efficient old fashioned start menu from Windows XP!

Since installing it on my laptop, I have not needed to boot into Windows 7 to fix anything, use a program or just because I was annoyed by something. Learning how to use new software is fun, not an evil task sent forth by the Devil.

I think we should write a letter to our President or Prime minister on the following lines-

Dear President/Prime Minister,(President or Prime Ministers name) I understand that Microsoft are going to bring out Windows 8 and it is already out in developers preview. And I understand that Microsoft are not going to make Windows 8 like the other versions of Windows,7,Vista and XP. And I am writing to ask you to do something to prevent Microsoft bringing out this Windows 8.

And I have tried Windows 8 Consumer preview and it cannot be used. There is no start menu.

As you may have seen on the Internet,Windows 8 is going to be made like an I Pad or Mac desktop but something much more complicated than both.As a result myself and other Windows users and also my office workers will no longer be able to use a computer. As I and my employees and family and friends and even more experienced computer users,only know how to use a Windows with a normal desktop and Windows start menu,not the tiled theme,that Microsoft have called the Metro theme. And a different operating system completely.

I understand also that if Microsoft brings out Windows 8 on sale that retailers will stop selling Windows 7 as they already stopped selling Windows Vista and Windows XP against the public's wishes.And that if this happens I and other home and office computer users will be forced to buy and use Windows 8. Which I,my family,friends and employees will not be able to use due to the complicated operating system and different and difficult to meet hardware requirements.

Therefore Windows 8 will have a devastating effect on myself,my family and friends and other office companies if Microsoft bring out this operating system. As it will mean I,and other people and other company offices will no longer be able to use a computer.And businesses will suffer as a result of this operating system,Windows 8.As most businesses and companies depend on being able to use the computer and computers.Which nobody will be able to use if Windows 7 is stopped replaced with Windows 8.

Please could you take action to stop Microsoft getting rid Windows 7 and other versions of Windows and replacing it with Windows 8.Yours Sincerely- Andrea Borman."

So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

I think we should write a letter to our President or Prime minister on the following lines-

So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE. Andrea Borman.

I think the issue of the reasons you cant use it is because of User Fault or Error cause i just installed it on 5 system my main system my f riend gene has 3 system old P4 2 new system quad core and Tri-core and installed windows 8 on all 3 of them + mine without a damn single 0 issues

also installed it on my moms quad core system i built her for christmas not a a damn single issue and she is not the best when it coems to using a computer yet she figured everythign out within hours of using it and loves it so just quit gabbing to us about User Error and issues . Thank you .

I am using Windows 8 Consumer Preview on my main desktop, I got to grips with it over the past two days, I have it set up just the way I want, I even installed Microsoft Links 2003 golf game, this game is ten years old, it installed and plays better than before, I do have a touch screen, but still use my mouse as and when needed, and I am the wrong side of sixty, I will be buying it when it comes out, in the mean time I continue to grow into this operating system. Jim

I think we can finally confirm for good that the Andrea Borman account is in fact, just there to troll.

At first I thought it was really a disgruntled and confused elderly person, but now I'm convinced it's a really quite brilliant troll.

Btw, you can't send that letter to the Prime Minister, it doesn't have proper punctuation. You need spaces after full stops.

Using Windows 8 CP as my full time machine. No issues and everything work (so far). The start button doesn't concern me, Turns out i have a Windows Key on my Keyboard i can use.

Well I installed Windows 8 Consumer preview last night. And to my shock and horror,you cannot disabled the Metro theme at all. And not only the that Windows 8 CP is nothing like Windows 8 DP. I could not even pin shortcuts to my desktop due to a problem with the ribbon in Windows Explorer. That froze my mouse and would not let me right click to send to desktop.

I tried every trick in the book to get a start menu nothing worked. Classic Shell the third party program that gives you a Classic,a Windows XP and Windows 7 start menu,does nothing. But Classic Shell worked in Windows 8 DP both with and without the Metro theme.

But not in Consumer Preview. And Metro Controller and other software to disable the Metro theme does not work in Windows 8 CP. And I tried to create my own registry key-REP enabled to disable Metro as you could in Windows 8 DP. But that did not work either.

On Windows 8 DP you could use it with or without the Metro theme. And even with the Metro theme Windows 8 DP was quite usable.But Windows 8 CP is completely different.I could not use it at all and the whole OS gave me a lot of headache.

If you don't believe me,try Windows 8 Consumer preview for yourself. And you will uninstall it like I did and go back to Windows 7. So Windows 8 Consumer Preview is-THE OPERATING SYSTEM THAT NOBODY CAN USE.

And what Microsoft have done by taking away our right to a start menu is a violation of human rights. And so now we should have those street marches and street protests against this. And how they want to make Windows 8. And we should write a letter to our President. or Prime Minister. And go to the European Court Of Human Rights against Microsoft's plans to deny use Windows users a right to have a start menu. And force use to use Window 8s Consumer Preview. Which is an operating system we cannot use. Andrea Borman.

I've been using the CP for the past three days with little issue.

Also, all those "hacks" used in the DP won't work because the Start Menu is gone - literally. The code for it isn't there anymore.

And are you serious with the human rights issue? This is no different than Microsoft switching out the Program Manager from Windows for Workgroups 3.1 to the Start Menu in Windows 95.

Because not only will we be stuck with an operating system we cannot use. But Microsoft are planning to put secure boot on new computers. Meaning that not only will we not be able to install Linux,which is a way out for some people. But we won't even be able to install Windows 7 or Windows XP on new computers.

FALSE. Secured boot will have a switch to be disabled on desktop PC's. A normal, Windows 8 desktop machine will be able to boot any OS you want on it. Quit the FUD. (As a side note, any PC shipping with UEFI instead of BIOS will not be able to run Windows XP, PERIOD.)

I think the issue of the reasons you cant use it is because of User Fault or Error cause i just installed it on 5 system my main system my f riend gene has 3 system old P4 2 new system quad core and Tri-core and installed windows 8 on all 3 of them + mine without a damn single 0 issues

also installed it on my moms quad core system i built her for christmas not a a damn single issue and she is not the best when it coems to using a computer yet she figured everythign out within hours of using it and loves it so just quit gabbing to us about User Error and issues . Thank you .

No I don't think it is anything to do with User account error,as I had an Administrator account.But the highest my screen resolution will go is 1024 by 600 pixels. It is the same with all my netbooks and I did get a message saying the metro apps could not start because of this. But all of the software I installed myself worked. But the problem was that I had no start menu. I could not shut down my computer either as i could not find the power button without the start menu.

Not having the start orb was not the problem.As when I slid my mouse on the left hand side where the start orb used to be I got the Metro start screen.

But I could not pin many shortcuts to my desktop as the ribbon toolbar in Windows Explorer kept freezing my mouse. And I could not right click to send to desktop. also without the start menu,I had to access most things including control panel items in Windows Explorer.

Dot Matrix wrote-

FALSE. Secured boot will have a switch to be disabled on desktop PC's. A normal, Windows 8 desktop machine will be able to boot any OS you want on it. Quit the FUD. (As a side note, any PC shipping with UEFI instead of BIOS will not be able to run Windows XP,PERIOD.)

Well does this apply to laptops and netbooks as well? At the moment when you buy a laptop or netbook,it has Windows 7. but if you want to replace Windows with Linux or another version of Windows,Windows XP or windows Vista or another operating system,you can do. If you have a netbook with no CD drive like I have got,you can use a plug in USB DVD drive to do this.

But what will happen with Windows 8 netbooks? If I bought a Windows 8 netbook,would I be able to disable secure boot and install Windows 7 or Linux if I wanted to? Andrea Borman.

I'm using it as my main OS at the moment, with Snow Leopard as a backup (not even Windows 7/Server 2008 R2). Since getting the drivers updated I haven't had any overheating issues and no crashes, so it should work fine.

Well does this apply to laptops and netbooks as well? At the moment when you buy a laptop or netbook,it has Windows 7. but if you want to replace Windows with Linux or another version of Windows,Windows XP or windows Vista or another operating system,you can do. If you have a netbook with no CD drive like I have got,you can use a plug in USB DVD drive to do this.

But what will happen with Windows 8 netbooks? If I bought a Windows 8 netbook,would I be able to disable secure boot and install Windows 7 or Linux if I wanted to? Andrea Borman.

Notebook, netbook, and desktop PCs should all have the option to disable secured boot and format another OS. HOWEVER, Like I said, if the PC comes with UEFI firmware instead of BIOS, the PC will NOT be able to run Windows XP.

Windows 8 tablets (WoA) WILL NOT be able to disable secured boot.

I've been using it for two days now on my office/productivity machine. No show-stopper issues so far, though I find that most of the Metro apps are simply not feature-complete enough to replace the desktop versions.

Started Windows 8 from scratch as a replacement on my primary PC. Everything worked out from the first run. No drivers needed. I don't even wanna look back to windows 7, unless I have to.

Installed clean on one PC, upgraded from Windows 7 on my laptop. The upgraded one had a few problems with my live account, and it also won't let me get a developer license so I can't test my applications on it right now @__@.

But I do love the fact that it takes my laptop feel a whole lot faster than it did with 7. Everything's just more responsive and seems to glide along quite nicely, and the start up times are much better.

Now if only this Visual Studio 11 BETA didn't freakin' lock up on me every half hour, and the Blend Preview wasn't half broken I'd be happy. Definitely seeing no reason to go back to 7 here, especially seeing as it'll just make my computers feel slower again anyway :p

Notebook, netbook, and desktop PCs should all have the option to disable secured boot and format another OS. HOWEVER, Like I said, if the PC comes with UEFI firmware instead of BIOS, the PC will NOT be able to run Windows XP.

Windows 8 tablets (WoA) WILL NOT be able to disable secured boot.

But cannot install Windows XP anyway,as I don't have a Windows XP CD. My 2 Windows XP netbooks came with Windows XP and I can reinstall my system using system recovery. But I do have Windows 7 CDs. But the question is would I be able to install Windows 7 on a new laptop if it comes with Windows 8? Which is what I would want to do.

I have posted here on the Windows 8 forums about the problems I had with Windows 8 Consumer preview is.Here-http://windows8forum...download-2.html

And a lot of people on that forum,like me prefer the Windows 7 start menu. So I am not the only one who does not like the Metro theme.Andrea Borman.

But cannot install Windows XP anyway,as I don't have a Windows XP CD. My 2 Windows XP netbooks came with Windows XP and I can reinstall my system using system recovery. But I do have Windows 7 CDs. But the question is would I be able to install Windows 7 on a new laptop if it comes with Windows 8? Which is what I would want to do.

I have posted here on the Windows 8 forums about the problems I had with Windows 8 Consumer preview is.Here-http://windows8forum...download-2.html

And a lot of people on that forum,like me prefer the Windows 7 start menu. So I am not the only one who does not like the Metro theme.Andrea Borman.

Hey get it through your Skull Metro is not a theme is is Part of windows at its core it is the new start menu and everything you could do in the start menu you can do in the start screen. Simple as that