Windows 8 8220 x64 Screens Leaked :D

""I thought maybe i'd switch to a traditional desktop os once windows 8 came out, but meh i figure windows 7 will be good for awhile, at least until windows 9. Microsoft will realize the stupidity of windows 8, and come back to their senses by then. ""

You mean kind of like what they did with Vista?

Either way, agreeing with a ton of other people's posts, enough with the leaked screenshots. We need a leaked ISO so we can see if we can turn all this CRAP off, and turn on all of the functionality that will make it act and run like Windows 7. There are too many older users that don't want the learning curve, and too many younger users that don't want it different than windows 7. If we wanted a mac, we'd buy one (or the majority of us on here, would run a hackintosh), if we wanted to run a foreign looking OS, we'd put up a dart board with random linux variants. Microsoft, seriously, head out of ass now.

YOU might not have need for Metro on the traditional PC. Sadly enough YOU are not the target audience for MS.

They are making the PC easier to use for the masses.

For the people who call themself power users of people who do development, there is still our good old desktop.

You might be surprised how much time you will spend in the Metro environment once you actually can access useful Metro Apps

Yes, Microsoft target are people using iPad2, iPhone4 and Android and i can tell you right away that they wont gain those people risking Desktop market share at the same time.

I don't see why would i access Metro any time in the future and what useful Metro app would be? To tell me what is temperature or things like that? I use my phone to check those things. Unfortunately for MS they mixed Apples and Oranges

No because Desktop is my main interface not Metro to start with. Metro is interface i don't need to interact with my PC. That is whole issue. The roles are somehow reversed. Once being reversed Metro is nothing but a way to break my work flow within Desktop and i can't deal with it. I completely understand MS need for Metro and it is great way to interact phone, tablet with end user but for God sake we don't need it on traditional PC.

Apart from the interface what in particular about the desktop is missing for your usage? In my use, my desktop is full of shortcuts, some I dont use as much but still keep and the overall effect is very cluttered. I see being able to group them on the Metro start screen as better for organisation. How does the start screen fail to meet your requirements?

Edit: no need to respond, read your recent comments.

Your real *interface*, if you can call it that, is the Start menu and all those additions post-XP. You've gotten used to those items being right under your mousewheel at all times - even though those same shortcuts are, in fact, duplicated elsewhere - even in Windows 7. That Start menu you're so proud of duplicates functionality found elsewhere in Windows (especially Control Panel). Here's a rather telling point - just about *all* those additions to the Start menu came with the much-despised Windows Vista - not XP or even 7.

Because I don't use a lot of those shortcuts that used to be in the Start menu (which has shrunk down to the XP/2000 format that it used to have), things are actually back to where they were in XP, if not earlier. Immersive is quite minimalist - the desktop itself reminds me more of Windows 95/NT4 than 7 - let alone Vista, or even XP.

That's what Metro/Immersive really is for those of us with traditional hardware - a return to the roots of Windows.

My real interface is Desktop and Taskbar in combination with Start Menu. I don't see any duplications and shortcuts are just quick access to something. Of course programs and games are being installed and Start Menu grows which gives it even more meaning. For example Steam which is interface for itself works well with traditional desktop. Why the **** i need Metro as third wheel there? I just want to stay within Desktop, don't need Metro interfering with it. It is a reason i never used Media Center because it is WTF interface which has nothing to do with anything else in Windows and it is complete transition of mind set.

Yes, Microsoft target are people using iPad2, iPhone4 and Android and i can tell you right away that they wont gain those people risking Desktop market share at the same time.

I don't see why would i access Metro any time in the future and what useful Metro app would be? To tell me what is temperature or things like that? I use my phone to check those things. Unfortunately for MS they mixed Apples and Oranges

They are not only targeting the people using Tablets right now.

All these people using windows right now like your mum and dad, don't you think it's going to be much easier for them using Windows?

There might be a small learning curve but after that it will be so much easier for the common people.

Also once the app store is open and you can buy an app once and load it on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.

How cool will that be, same interface everywhere.

Don't confuse Metro apps with widgets, these apps will be powerful apps just like we know now on the desktop.

You might want to compare the tile of your Metro app with a widget.

well to reformat and re-install windows it takes me 1-2 hours for the base install and config and another 3 for all my programs... specially photoshop takes forrreeeevveeerrrrr... LOL....

Apart from the interface what in particular about the desktop is missing for your usage? In my use, my desktop is full of shortcuts, some I dont use as much but still keep and the overall effect is very cluttered. I see being able to group them on the Metro start screen as better for organisation. How does the start screen fail to meet your requirements?

I never found myself in position to fill desktop with shortcuts, but rather in combination with Taskbar and Start Menu is organized in such way that is kick ass productive.

They are not only targeting the people using Tablets right now.

All these people using windows right now like your mum and dad, don't you think it's going to be much easier for them using Windows?

There might be a small learning curve but after that it will be so much easier for the common people.

Also once the app store is open and you can buy an app once and load it on your phone, tablet, laptop and desktop.

How cool will that be, same interface everywhere.

Don't confuse Metro apps with widgets, these apps will be powerful apps just like we know now on the desktop.

You might want to compare the tile of your Metro app with a widget.

Moms and Pops are using iPhone4S and iPad. Just because Windows is sitting in their room doesn't mean they are using it. i do lot of work and lot of family don't even bother with PC. My uncles is constantly on iPhone4S while his PC is collecting a dust.

I go to newegg.com or steam to buy hardware or apps. We don't need same interface everywhere, who says we need it? You can't sacrifice whole platform just because you want to make it look same across all of them. Apps for mobile have nothing to do with apps for desktops, like i am gonna run Dreamviewer on my phone. The last thing i would trust is some store using Tiles to buy software, Dear God...no thanks. MS will make UI to be same on Phone and Desktop failing at the same time very basic need for syncing between two platforms and that's to sync my videos and pictures from anywhere to my home PC, not requiring to be connected to PC via USB cable. MS fails on very basic level, functionality.

I always hoped MS will follow example of Steam as concept for any future App store but that wont happen, unfortunately. Steam beats XBOX Metro like interface by mile, and how popular and good app is that speak revenue made just for past year.

Rather than sharing same interface among all platforms focus should be on sharing some common functionality and making it work together better.

At the end the last statistics representing number of XP machines vs Windows Vista vs 7 even shocking for some are not surprising to me. Explanation is very simply:

1. People don't care about Windows and they are not investing more money. iPhone, iPad, Android took its place

2. Windows 7 let alone Windows 8 do not give enough reasons for one Insurance Office to run their apps on it (example)

3. Price MS is asking for every new release

4. With Windows 8 release Windows 7 will decline and it will be quite humorous when we realize that XP is still dominant right before Windows 9 comes out.

Conclusion: MS is doing something wrong.

I believe Windows 8 will be more productive than Windows 7. Some people are arguing that it will be quicker to launch applications in Windows 7 but Windows 8 might reduce the number of applications you need to launch.

Windows 7:

- Launch Outlook, Chrome, etc.

- Check for new emails/facebook updates, etc.

- Close Outlook, Chrome, etc.

Windows 8:

- Glance at start screen live tiles and see that there are no new emails or facebook updates, eliminating the need to launch those applications at all

whats up with those gradients in metro start screen?

man :( thats just sad.

i knew we had those in DP aswell but i thought they were gonna get rid of it all. They talked alot about how gradients are going out.

I think MS should think about making major changes and releasing another beta after this one.

i wont mind them releasing Win8 for ARM. but the need to fix the desktop crap before they release it.

I believe Windows 8 will be more productive than Windows 7. Some people are arguing that it will be quicker to launch applications in Windows 7 but Windows 8 might reduce the number of applications you need to launch.

Windows 7:

- Launch Outlook, Chrome, etc.

- Check for new emails/facebook updates, etc.

- Close Outlook, Chrome, etc.

Windows 8:

- Glance at start screen live tiles and see that there are no new emails or facebook updates, eliminating the need to launch those applications at all

Why should i even get up from couch in Living room when i can do this on my phone? And yes Metro is perfect for Phone. This is where people are mixing apples and oranges, trying to apply mobile world to desktop.

well I use stardock fences for the icon arragement and rainmeter for the system info at a glance. I quite like my setup.

One thing I don't like about Windows 8 so far is that it still looks and feels different to Windows Phone, all the tiles look different, animations are different, fonts are different, it just looks like a poor imitation.

Microsoft not providing a consistent interface experience, there's a shocker!

:shifty:

• Like 2

Why should i even get up from couch in Living room when i can do this on my phone? And yes Metro is perfect for Phone. This is where people are mixing apples and oranges, trying to apply mobile world to desktop.

I'm pretty sure the big players (Microsoft, Apple, Google) are eventually going to "phase-out" the traditional desktop, they are just laying the groundwork for that now.

""I thought maybe i'd switch to a traditional desktop os once windows 8 came out, but meh i figure windows 7 will be good for awhile, at least until windows 9. Microsoft will realize the stupidity of windows 8, and come back to their senses by then. ""

You mean kind of like what they did with Vista?

Either way, agreeing with a ton of other people's posts, enough with the leaked screenshots. We need a leaked ISO so we can see if we can turn all this CRAP off, and turn on all of the functionality that will make it act and run like Windows 7. There are too many older users that don't want the learning curve, and too many younger users that don't want it different than windows 7. If we wanted a mac, we'd buy one (or the majority of us on here, would run a hackintosh), if we wanted to run a foreign looking OS, we'd put up a dart board with random linux variants. Microsoft, seriously, head out of ass now.

Actually, it's far from foreign-looking. This is, believe it or not, largely what pre-XP Windows was like (especially 9x/NT) - clean and largely minimalist. What's missing is all the post-XP Start menu-based clutter.

I got rather forcibly reminded of that when I created a Windows 2000 Professional VM. Other than the design language for the UI (MDL vs. GDI) the Immersive UI *is* the *Classic Windows* (2000/XP/Vista) UI. (You might have heard of it - the alternative to the default UI in XP and Vista (which was, in fact, banished in Windows 7 with no alternative but the default Vista-style UI + additions)?)

Either we have a LOT of closet post-XP users on here (since, for some reason, the default Vista/7 UI is getting lots of love lately) or we have folks that are so used to the Windows 7 UI that they refuse to move from it (even IF it has its roots in the much-despised Vista).

Seriously - if you don't believe me, create a virtual machine using Windows 2000 or earlier, and compare the UI to that of the WDP.

Thank you, Anaron!

Most of the detraction has come from folks that have gone entirely by screenshots (posted here and elsewhere) seen the resemblance to Windows Phone and run away screaming in fear.

I had most of the *same* concerns they have voiced - however, I reserved judgement until actually trying the WDP for myself.

I was surprised - in fact, quite shocked - to discover that my concerns about compatibility and productivity-loss (even with existing applications and existing non-touch-capable hardware) were completely overblown.

If anything, the desktop is MORE minimalist than Windows has been since the 95/NT4 era.

And that is - from what I've heard from the detractors via their comments - the real issue.

They like all the additions to the Start menu (almost all of which came since XP - either from Vista or 7) and got used to them being under their mouse wheel.

Since I don't use a lot of those same shortcuts (I don't use the Superbar at all any more), to me those same Start menu items (all of which are duplicated elsewhere, even in 7) have become so much clutter.

I loathe clutter - I did, in fact, move to a wireless USB keyboard and mouse to cut down on it with my desktop. (My desktop retains a wired connection because it connects to my router - and a wired connection remains the standard for router administration and firmware updates/replacement, The midtower case itself can be moved to my 42" FPTV in the bedroom (and I have a wireless, and USB, dongle for non-admin connectivity) - so the wires *can* be cut to a large extent, even on desktops. (That is also why I suggested something like Fences for the StartScreen - to address the StartScreen clutter issue.)

You're welcome. :) It's easy to judge a book by its cover. When I first saw the Start screen, I thought it looked really bad. I also thought it wouldn't work well with traditional mouse and keyboard input. Fortunately, I came to realize that change isn't always a bad thing. I look forward to playing with the consumer preview.

You're welcome. :) It's easy to judge a book by its cover. When I first saw the Start screen, I thought it looked really bad. I also thought it wouldn't work well with traditional mouse and keyboard input. Fortunately, I came to realize that change isn't always a bad thing. I look forward to playing with the consumer preview.

reading these threads each time there is a new windows release is always amusing, its the same comments each release. With every release I realize how "perfect" the last version of Windows is. Thats where a lot of users I think get caught up. Windows 7 is pretty much perfect, I can think of very little that would be needed to improve it, and thats the problem. We get so caught it with what we have and how we use that product that its hard to accept something new. With Windows 7 Microsoft pretty much perfected the traditional desktop environment. Windows 8 is a great entry for Microsoft into the Touch environment, and I applaud Microsoft for embracing the future of computing while at least retaining the traditional environment.

I'm pretty sure the big players (Microsoft, Apple, Google) are eventually going to "phase-out" the traditional desktop, they are just laying the groundwork for that now.

Desktop wont be phased out because Smart Phone will never be as powerful as Desktop PC however PC might be only for certain people.

Yet I never heard any complaints when people simply post "I love Metro". We have a word for that: Hypocrisy. I agree with you though, if you're posting an opinion about something you should be able to explain why you feel a certain way.

LOL of course not. Some people around here are though.

That doesn't help, they'll just say, "that's what you always say, stop repeating the same thing."

Of course they're going to repeat it! that's WHY they don't like it.

It's ugly, however im sure there's a lot more that needs to be added?

i don't think much will be changed as far as UI is concerned... Metro will look same even in Final... ;)

we will see more and more tablets in coming years, however traditional desktops wont be fully replaced...

i have yet to see a feature in Windows 8 that would convince me to upgrade from 7. can anyone tell me a new and exciting feature?

I agree with you.. Looks like windows 7 is my "2000" lol