Windows 8 Consumer Preview Discussion

500 mb to go, hopefully I can install this on a USB HDD, but looking at the comments it's quite hilarious, if this goes on I think Windows 8 will be the "new" MSDOS era, when one had to do everything with the command promt :D (I used it so.... it's not too bad at all but I'm sooo gonna automate that)

Negative :( Just "Second screen" in there, too.

EDIT: Other devices eventually showed up in IE. That's a start! Not sure why they didn't show the first 5 times after you posted to try it in IE.

Hmm, I'll watch for that. "Preview" and all :-)

Will these apps get updated during the CP, or is this it? I can deal with most everything, except not printing. No POP3 is kind of disappointing.

Sorry, I can't answer that (both because it's not my area, and because I actually don't know). The official blogs are the best place to look for any discussion or updates on that.

Anybody tried this on bootcamp yet? I installed it on my MBP (snow leopard) but the bootcamp installer refused to run (typical apple :/ ). I ran the driver installers one by one but still can't get the trackpad to right click.

Finding the shutdown thing is a chore. It isn't intuitive I spent several minutes trying to find the shutdown thing and eventually I found it nested in a Settings menu inside the Metro interface under Logoff.

It's like Microsoft doesn't want us shutting our computers off any more. That is smart for Tablets that are expected to be always on (like the iPad) but stupid for a Desktop computer.

It's kind of true but on the other hand it's not much of a problem for me as all my systems haven't shut down in months (restarted yes, shut down no)

Why do people get fixated on metro apps not being the same as desktop apps so much? They're not suppose to be the same, that's why they have their own UI anyways.

I would guess this is partly because it seems Microsoft is concentrating on (full-screen) Metro apps only? If you want to use the included PDF reader for example, (full-screen) Metro appears to be the only option?!

Some "Pieces of UI" (can't think of a better term than that) once dismissed seem impossible to get back e.g. a Download in IE, the Accounts pane in Mail or the Add account pane in People.

To manage your accounts in apps like that, open the Settings charm and then click Accounts.

I would guess this is partly because it seems Microsoft is concentrating on (full-screen) Metro apps only? If you want to use the included PDF reader for example, (full-screen) Metro appears to be the only option?!

I have the Reader snapped to the right of desktop IE10 right now. (Traditional desktop, complete with keyboard and mouse - no touch.)

Where should I FedEx that crow sandwich?

Why should we have to lose screen real-estate, what was wrong with just having a window on the desktop?

I don't get fullscreen apps and apps snapped to 1/3rd of the screen on a desktop.

I managed to crash metro :p

lol?

the people app is so so ****ty!! I cant even filter my feeds.

I guess the apps are like prealpha or something.

At least you got it installed :p

Also this is Neowin, full of nerds and hardcore Windows fans who would defend it to their dying breath. If its doing that badly here I'm sure it is safe to say that the general public is not going to care for it at all. I believe this is going to be Microsoft's biggest flop since MS Bob.

Actually this is the typical place and the exact people who are opposed to any change to the way they do things and violently resist learning new ways of doing things. The average consumer has adapted to ipads, androids, playbooks so I doubt they are going to somehow not adapt to Windows 8.

I'm gonna cook some popcorn :shifty:

What a strange thing to do. I personally pop popcorn and then eat it. If you want to cook it after you pop it though, to each their own I suppose.

Can't get this to upgrade in my VMWare Fusion Windows 7 VM. I can crate a new Win8 but not an upgrade from Windows 7 pro. It restarts a few times, and then eventually it just goes to the blue install background and stops.

I have the Reader snapped to the right of desktop IE10 right now. (Traditional desktop, complete with keyboard and mouse - no touch.)

I'm just not sure how flexible that solution is really going to be. And of course, for whatever reason, I'm somehow unable to snap Metro apps to the side. I can drag the miniature preview along the top and also off to the bottom, but it won't snap to the side of the desktop. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. :/

Installed it on my MBP. The first thing I've noticed is how polished it is compared to the DP.

The only problem I have is that the brightness keeps resetting. I know its probably a driver issues as i'm using Windows 7 drivers. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to correct it?

Installed it on my MBP. The first thing I've noticed is how polished it is compared to the DP.

The only problem I have is that the brightness keeps resetting. I know its probably a driver issues as i'm using Windows 7 drivers. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to correct it?

Which version of bootcamp are you using?

Hit winkey and type "device manager" and hit enter

or how about folder options?

Requires extra steps where as before it as 1 unified step.

Found this annoying too, but if it helps, Win-W will do a search for settings and not the default apps search.