Windows 8 RC To Get Flatter Explorer UI, Other Changes

Which honestly, it really shouldn't be. The people who need the ribbon the most won't know how to keep it open. The ones who need it the least will know how to close it. Simple logic then says it should be open by default :p

Many people believe it should be closed by default as well. So how would they please everyone? Keep it open and closed at the same time by default? lol :s

Many people believe it should be closed by default as well. So how would they please everyone? Keep it open and closed at the same time by default? lol :s

Microsoft can pump out two different editions of each: One with the Ribbon fully opened by default and other with it minimized by default. It's what they're good at!

How about enabling it by default for newer users, while experienced users can simply click the minimise button once and forget about it? Unfortunately the last thing that Microsoft needs is technical users complaining about it, as that did a huge amount of damage to Vista's reputation. It's possible we'll see OEMs enable it by default, which seem to me to be the best solution - non-technical users won't be reinstalling the operating system and will just use what they've given, while technical users are saved from the arduous task of clicking the minimise button. To me it seems completely counter-productive to have the ribbon disabled, as most non-technical users will probably struggle to find it.

I like the new UI changes but I hope they still will include AeroLite Glass. It's right now what I'm using and I love it.

Say, how'd you get that?

Say, how'd you get that?

right click on desktop -> Personalize -> Window Color Option (Automatic)

right click on desktop -> Personalize (open another window) -> select Windows Basic

Now select again the Window Color on the first window you did open

Personalize -> Window Color Option (Automatic)

Personalize (open another window) -> select Windows Basic

I got that, but it doesn't have glass enabled. :(

I got that, but it doesn't have glass enabled. :(

You need to leave the "Window Color and Appearance" window open while you're changing the theme. Afterwards it should be possible to select another color and get the glass effect.

No shadows at all though?! :/

Unless something changes though, which I doubt, I see no reason why desktop side themes can't work for Win8 if/when people decide to make them.

Expect a theme pack from me sometime between RC and RTM for Windows 8. I actually started on one for Windows 7 but stopped because so many UI resources are hard coded (The ribbon for example).

Expect a theme pack from me sometime between RC and RTM for Windows 8. I actually started on one for Windows 7 but stopped because so many UI resources are hard coded (The ribbon for example).

That is not what he meant , he meant custom visual themes..

Finally...now they should remove glossy aero area for ultimate Metro Experience :D

hmm just disable transparency??

That is not what he meant , he meant custom visual themes..

Yeah, that's what I meant too. I just worded it poorly. I was talking about custom .msstyles/explorerframe.dll/explorer.exe/imageres.dll/authui.dll/wmploc.dll etc.

#Canouna : "Crazy bunch of changes on the last build of the week - UI, cursors, color picker, start button, and more."

Interesting!

I so so so hate him! :( He teases us so badly :(

Start button did he say? Hmm

#Canouna : "Crazy bunch of changes on the last build of the week - UI, cursors, color picker, start button, and more."

Interesting!

Start Button? Hopefully an optional addition, I'm fine with none now.

UI - Hopefully tweaked Desktop

Cursors - More metro like and different loading icon? The metro dots instead of the aero spinner?

Now, we need new sounds!

Start Button? Hopefully an optional addition, I'm fine with none now.

UI - Hopefully tweaked Desktop

Cursors - More metro like and different loading icon? The metro dots instead of the aero spinner?

Now, we need new sounds!

I'm looking forward to the color picker. The beta is so limited, that I'm actually bored with the colors now. :p

I'm looking forward to the color picker. The beta is so limited, that I'm actually bored with the colors now. :p

We already know that they've been expanded from the 6/7 in the CP to about 20-30 odd now in the RP. So we have variety. Hopefully more background patterns too.

The start button is already here in the CP, it's inside the charm bar.

I'm actually wondering if they didn't add maybe a subtle indicator that the start button is still accessible from the taskbar.

We already know that they've been expanded from the 6/7 in the CP to about 20-30 odd now in the RP. So we have variety. Hopefully more background patterns too.

I hadn't heard that, though considering there wasn't any choice in the developer preview it's not exactly surprising. It would be nice to see more background patterns as well.

Personally I'm happy with the Consumer Preview so if they can improve from that then that's great.