What is your opinion on Skrillex?

still not near as good as BASS-T AND MASTER BLASTER!!!!!

I like his collab with Korn....that is about it. I MUCH prefer what Lindsey Stirling did with dubstep:

watch at 1:09 onward.... plus she is so MAJORLY HOT!!! Mark my words, she is going places!!! My favorite artist to date! Just love her!!!!

I like a few of his songs and they sound great on a system :D A lot of his stuff sounds like a dial-up modem having a stroke :p

IMHO that wub wub wub wub ain't really music but since we all have different taste in music I don't flame no-one and everyone can listen to what they want :) (Whats ironic about that is that I listen to hardstyle/hardcore myself lol)

I like most of his tracks. He created what you'd call brostep.. more popular dubstep.

For haters, what can one say, no any music can be called as it "has no soul", it's a matter of taste. It's like saying everyone's a moron for not composing stuff like Beethoven. Everything else sucks because you have some high standards. The hipster made it, he's high on the music chain and creates sounds that entertain.

On another note, thank God his emo band wasn't as popular. :D

As a DJ who was playing dubstep way 7 years ago, I have to say that he represents part of the movement that has killed "dubstep" and made "brostep" or "fratstep". Gotta respect what he does though, turning up with his macbook, pressing play and charking $60,000 a gig!

I MUCH prefer what Lindsey Stirling did with dubstep:

She has a great deal of presence and talent with the violin but the repetitive 1980's grade electronic nonsense accompanying her music is holding her back from any major breakthrough.

maybe i used the wrong term but the fact that all he does is hit play on his macbook for his concerts is lame, like another poster said you could just have a laptop there and it would be the same thing as him in the room, no talent in my opinion.

All this dude does is dance up and down, mess with the EQs and hit spacebar.

*press play*

*light cigarette*

*make sure EQs aren't accidentally turned down*

*move hair out of glasses*

*talk to hipster friends*

*check EQs again*

*make hand movements to the crowd*

*triple check EQ knobs*

*adjust alcoholic beverage*

*dance with hipster friends*

*move hair out of face*

*more hand movements*

*yell in mic*

*drink, smoke*

*repeat above steps 3 times*

*RANDOMLY TRANSITION TO A TRACK THAT IS ALREADY HALF WAY PLAYED WITH NO MIXING WHATSOEVER*

*randomly cut power, music stops*

*CROW GOES INSANE!!!!!*

THIS IS THE GREATNESS THAT IS SKRILLEX

156bqdz.jpg

who seriously cancels a show because their pc goes down LOL

Sounds like he's created pre-recorded sets in Ableton for his shows. He still puts in the hard work of creating them!

I think once you get to a certain size you're forced to use pre-recorded sets for massive arena tours. Even the biggest and best DJ's in the world are doing it. How do I know? One of the best DJ's I've seen is Tiesto in a massive arena tour and he can definitely mix live (on vinyls if he wants). But he must have been playing the same set at every show because the light show was immense and there was video accompanying most of the set which was perfectly in sync and a massive finale with confetti being shot out in sync as well

Was it still the best DJ show I've been to? Yeh. Did he spend weeks of preparation prerecording the set and getting the light/video show perfect? Yeh. Did he spent most of the night I saw him fiddling with nobs and not doing any live mixing? Yeh

I like most of his tracks. He created what you'd call brostep.. more popular dubstep.

For haters, what can one say, no any music can be called as it "has no soul", it's a matter of taste.

Yes, some people have taste. Some do not. If you think "dubstep" is anything more than repetitive drivel you are on a drug I have not found yet.

And yes, I love good techno, house, electronic, etc. and have since Brian Eno and the first Moog pieces (many of those are crap too, btw). I haven't heard a single piece of music labeled "dubstep" that wasn't just Casio keyboard grade nonsense.

Someone enlighten me...or at least tell me what drug makes this "music" palatable. 8P

Sounds like he's created pre-recorded sets in Ableton for his shows.

Um, what kind of a MORON has his entire career and life's work on PCs that he isn't backing up or mirroring 24/7?!!!!

Oh wait...he's an Apple user. He doesn't even know how his computer works...

Yes, some people have taste. Some do not. If you think "dubstep" is anything more than repetitive drivel you are on a drug I have not found yet.

What dubstep has become is repetitive drivel for white, middle class, fratboys to pretend to be "wylin out" to!

And yes, I DJ using 2 laptops. If one dies, I can DJ off one. But I would NEVER EVER dream of using set playlists - that is the lamest thing I ever heard.

Moreover, drop of a hat I can switch back to dual CD decks, and if I have th full setup, vinyl (but my selection would be crap). He is not a DJ, he is a uy who turns up and presses play on stuff he prepared at home. A producer?

And yes, I love good techno, house, electronic, etc. and have since Brian Eno and the first Moog pieces (many of those are crap too, btw). I haven't heard a single piece of music labeled "dubstep" that wasn't just Casio keyboard grade nonsense.

Someone enlighten me...or at least tell me what drug makes this "music" palatable. 8P

Doesn't James Blake consider himself dubstep? He sings and plays his sets with instruments. So, nice way to be a condescending dick to everyone in this thread who enjoy this type of music (not sure if I'd count myself in them).

Regarding the genre, it's mostly defined by the bpm and prominent bass lines, so anything goes, really. It's just that the more aggressive version made it's way to the mainstream, and that's about it. You can call it "brostep" and be a hipster about it, but it's still dubstep. And if you can't see any value in it, doesn't mean no one else does. As I said, Skrillex makes loud, aggressive music that doesn't take itself too seriously. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with that.

Doesn't James Blake consider himself dubstep? He sings and plays his sets with instruments.

That song in the video was truly awful.

While I may have sounded dickish, I'm honestly waiting to hear something/anything called "dubstep" that was any good. If I've missed out, enlighten me!

Couple of tracks of his are ok but most of his stuff is just a noise.

Isn't dubstep just make as many loud sounds as possible in the shortest possible time and then repeat for 3-5 minutes.

And who are you to say what's tasteless or not ? That would be the question. Dude's "repetitive drivel" is bumping on international speakers making $$$, where's yours. :) Someone might hate to death what you listen to, would that entitle them to call your definition of music tasteless and even worse call you things for listening to it ?

I know respectable people that work on TV and are big death metal fans (that "music" featuring all sorts of pig growling) and they do not kill people, or plan to.

That song in the video was truly awful.

While I may have sounded dickish, I'm honestly waiting to hear something/anything called "dubstep" that was any good. If I've missed out, enlighten me!

That sounds more like Ambient than Dub

I do get a kick out of most that hate on Dub/Dubstep have no clue what it sounds like

• 3 weeks later...