Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

Well that is just called paranoia, especially with an established piece of software/company.

That's ridiculous. I'll take a built-in feature over a 3rd party hack any day and, as Dot Matrix said, most companies don't spend money on things like Ultramon.

Dot Matrix is... [/color]

It's a personal opinion, Killer Features are to one's own, but honestly, the multi monitor enhancements will be hard to ignore. I do believe it will be a selling point for many.

That's ridiculous. I'll take a built-in feature over a 3rd party hack any day and, as Dot Matrix said, most companies don't spend money on things like Ultramon.

I ran a few third party applets back in my XP days, and I have to say, I don't miss them in the least. They became too much to handle. I'm slowly but surely growing out of transforming my installs to these elaborate setups, so if something finally gets baked into the OS - such as these multi monitor features - I'm all for it, and will use them to their fullest.

I don't think it is, I'm getting random lock ups and many people are too. It's not specific, it seems like it's a bug MS need to fix.

I'm noticing that the majority of people having lockups seem to be running Nvidia graphics on their machines. I'm running an AMD card and have been since the CP. No issues. Well, one. When I click back into IE Metro from another app or the desktop I get a blackscreen. It brings the page back up once I click the thumbnail in the tabs bar, however.

So the only way to use IE10 Metro is to have IE as the default browser? It's tile is replaced by the desktop version when a different browser is set as default.

Also, is there a way to launch the desktop version of the windows update (or any other desktop app/setting that has metro counterpart) after searching it from the start screen?

I've also found my Start screen doesn't change. On my first PC, it's been customized: I have different groups, arrangements, etc. None of this is on my second PC, which instead just has the default setup. Is that supposed to be synced? Can it be synced?

Nope, that start screen layouts don't sync - due to differences in layout between PC's caused by screen sizes, and that PC's even with the same account may have different installed applications breaking the sync.

So the only way to use IE10 Metro is to have IE as the default browser? It's tile is replaced by the desktop version when a different browser is set as default.

Also, is there a way to launch the desktop version of the windows update (or any other desktop app/setting that has metro counterpart) after searching it from the start screen?

Three *different* ways of avoiding the Start Screen for dual-mode apps (Control Panel, etc.) -

1. Run-boxing (control.exe, wintask.,exe, etc.) works for all non-Metro applications - it's how I usually launch them. (Also, Ctrl-Alt-Del still launches Task Manager - just as it did in Windows Vista and 7.)

2. Right-click on the lower-left hotcorner (where the Start orb/button used to live) brings up the QuickTask power users' menu - all the settings are available - as well as two command prompts (one with Admin privileges).

3. WIN+C (Charm bar).

I'm noticing that the majority of people having lockups seem to be running Nvidia graphics on their machines.

I'm running it on three different computers. Only the computer with Nvidia graphics locks up occasionally, although it hasn't happened lately.

Nvidia GPU here.. I get the lockups.. crashes.. and also.. whats with the graphical glitches in Fruit Ninja?

I have tried many drivers.. 280.xx series seem not to crash.. but do lockup and stuff.

NVIDIA here. No lockups what so ever, but I did have a driver crash yesterday. Only one I've had since installing the RP.

is there a way to temporarily block the corners. i am playing a game that takes up the full screen and its annoying when i get switched back to the destkop

Anyone know how to successfully install Windows 8 RP on Virtual Box, im getting this error...

the version im using is 32bit, and 4.1.16

please help

post-392774-0-82275200-1339057543.png

I'm noticing that the majority of people having lockups seem to be running Nvidia graphics on their machines. I'm running an AMD card and have been since the CP. No issues. Well, one. When I click back into IE Metro from another app or the desktop I get a blackscreen. It brings the page back up once I click the thumbnail in the tabs bar, however.

Still, it's the majority. Mine is Intel and I'm still having the problem.

Nvidia 680 here, lots of lockups, but is remedied by using by uninstalling drivers. Chrome on the dev channel seems to lock the system up, so I reverted back to the stable release channel, and I can use it without problem.

Also getting driver crashes, artifacts on screen and other glitches using GeForce GT 430. Tried the official drivers on the NVIDIA site and the newest drivers that come with the OS. Same problem with both. I don't use Windows 8 much due to these problems. NVIDIA should've had new drivers available day 1. I mean, don't they get access to early Windows 8 builds? Hopefully the new drivers don't take long to be released.

Do anyone else have issues with the volume controls for keyboard not working with RP? They worked fine for the CP. The same goes for my G35 headset. I have to manually adjust the volume now in the systray.

Do anyone else have issues with the volume controls for keyboard not working with RP? They worked fine for the CP. The same goes for my G35 headset. I have to manually adjust the volume now in the systray.

Nope. Working fine here.

Fine here too. You on a laptop, as if your volume buttons are with FN buttons, they may have got switched?

Fine here too. You on a laptop, as if your volume buttons are with FN buttons, they may have got switched?

Both laptop and desktop actually. And yes I need to use the FN buttons. On my desktop I have a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard with the latest software. Nothing have changed compared to the CP release. The brightness controls on the laptop is working fine. The same goes for everything else that use FN keys.

Among fixed applications (in addition to Skype) are the beta-1 build of BlueStacks - failed in the CP, works just fine in the RP.

Kind of a dumb question, but what ever became of the new Windows logo supposedly changing color based on your personalization settings? Was that dropped? I remember it being in the blog article that talked about the new logo but never quite got what they meant...

Kind of a dumb question, but what ever became of the new Windows logo supposedly changing color based on your personalization settings? Was that dropped? I remember it being in the blog article that talked about the new logo but never quite got what they meant...

The Start button on the Charms bar changes colour with your theme.

The Start button on the Charms bar changes colour with your theme.

Ah, just noticed that. That must have been what they were referring to here:

3. Our final goal was for the new logo to be humble, yet confident. Welcoming you in with a slight tilt in perspective and when you change your color, the logo changes to reflect you. It is a ?Personal? Computer after all.

In my case, it's sort of a pinkish-red color.

I've only had two problems with the RP so far.

The first one is that I have an issue shutting down my computer after plugging in a USB removable storage device. I don't know if it's because I'm not safely removing it, but I get a message saying that winlogon is looking for the "disk in drive F" when I'm shutting off the computer. It will NOT shut down no matter what I do and I have to hold the power button down to power it off.

The second is that I can't browse large folders in safe mode. When opening the folder it acts like it is gathering the contents...but never finishes. Says the folder is empty in this process.

I've only had two problems with the RP so far.

The first one is that I have an issue shutting down my computer after plugging in a USB removable storage device. I don't know if it's because I'm not safely removing it, but I get a message saying that winlogon is looking for the "disk in drive F" when I'm shutting off the computer. It will NOT shut down no matter what I do and I have to hold the power button down to power it off.

The second is that I can't browse large folders in safe mode. When opening the folder it acts like it is gathering the contents...but never finishes. Says the folder is empty in this process.

I installed 8 RP on a machine I gave to my mum and she started telling me it was showing that about the message Winlogon and a Disk in a drive at shutdown

I never got it while the machine was here which is weird

What are the exact conditions that cause it, and is there a way to shutdown without getting that message ?