Windows 8 Release Preview Discussion

That's a lie!

I use the Metro Messaging app all the time, and i'm sure most of my friends are not on Win8. Yet, we can communicate just fine through all the Metro apps

Oh.I didn't know that.

But if you only have a netbook like me,you won't be able to use the Metro apps. As you need a screen resolution of 750 pixels. And all netbooks only go up to 700 including mine.That is the highest it will go.

And Microsoft has not changed it so that the Metro apps will work on a screen resolution less than 750 pixels. And unfortunately all netbooks don't have that.

But apart from that Windows 8 runs well on a netbook. And also you don't need to run Metro software on Windows 8. After all you don't have any Metro software on Windows 7.

I don't have any Metro apps on my Windows 8 RP and I did not have on my Windows 8 CP. I have uninstalled all of them.As they don't work.

And when Windows 8 is released, most people will still be using Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows XP the same as they are now. Andrea Borman.

Oh.I didn't know that.

But if you only have a netbook like me,you won't be able to use the Metro apps. As you need a screen resolution of 750 pixels. And all netbooks only go up to 700 including mine.That is the highest it will go.

And Microsoft has not changed it so that the Metro apps will work on a screen resolution less than 750 pixels. And unfortunately all netbooks don't have that.

But apart from that Windows 8 runs well on a netbook. And also you don't need to run Metro software on Windows 8. After all you don't have any Metro software on Windows 7.

I don't have any Metro apps on my Windows 8 RP and I did not have on my Windows 8 CP. I have uninstalled all of them.As they don't work.

And when Windows 8 is released, most people will still be using Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows XP the same as they are now. Andrea Borman.

Newer computers sold will have the proper resolution. The netbook is being phased out in favor of small laptops and ultrabooks and with every release of windows it takes years for the new version to surpass the previous.

But if you have a Windows 7 laptop or netbook that runs Windows 8 CP or RP without any problems,it is best to hang onto that. And install the final version of Windows 8 on that,when it goes out on sale.

Then if later on you want to reinstall Windows 7 or Windows Vista you can.

But if you buy a Windows 8 laptop it could have secure boot which you may not be able to disable. Then you can't install Windows 7 or another OS.Or even do a clean install of Windows 8.

As I have got several netbooks,I am just going to buy the Windows 8 CD and install it on that. Not buy a new laptop. Unless it is a Windows 7 32 bit laptop. I don't use 64 bit Windows. Andrea Borman.

If you must run a start menu replacement at least run stardocks start 8, even if I'm not stardock fan.

However There's no excuse for running windows Mail today, it's horribly out of date and a security risk, not as bad a OE, but pretty bad when you have a perfect replacement in Windows Live Mail. As for old version of WMP... there's even less reasons for that.

And you want to know what irks me? No, well your going to hear it.

Firstly, people who defend Windows 8 to the hilt, and to you people - PLEASE ACCEPT THAT THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DON'T AND WON'T LIKE IT.

Secondly, people who repeatedly post that they don't like Windows 8 and won't be buying it, and to you people - THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT LIKE AND LOVE IT.

To both camps, please show some respect to each other and stop constantly quoting each other and stating for the billionth time that you either hate or love or whatever you think about Windows 8

Let's try and have a decent discussion about Windows 8 without all that crap all the time.

/rant over

Apologies upfront to those who are trying to have a decent discussion, just fed up!

Strangely enough I wasn't rude to anybody I was in fact just countering a rather insidious stereotype that there has to be something wrong with those of us that dislike it.

Strangely enough I wasn't rude to anybody I was in fact just countering a rather insidious stereotype that there has to be something wrong with those of us that dislike it.

I never said you was rude and what I said wasn't specifically aimed at you. It was aimed at both camps to be fair.

If you must run a start menu replacement at least run stardocks start 8, even if I'm not stardock fan.

However There's no excuse for running windows Mail today, it's horribly out of date and a security risk, not as bad a OE, but pretty bad when you have a perfect replacement in Windows Live Mail. As for old version of WMP... there's even less reasons for that.

Stardocks Start 8 is more for people who want the Metro start menu. As all it does is bring up the Metro start menu. But I want the Windows 7 and Windows XP start menu.

So if you want the Windows start menu,it's Classic Shell,Start Menu 7, Vi Start,or Vista Start Menu.

Windows Mail is secure it has a spam filter.And on Windows XP I use Outlook Express But that does not work on Windows Vista,Windows 7 or Windows 8.I have tried it. Outlook Express only works on Windows XP.

But WMP 5.1,Mplay32 works on Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows8. And on my Windows 7 and Windows 8,I also have WMP 11 for Windows 7,not WMP 12. Andrea Borman.

Windows Mail is secure it has a spam filter.And on Windows XP I use Outlook Express But that does not work on Windows Vista,Windows 7 or Windows 8.I have tried it. Outlook Express only works on Windows XP.

You don't know what secure means. just saying. and No it's not, and you should NEVER EVER EVER use Outlook Express anymore, and if you see someone using it, you should replace it with ANY other e-mail client. it is full of holes and peopel can be infected by viruses just from getting a mail in it. It's old deprecated software that has been replaced, for a reason.

and spam filter has nothing to do with security, also spam filters are not 100% even if they did. but sam filters just stop most spam, they don't stop malicious mails.

But WMP 5.1,Mplay32 works on Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows8. And on my Windows 7 and Windows 8,I also have WMP 11 for Windows 7,not WMP 12. Andrea Borman.

Does not answer why....

Nvidia GPU here.. I get the lockups.. crashes.. and also.. whats with the graphical glitches in Fruit Ninja?

I have tried many drivers.. 280.xx series seem not to crash.. but do lockup and stuff.

280?!? You do know there are 302 drivers for Windows 8 now? Here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Fill in your information and select Windows 8 (32/64) as your OS

If I were you, I would uninstall all NVIDIA stuff, delete the NVIDIA folder in C:/, and perform a "clean" install under the "custom" option.

With fruit ninja, do your windows updates and download all of them. One of them seems to fix it.

You don't know what secure means. just saying. and No it's not, and you should NEVER EVER EVER use Outlook Express anymore, and if you see someone using it, you should replace it with ANY other e-mail client. it is full of holes and peopel can be infected by viruses just from getting a mail in it. It's old deprecated software that has been replaced, for a reason.

and spam filter has nothing to do with security, also spam filters are not 100% even if they did. but sam filters just stop most spam, they don't stop malicious mails.

Windows Mail has a phishing filter. Outlook Express does not have a spam box. But I am on Windows XP now, and I use Outlook Express. And I don't just open any email I get that I don't know. Any email that looks like spam I just delete it without opening it.

And Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail is a clone of Outlook Express. So it's the same thing,except Windows Mail looks more modern and Windows Live Mail has a few extra features thrown in.

And WMP 11 is better than WMP 12. I had WMP 9 on Windows XP but Windows Update upgraded it to WMP 11. Andrea Borman.

Windows Mail has a phishing filter. Outlook Express does not have a spam box. But I am on Windows XP now, and I use Outlook Express. And I don't just open any email I get that I don't know. Any email that looks like spam I just delete it without opening it.

And Windows Mail and Windows Live Mail is a clone of Outlook Express. So it's the same thing,except Windows Mail looks more modern and Windows Live Mail has a few extra features thrown in.

<snipped>

Even if you delete mail without Opening, Outlook Express still scans the email, which is the whole problem, it'll run the virus/execute the code and then you are infected.

Having Outlook Express running IS a security hole, and a big one. That's why it's not supported anymore, it's a lost cause..

Also Windows Mail/Livemail is not a clone, it may look the same/close, but it's a whole new codebase without all the security holes.

Never ever ever Run Outlook Express.

Edited by Calum
Implying such is against our rules.

And WMP 11 is better than WMP 12. I had WMP 9 on Windows XP but Windows Updated upgraded it to WMP 11. Andrea Borman.

seriously, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, so take it from someone who does. don't use OE at all, and use WLM over windows mail when possible. everyhting you think you know about security is mostly wrong or way to little.

seriously, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, so take it from someone who does. don't use OE at all, and use WLM over windows mail when possible. everyhting you think you know about security is mostly wrong or way to little.

she sure doesn't

repeating Metro theme .. metro theme

<snipped>

Edited by Calum
Please don't imply such things.

Note sure if trolling..

Even if you delete mail without Opening, Outlook Express still scans the email, which is the whole problem, it'll run the virus/execute the code and then you are infected.

Having Outlook Express running IS a security hole, and a big one. That's why it's not supported anymore, it's a lost cause..

Also Windows Mail/Livemail is not a clone, it may look the same/close, but it's a whole new codebase without all the security holes.

Never ever ever Run Outlook Express.

Well Outlook Express is part of the Windows XP operating system like Internet Explorer is. And I have some of my email accounts set up in Outlook Express and I am not having any problems.

Outlook Express checks for new email as all email clients do. That is normal.

Instead of having to go onto a web browser,I can access my emails from my desktop,very handy.

Why are you so opposed to Outlook Express have you had a bad experience with it?Andrea Borman.

Well Outlook Express is part of the Windows XP operating system like Internet Explorer is. And I have some of my email accounts set up in Outlook Express and I am not having any problems.

Outlook Express checks for new email as all email clients do. That is normal.

Instead of having to go onto a web browser,I can access my emails from my desktop,very handy.

Why are you so opposed to Outlook Express have you had a bad experience with it?Andrea Borman.

I loved Outlook Express, it was great in it's day, but then Microsoft stopped releasing patches for the security holes, as such they are unfixed. It has been abandoned by Microsoft. It is a Massive security hole to have it running on a computer on this day and age. Just because it seems like it does the same thing as current ones doesn't change how it is programmed, and how it acts.

A Model T drives down the road, starts, stops, turns.. doesn't mean anyone in this day and age should drive it as a day to day car, it's just not safe.

280?!? You do know there are 302 drivers for Windows 8 now? Here:

http://www.nvidia.co...aspx?lang=en-us

Fill in your information and select Windows 8 (32/64) as your OS

If I were you, I would uninstall all NVIDIA stuff, delete the NVIDIA folder in C:/, and perform a "clean" install under the "custom" option.

With fruit ninja, do your windows updates and download all of them. One of them seems to fix it.

I have tried all the new drivers except the latest beta for RP. Im hesitant to if it will fix it or make it unstable again. I think im gonna try it. I hope it fixes everything.

I'm having problems with UPS drivers in the RP... for some reason windows stops the drivers. I then have to disable/enable it... or uninstall/rescan, and then it works again. Anybody else facing this annoyance. It seems the "HID UPS Battery" driver is borked.

Is there any way to prevent windows from automatically stopping drivers?

Its just unbelievable... seeing as how its in the RC phase, you'd expect ****in' driver support to be better.

That's a lie!

I use the Metro Messaging app all the time, and i'm sure most of my friends are not on Win8. Yet, we can communicate just fine through all the Metro apps

The Metro Mail app supports GMail/Google Mail - what it *doesn't* support is POP3. While GMail/Google Mail also supports POP3, the default is IMAP4 (which works just fine in Outlook and the Windows non-Metro Live Mail, as is also the case in Outlook 2007 and 2010). Messaging is, in fact, Windows Live Messenger WinRT-style (fully cross-compatible with the existing WLM - like WLM, it also supports cross-communication with Yahoo Messenger and even Facebook Chat/Messenger - which also works on Windows 8).

The Metro Mail app supports GMail/Google Mail - what it *doesn't* support is POP3.

And POP3 and IMAP support has been confirmed as one of the features coming in the final release.

The Metro Mail app supports GMail/Google Mail - what it *doesn't* support is POP3. While GMail/Google Mail also supports POP3, the default is IMAP4 (which works just fine in Outlook and the Windows non-Metro Live Mail, as is also the case in Outlook 2007 and 2010). Messaging is, in fact, Windows Live Messenger WinRT-style (fully cross-compatible with the existing WLM - like WLM, it also supports cross-communication with Yahoo Messenger and even Facebook Chat/Messenger - which also works on Windows 8).

Well on my Windows Mail(from Windows Vista) on Windows 8 I have one of my Gmail accounts and my Hotmail account set to pop not IMAP. And it works on Windows 8,on Windows Mail that is and also on Windows Live Mail which I also have.

And note,I have got Windows Live Essentials 2009 the Windows XP, version not Windows Live Essentials 2011, on both Windows 8 and Windows 7 and also on Windows Vista.

I read that Outlook Express is bundled with Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP,and IE5 on Windows2000,Windows 98, and earlier versions of Windows. And is part of Internet Explorer,even if you upgrade to IE7 or IE8.

That is why Outlook Express won't work on anything but Windows XP. And also if you tried to install Outlook Express 4 from Windows 98 on Windows 2000 or Windows XP,that won't work either.

But Windows Mail is not bundled or part of Internet Explorer like outlook Express is. Which is probably why it works on Windows 7 and Windows 8.

But another change I have noticed on Windows 8 RP is that it is now much easier to access the Metro start menu. If you close Classic Shell,you can now just click the left hand hot corner,where the start button should be and you get the Metro start screen.

In Windows 8 CP you had to swipe and click with your mouse, but on RP you just click. Andrea Borman.

I think you're wrong, Mail apps supports EAS, not POP/IMAP (yet).

Messaging apps supports XMPP, which allows the cross-communication platform.