Godzilla

I am not watching any clips at all.

I would stay away from thread then or hope people use

[spoiler][/spoiler]

They most certainly should NOT have shown the monster in the trailer!

That's always been an issue I've had with the marketing teams of studios. They almost always show way too much in the trailers and then by the time you get to see the film, you've seen all the best parts and the film is nowhere near as enjoyable as if you had never seen a single trailer.

That problem also happens with TV Shows. I remember even Carlton Cuse & Damon Lindelof discussing this in their weekly podcast because fans were complaining about the trailers for the next episode spoiling a lot and both of them said that they wish they could change that, but ABC marketing was in charge of that.

• Like 1

I would stay away from thread then or hope people use

[spoiler][/spoiler]

lol, I know, I've been here long enough. I'm saying that's cause there's only like a couple weeks before release, so I'm not going to bother to watch the clips. 

I have already bought my ticket. It's a shame that I can't see it on IMAX.

Ugh! Why did you have to remind me the size?! Humans are so incredibly small to this new revision that I don't even understand why we'd even be anymore than a fly to this new Godzilla. That's got to be the only reason there are other monsters in the film, because we're so insignificant to this creature.

Ugh! Why did you have to remind me the size?! Humans are so incredibly small to this new revision that I don't even understand why we'd even be anymore than a fly to this new Godzilla. That's got to be the only reason there are other monsters in the film, because we're so insignificant to this creature.

well I'd figure the more big the beast, the more damage it will do to the city. So in a way, it's good. lol. 

First review I've seen seems to indicate it is a good movie:

'Godzilla' review: meet your new favorite superhero: http://theverge.com/2014/5/12/5700716/godzilla-review

"It?s a testament to both the filmmaker and production company Legendary Pictures, then, that the new Godzilla is such an exhilarating success. Rather than reaching for the low-hanging fruit of wall-to-wall action, Edwards conjures up a mix of slowly escalating tension and visual-effects wizardry. The result may not be the monster movie some audiences are expecting, but it?s something better: a summer blockbuster that actually leaves you wanting more."

Got to see an early screening with a good friend. What a hugely fun movie. Seriously good fun! Best line from the movie, which got the crowd ecstatic:

"The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control, and not the other way around. Let them fight."

I saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D and was not impressed:

- It is clear that watching this movie in 3D is not recommended, not in the least because its cinematographer is not a fan of it and it did not seem to add to the experience

- The heritage of Godzilla and those 2 MUTOs was muddled and not explained at all well where they came from

- When the first MUTO hatched in the Philippines, the nearest nuclear power station was in Japan? China has loads on its coast, so it's obvious that film-makers used Japan to fulfil their Toho contractual obligations.

- Are you telling me that when the Nevada's MUTO escaped, it took a bunker-by-bunker check for them to notice? What a load of nonsense.

- It didn't feel like Joe Brody (Cranston) had to die when he did, seemed unnecessary

- The Olsen character added little to the feel of the story, either the character was badly written or badly acted. Or both.

- What was the purpose of that Japanese Dr's assistant? They could have gotten rid of her and it would have actually made things better.

- Godzilla itself was way too fat and always had an urge to roar

- No cliff-hanger at the end, which was lame

I may think of a few other things but, at this rate, it is no better than 1998's Broderick/Emmerich/Reno film.

• Like 2

I enjoyed it, watched it last night. Thought it was very good.

Better than the some movie that looked like Jurassic Park with Hank Azaria

Well worth the watch.

That movie did not happen.

- It is clear that watching this movie in 3D is not recommended, not in the least because its cinematographer is not a fan of it and it did not seem to add to the experience

- The heritage of Godzilla and those 2 MUTOs was muddled and not explained at all well where they came from

- When the first MUTO hatched in the Philippines, the nearest nuclear power station was in Japan? China has loads on its coast, so it's obvious that film-makers used Japan to fulfil their Toho contractual obligations.

- Are you telling me that when the Nevada's MUTO escaped, it took a bunker-by-bunker check for them to notice? What a load of nonsense.

- It didn't feel like Joe Brody (Cranston) had to die when he did, seemed unnecessary

- The Olsen character added little to the feel of the story, either the character was badly written or badly acted. Or both.

- What was the purpose of that Japanese Dr's assistant? They could have gotten rid of her and it would have actually made things better.

I may think of a few other things but, at this rate, it is no better than 1998's Broderick/Emmerich/Reno film.

3D almost never adds to the experience, it's just a gimmick to sell pricier tickets. That especially true in movies that are converted to 3D in post-production like Godzilla. If the movie is filmed in 3D from scratch, then there is a mild interest, but it's still a gimmick that is being over-used to market movies that can't stand on their own.

• Like 3

3D almost never adds to the experience, it's just a gimmick to sell pricier tickets. That especially true in movies that are converted to 3D in post-production like Godzilla. If the movie is filmed in 3D from scratch, then there is a mild interest, but it's still a gimmick that is being over-used to market movies that can't stand on their own.

Agreed. It seems to work somewhat better for animated movies, since they are almost always done in 3D to begin with, but I do not recall a motion picture what blew me away with its 3D presentation. Unfortunately these days, if you want to watch a movie on an IMAX screen, it has to be in 3D.

I agree with most of the thing listed.

The ending was fine though I mean Godzilla going back in to the ocean.It creates an open world for the upcoming sequel. I personally felt that the characters besides Cranston's character were really meh.Like Ford and His wife, I mean they could have done a better job to split them up. Like I felt nothing for them when the whole family reunited at the end.I'm like umm ok. They are back together. I don't know why Cranston's character died so fast. Watanabe's character should have more things to do IMO. His character in the original was like a huge factor in the movie. I don't know why he didn't really do much.

I hate how the movie was edited. There are some scenes where you see the MUTO and Godzilla start fighting and it will just cut to somewhere else. I mean it was like a huge build up to the reveal of Godzilla and then it'd just got to like the living room. Totally kills the build up imo. Also, the humor was ok. Sure it was funny to see the Monsters fight on live TV, but they decided to do it 3 times during the movie. It was funny once, but going back again, and again got a bit lame.Speaking of humor, did anyone laugh when Watannabe said 'Gojira' the first two times? My whole theatre was laughing their asses off. I"m not sure if that was intended to be funny. I laughed anyway. 

Although there are also tons of positives as well, loved Cranston's character. He was just awesome. Godzilla's design was fine, the tail glowing build up was awesome. Loved the beheading of the last MUTO. There are some parts of the film reminded me of the T-Rex scene in Jurassic Park. LIke the railway where the MUTO was going under the bridge. IMO, one of the best parts of the movie cinematically.

- It is clear that watching this movie in 3D is not recommended, not in the least because its cinematographer is not a fan of it and it did not seem to add to the experience I got the feeling that the director didn't write or want to film this with those stupid 3D effects. Good for him, I HATE 3D and it ruins 2D when a film is clearly filmed for 3D.

It was explained perfectly well that these were ancient beasts that had survived for millions of years. They kept the anti-nuclear twists for the Japanese audiences. The film constantly drove home the idea that Godzilla was a "terrifying force of nature". Man woke it up after a long period of time of being dormant though.

- It didn't feel like Joe Brody (Cranston) had to die when he did, seemed unnecessary I would argument more to the point that after the power plant collapse, him surviving at all was unlikely. He could have died there and his son having a different storyline to bring him on board or not at all. 

- The Olsen character added little to the feel of the story, either the character was badly written or badly acted. Or both. She was a secondary character to begin with, so she didn't need to be there much. Her character was to add emotion to Brody's character was all.

- What was the purpose of that Japanese Dr's assistant? They could have gotten rid of her and it would have actually made things better. That's a bit nitpicky IMO.

- Godzilla itself was way too fat and always had an urge to roar To be that big, he had to have that sort of mass to hold up the bone structure of his size. Otherwise he wouldn't have been able to stand up. There are several animals, like the lion, that roar quite a bit in real life and I imagine they used these types of animals to imagine what a large beast like Godzilla might do.

- No cliff-hanger at the end, which was lame Godzilla living and going back in the water? Maybe not a spectacular cliffhanger, but still, what were you expecting? The idea of this film was to be more of a throwback to the original films, did you ever watch any of them? They all, as far as I can recall, show Godzilla going back into the water to live another day.

I may think of a few other things but, at this rate, it is no better than 1998's Broderick/Emmerich/Reno film. This was nothing like that film. The reason the 98 Godzilla is hated so much was because they had a crappy Godzilla with Leno's chin and a stupid love story with a girl who couldn't act and of course they also had Broderick. This film is 100x better that the 98 film and I am one of the few who actually liked that film. But it wasn't a Godzilla film, this film is. It had a little bit of American flare to it, all the while giving a lot of throwback to the original Godzilla films. This film was for the original films' fans.

Responded in RED.

wow that movie was so bad :-) honestly, chubby godzilla was a joke (wobbling around like marshmellow man??)

cant recall a movie so highly unlogical like this one. woooow :)

ps: godzilla should have eaten lt. brody. that wannabe military muscle guy was awful!

wow that movie was so bad :-) honestly, chubby godzilla was a joke (wobbling around like marshmellow man??)

cant recall a movie so highly unlogical like this one. woooow :)

ps: godzilla should have eaten lt. brody. that wannabe military muscle guy was awful!

Did you ever see the source material for this film? The original films weren't eactly Oscar nominated masterpieces.

http://youtu.be/94mg71wMZaI

• Like 2