Share your Windows 8/8.1 (Store) app recommendations

eBay Metro App is nice. Random quit on first sign-in. Don't know if it's Win 8 or the way apps are being written or what. The app is nice though for monitoring.

Currently the BBC news app and the improved eBay are good, also worth a mention fliptoast and orange Wednesdays (film guide, could be UK only)

I downloaded the app "Gaana" which means Songs In English.

Though the app is decent, the sound quality is painfully pathetic to listen as regular radio station.

The Solitair and Minesweeper are pretty good :)

(From the looks of it the Mahjong also looks pretty good, but that's not really a game I like...)

Has anyone found a decent replacement for 'Chess Titans'?

I downloaded the app "Gaana" which means Songs In English.

Though the app is decent, the sound quality is painfully pathetic to listen as regular radio station.

Do you mean it means song in Punjabi?

Do you mean it means song in Punjabi?

I can't be more clear when I said it means "song" in English

Ganna is a Hindi word derived from ancient Sanskrit. It means "song". People speaking Punjabi may use the word ganna as well as it's very similar to Hindi. Not too sure and that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have abandoned that app as the sound quality is p*** poor. Good job Times of India.

I can't be more clear when I said it means "song" in English

Ganna is a Hindi word derived from ancient Sanskrit. It means "song". People speaking Punjabi may use the word ganna as well as it's very similar to Hindi. Not too sure and that's besides the point.

Anyway, I have abandoned that app as the sound quality is p*** poor. Good job Times of India.

Call me slow. But, you say it means "song" in English. But, then you say it's a Hindi word. Uh..? If it's a Hindi word, wouldn't it mean "Song" in Hindi? Or, conversely the word "Song" in English means "Gaana" in Hindi? Point is, if a word (Gaana) originates in one language (Hindi) it is then translated into another language (English) thus giving you the translated word (Song). Therefore, Gaana means Song in English.

Edit: Nevermind. I see where our mix up is. It's a language thing. For those of us whose native tongue is American English we say what a word from another language means in THAT language. For example:

The word "Gaana" means "Song" in Hindi.

Whereas it seems you say what a Native word means in ANOTHER language. Example:

The word "Gaana" means "Song" in English.

Either way it's the same thing. Another way of writing it that would make sense in both would be, the word "Gaana" is "Song" in English.

Anyway, I liked the Times of India app, but I liked NDTV better.

The 7Digital Music Store app is kind of neat. You can stream and download all of your purchased music and even pin artists, albums or playlists to the Start screen. Seems cool. I wonder why this isn't implemented in Microsoft's own Music app.

post-5569-0-69222200-1346679162.png

Call me slow. But, you say it means "song" in English. But, then you say it's a Hindi word. Uh..? If it's a Hindi word, wouldn't it mean "Song" in Hindi?

You are correct. They could have said "I downloaded the app "Gaana" which in English means "songs" " but the way they phrased it was poor.

The 7Digital Music Store app is kind of neat. You can stream and download all of your purchased music and even pin artists, albums or playlists to the Start screen. Seems cool. I wonder why this isn't implemented in Microsoft's own Music app.

Pinning albums to the start screen is a nice option but I bet not something many think of doing. In the end it just adds to the mix of all the other things you have pinned that are probably more important.

That's a great point, especially considering it's possible to pin albums and artists to the Start screen in Windows Phone. I really do hope Microsoft are working on updates to many of the built-in apps, to be released soon (perhaps by GA). There are a few features I'd like to see, most importantly, toast notifications in People, automatic refresh of What's New in People, Facebook Music integration in Xbox Music, and support for offline Facebook messages in Messaging.

The remote desktop application is awesome better than the desktop version with tab support although no file copy paste support

Zentomi Reader - Best Google Reader client I have used thus far.

Crashes for me when I want to start it :/ (tried reinstalling it)

Crashes for me when I want to start it :/ (tried reinstalling it)

There are definitely a lot of bugs / missing features (like many WinRT apps) but the good news is they are working on it at a furious pace. There have been 3 updates in the last 4-5 days. I am fairly confident it will be mature to be a pretty good app in a few weeks, if not by GA time. They have also improved the in-line browser significantly in the matter of days so they are adding features as well. On a related note, Pulse works brilliantly on WinRT IE 10, really looking forward to the app. Discourse hasn't appeared back in the RTM store yet, that was one of the best apps in the RP store.

I have one (actually two) big problem with the Win8 Store... There is no version number, and release/update date displayed for apps in the store. I really missing these... :wacko:

Anyone tried Flux? If you can get past the pink, then I think it's the best RSS reader that I've tried from the Store. The only thing I don't like as of now is that it doesn't support 2-finger scrolling when browsing feeds

I have one (actually two) big problem with the Win8 Store... There is no version number, and release/update date displayed for apps in the store. I really missing these... :wacko:

I have to agree - give users the option to see version number and latest release date in the store please, Microsoft.

Yes, we need this!

... Discourse hasn't appeared back in the RTM store yet, that was one of the best apps in the RP store.

I use Discourse daily. It's an excellent app. I certainly hope it's back in the Store by GA. I can't say enough about it.

I use Discourse daily. It's an excellent app. I certainly hope it's back in the Store by GA. I can't say enough about it.

Yeah, me too. I use that a lot on RP. What I want is something similar to Misha Reader in terms of interface but none has really come up with that yet.

Download?ProjectName=mishrareader&DownloadId=433792