[BREAKING] Apple V. Samsung Jury reaches verdict.

I don't have personal stake in this.. but nobody should rejoice at this. It's very bad for consumers.

Apple offered them the choice to license the patents for $20 per phone. Samsung turned it down and continued to infringe. So now everyone has to suffer because of Samsungs infringement. You shouldn't blame Apple for protecting their investment, you know what phones were like before the iPhone, they sucked. Even Googles own Android devices before the iPhone looked more like Treos and Blackberrys and after the iPhone all had large encompassing touch screens. The influence of the iPhone has been massive and Apple as the inventor of the whole package deserves to protect their investment.

The jury who are made up of normal people seem to agree.

I think the part that really sunk Samsung was that huge 143 page document that detailed every little piece of the iPhone's hardware, software and iTunes companion software so that Samsung could rip it off in every way possible. It was like a "how to build an iPhone clone" guide and was definitely a devastating blow in this trial in my opinion.

So thats it. Expect an appeal from Samsung or whatever and shall see if they are granted one. I am betting Apple will be going after more companies now and there will be more people patent trolling as well. Hopefully this will be a wakeup call to reform the patent system.

It can't spur innovation when most of the obvious gesture patents are upheld.

This should spur 1000000 times more innovation instead of cheap copies of Apple products. This is how innovation works..

doesn't samsung supply parts to apple? I think samsung needs to play dirty if apple is.

Poop on their parts. Apple won't know until iPhone owners start complaining about a smell. Then Samsung can just say "Patent THAT!"

Sure.. and they didn't pay anything to each other because Microsoft is one of the biggest patent trolls. Yes, they are in cahoots.

And Apple asking for insane amounts of money for licensing agreement is not reasonable at all especially on such generic patents. Nobody would have accepted that.

You clearly need to grab a dictionary and look up the word cahoots. What Apple and Microsoft have a free cross licensing agreement because they both innovate lots and as such both hold significant patent portfolios. Totally within the letter of the law and mutually beneficially to both organizations.

(sent from my *innovative* iPhone)

Poop on their parts. Apple won't know until iPhone owners start complaining about a smell. Then Samsung can just say "Patent THAT!"

LOL best idea evarrrr

Sure.. and they didn't pay anything to each other because Microsoft is one of the biggest patent trolls. Yes, they are in cahoots.

MS have had a cross licensing agreement with Apple since the 90s.

Shame there weren't any OBJECTIVE people on the jury.

So, there's just no possibility at all then that actually, Samsung were just plainly ripping them off? Even with the internal Samsung document where they explain how they will plainly rip them off? Anyone's who looked through all the evidence could have told you this outcome beforehand - it was fairly obvious.

Samsung had good arguments on a lot of things, some things everyone knew they were going to lose on. I am betting some Samsung lawyers will be fired soon.

Eh what I bet will happen is that Samsung and Apple enter a cross-licensing agreement.

NOT saying Apple bought the court, but wouldnt be the first time a court was bought. I kept up to date on this trial and Samsung made to many mistakes and really was unprepared.

So, there's just no possibility at all then that actually, Samsung were just ripping them off,and Apple was far ahead doing their own thing and not infringing on anything? Anyone's who looked through all the evidence could have told you this outcome beforehand - it was fairly obvious.

Agreed. I was pretty confident this would be the outcome. All you had to do was look at the hardware Samsung was pushing out pre and post iPhone and the user interfaces they released on the post iPhone phones to come to that conclusion. Lots of the apps were similar that they included, even going so far as to use the same colour palettes and button placements on the screen but heck even the home screen used the little dots like the iPhone did to switch between pages of apps.

Samsung made the worlds best knock off but this time it wasn't Chinese it was South Korean.

So, there's just no possibility at all then that actually, Samsung were just ripping them off,and Apple was far ahead doing their own thing and not infringing on anything? Anyone's who looked through all the evidence could have told you this outcome beforehand - it was fairly obvious.

for a lot of the hardware side stuff (not including the galaxy tabs) I'll give it to apple, samsung blatantly copied a lot of stuff

but for the software side, it's just stupid, and Apple should never have even been allowed to patent half of it

Eh what I bet will happen is that Samsung and Apple enter a cross-licensing agreement.

Nope.. Apple's proposal was insane in the first place because they knew Samsung wouldn't accept it. Apple has zero reasons now to enter cross-licensing agreement with them. Not only that, but you can fully expect Apple going after everyone (but Microsoft) who uses these obvious and natural gestures and UI designs.

The only thing we can hope is that Google wins against Apple in the US with the latest lawsuit and bans all their products in US and forces Apple to cross-license everything at a reasonable terms. But that's doubtful it will happen.

Yep - but something tells me the per device cost of this agreement might have just gone up. Or Sansung have a significant re-engineering project to start.

NOT saying Apple bought the court, but wouldnt be the first time a court was bought. I kept up to date on this trial and Samsung made to many mistakes and really was unprepared.

Maybe Apple bought the Samsung lawyers? :laugh:

• Like 3

It is very strange that the Apple lawyers smiled as they entered the courtroom.. it's like they "knew" the verdict and had inside knowledge which should be actually illegal.