[BREAKING] Apple V. Samsung Jury reaches verdict.

The jury appears to have awarded damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE infringing ? $219,694 worth ? but didn't find that it had actually infringed anything.

A similar inconsistency exists for the Intercept, for which they'd awarded Apple over $2 million

Apparently the damages could be tripled (or at least up to) because of 'wilfulness'

4:55:08 PM PDT

Rather than simply having the monies removed, Apple is asking that the jury be allowed to revisit its infringement findings.

4:54:37 PM PDT

A similar inconsistency exists for the Intercept, for which they'd awarded Apple over $2 million.

4:53:13 PM PDT

The jury appears to have awarded damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 LTE infringing ? $219,694 worth ? but didn't find that it had actually infringed anything.

4:50:33 PM PDT

Judge Koh is back in the courtroom. There are at least two problems with the verdict form.

4:55:08 PM PDT

Rather than simply having the monies removed, Apple is asking that the jury be allowed to revisit its infringement findings.

4:54:37 PM PDT

A similar inconsistency exists for the Intercept, for which they'd awarded Apple over $2 million.

4:53:13 PM PDT

4:50:33 PM PDT

Judge Koh is back in the courtroom. There are at least two problems with the verdict form.

Just shows that most of the jury already had their minds set to give this to Apple and have just sweepingly given Apple money even on products that don't infringe. Sad really. Samsung really didn't have a chance.

So basically this what Apple won.. mind boggling

*snip*

Totally innovation :rolleyes:

Ya, because if Samsung had came up with the idea first, they wouldn't have patented it and then sued anyone who stole the idea :s

Blame the system, not the company that used it. It Apple hadn't patented it and then followed up any violations they would have been grossly negligent towards their shareholders

sadly, which is soo stupid, Apple is getting WAY TOO anti-competitive. whatever happened to breaking up overly large companies?

it happened to Microsoft at one point, why is it that Apple seems to be immune from this?

Microsoft was never broken up into smaller companies. That was one of the original goals but it was later dropped during the appeal process, IIRC.

Apple argues that based on the nuance of the language in the instructions this is a non-issue and both decisions can stand. Koh admits that she "is swayed" by Apple's argument.

Who cares where it was done first? Someone invented the steering wheel first but every car has one. Patents are idiotic.

Like other the components of an automobile, the steering wheel has a patent. So, if I were to make a car, and I just threw the traditional steering wheel in without license the patent, guess what happens to me? The US Justice system would Samsung me.

Just shows that most of the jury already had their minds set to give this to Apple and have just sweepingly given Apple money even on products that don't infringe. Sad really. Samsung really didn't have a chance.

Your team lost, so you start with the conspiracy theories. Color me surprised.

Samsung's statement:

Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer.

100% agree. Most of the world is throwing these patents out. it is indeed a loss for an American consumer.

Did they violate or is that the Apple Halo effect that made the jury think they didn't - disappointed in the result in a way.

It's sad that you think this is about teams.

It's about consumer choice and innovation. not teams.

• Like 2

No. It means that apple made a good point.

Just like Samsung could make a good point and sway her as well.

I don't know how anyone can be "swayed" by arguments someone invented a device with rounded corners and owns the rights to it.. but ok

As an apple fan I was swayed by what Samsung had to say being honest. They made some compelling notions in any of their counter arguments against Apple.

From what I can see the whole design of the iPhone might of been "obvious" which is a huge talking point but like most things obvious. It's only so after it;s been pointed out. How many inventions do you see on tv that are of that very nature until someone points it out to you??

It's about consumer choice and innovation. not teams.

Too bad that's not true on Neowin and various other sites/forums. Thread comes up about Google's plan to sue Apple, and suddenly everyone's on their feet goin "DO IT, DO IT!!"

How quickly the worry over consumer choice and innovation fades. :laugh:

I don't know how anyone can be "swayed" by arguments someone invented a device with rounded corners and owns the rights to it.. but ok

Look at the George Foreman grill, it's just a grill pointed downwards so the fat runs off, pretty obvious and basic but they have made billions of dollars from something like that and I believe it is patented or secured in some manner.

Fact is, Apple got there first and they spent many years and lots and lots of money to get there, Samsung could have been first but they were not.