• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

"Why I

MorganX    1,044

Well he does bring up some valid points. Such as the Charms bar having a "Share" option that has absolutely no function on the desktop. Things like that make me feel like Microsoft don't particularly care for the desktop experience. There are lots of little 'niggles' with 8 that start to build up and leave you feeling frustrated at times. I have found things like the 'replace file' dialog to be frustrating because they tell you nothing about the files in question. In windows 7 it shows you a comparison. In windows 8 it forces you to click an option to see the same dialog (why!?).

I buy that. There's also a problem of Metro apps keeping a file locked after it's closed. Read a PDF in the Metro PDF Viewer, close PDF viewer, and try to move or delete file in Desktop Environment. This is a major issue with RTM. There are issues, shutting down isn't one of them IMO.

PGHammer    1,482

Wow. That article is just filled with so much bad information that it's astounding. Anyone who attempts to point out ways to do what the author says cannot be done are met with ridicule.

I'm glad I don't ever go to that site.

In other words, it's TOO different - for him.

+Gary7    7,372

I will never put that POC on my machine. It stinks.

MikeChipshop    3,458

Go ahead and belittle him.. he is exactly how most of the mainstream users of windows are... precisely why windows 8 is epic failure

it matters not if you metrosexual college types can figure out how to work it....

Doesn't make the article any better.

Also, who exactly is this metro-sexual college type you talk about? Pretty sure most of the members here do not fit that stereotype, myself included.

rhianntp    55

Doesn't make the article any better.

Also, who exactly is this metro-sexual college type you talk about? Pretty sure most of the members here do not fit that stereotype, myself included.

you clearly don't have the common sense to know what I meant :)

MikeChipshop    3,458

you clearly don't have the common sense to know what I meant :)

You clearly don't have the ability to make yourself understood very well.

I'm taking it as a direct personal insult then am i oh mighty keyboard warrior?

If so, for god sake get a life and grow up.

BajiRav    2,137

Well he does bring up some valid points. Such as the Charms bar having a "Share" option that has absolutely no function on the desktop.

That is a valid point? is emailing or IMing a site URL not something you do on a desktop? :unsure:

Depicus    946

A lot of people couldn't figure out how to use the start button when it came out either...even with a big animation that bounced telling them to click it to start...and the mouse was ridiculed as a stupid invention that would never go anywhere, by some of the biggest names in the tech world. The GUI was a joke that was never going anywhere...

Rubbish, I do not remember anybody at the university labs I was in ever having problems with the start button. If you want to prove change always has it's opponents then this example was perhaps the worst to choose. Windows 95 was well received in the tech press, I cannot recall ever reading anything that said the start button was so difficult to use, especially as buttons had long been in 3.1 etc.

Not sure I saw the whole tech industry ridiculing the mouse or the GUI so doubt these as well.

notuptome2004    156

The Reality of things are tho is that Windows 95 to windows 7 we saw and evolved the start menu as much as it could have been evolved with windows 95 we saw the User experience Change in to something that was to hold ground for 17 years windows 95 to windows 7 saw a very consistent user experience throughout with little changes here and there but the navigation ( Start Menu) and piloting ( Microsoft Windows Team ) was the same Mind Set Keeping the user Experience the same . with windows 8 we have new pilots and new team that is molding what could become the next 17 year+ new user experience in how the user uses his system accesses information and gets information and as with windows 95 to windows 7 Windows from now on forward will evolve the new user experiences and make similar but different little changes up until the next Generation of Pilots ( windows team) 20 years from now takes over and starts from scratch again with User experience

50 years from now we will look back and Remember we right now will look back and Remember 2 things in the history of windows and that will be Windows 95 and the start of a more Modern experience but the new versions of us are Kids thew newborns Grand kids from then on wont remember those 2 things they will remember what Comes next After the Modern Experience What Happens Next in 50 years

Joswin    25

That is a valid point? is emailing or IMing a site URL not something you do on a desktop? :unsure:

Yes it is. Which is why its a valid point that that function of the charms bar does not work on the desktop. :huh:

---

Anyway. At the risk of continuing to sound negative towards Windows 8, I think the thing about 8 that I personally dislike the most is that I feel like I am dragged out of the desktop each time I go to open a new application (Unless I fancy throwing icons all over my taskbar and desktop).

Its jarring.I go from desktop, to full screen sea of blocks. It does not feel like its connected to what I was just doing at all.

It's like switching between two OS's except what I am doing in either of them sometimes influences the other. A metro app might take me to the desktop, and a desktop app might be linked to a metro one. Its the little things. And weird stuff like how we have two control panels now? One for metro and one for the Desktop. You cant change your metro start wallpaper from the desktop control panel, nor can you change colours or the lock screen wallpaper. You cant change your desktop theme colour from the metro control panel. Yet I can change and modify user accounts from both.

Still undecided. I find it unlikely that I will go back to 7 but depending on how next year goes I could well find myself being pushed to other platforms. Ones I have wanted to retry for a while.

• Like 1

scaramonga    202

Whether you agree that Windows 8 sucks or not, you've all got to agree that article was terrible.

No we do not have to agree with anything :)

Yes the article missed the point, and is badly written, but no matter what, I think its correct.

Knife Party    629

Yes the article was very unprofessional, but the criticisms raised were all valid. Metro apps, atleast the default ones installed have horrible and lacking functionality, some are slow, waste screen estate, hinder productivity by placing buttons and toolbars in obscure places. I mean if MS ships a RTM version of windows to millions of users at some point with such p^ss poor Metro apps to start off with, oh dear me, that speaks for Metro itself. Half the design choices made were half thought out, and irritate the user because things have been so unnecessarily moved to stupid places. Why does the search bar in start menu need 3 filters for searching? why isn't it integrated into one search bar? Why does half the Metro settings take me back to the control panel? whats the point in putting settings in both metro and control panel? where is the rationale behind that? why not put all settings and app configs in one place? Easily searchable via one filter, not apps, settings and files to confuse the user... There also is no need to learn different keystrokes for powering down and what not, most people don't care about that, they want a fluid and integrated experience where things are in one place as a conceptual basis, a design principle which MS lacks to adhere to, despite any change to the desktop, this is a consistency which MS sucks at. They are constantly moving things around jumping from one thing to another, they have no consistency and put little effort into building something up. Look at aero, they dropped it within such a short period, what's next? Metro is dropped after window 9 ? probably.

• Like 1

notuptome2004    156

Yes the article was very unprofessional, but the criticisms raised were all valid. Metro apps, atleast the default ones installed have horrible and lacking functionality, some are slow, waste screen estate, hinder productivity by placing buttons and toolbars in obscuring places. I mean if MS ships a RTM version of windows to millions of users at some point with such p^ss poor Metro apps to start off with, oh dear me, that speaks for Metro itself. Half the design choices made were half thought out, and irritate the user because things have been so unnecessarily moved to stupid placed. Why does the search bar in start menu need 3 filters for searching? why isn't it integrated into one search bar? Why does half the Metro settings take me back to the control panel? whats the point in putting settings in both metro and control panel? where is the rationale behind that? why not put all settings and app configs in one place? Easily searchable via one filter, not apps, settings and files to confuse the user... There also is no need to learn different keystrokes for powering down and what not, most people don't care about that, they want a fluid and integrated experience when things are in one place as a conceptual basis, despite any change to the desktop, this is a consistency which MS sucks at. They are constantly moving things around jumping from one thing to another, they have no consistency and put little effort into building something up. Look at aero, they dropped it within such a short period, what's next? Metro is dropped after window 9 ? probably.

Well if you include windows longhorn development from 2004 and up Windows Aero that is still in windows 8 just no glass look has been in windows for 8 years

shifts    13

I'm going to give windows 8 a shot to see what the experience is like. I was a PC user up till Vista and although the experience wasn't far off that from 98 (or 2000) it was enough to make try a Mac. When i started on the Mac path initially it was hard work. Things were different, not how you would expect things from windows 95. After many years later I'd like to see what windows 8 is really like.

Yes, I've heard all the points both good and bad, sure you can ALT tab, know keyboard shortcuts but is that stuff which is presented to a mainstream user. Someone who perhaps doesn't frequent forums, knows what google is but not how to google etc

Thankfully for me, in this instance, ignorance is bliss. Sure to me it looks like they shoe horned a windows mobile interface onto the big screen but that's how it looks not how it works etc

Right now the only concern I have is how my eye tracks the screen and what sticks out.

Win%208%20Feature%201.png

From the screen shot I can see why Paul Dean gets 2 tiles, and a picture of a baby gets 2 tiles but national Rail Also gets 2 tabs (tabs is just a name im using for reference) yet it;s an icon that doesn't appear to be live, in the sense of a windows mobile tile (hindsight perhaps tile is better than tab). Once things start getting all disproportioned doesn't that make for harder navigation?

Like I said at the start as a mac user but also a tech geek I can;t wait to get my hand on this and see what's up :D

Thingol    21

I totally agree with the author. Start screen, charm bar, hot corners. It is a complete disaster and must be some kind of joke. I have no intention to use this crap ever again.

+devHead    1,986

Well he does bring up some valid points. Such as the Charms bar having a "Share" option that has absolutely no function on the desktop. Things like that make me feel like Microsoft don't particularly care for the desktop experience. There are lots of little 'niggles' with 8 that start to build up and leave you feeling frustrated at times. I have found things like the 'replace file' dialog to be frustrating because they tell you nothing about the files in question. In windows 7 it shows you a comparison. In windows 8 it forces you to click an option to see the same dialog (why!?).

I'm of the same opinion. Both "Share" and frankly, "Devices" are pretty much useless when you're on the Desktop. Why couldn't the Charms bar be adaptive depending on what mode you're in? Heck, you could have replaced one of them with a "Power" option for shutting down while in Desktop mode. Or, make it configurable, so that one more 'Charm' could be added. Or something removed. The thing that irked me most with Windows 8 was that, with each new OS that Microsoft released, they always improved things for those who use the PC - Desktop or Laptop computer. Now, it's been designed first for whom? Tablet users, and many of the functions and ways of doing things were replaced to make it touch-centric first, then mouse-centric. It's like someone there realized, 'Hey, most computer users just use their PCs for Facebook, Twitter and Email, so we're not going to make it as functional for those who use their PCs for actual work or creation. Just consumption.' I understand Microsoft's reasoning, but I still felt like Windows 7 was the last OS made for just normal PC users.

Plus, I'm sorry, the stupid black 'metro' box that comes up for file association. I'm like, really? Why is this Metro thing on my desktop now? And even when Firefox is your default browser, email links and other links from the OS still open IE. But if you change that behavior, Immersive IE disappears completely from the Start screen. To me, that's like a Beta glitch that should have been caught and fixed.

• Like 2

Dot Matrix    7,436

So that is the attitude now? Cant click the hidden start screen? Uninstall Windows 8 because you are a horrible person!

I was on the phone once for 20 minutes trying to help a grandma find the start button on Windows XP. Even with the visual cue of the word "Start", she still could not find it.

Now we do not have visual cues, can you imagine how horrible support will be? You tell them to move to the bottom left of the screen to get to the start menu, but with no visual cues, they can be just a single pixel outside the hot corner detection box.

In terms of general users, you never want to make invisible menus or hidden panels for them to find. Some people absolutely need a visual cue to know where to go.

So, you're using an older user as a reference? What about all the younger users who are picking up technology before they can even read and write, and who have grown up with it, like myself? Just because your grandma doesn't know anything about computers, we have to suffer through holding on to legacy junk?

• Like 1

grayscale    236

Yes, I've heard all the points both good and bad, sure you can ALT tab, know keyboard shortcuts but is that stuff which is presented to a mainstream user. Someone who perhaps doesn't frequent forums, knows what google is but not how to google etc

The thing is, some people complain about window management in Windows 8 but it's still the same Alt+Tab that has been here for a very long time now. If a person doesn't know Alt+tab then how will not using Windows 8 help that person?

From the screen shot I can see why Paul Dean gets 2 tiles, and a picture of a baby gets 2 tiles but national Rail Also gets 2 tabs (tabs is just a name im using for reference) yet it;s an icon that doesn't appear to be live, in the sense of a windows mobile tile (hindsight perhaps tile is better than tab). Once things start getting all disproportioned doesn't that make for harder navigation?

The size of the tiles can be changed so you can make the picture of the baby or national rail to be bigger. There are applications, though, that are fixed into having small tiles.

grayscale    236

Plus, I'm sorry, the stupid black 'metro' box that comes up for file association. I'm like, really? Why is this Metro thing on my desktop now? And even when Firefox is your default browser, email links and other links from the OS still open IE. But if you change that behavior, Immersive IE disappears completely from the Start screen. To me, that's like a Beta glitch that should have been caught and fixed.

The file association appears after new installs and the first opening a particular filetype but I can see why its annoying :D

As for the browser, what links? I have Firefox as default and every link from Metro apps open in Firefox. As for the immersive ones, this is by design, iirc. Metro links will open on Metro browser. So when Metro Firefox arrives, it'll open on Metro firefox if you're on Metro but it has to have the option to just open all links on Desktop version. IE has that option. Chrome hasn't implemented it.

Joshie    914

This is all very simple to understand. You see, it's a gaming site, right? And Gabe doesn't like Windows 8.

Gabe has spoken. All gamers of the internet will unite behind him to spread the good word of Gabe. Gamers must not contradict Gabe, for he is Gabe, and Gabe is good.

So let it be written, so let it be upvoted.

scaramonga    202

Heads have to 'roll' for this at Microsoft, and I just bet those who came up with this mess are shaking in their boots, waiting for that 'call' to not come to work ever again, you know? Quite right, and 'Ballmer' should be one of them.

Shane Nokes    739

In other words, it's TOO different - for him.

No, in other words he's rude and not willing to listen to anyone who tells him ways he can do exactly what he says cannot be done. He has things that he claims are not possible. People point out that it is and they get jumped in the comments. It's ridiculous.

+devHead    1,986

The file association appears after new installs and the first opening a particular filetype but I can see why its annoying :D

As for the browser, what links? I have Firefox as default and every link from Metro apps open in Firefox. As for the immersive ones, this is by design, iirc. Metro links will open on Metro browser. So when Metro Firefox arrives, it'll open on Metro firefox if you're on Metro but it has to have the option to just open all links on Desktop version. IE has that option. Chrome hasn't implemented it.

Email links would open in IE, and when I finally went into File Associations and adjusted it (there were certain links that still opened in IE) to point to Firefox, Metro IE disappeared from everywhere.

Nothing Here    450

A load of bull dookie. This guy needs to uninstall his damn brain.

Ravensky    632

Windows 8 - HELLO to the new Vista!!! Have fun when your **** doesn't work right and you have spend a **** ton of money to upgrade your software and hardware to make it work down the road, and all the hours you are going to spend tweaking it to be just like windows 7, which you should have left on your computer in the first place. Now there is the "Windows 8 is faster" crowd, well of course it's faster it doesn't do anything because they took all the cool **** out of it...

Oh yeah. and that old sound card that worked perfect for 5:1 or 7:1 surround sound in Windows 7 finally after 2 years of driver updates, well you will be waiting about that long for the Windows 8 driver that will work just as well... I am going to pass, recommend my entire family passes especially the elderly members, god how do you explain to an old person how to shut it down? O_o Oh yeah my work place will not have it either, power in being the IT Manager. Windows 8 the new Fischer Price toy of computing, looks awesome until you get it out of the box...Enjoy your crap OS!