"Why I

Great article and mirrors my thoughts about Windows 8 to the letter.

Ok, but how is a factually incorrect article full of easily debunked (multiple times in this thread alone) information great?

Ok, but how is a factually incorrect article full of easily debunked (multiple times in this thread alone) information great?

Because it matches his thoughts to the letter. :rofl:

just a fast 1 if u cant use the new options in windows 8 go back to 7 and smash your xbox 360 because everything going to get it weather we like it or not

just a fast 1 if u cant use the new options in windows 8 go back to 7 and smash your xbox 360 because everything going to get it weather we like it or not

What's the "weather" got to do with whether or not we'd like it??

The article in itself is a reflection not only of the perceived inadequacies of an OS that should be getting easier to use, but also delivers commentary from people who are au fait when it comes to these matters and also do not like what MS is putting on their plates!

• Like 2

But he most probably only has the 64 bit Windows. If he had installed 32 bit Windows 8 like I have got, he would not have found it slow.But he probably did not know that either.

:huh: ?

He said that the charms bar is unusable. Well I did not find it so. And you can now disable the charms bar in the latest version of Classic Shell. But as I have the Windows XP start menu on Windows 8. I hardly ever use the charms bar. Which is just a shortcut to the Metro start menu. Andrea Borman.

But you just proved the point while trying to disprove it.

Also what the bleep is the point of installing a new OS only to have to install a number of tweaks and hacks to get the functionality back that you had in the last one?

If you have to hack bits back in the return your work flow then something is obviously very wrong here.

I am still not convinced, and I have the exact opposite of what most people accuse Windows 8 'haters' of having. An open mind. I am trying to like Windows 8, and have been using it a number of weeks now.

• Like 3

I read that article. And what he said about the Metro theme. Well he obviously did not know that he could install Classic Shell or Start Menu 7.Then Windows 8 would have booted straight to the desktop. And he would have had the start button and Windows 7 start menu.And he would not have had to deal with the Metro theme very much.

And secondly,you don't have to use the Metro apps. You can use all of the non Metro software that you use on Windows 7,on Windows 8. I don't have any Metro apps on my Windows 8,I uninstalled them. Because they don't work on a netbook.

So I have never used a Metro app. But I don't miss them. As Windows 8 is running all of my Windows 7 and Windows XP software. And it runs all of the old Windows 98 and Windows 95 software.

** But he most probably only has the 64 bit Windows. If he had installed 32 bit Windows 8 like I have got, he would not have found it slow.But he probably did not know that either. :huh: What?? **

Windows 8 for me is like Windows 7. Not as fast as Windows 7. But once you install the start menu software like Classic Shell. You can work the same way that you are used to on Windows 7 or Windows XP. Andrea Borman.

You do know that what you said/wrote, is an utterly fallacious argument!

The author of that article is an idiot. He's gotten this completely wrong.

No, he's right that it's designed and presented that way conceptually (even if not implemented that way technically). He is however wrong that you'd have to open the desktop before opening Steam (you could just open it directly from its own tile).

Can you imagine when this thing is released to the general public...???

I don't think general consumers will have a problem. They will be happy to not click on Desktop on their all-in-one touch PC or tablet. Somewhat experienced users who live in the Desktop environment will have severe irritations.

Windows 8 - HELLO to the new Vista!!! Have fun when your **** doesn't work right and you have spend a **** ton of money to upgrade your software and hardware to make it work down the road, and all the hours you are going to spend tweaking it to be just like windows 7, which you should have left on your computer in the first place. Now there is the "Windows 8 is faster" crowd, well of course it's faster it doesn't do anything because they took all the cool **** out of it...

Oh yeah. and that old sound card that worked perfect for 5:1 or 7:1 surround sound in Windows 7 finally after 2 years of driver updates, well you will be waiting about that long for the Windows 8 driver that will work just as well... I am going to pass, recommend my entire family passes especially the elderly members, god how do you explain to an old person how to shut it down? O_o Oh yeah my work place will not have it either, power in being the IT Manager. Windows 8 the new Fischer Price toy of computing, looks awesome until you get it out of the box...Enjoy your crap OS!

Everything seems to work fine on my computer. No issues with any software yet. Not need to upgrade either, since everything works.

I don't think general consumers will have a problem. They will be happy to not click on Desktop on their all-in-one touch PC or tablet. Somewhat experienced users who live in the Desktop environment will have severe irritations.

I'm an experienced user and live in the Desktop 90%+ of the time, and I have no irritations at all. Most of the apps I use are pinned, and I very very rarely go into Metro.

When there are more quality apps available though, I'm sure that percentage will fall. Especially when replace my iPad with a Surface.

I am for the most part happy with windows 8 however the start screen is a bit clumsy with mouse and keyboard and lack of a start menu is an a annoyance but its not to bad once set up your start screen how you like. The performance boost is nice and the desktop changes are great aside from the removal of the start menu. However i hope over time they they make usability tweaks to the start screen to make it more pleasant to use with a keyboard and mouse.

I think things will go alright when windows 8 launches it will fuel a tablet and hybrid pc explosion however desktop sales will probably lag behind. With programs like start8 and classic shell to please power users on desktops and most OEMs will likely will follow Samsungs route and include a start menu with non touch devices to keep confusion to a minimum for consumers and to please large corporations.

I'm an experienced user and live in the Desktop 90%+ of the time, and I have no irritations at all. Most of the apps I use are pinned, and I very very rarely go into Metro.

When there are more quality apps available though, I'm sure that percentage will fall. Especially when replace my iPad with a Surface.

Not all will but many. The more you use Metro & desktop, the more issues. The more Metro apps you use, the more insufficient the app bar becomes. Leaving Metro apps open causes issues with using the app bar once you have several open when switching between apps. Having the Desktop be another app on the bar can add to the silliness sometimes. Irritations, not necessarily showstoppers. Over time it's clear it was designed for tablets.

The good side is I'm using a few more Metro apps. The Goals is interesting, Trackage is great! Mostly, it's games, and I will keep playing Metro games, lol. eBay monitor and message notification is nice as well. I didn't notice how annoying some of it is until I started using more Metro apps. The random quits don't help either. Since everything is an app??? Hopefully a lot of this can be fixed quickly. I think the Store itself needs an update and many Metro apps that should bring up IE, don't. Might be because desktop IE is my default. If so, that's an issue.

It will be nice when they add Windowing to Metro and get rid of the dual personality. Having said that, I can see if an app is designed properly, being snapped can be used quite effectively.

Can you imagine when this thing is released to the general public...???

Seeing how they've had little quarrels now, they won't have many quarrels when it is released. The majority of tech users (aged 30 and below) know what's coming. Again, the Windows 95 paradigm is dead. Windows 9 will be an evolution of Windows 8.

Seeing how they've had little quarrels now, they won't have many quarrels when it is released. The majority of tech users (aged 30 and below) know what's coming. Again, the Windows 95 paradigm is dead. Windows 9 will be an evolution of Windows 8.

~yawn~

Guess we'll see..... but if microturd ever wants to sell a new os to business, it had better not be taking advice from you.... :woot: :laugh:

~yawn~

Guess we'll see..... but if microturd ever wants to sell a new os to business, it had better not be taking advice from you.... :woot: :laugh:

You're one to speak.

@TCLN Ryster Have you tried to grab and drag something at top of your desktop and accidentally started closing the desktop environment? :D Just little annoyances.

I've been told that, WIN8 is a step forward. I have to ask how? we got away from the desktop GUI and now are forced to utilize key combos to work in win8.

I just think Microsoft wants to throw this out there in hopes of capturing innovation and try and set a standard. This will backfire.

:huh: ?

But you just proved the point while trying to disprove it.

Also what the bleep is the point of installing a new OS only to have to install a number of tweaks and hacks to get the functionality back that you had in the last one?

If you have to hack bits back in the return your work flow then something is obviously very wrong here.

I am still not convinced, and I have the exact opposite of what most people accuse Windows 8 'haters' of having. An open mind. I am trying to like Windows 8, and have been using it a number of weeks now.

open mind... I used win 8 for awhile and got down alot of jist of things. However, based on what I'm used to, this is alot like the war in Afghanistan. a quagmire..

I've been told that, WIN8 is a step forward. I have to ask how? we got away from the desktop GUI and now are forced to utilize key combos to work in win8.

Because as the role of the PC expands (Tablet devices, HTPCs, kiosks, etc), emphasis of the desktop makes less sense. Heck, I don't even really need it on my laptop. I can sit comfortably in OneNote MX and have IE MX docked to the side of the screen for quick access during school.

With Windows 8, we finally have a UI that can take advantage of new technologies, and and fit itself to multiple devices, without becoming a burden on the user.

Because as the role of the PC expands (Tablet devices, HTPCs, kiosks, etc), emphasis of the desktop makes less sense. Heck, I don't even really need it on my laptop. I can sit comfortably in OneNote MX and have IE MX docked to the side of the screen for quick access during school.

With Windows 8, we finally have a UI that can take advantage of new technologies, and and fit itself to multiple devices, without becoming a burden on the user.

You are talking about a different type of operating system though. With my job, emphasis of the desktop WILL NEVER CHANGE. Why does a server admin need the new UI by default? Why isnt there an option to boot directly to the desktop in at least the server version?

When a new OS is said to take advantage of new technologies, I expect it to work better with useful technologies for EVERYONE. Multithreading and multicore, SSD trim support, and others (from Windows XP to Windows 7 for example). Support for touch does not benefit me. I have no intention of ever getting touch interface on my desktops or laptops.

I am sorry I do not blindly accept everything Microsoft ever does. With my job, keyboard and mouse will ALWAYS be the best option.

Why is it so hard to have a freaking option on install/first boot? You win. I win. If I am in the new metro interface, I should NOT see aero. If I am on the desktop, I should NOT see metro. Right now is it like somebody with multiple personalities.

I have no need and gain no benefits of the start screen. It is irritating to me, and I am not the type of person to sit there for hours staring at the "live tiles". They have no benefits. So you tell me to delete all the metro apps and install third party apps to regain the functionality I use on a daily basis in Windows 7. No thanks, I would rather use Windows 7 without clogging up my installs with third party stuff.

You are talking about a different type of operating system though. With my job, emphasis of the desktop WILL NEVER CHANGE. Why does a server admin need the new UI by default? Why isnt there an option to boot directly to the desktop in at least the server version?

First, never say never. I'm sure IT folk said the same thing when the Mainframe/Terminal disappeared, and the GUI killed the CLI. Not to mention, business laughed at the mouse when it first appeared too, now look. They're laughing at touch now, but I can guarantee you, it'll start to work its way into businesses soon enough.

When a new OS is said to take advantage of new technologies, I expect it to work better with useful technologies for EVERYONE. Multithreading and multicore, SSD trim support, and others (from Windows XP to Windows 7 for example). Support for touch does not benefit me. I have no intention of ever getting touch interface on my desktops or laptops.

Last time I checked, it is working for everyone. It's not fair to those who want to use touch or any other of the new I/O tech on the desktop to be forced to use an outdated UI paradigm. The role of the PC is advancing, but being hindered by the OS. It's time for the OS to advance too.

If you don't want touch, the desktop is still there, so there are no issues here.

I am sorry I do not blindly accept everything Microsoft ever does. With my job, keyboard and mouse will ALWAYS be the best option.

Again, never say never.

Why is it so hard to have a freaking option on install/first boot? You win. I win. If I am in the new metro interface, I should NOT see aero. If I am on the desktop, I should NOT see metro. Right now is it like somebody with multiple personalities.

Few things here, you start adding in UI options, and support goes straight to Hell. You're running Windows 8, ok, now are you running in classic mode, or are you running in the new mode? Plus, I can guarantee Windows 8 is just the start. Windows 9, will be more Modern, less classic. Switching over helps clean the OS of legacy code that just shouldn't be there anymore.

I have no need and gain no benefits of the start screen. It is irritating to me, and I am not the type of person to sit there for hours staring at the "live tiles". They have no benefits. So you tell me to delete all the metro apps and install third party apps to regain the functionality I use on a daily basis in Windows 7. No thanks, I would rather use Windows 7 without clogging up my installs with third party stuff.

Than stick to Windows 7. No, seriously. But just be aware that Modern isn't going away. You can wish it all you want, but there are huge benefits to it, even on the desktop, and live tiles are one. You might not think they are beneficial, but to me they are. On my screen, I have my calendar, social updates, and mail updates all at a glance, They update without me having to waste system resources and time opening up each app or have it running in the background. I can get weather alerts, again without having to open the app.

First, never say never. I'm sure IT folk said the same thing when the Mainframe/Terminal disappeared, and the GUI killed the CLI. Not to mention, business laughed at the mouse when it first appeared too, now look. They're laughing at touch now, but I can guarantee you, it'll start to work its way into businesses soon enough.

Last time I checked, it is working for everyone. It's not fair to those who want to use touch or any other of the new I/O tech on the desktop to be forced to use an outdated UI paradigm. The role of the PC is advancing, but being hindered by the OS. It's time for the OS to advance too.

If you don't want touch, the desktop is still there, so there are no issues here.

Again, never say never.

Few things here, you start adding in UI options, and support goes straight to Hell. You're running Windows 8, ok, now are you running in classic mode, or are you running in the new mode? Plus, I can guarantee Windows 8 is just the start. Windows 9, will be more Modern, less classic. Switching over helps clean the OS of legacy code that just shouldn't be there anymore.

Than stick to Windows 7. No, seriously. But just be aware that Modern isn't going away. You can wish it all you want, but there are huge benefits to it, even on the desktop, and live tiles are one. You might not think they are beneficial, but to me they are. On my screen, I have my calendar, social updates, and mail updates all at a glance, They update without me having to waste system resources and time opening up each app or have it running in the background. I can get weather alerts, again without having to open the app.

I highly doubt touch will replace mouse/keyboard....ever. I do not want to program for 8 hours a day with my hands up in the air. I do not want to have to select a portion of the code by having to select it on the monitor. I do not want to work on photoshop where touch is not as precise as a mouse is. I do not want to type a 20 page paper with my hands in the air.

You cannot honestly believe the mouse/keyboard will be replaced by touch in graphic design and programming.

Few things here, you start adding in UI options, and support goes straight to Hell....

I am sorry, don't we already have this situation? Two control panels, two internet explorers, two different interfaces. We are already there. An option will not suddenly make Windows 8 impossible to support. All it will do is make the start screen not appear right away. Why is that so bloody hard to do? It saves us (the people that work on the desktop environment) an extra step. It does not make it suddenly harder to support, because once a user clicks Desktop, they are in the same situation. Explain how an option to avoid the start screen on boot makes it harder to support? When I boot into Windows 7, the start menu is not open by default. I do not want the start screen to be open by default either.

How can you think Live Tiles are beneficial? Do you sit staring at the start screen just waiting for something to update? Probably not, you are probably doing something else. I do not see how live tiles can be beneficial. Everything they do has been done for years. New emails? Outlook has provided little popups when you get a new email for years. New messages? Windows Live Messenger and other IM clients have provided little popups when you receive a new message for years. Weather? I would rather look out the window thanks.