Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

I was very happy with it as well,

and just like other folks i like that they are eluding to that fact that so far 2 characters have have been to tahiti and its not actually tahiti.

Honestly, everything about this looks like such a relict from the past, something that belongs to network television of the 90's. It's especially noticeable since we're living in the golden age of serialized dramas, and ultimately, the dusk of television as we know it. And the split between network TV and cable (and post cable producers like Netflix) has never been noticeable as it is right now, with such great content produced for latter (just look at Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, such a clear vision as to how the story should be told with a precise beginning, middle and end, and such focus and dedication), and the network TVs really struggling to adjust to this new world.

So what do they do? Instead of trying to produce quality content with at least some artistic freedom, they concentrate heavily on brand recognition (note how much they focus on MARVEL here) and pre-existing titles the audiences are familiar with (Hannibal, Sleepy Hollow...), in a desperate move to stay competitive. Those are such Hollywood tactics -- if the movie flops, reboot it in a couple of years, if it doesn't, make a sequel -- but unlike Holywood which is as mainstream as it gets, the audiences here have a choice, with Netflix and cable TV providing much higher quality content with such convenience and availability.

Honestly, I don't see this crap lasting more than a season and I don't know why anyone would waste their time with much better things out there. Of course, I'm basing this on these trailers and clips only (awful acting, uninteresting premise, no clear concept in sight), and I might be wrong, but damn, is network TV struggling or what, and I know you should never be glad about someone failing, but damn, if it isn't well deserved, too.

• Like 3

I thought the pilot was pretty decent.  I think it'll take some time for it to find it's groove, but it definitely has promise...  I hope this is the end of extremis though, I'm really getting bored of it to be honest...

Honestly, everything about this looks like such a relict from the past, something that belongs to network television of the 90's. It's especially noticeable since we're living in the golden age of serialized dramas, and ultimately, the dusk of television as we know it. And the split between network TV and cable (and post cable producers like Netflix) has never been noticeable as it is right now, with such great content produced for latter (just look at Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones, such a clear vision as to how the story should be told with a precise beginning, middle and end, and such focus and dedication), and the network TVs really struggling to adjust to this new world.

So what do they do? Instead of trying to produce quality content with at least some artistic freedom, they concentrate heavily on brand recognition (note how much they focus on MARVEL here) and pre-existing titles the audiences are familiar with (Hannibal, Sleepy Hollow...), in a desperate move to stay competitive. Those are such Hollywood tactics -- if the movie flops, reboot it in a couple of years, if it doesn't, make a sequel -- but unlike Holywood which is as mainstream as it gets, the audiences here have a choice, with Netflix and cable TV providing much higher quality content with such convenience and availability.

Honestly, I don't see this crap lasting more than a season and I don't know why anyone would waste their time with much better things out there. Of course, I'm basing this on these trailers and clips only (awful acting, uninteresting premise, no clear concept in sight), and I might be wrong, but damn, is network TV struggling or what, and I know you should never be glad about someone failing, but damn, if it isn't well deserved, too.

I agree with this completely. The episodic network TV drama just seems like an obsolete concept now with shows like Breaking Bad, Homeland, etc. raising the bar so high.

tumblr_mtoltrqBgl1qaybgdo3_500.gif

tumblr_mtoltrqBgl1qaybgdo2_500.gif

tumblr_mtoltrqBgl1qaybgdo1_500.gif

:rofl:

That was one of the worst moments in the episode. It's still a clich?, it's just they're drawing attention to it. :no:

When you have shows like Breaking Bad, Arrow and Continuum it's hard to go back to dross like this. I can't stress enough how bad the acting was in the pilot - too many of the characters were really wooden, including Coulsen. The entire thing came across like they were trying too hard, with so many of the scenes clearly designed for cheap laughs and/or to use in trailers.

To be honest, I much prefer the Avengers Assemble cartoon.

That was one of the worst moments in the episode. It's still a clich?, it's just they're drawing attention to it. :no:

When you have shows like Breaking Bad, Arrow and Continuum it's hard to go back to dross like this. I can't stress enough how bad the acting was in the pilot - too many of the characters were really wooden, including Coulsen. The entire thing came across like they were trying too hard, with so many of the scenes clearly designed for cheap laughs and/or to use in trailers.

To be honest, I much prefer the Avengers Assemble cartoon.

You know, not everything has to be dark and serious. Agents of SHIELD is supposed to be a fun thing that you can just watch and have fun with it. 

You know, not everything has to be dark and serious. Agents of SHIELD is supposed to be a fun thing that you can just watch and have fun with it. 

I never said it did. In fact I was a huge fan of Stargate SG-1 and Firefly, which were both very lighthearted. The problem is that it tries too hard to be funny and clever but just doesn't have the writing or cast to pull it off. Iron Man 3 and The Avengers both had cheesy moments but they really pulled it off, yet there just wasn't anything compelling about this.

It might develop but the pilot wasn't as compelling as that of series like Smallville, Battlestar Galactica, Fringe or Eureka. In fact I think Eureka makes a good comparison, as it had a quirky and humorous style to it but had much higher production quality, better acting and a much stronger cast.

Was ok, kinder liked 2 other shows that came out better to be honest (3rd episode of sons and new season of Chicago Fire)

I think the over the top jokes/banter kinder ruined it for me.. heard it before but other then that, i will keep watching. Hopefully it picks up.

Plus everyone is going to be thinking this, are we going to see any cameo's from the bigger stars, Iron Man/Thor/Hulk etc.

Plus everyone is going to be thinking this, are we going to see any cameo's from the bigger stars, Iron Man/Thor/Hulk etc.

If it lasts more than a few seasons, maybe... so probably not.

The first episode was great! Looking forward to the next one. Also, the CGI actually looked on par with the movies. You don't see that very often with first episodes/seasons of series .

They already stated that they won't

This just won't last long IMO.  I didn't think it was anything special really.  They're banking on all the people who went and saw Avengers to watch this I bet but I just don't see it, 2 seasons tops unless the ratings surprise us.

The first episode was great! Looking forward to the next one. Also, the CGI actually looked on par with the movies. You don't see that very often with first episodes/seasons of series .

Its common for series to blow their load budget-wise on the pilot.

Its common for series to blow their load budget-wise on the pilot.

That's what I mean though, I haven't seen this quality in pilot episodes lately. I thought it was due to Joss Whedon and Marvel and that it was going to be this quality for the whole season. We'll see though.

This just won't last long IMO.  I didn't think it was anything special really.  They're banking on all the people who went and saw Avengers to watch this I bet but I just don't see it, 2 seasons tops unless the ratings surprise us.

You can't really blame them for doing that. It has Coulson in it so they can't really ignore what happened in the Avengers.

Personally I wasn't impressed - the car at the end was particularly poor. Then again I thought the CGI in The Avengers, Thor and Man Of Steel was weak in comparison to the more subtle approach employed by the Batman trilogy. All too often CGI is used instead of creative directing. I mean, Serenity did better with a fraction of the budget than the Star Wars prequels did with their gratuitous use of CGI.