Aero-Glass Effect on Windows 8 RTM, by Re-instating the Aero Source Codes

I wonder if this is real or fake. If it was real why didn't the guy release the files right away or give instructions?

According to the guy's post, he said "I shall try to enable the color settings function in the control panel(maybe he meant the personalization panel) and expect to upload the install packs in next week". I guess he managed to make aero-glass work and need some more time to finsih it up.

The guy is trustworthy, he had never faked or trolled. :)

According to the guy's post, he said "I shall try to enable the color settings function in the control panel(maybe he meant the personalization panel) and expect to upload the install packs in next week". I guess he managed to make aero-glass work and need some more time to finsih it up.

The guy is trustworthy, he had never faked or trolled. :)

His screenshot was taken from build 8888, but that hasn't ever been leaked?

You want Aero? Keep 7, Ignore 8

Keep it simple, Stupid!

I want ribbons, fast boot, hyper-v, and terminal services server. I also want aero.

fast boot
To be fair, fast boot is way overrated. First it does not apply to system restarts (and if you try to force fast boot on a restart, via a direct API call, it hangs the restart, so yes, it really doesn't work on reboots). Second, it's basically hibernate. In fact, by default, the hibernate option is not present in the UI, in favor of fast boot. Fast boot is essentially identical to "log off and then hibernate". Finally, it's a buggy bugger. During my fast boot tests, about a third of the time, I get a hang during a subsequent restart or normal shutdown.

In the end, I disabled fast boot (and put hibernate back into the shutdown UI). Sleep is still the best, and if I really need my power off, hibernate is better--why bother with a logoff and logon? Unless you also want to refresh your system. In which case, a full restart would do a far better job in terms of restoring stability.

To be fair, fast boot is way overrated. First it does not apply to system restarts (and if you try to force fast boot on a restart, via a direct API call, it hangs the restart, so yes, it really doesn't work on reboots). Second, it's basically hibernate. In fact, by default, the hibernate option is not present in the UI, in favor of fast boot. Fast boot is essentially identical to "log off and then hibernate". Finally, it's a buggy bugger. During my fast boot tests, about a third of the time, I get a hang during a subsequent restart or normal shutdown.

In the end, I disabled fast boot (and put hibernate back into the shutdown UI). Sleep is still the best, and if I really need my power off, hibernate is better--why bother with a logoff and logon? Unless you also want to refresh your system. In which case, a full restart would do a far better job in terms of restoring stability.

True. Let's just say I'm too lazy to do the two step process, log off, then hibernate, but I don't really like to stay logged on eternally. You're right, though, that fast boot is totally overrated, especially considering how fast 7 boots wth and SSD.

especially considering how fast 7 boots wth and SSD.
I think the biggest boost in boot time for W8 is that OEM-preloaded versions now require UEFI, and UEFI is bloody fast with POST.

My Windows 7 system has UEFI and a SSD, and it takes under 10s to go from the press of power button to desktop; the boot animation doesn't even get to finish. :) Windows 8, when clean booting, takes a comparable amount of time--nothing that I'd notice unless I had a stopwatch. And, well, I reboot only once every few months, anyway, preferring to sleep instead. (I review each month's security advisories and don't bother to install and incur the reboot unless there's a vulnerability that scares me, which actually happens quite rarely--most of the monthly patches are for things like elevation of privilege of a logged-on user; truly dangerous things like arbitrary remote code execute is actually pretty uncommon.)

Nothing. He was from MS China and said he tries to add back the source codes for Aero which doesn't sound that promising. I doubt anyone outside of Redmond has access to Windows source code. Dunno, maybe he just has replaced the dll files from earlier build.

I wonder what he has done. Copied the needed DLL's and installed the service from earlier build that still had Aero Glass?

He's "installing" the "source code". Sounds like a load of bull**** to me.

This. Anyway, should just wait a few months, there's going to be a bunch of W8 themes. Sure, it won't have Aero Glass but the themers will find ways to make Windows 8 attractive for those who don't like the default theme.

Edit: Uh, well, I'll be damned. He Someone else released something. It seems to be VERY buggy though, not worth it so far.

Assuming he writes in Chinese natively, I'm assuming his sentence got a bit flowery in translation.

This. Anyway, should just wait a few months, there's going to be a bunch of W8 themes. Sure, it won't have Aero Glass but the themers will find ways to make Windows 8 attractive for those who don't like the default theme.

Edit: Uh, well, I'll be damned. He Someone else released something. It seems to be VERY buggy though, not worth it so far.

That's originated from : http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/158331-aero-glass-for-windows-8-rtm

It's a win7 explorer franken-build by using patchex7 from MDL, infested with a lot of bugs.

I got it working a few days ago, it's not that hard to do but it's buggy as hell and unusable for daily use (login&logout screens are black and random dwm chrashes etc)

I've already started theming ^^ and some of my friends too who're i n the theming scene :p

I've already started theming ^^ and some of my friends too who're i n the theming scene :p

Yeah, I saw your minimal theme a few days ago, really like it. I even installed W8 to just see it in action. :p

Sadly until I get a new graphics card I'll probably be staying on W7 unless AMD decides to release a half decent driver for "legacy" cards.

Getting rid of the glass is the best thing MS did in Win8

Go back to your glossy gray aluminum gel water OSX UI, and stop trolling the people who actually want an option to not have their eyes burned out.

Yeah, I saw your minimal theme a few days ago, really like it. I even installed W8 to just see it in action. :p

Sadly until I get a new graphics card I'll probably be staying on W7 unless AMD decides to release a half decent driver for "legacy" cards.

Nvidia ftw :p

Getting rid of the glass is the best thing MS did in Win8

I wouldn't be so bothered by it if it didn't disable border roundings that much :/