Thoughts: Windows 8 should have eliminated the legacy right click menu.

Ryoken

This is a bad idea..

The Start Screen is already a pain making what used to be small movements of a mouse, into completely crossing the screen, and sometimes more if you need to scroll..

The idea that increasing speed.. the faster tracking the worse precision. Anyone who does work with their mouse will be driven nuts..

Noir Angel

That doesn't look modern at all, it just wastes screen space and costs usability and time. Plus it would make working in applications that require intricacy like Hammer and Photoshop extraordinarily annoying and difficult.

• Like 1
phailyoor

I know this increases travel time,[snip]

That means it's worse. Not just different. Worse in a definite, quantifiable, and undeniable way. It doesn't matter if it's just a few hundred milliseconds worse. IT IS STILL WORSE. PERIOD.

I am just as productive on Win8 as I am on Win7, and the desktop is unchanged. So, define "everything" for me please...

Actually, you probably mean ALMOST as productive. Maybe you don't notice the productivity loss, but it's there.

• Like 1
Dot Matrix

That doesn't look modern at all, it just wastes screen space and costs usability and time. Plus it would make working in applications that require intricacy like Hammer and Photoshop extraordinarily annoying and difficult.

Third party apps would still work the same. This would just be for Explorer. There's no way Microsoft could replace third party functionality.

Noir Angel

Newsflash: Most third party applications still use native Windows menus.

+Ely

Look at the level of craziness generated by the removal of the start menu, I could only imagine the reaction to what you are suggesting lol, people would have raised up in arms and attack Microsoft headquarters :D

• Like 1
excalpius

The right mouse button is the "power options" button. It's what was painfully missing from Apple's OS and is an elegant way of separating the men from the boys (aka the novice from the advanced users).

Only an imbecile would recommend taking Windows even more decades back in usability and functionality.

• Like 1
Dashel

Laptops are also getting special touch drivers pretty soon.

Edge swipes will not magically turn a 'slow mouse' into a digitizer.

Wouldn't that be an inconsistency, since right-click is used to activate the app bar and not the charms bar in Metro apps? It would be like a Start button that only appears on the desktop.

Agreed. Not only is the idea terrible, its inconsistent. We get it Dot, you are a mousing cripple.

+warwagon

They already dumbed windows down so much, that it just got an invitation to the special Olympics!

So I think we should leave context menu's alone.

• Like 8
Arceles

They already dumbed windows down so much, that it just got an invitation to the special Olympics!

So I think we should leave context menu's alone.

3/10 warwagon's scale, made me laugh :D (paraolimpics btw)

remixedcat

Not so if you're on a laptop with a touchpad. Hence the app bars are a pain to use on a laptop. Depending on your sensitivity and speed settings, crossing the screen takes two finger swipes across the touchpad.

It was the same with a trackball mouse too...

I got a Logitech Marble Mouse

Some of us have either customized and/or added on various shell extensions that really make that context menu rather large,

I use the mp3tag and DBPoweramp context menus all the time... I NEED those.

• Like 1
myxomatosis

Gladly Dot Matrix, you?re not a design engineer at Microsoft. They?ve already dumbed down Windows too much?. no need to make it even more "Fisher Price"? You know, there is still people doing real work with their computer and aren?t interested in playing around with multicolour tiles?

• Like 3
+warwagon

I always thought there was something wrong with Dot matrix for loving windows 8 so much, this thread proves it! :D

• Like 2
+devHead

Yeah, click, and then move my mouse over to the left side of the screen and click something else over there. That's real effective. They need to return the right click menu to the Start screen instead of pretending like everyone using Windows 8 has a touch device.

Arceles

I always thought there was something wrong with Dot matrix for loving windows 8 so much, this thread proves it! :D

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that either DotMatrix is a microsoft PR Employee or a extremely attached person to anything microsoft says, that, combined with the fact that he has so much time to argue in favor to win8 makes me wonder a lot of things. //offtopic off.

• Like 3
PGHammer

Gladly Dot Matrix, you?re not a design engineer at Microsoft. They?ve already dumbed down Windows too much?. no need to make it even more "Fisher Price"? You know, there is still people doing real work with their computer and aren?t interested in playing around with multicolour tiles?

Here I respectfully *disagree* with Dot Matrix, but agree with warwagon.

However, don't rejoice, critics - the difference between the Start menu and the right-mouse button is that Windows 8 actually *added* functionality there (QuickTask, which is a true power user's toolkit, is only accessible via the right-mouse button/right-trackpad button).

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that either DotMatrix is a microsoft PR Employee or a extremely attached person to anything microsoft says, that, combined with the fact that he has so much time to argue in favor to win8 makes me wonder a lot of things. //offtopic off.

Not - I simply think he prefers using a trackpad (common on portables) or touch to mice; some folks absolutely HATE mice (computer sort, as opposed to the ones that eat cheese).

Arceles

Not - I simply think he prefers using a trackpad (common on portables) or touch to mice; some folks absolutely HATE mice (computer sort, as opposed to the ones that eat cheese).

Well, if you see the "show your workstations" thread you can see that he indeed has a mouse. So... if what you say were true and he would indeed follow this guidelines he indeed wouldn't have mouse at all. Also, seeing the fact that you see a normal behavior in him makes me wonder...

There... attached screenshot

testfm.jpg

PGHammer

Yeah, click, and then move my mouse over to the left side of the screen and click something else over there. That's real effective. They need to return the right click menu to the Start screen instead of pretending like everyone using Windows 8 has a touch device.

And what about Windows 8 (or 7, for that matter) tablets, slates, or even laptops and notebooks with non-responsive (or even unsupported) trackpads?

Here's one area where Dot and I disagree - however, I can understand why the idea needed to be bruited (at least for tablets any touch-first *hardware* platform).

Unlike the Start menu, which (in my opinion) is about as useful to a power user, even a power mouser, as tonsils or the appendix, right-click not only is still useful on Windows 8's desktop, how else can you get to QuickTask (the power user's menu) without it?

Well, if you see the "show your workstations" thread you can see that he indeed has a mouse. So... if what you say were true and he would indeed follow this guidelines he indeed wouldn't have mouse at all. Also, seeing the fact that you see a normal behavior in him makes me wonder...

Necessary evil?

Believe it or not, there are plenty of Windows users (and I'm talking professionals, even - architects that use AutoCAD no less) that do indeed see mice that way.

Arceles

Necessary evil?

Believe it or not, there are plenty of Windows users (and I'm talking professionals, even - architects that use AutoCAD no less) that do indeed see mice that way.

I really don't think so, the fact that I work in the machines of most of them on a daily basis (Catia, AutoCAD, SolidWorks, ANSYS (physics simulation but also modeling)) makes me differ vastly on your opinion.

Edit: If anything, they want a power CAD user mouse, like special joysticks dedicated only for CAD but not touch.

SpacePilot_Pro.png

(http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/spacepilot_pro_mouse_makes_cad_seem_cool)

DotMatrix Nightmare.

@Leo

Ridiculousness level: Sane

Ridiculousness level: Windows 8 user

Ridiculousness level: :punch: :ermm: :pinch: <= Dot Matrix is here.

• Like 4
remixedcat

Ridiculousness level: Sane

Ridiculousness level: Windows 8 user

Ridiculousness level: :punch: :ermm: :pinch: <= Dot Matrix is here.

I LOLedd

+virtorio

Context menus appear where you click them (next to (or over) the object you clicked on, the context object); that's the whole point (and is one of my biggest gripes with the "modern" UI and why it's clearly not designed for the mouse to be the primary source of input).

You have the worst ideas I've ever seen people come up with on Neowin. If you were magically installed as head of design for the next version of Windows you'd bury that company.

• Like 3
ToneKnee

I don't understand how this would be an advantage. The context menu is a lot faster than what you have proposed.

• Like 1
@Leo

You have the worst ideas I've ever seen people come up with on Neowin. If you were magically installed as head of design for the next version of Windows you'd bury that company.

I don't know, I think they are doing a pretty 'good' job themselves. :laugh:

Arceles

I don't know, I think they are doing a pretty 'good' job themselves. :laugh:

I loled.