Windows 8 $14.99 Upgrade Code is Now available

If you have registered for the $14.99 upgrade to win8 Pro, and have got a email of approval, now you can go to the approval page by entering the ID provided in the previous MS email, take down the "upgrade code", download the Windows Upgrade Assistant.....and, good luck!

image_614.jpg

http://windows.micro...8/feature-packs

This is for Windows 8 Pro users to get it free... Tried the email but haven't received it yet.

I think you mean the free upgrade from win8 Pro to win8Pro+WMC, actually some people had already installed successfully, so just wait. :)

What I posted was the $14.99 upgrade from win7 to win8 Pro.

btw, if anyone is interested in the $39.99 upgrade from XP/vista/win7 to win8 Pro(+WMC), he can try with the Windows Upgrade Assistant, download link: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=262205

It worked for me in the US, just got my upgrade keys.

Strangely enough, it didn't ask for ANYTHING to verify my information that I had already provided. I expected to at least have to put in the Windows 7 serial for the computer to upgrade, as I'm not on that computer at the moment.

It worked for me in the US, just got my upgrade keys.

Strangely enough, it didn't ask for ANYTHING to verify my information that I had already provided. I expected to at least have to put in the Windows 7 serial for the computer to upgrade, as I'm not on that computer at the moment.

I do believe you are supposed to do the upgrade process on the computer you want. You might have gotten a key for the wrong computer. I wonder if it will activate on the one you wanted to use it on.

I do believe you are supposed to do the upgrade process on the computer you want. You might have gotten a key for the wrong computer. I wonder if it will activate on the one you wanted to use it on.

In addition to the evidence above, the latter part of their FAQ seems to say differently:

The upgrade offer is tied to a Windows 7 PC purchased from June 2nd, 2012 through January 31, 2013, but you can choose to redeem the offer and install the upgrade on any compatible Windows-based PC with a qualifying base operating system.

In addition to the evidence above, the latter part of their FAQ seems to say differently:

[/color]

Odd. This was in the email I got:

You?ll need to run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant on the PC you want to upgrade.

Unless I understood you wrong, you ran it on another PC. That's why it is a bit confusing.

$15 bucks to 'upgrade' to Windows 8 makes Microsoft seem desperate to get people to use it. :laugh:

I believe you are confused. There is a 14.99 upgrade for people who just bought a PC that may be able to start using their upgrade coupons to get Windows 8 and then there is a 14.99 Pro Pack that adds in Windows Media Center back to Windows 8 Pro. Microsoft is offering the Pro Pack for free at this time, so Media Center is Free to upgrade to.

MS delayed counting the revenue for Windows 7 licenses sold with upgrade coupons since the license won't be realized until the coupon is consumed. So they're essentially making their money and then some :)

Can you use the key for a clean install?

I'm about to install it now, but it looks like it. During the download process it gave me the option to create an ISO, then it showed me my product key, which would imply that you can clean install :)

I believe you are confused. There is a 14.99 upgrade for people who just bought a PC ...

Bought a PC with what operating system ... Windows 7 ?

In that case they are getting 8 for very cheap -- $15.

Bought a PC with what operating system ... Windows 7 ?

In that case they are getting 8 for very cheap -- $15.

It's for people who just bought a PC with Windows 7 (I think in like the last month or two). They get the $14.99 upgrade.

If you bought a Windows 7 PC months ago you can still get the upgrade but it'll cost you $39.99.

I'm about to install it now, but it looks like it. During the download process it gave me the option to create an ISO, then it showed me my product key, which would imply that you can clean install :)

Yup.

istwin8.png

istwin8_2.png

Yup.

istwin8.png

istwin8_2.png

But is the ISO bootable? if Yes it's simple you can do a clean install altough there is FAQ on Microsoft support site for windows 8 that says:

You upgraded to Windows 8, but didn't have a previous version of Windowsinstalled (error 0xC004F061)

If you see error 0xC004F061 when you try to activate Windows 8, it means that you're using a product key for an upgrade version of Windows 8 and a previous version of Windows wasn't on your PC when Windows 8 was installed. To install an upgrade version of Windows 8, you must already have Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP installed on your PC.

If you formatted the drive before the upgrade version of Windows 8 was installed, you won't be able to use your upgrade product key to activate Windows 8. To activate Windows 8, you'll need to install your previous version of Windows, and then reinstall Windows 8. For help with the activation process, contact support.

Strange how they let you go through with the offer without having to provide any proof of the original purchase *cough* :shifty:

Tried to sign up but it asks for my win7 product key and then said i wasn't eligible.

Hehe, I purchased my computer last year was just trying it since others said they were able to get it.