Change "Windows User" name?

Pull up Registry Editor (regedit)

Press CRTL key and F key at same time to pull up the Find dialog.

Type Windows User then hit enter

then press F3 key a few times until you see "Windows User" on the right hand pane...

right-click on it then select Modifiy

then type whatever you like to name it to.

then you are done.

Please note: Make sure you are on admin account otherwise it won't let you change it.

Did it work for you?

Well actually, I'm using an Administrator account and I opened regedit.exe as an Administrator but when I try to change it to my name, I press F3 again and then the name resets to Windows User.

Once you changed it to your name... close that window... not press F3. F3 key is for "finding the word" for you.

Then use Run dialog, type winver then hit enter... you will see your name on there instead of Windows User.

Once you changed it to your name... close that window... not press F3. F3 key is for "finding the word" for you.

Then use Run dialog, type winver then hit enter... you will see your name on there instead of Windows User.

No still not working unforunately... Does it work for you?

The registry key is supposed to be located here

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

Under RegisteredOwner

It should probably work, I just checked on my Windows 8 machine and my live email is listed there and that is what the about windows dialog shows. Why is this even important though?

The registry key is supposed to be located here

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion]

Under RegisteredOwner

It should probably work, I just checked on my Windows 8 machine and my live email is listed there and that is what the about windows dialog shows. Why is this even important though?

Can't find it. I can go all until CurrentVersion, then I'm stuck.

Is this the one you want me to change?

c85d4dfcf01d6ed867a1b3e13c860357.png

I've changed that to my name multiple times and then when I close my regedit Window and I go to winver.exe, it still shows Windows User. What I also did was I changed it and then I kept on pressing F3 but each time, it either resets back to Windows User or it's another RegOwner registry.

Is this the one you want me to change?

c85d4dfcf01d6ed867a1b3e13c860357.png

I've changed that to my name multiple times and then when I close my regedit Window and I go to winver.exe, it still shows Windows User. What I also did was I changed it and then I kept on pressing F3 but each time, it either resets back to Windows User or it's another RegOwner registry.

Not that one.. see my screenshot.

post-277494-0-86724000-1353209666.png

Here you go

If its not there, then you might be having Windows RT... I am on Windows 8 Pro.

It works! :) Thanks so much guys. ;) And the only problem was that I didn't see Windows RT lol