Neowin.net Minecraft Server (Old Server)

Message added by Brandon H,

Come join the new Minecraft server discussion thread :)

Does this mean the end for Bukkit? Or just a really long delay.

AFAIK:

Mojang own Bukkit

Dinnerbone has already stated he will personally update Bukkit to 1.8

Bukkit will not however become the fabled Minecraft API

As for how long, that's anyones guess.

Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:Slugsie, on 06 Sept 2014 - 20:39, said:

AFAIK:

Mojang own Bukkit

Dinnerbone has already stated he will personally update Bukkit to 1.8

Bukkit will not however become the fabled Minecraft API

As for how long, that's anyones guess.

1. EvilSeph, the lead of Bukkit quit and announced that Bukkit was ending. Mojang stepped in and said that he has no right to do so as they own Bukkit.

2. Dinnerbone stated he'd update CraftBukkit to 1.8 himself. Which he cannot legally do now (see #3).

3. Wesley Wolfe sent Bukkit, Spigot and GitHub a DMCA takedown request for infringing upon the GPL license his commits (dating back up to two years) to Bukkit are under. The Bukkit project is used with CraftBukkit which is licensed under LGPL and includes proprietary Minecraft code that legally cannot be used in conjunction with Bukkit due to GPL requiring everything it touches to become GPL (it is known as the cancerous license for a reason).

4. The repercussions from this was simple: bukkit.org and spigotmc.org were forced to remove their downloads for any CraftBukkit related material. GitHub also took down the CraftBukkit repository and all affiliated forks of it (including Spigot).

5. Now almost all communities (Bukkit, Spout, Forge, Spigot and Cauldron members) including their respective leaders (sans Bukkit's) are taking part in a new solution called 'Sponge' that will be based on MinecraftForge and will be using SpoutAPI as a reference for the new API.

You can join #sponge on irc.esper.net for more details on that. This is a big thing, there has never been a time where so many split groups have come together for a solution. This will not be an overnight project obviously and will take some time but will finally resolve the giant gap that existed between Forge and Bukkit users.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to make sure people got some accurate information on the subject. I've been following it closely being an older Spout team member and ex-Bukkit staff member.

Um, I appear to have a missing chunk in my home.

2014-09-07_11.35.54.png

This isn't good. Worse yet it seems the server thinks it's still there. I'm now stuck in an invisible area, unable to move. :(

Um, I appear to have a missing chunk in my home.

2014-09-07_11.35.54.png

This isn't good. Worse yet it seems the server thinks it's still there. I'm now stuck in an invisible area, unable to move. :(

There are more missing chunks, within the spawn fortress for one.

One explanation: Last night the server MC is running on must have crashed. I couldn't remote in then, so figured I'd look again this morning.

When I did I was greeted by Server 2012 asking me for a reason for the unexpected restart.

It looks to me like the MC world was corrupted by the Windows Server restart. Worse, we have no backup of the 1.7 world.

Any suggestions how to proceed?

Being that there are no backups, How many errors are there? is it worth it at this point to just restart the server again?

Being that there are no backups, How many errors are there? is it worth it at this point to just restart the server again?

A reset is the last resort. I'd rather not have to resort to it, alas, there are enough massive chunk errors near spawn to warrant a reset. :/

A reset is the last resort. I'd rather not have to resort to it, alas, there are enough massive chunk errors near spawn to warrant a reset. :/

we can always try to manually re-generate those chunks and then just play it off as a meteor strike

If we reset I suggest a Mindcrack-style reset:

No pre-built spawn.

Survival only.

World border active at, say, +/-1000 in each direction from spawn.

i like the idea of making it 100% vanilla (easier to deal with) probably go with 1500 for the world border and then just go with it. we do not have that many people playing any longer so i dont think we will need a world much larger than that.

I would keep the current white list though.

I've been playing a lot of single player lately so I'm not as opposed to a reset as I used to be, I miss that spark of exploring the new world. I'd say +/- 2k that seems to be the most people have travelled so far (baring a few exceptions)

i like the idea of making it 100% vanilla (easier to deal with) probably go with 1500 for the world border and then just go with it. we do not have that many people playing any longer so i dont think we will need a world much larger than that.

I would keep the current white list though.

World border 1000, expansion 10 blocks per week.

i wouldn't even push that an expansion is necessary until we need it. we can just play it by ear.

I'd go with 1500 as well. I had a small server for the 1.8pre builds, with a 1000 border, it's not as big as it first feels. Although I do agree that we should have a border, takes the pressure off the server a little.

Oh, and definitely no to large biomes. ;)

After surveying the damage of the old world and noticing that we didn't have any backup of the 1.7 world a server reset was unfortunately inevitable, as much as I hate to admit it. 

The new world is survival only. World border active; at the start it's 750 blocks in each direction. 10 blocks in each direction will be added each week.