F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

69 members have voted

1. 1. Which team will win the Constructor's Championship?

• Infiniti Red Bull Racing
    • Scuderia Ferrari
    • Vodafone McLaren Mercedes
    • Lotus F1 Team
    • Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team
    • Sauber F1 Team
    • Sahara Force India F1 Team
    • Williams F1 Team
    • Scuderia Toro Rosso
    • Caterham F1 Team
    • Marrusia F1 Team
  2. 2. Which driver will win the World Driver's Championship

• Sebastian Vettel
    • Mark Webber
    • Fernando Alonso
    • Felipe Massa
    • Jenson Button
    • Sergio Perez
    • Kimi Raikkonen
    • Romain Grosjean
    • Nico Rosberg
    • Lewis Hamilton
    • Nico Hulkenberg
    • Esteban Gutierrez
    • Adrian Sutil
    • Paul Di Resta
    • Pastor Maldonado
    • Valtteri Bottas
    • Jean-Eric Vergne
    • Daniel Ricciardo
    • Charles Pic
    • Giedo Van Der Garde
    • Jules Bianchi
    • Max Chilton

Red Bull team orders row: Vettel says he would probably do it again

Sebastian Vettel says he would probably disregard team orders and pass Mark Webber again if the Malaysian Grand Prix situation was repeated, as he does not believe the Australian deserved victory.

Despite apologising to the Red Bull team for his decision to contravene its 'multi 21' hold position request and overtake Webber in a fierce late-race battle, Vettel told reporters including AUTOSPORT in China on Thursday that Webber had not assisted him in the past and was not entitled to the Sepang win.

Vettel argued that he had misunderstood the team's message, yet admitted that even if he had comprehended, his actions would likely not have changed.

Asked if he would do the same again, Vettel replied: "I am not sure I can give you a proper answer because in the moment it might be different, but I would probably do the same.

"Had I understood the message and had I thought about it, reflected on it, thought what the team wanted to do, to leave Mark in first place and me finishing second... I think I would have thought about it and I would probably have done the same thing.

"He didn't deserve it.

"There is quite a conflict, because on the one hand I am the kind of guy who respects team decisions and the other hand, probably Mark is not the one who deserved it at the time."

Vettel and Webber have long had a fractious relationship, and the reigning world champion intimated that their history impacted on his Malaysian GP actions.

"I never had support from his side," Vettel said. "I have a lot of support from the team, and the team has supported both of us the same way.

"But in terms of the relationship to Mark, I respect him a lot as a racing driver, but I think there was more than one occasion in the past where he could have helped the team and he didn't."

Despite not regretting his actions, Vettel said he stood by his decision to apologise to Red Bull.

"I was racing, and as a racing driver I was solely focused on winning the race and I got a call on the radio, which I heard, but I didn't understand at the time," he said.

"I should have understood, that is why I apologised to the team - because in my action I put myself above the team. Whether you believe me or not is up to you.

But he shrugged off suggestions that he should have received a formal punishment from Red Bull.

"Maybe it is a little bit of a dreamland that you all live in, but what do you expect to happen?" said Vettel. "Make a suggestion!"

Source: Autosport

Arrogant twit is an arrogant twit?!

*Pause appropriate length of time for shocked gasp*

Looks like Rosberg is going to be up there. Practice is so annoying. You never know what teams are doing.

Mclaren are hoping to be better this weekend with their upgrades. Hopefully they will be. Even if it is an improvement over the past two races, i think they'll be happy.

At the moment we can't tell is Perez was a wise choice.

Looks like Rosberg is going to be up there. Practice is so annoying. You never know what teams are doing.

Mclaren are hoping to be better this weekend with their upgrades. Hopefully they will be. Even if it is an improvement over the past two races, i think they'll be happy.

At the moment we can't tell is Perez was a wise choice.

Mercs look strong .. funny how Rosberg always seems to outperform Hamilton during practice and even Q1/Q2 - then Hamilton pulls it out of the bag!

Glad to see the improvement with the McLarens. Personally, I don't think Perez was a wise choice .. there are better drivers in the field that could've filled that seat ..

I'm hoping that Red Bull are going to be beaten this weekend, but that will depend on merc being able to make the soft tyres last. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

Definitely. Red Bull have the same problem with tyre wear as all other teams too, so there's hope.

I'll say Rosberg will be on pole.

Great work from Hamilton ... interesting tactics from Button/Vettel.

Shame about Webber having fuel issues - would've liked him to be in close range with Vettel for the start.

Red Bull's apparent loss of form is pleasing to me, and it's nice to see Lewis doing so well already. Amazingly, his move to Merc is starting to look more and more like an inspired career choice. However with the soft tyres almost certain to go off quickly it's going to be an intriguing GP from a strategic viewpoint. Lewis won't just run off and hide it will have to be driven and managed tactically well.

Bloody hell that was close between Hamilton and Vettel at the end, Alonso drove a blinder as well some nice overtakes. Exciting race.

Indeed. Crazy close at the end there. :o

Man of the race: Fernando Alonso

Reject of the race: Mark Webber

Absolutely. Webber really didn't do his reputation any favours.

Chinese GP: Webber given Bahrain grid penalty for hitting Vergne

Mark Webber will lose three places on the grid of the Bahrain Grand Prix after stewards blamed him for his class with Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne in China.

Webber made contact with Vergne when trying to pass the Frenchman for 12th position on lap 16 of the race. He confirmed his penalty to reporters as he left the stewards' office.

The Australian said afterwards he was sure Vergne had left him room to pass, although the Toro Rosso driver denied knowing Webber was there.

"I think Mark could not have got through from where he tried and I'm not even sure if he was trying to pass me. Certainly I didn't even know he was there," said Vergne.

"Unfortunately, the impact put me into a spin and the incident damaged my floor. From then I lost a lot of downforce."

Webber had already endured a nightmare weekend.

The Australian had started the race from the pits after he had been excluded from qualifying for not having enough fuel in his car for scrutineering checks.

The Red Bull driver retired from the race after losing the rear left wheel following a pitstop.

Penalties part II:

Chinese GP: Esteban Gutierrez punished for Adrian Sutil clash

Esteban Gutierrez has been handed a five-place grid penalty for Bahrain after his crash during the Chinese Grand Prix.

The Mexican Sauber driver outbraked himself five laps into the race and crashed into the back of Adrian Sutil's Force India.

Rookie Gutierrez retired on the spot with a heavily damaged car, while Sutil managed to return to the pits but was also forced to retire due to the damage suffered.

"As I turned into the corner, I felt a hit from the rear and that was it. I think Gutierrez just braked late for the corner," said Sutil.

Race stewards gave the Sauber driver a penalty for causing the accident, and he will drop five places on the grid next week in Bahrain.

Gutierrez fully accepted that it was his mistake.

"I had Checo [Perez] fighting behind me, and I approached the corner too fast," he said.

"I was braking at the same place where I usually brake, however, I didn't anticipate the loss of downforce and the amount of speed I had.

"I tried my best to stop, but didn't succeed. It was definitely my fault, and I apologise to Adrian and to his team."

Merc still clearly need to work on their race pace. Will be interesting to see what they decide to do about the DRS penalties, so far they have been pretty lenient but it needs clamping down on in my opinion.

I can understand the FIA's rationalisation for not issuing DRS penalties. They need to get their butts into gear and work out the kinks.