F1 World Championship 2013 Thread

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Noir Angel

The headline lap time set by Rosberg looks impressive on paper but I have my suspicions that it was a low fuel run. Analysts seem to think that Red Bull and McLaren look to be the pick of the cars again but it's almost impossible to tell anything from testing these days. Bring on Melbourne!

simonlang

ranking after testing according to blick.ch

1. Red Bull-Renault

2. Lotus-Reanult

3. McLaren-Mercedes

4. Ferrari

5. Mercedes

6. Sauber-Ferrari

7. Williams-Renault

8. Force India-Mercedes

9. Toro Rosso-Ferrari

10. Marussia-Cosworth

11. Caterham-Renault

Noir Angel

The impression I've been getting is that it's going to be another Vettel and Alonso scrap. The merc is still clearly not quick enough and the noises being made by the McLaren drivers are that the car is inconsistent which is a bit troubling. I'm hoping someone will finally beat seb this year but sadly Red Bull still look strong.

theyarecomingforyou

Let than an hour to go until the first 3D coverage of F1 starts. I'm really interested to see how well the 3D effect works.

Lingwo

Blooming rain ruined any decent 3D action. It does look really good with the cars coming down the main straight.

Also the highlights from earlier were really good, some of the slow motion shots :o

theyarecomingforyou

The 3D is pretty interesting but I still wouldn't want to watch an entire race in it. Maybe it will be worth it when 4K / Ultra-HD comes around and it can be done without glasses but I prefer a decent 2D image.

MightyJordan

The last free cockpit has been filled: Sutil to make F1 comeback with Force India

Still some action going on though...

Bianchi takes Razia?s place at Marussia for 2013

Jules Bianchi will race for Marussia this year, the team has announced.

The French driver, who missed out on taking the second Force India seat yesterday, will replace Luiz Razia at the team.

Team principal John Booth confirmed Razia?s contract with the team has been ?terminated? just 23 days after it was announced he would drive for them.

?We have found ourselves in a situation where we have had to terminate our contract with Luiz Razia.? said Booth.

?Having made clear the basis on which we must operate in 2013, and given the steps we had taken to put that new structure in place, we had no alternative but to remain true to the principles which we had identified as being key to securing our long-term future.?

Bianchi said: ?Racing in Formula One this season has been my goal over the winter and after evaluating a number of options I am very excited to have this opportunity to demonstrate that I am ready for this next step in my racing career.

?I am also very grateful to the Ferrari Driver Academy that has always supported me and has given me the possibility to mature as a racing driver enabling me to be fully prepared for this new exciting challenge.

?The next two weeks of preparation for the season will be incredibly busy but I am ready to get started tomorrow with my first day in the MR02.?

Booth added: ?Jules is a proven talent who is highly regarded within the Paddock. He has been on a clear trajectory towards Formula 1 and has achieved some impressive performances through the various feeder formulae, notably his 2012 season in Formula Renault 3.5 when he was also Reserve Driver for Force India.

?He is part of the Ferrari Driver Academy and his obvious pedigree put him on the radar for a number of teams over the winter as a driver ready to step up to Formula One.?

Javascript is not enabled or refresh the page to view.

Click here to view the Tweet
Chasethebase

Here's your 2013 Helmet roster, from Left to Right

Alonso, Bianchi, Bottas, Button, Chilton, Van de Garde

Grosjean, Gutierrez, Hamilton, Hulkenberg, Maldonado, Massa

Perez, Pic, Raikkonen, Di Resta, Ricciardo, Rosberg

Sutil, Vergne, Webber, Vettel, Vettel, Vettel (The last two are others from 2012).

qGElnSX.jpg

KiHu

Sutil, Vergne, Webber, Vettel, Vettel, Vettel (The last two are others from 2012).

qGElnSX.jpg

Gutierrez helmet looks like something Marcus Eriksson should be using.

+Frank B.

Chasethebase: Isn't it time to add the poll to the topic?

Chasethebase

Chasethebase: Isn't it time to add the poll to the topic?

Oui I would say so :)

simonlang

qGElnSX.jpg

very modern, young designs. all of them.

my vote goes to redbull and alonso. if the latter one doesnt make it this year it will be considered a HUGE FAILURE!!!

+Frank B.

I've voted for Mercedes GP as WCC and Nico Rosberg as WDC. Yes I know, test times were inconclusive and all - at the end of the day the Mercedes still looks like the most complete package on the grid.

It's going to be one hell of a close season though, with at least five teams (Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari, Mercedes, Lotus) being able to fight for the title.

KiHu

Im going for a wild bet on Romain..

+Frank B.

Im going for a wild bet on Romain..

There's a bigger chance of Alain Prost returning to F1 and winning a fifth title than for Grosjean to win the WDC. Sure, he's fast. He's also too chaotic - see also: Most of last season.

• Like 2
Lingwo

That is a very brave move voting Mercedes. While they looked good, they pretty much confirmed they were running lighter than everyone else. Plus it is a long season and if their car falls behind it might up like last years and not really improve over the season.

If what McLaren say is true and their car is good base for improvement unlike last year, then they could be within a shout, especially if it is to Buttons liking.

Lotus, i think will be similar to last year, maybe a couple more podiums and another win. I also expect Grosjean to be a lot stronger.

Ferrari, i think will be quicker this year. I still don't think their car will be an outright title contender.

Red Bull, i think they were sanbagging at testing or they have very good poker faces :laugh: - i think they'll be stronger at the start of this season unlike last year.

simonlang

There's a bigger chance of Alain Prost returning to F1 and winning a fifth title than for Grosjean to win the WDC. Sure, he's fast. He's also too chaotic - see also: Most of last season.

i think drivers can improve and change also their driving style. the fact that grosjean is already very fast but erratic means for me just that there is a big chance he ll be even better when not doing any mistakes anymore.

i remember everyone bashing massa all 2006 long how erratic he was and therefore never would win any wdc just to be proven completely wrong 2 years later, when only technical problems prevented him from beating a certain lewis hamilton.

123456789A

Maldonado 2013 F1 WDC

MightyJordan

Maldonado 2013 F1 WDC

• Like 2
+Frank B.

i think drivers can improve and change also their driving style. the fact that grosjean is already very fast but erratic means for me just that there is a big chance he ll be even better when not doing any mistakes anymore.

i remember everyone bashing massa all 2006 long how erratic he was and therefore never would win any wdc just to be proven completely wrong 2 years later, when only technical problems prevented him from beating a certain lewis hamilton.

Some of the great drivers in the history of F1 have been erratic at the start of their career. M. Schumacher or A. Senna spring to mind. Said drivers had the extraordinary talent R. Grosjean (or F. Massa for that matter) is lacking.

Grosjean is fast, but by no means WDC material.

Maldonado 2013 F1 WDC

I am going to buy you a tier 2 subscription if that happens.

• Like 2
simonlang

Some of the great drivers in the history of F1 have been erratic at the start of their career. M. Schumacher or A. Senna spring to mind. Said drivers had the extraordinary talent R. Grosjean (or F. Massa for that matter) is lacking.

Grosjean is fast, but by no means WDC material.

i did NOT know that you can see the future :rofl:

but seriously, even i wouldnt give grosjean 3 or 7 titles, but 1 why not? even kimi lucked into one in 2007 and villeneuve 10 years earlier. so its doable.

123456789A

No honestly I can't stand Maldonado. I voted for Alonso.

+Frank B.

i did NOT know that you can see the future :rofl:

but seriously, even i wouldnt give grosjean 3 or 7 titles, but 1 why not? even kimi lucked into one in 2007 and villeneuve 10 years earlier. so its doable.

I've followed F1 for long enough to have a good grasp on which driver is fast and which isn't, thank you very much. R?ikk?nen and Villeneuve both have the speed and race craft Grosjean is lacking to be one of the true greats. Just like Massa he makes for a decent #2 (sorry, #1b) driver though.