Mom's 18-Point iPhone Rules for Son

I disagree with this one..

13. Don't take a zillion pictures and videos. There is no need to document everything. Live your experiences. They will be stored in your memory for eternity.

rest are ok

Some of the rules make sense for the age he is but why she so controling? I let my son play his tablet as much as he wants as long as his school work is done and his chores done too. He puts it away after a while and plays with his sister too. No need to be so controling.

Welll apparently most 13yr olds can't tell from good from bad these days. They need more attention than toddlers. Since when is good parenting called "so controlling"?

I dont see any rule about selling it and buying another non iPhone device. The contract would not apply to it.

Mom needs to think outside the box.

Cant sell something that isn't yours; read rule #1.

Welll apparently most 13yr olds can't tell from good from bad these days. They need more attention than toddlers. Since when is good parenting called "so controlling"?

Not being able to take photos/ videos often is pretty controlling. Having those photos CAN bring back memories. Why get him this phone if he cannot use the features on it. I am sure this is the phone he WANTS, At 16 is she gonna let him barrow the car but not use the AC/ HEAT or radio and do not change the seat postion. ( that is being extreme and is sarcasm). I just think she is a bit overbearing and controlling while she has a good idea.

I dont see any rule about selling it and buying another non iPhone device. The contract would not apply to it.

Mom needs to think outside the box.

yes he is only leasing the phone for 0$ a month. If he sells it he would have to give back the money and still pay the difference. It is not his to sell.

Not being able to take photos/ videos often is pretty controlling. Having those photos CAN bring back memories. Why get him this phone if he cannot use the features on it. I am sure this is the phone he WANTS, At 16 is she gonna let him barrow the car but not use the AC/ HEAT or radio and do not change the seat postion. ( that is being extreme and is sarcasm). I just think she is a bit overbearing and controlling while she has a good idea.

yeah as I said - photos videos rule is stupid but most others are ok for a 13year old.

Not even sure why we've seen this list just seems like she wants attention of some sort

She is not controlling him at all really. Just giving him some basic rules to abide by. Have you seen how ignorant a lot of phone users are nowadays?

Her rules do seem over the top in some regards in relation to how the phone should be used and if he doesn't want to answer calls he shouldn't have to she's just being a control freak for the sake of being a control freak or just an attention seeker

They're either texting or have their head in facebook. Even when you're trying to have a conversation with them.

Not sure if that is really a problem when you're bored you seek more entertaining things to do the real question is why are you trying to talk to someone who is clearly enjoying their phone conversation more? nothing worse than when you're minding your own business doing your own thing and someone is trying to have a conversation with you that you don't care for

it's like when people are on the train listening to their music and some random ******* just has to try and get their attention and talk to them about the weather or other unrelated crap just mind your own damn business

also then again i do agree with those engaging in brain dead activities such as checking their facebook can be a waste of their life but that's their problem not yours

Anyway i don't think kids need phones, other than for emergencies. Majority of us got on fine without a mobile phone.

It's just another form of entertainment so what if they get it from a hand held device?

There is just one I don't agree with:

2. I will always know the password.

Everyone deserves to have some privacy. We bought our first computer when I was 11 and I always had my own account with a password and I never told it to anyone. No kid should have to tell their parents everything.

Everyone deserves to have some privacy. We bought our first computer when I was 11 and I always had my own account with a password and I never told it to anyone. No kid should have to tell their parents everything.

hmmm... a boy maybe but not a girl, although there is no rule of standard, for me i stopped looking at my 19 years PC and phone when she turned 15 and my other daughter turns 15 in a couple weeks, Untill then, i am checking her phone! :)

and facebook!

13. Don't take a zillion pictures and videos. There is no need to document everything. Live your experiences. They will be stored in your memory for eternity.

Tell that to my 70 year old grandfather with alzheimers. He cant even remember who he is 50% of the time.

hmmm... a boy maybe but not a girl, although there is no rule of standard, for me i stopped looking at my 19 years PC and phone when she turned 15 and my other daughter turns 15 in a couple weeks, Untill then, i am checking her phone! :)

and facebook!

Haha, am I glad I didn't have a parent like you.

This "list" is a good idea on paper, but I also agree that it's too intrusive. A few of those rules make it pretty clear that she will be watching what he's doing at all times, and probably tracking him using the "Find my iPhone" app. There's a good chance it will cause him to go to great lengths to sneak around, which isn't a good result at all.

There's nothing wrong with taking pictures, and there's nothing wrong with not answering the phone from time to time. It sounds to me like the kid will get home and will be welcomed with a game of "20 questions".

All kids do stupid stuff and as long as they don't end up in jail or on drugs, let them do what they want to do.

My parents let me do whatever I wanted as long as my grades were high, I was in clubs/sports, and got a job when I got to high school. That's all that should ever be needed.

Haha, am I glad I didn't have a parent like you.

wait till you have some girls of your own, you will see EXACTLY what it entails. With a son, all you have to worry about is one prick. With a daughter, you have to worry about every prick in town.

wait till you have some girls of your own, you will see EXACTLY what it entails. With a son, all you have to worry about is one prick. With a daughter, you have to worry about every prick in town.

Sounds like some other people's logic in a certain huge thread.

Anyway, the parenting logic is until I have kids my opinion is worthless. LOL

Anyway, the parenting logic is until I have kids my opinion is worthless. LOL

yes, agreed, the parenting logic IS pointless until you have kids. Its something you can't explain, teach, advise, or counsel till you are one yourself.

yes, agreed, the parenting logic IS pointless until you have kids. Its something you can't explain, teach, advise, or counsel till you are one yourself.

After dealing with many kids and their parents, I can safely say I disagree. But let's agree to disagree.

That really doesn't make sense. The dangers of internet and Facebook (etc) are vastly exaggerated. Learn your kids how to use the privacy settings and block people instead of spying on them. Just trusting your kids will have a much better effect on them if you ask me. Let them be responsible instead of trying to act as a firewall for your kids.

That really doesn't make sense. The dangers of internet and Facebook (etc) are vastly exaggerated. Learn your kids how to use the privacy settings and block people instead of spying on them. Just trusting your kids will have a much better effect on them if you ask me. Let them be responsible instead of trying to act as a firewall for your kids.

Why do people look at parents actually parenting as a bad thing? It's the parents job to "act as a firewall" for our kids. And your use of the term firewall in reference to kids is flawed as well. What do we use firewalls for? Mostly to keep the outside out. And even fully functioning rational adults need firewalls, literally and figuratively. So yeah, my job is to be my kids firewall!

After dealing with many kids and their parents, I can safely say I disagree. But let's agree to disagree.

The major difference is that you are not responsible for the kids you deal with; the parents are.

• Like 3

Not at 13. It is the parents responsiblity of that kid to make sure they are safe. I will know my kids passwords on thier devices until around 16 years old (soft target). Also cannot judge them for doing something when i am prying unless it really bad. IE if they swear at thier friends that is something I wont interfere but if someone is trying to get my daughter to show "naughty" photo then yes I will start to exercise my law.

• Like 2

All kids do stupid stuff and as long as they don't end up in jail or on drugs, let them do what they want to do.

My parents let me do whatever I wanted as long as my grades were high, I was in clubs/sports, and got a job when I got to high school. That's all that should ever be needed.

Doing stupid stuff is part of the learning process of a teen.

From my own experience parents who try to prevent their kids to do stupid stuff usually don't get the result they are looking for. All of a sudden the teen is 20 and doesn't know about life and possible mistakes he or she can do.

There needs to be rules. But the only way to really know how much fire hurts is to experience it.

Not at 13. It is the parents responsiblity of that kid to make sure they are safe. I will know my kids passwords on thier devices until around 16 years old (soft target). Also cannot judge them for doing something when i am prying unless it really bad. IE if they swear at thier friends that is something I wont interfere but if someone is trying to get my daughter to show "naughty" photo then yes I will start to exercise my law.

If someone is trying to get your daughter to show naughty photos then she should know to just ignore it and block him/her - and preferably just tell you yourself.

I'm really glad nobody ever had access to any of my accounts, ever. I like my privacy.

Great Parenting! (Y)

1. most kids these days are spoilt & lazy

2. talk and disrespect as they choose

3. lack clear guidance and instruction of life wisdoms + lessons

4. are emotional cripples and bunch of wimps

5. lack of self sufficiency

6. do not understand the value of what parenthood means - its simply not a fact of having children and letting "everrything play out as normal"

7. lack societal standards

I'm going to guess that the people who don't see a problem with the rules are people who are over 25 or 30 and actually remember back to when they were 13 and didn't have cell phones. When I was 13, I had an NES and that was about it and there were rules to when I could use it, like only after dinner if all my homework and chores were done and as long as nobody else was watching TV. So I only ended up playing that darned thing about an hour a week, lol. Nowadays, I see teens and even some young adults who are so stuck to their gadgets and technology and social media that they don't know how to interact with strangers face to face (like at work) or how to deal with anything that can't be solved by a quick google or wikipedia search and it's kinda scary.

• Like 3

yes, let them be, but if it crosses the line, its your job as a parent to step in. For example, if my son was texting his freind to rob a convince store, should i just let him? or intervene That's an extreme example but the point is the same. I have never had to question or take away a phone. You go case by case dependent on the situation.

how many of the kids have your unconditional love where you would die or kill for them, or go to jail for life for them if need be? That's the point that is unexplainable. I repeat, you will NEVER know that feeling until it happens to you no matter how you say or feel that you do.

If someone is trying to get your daughter to show naughty photos then she should know to just ignore it and block him/her - and preferably just tell you yourself.

I'm really glad nobody ever had access to any of my accounts, ever. I like my privacy.

at 13, they are still very very impressionable I know when i was 15 i was having sex with my 14 year gf. I can't even imagine that now with the same scenario with my daughters and their boyfriends LOL even with my daughter at 19 i am still inclined to be very uncomfortable with the idea of her going on a vacation with her boyfriend. You yourself may have been intelligent and good a good mind at a young age, but it doesn't work that way most of the time. Think of what you were doing at age 13. Anything you think you shouldn't have been doing?