techbeck

Just trusting your kids will have a much better effect on them if you ask me. Let them be responsible instead of trying to act as a firewall for your kids.

How many kids do you know? Trust is earned, it isnt given. Responsibility is taught which the mother is doing. Maybe when he gets older and proves he can be trusted, then the rules will lighten up a little. But he is 13 years old and with all the new crap going on today and ways kids are getting hurt, parents should keep a watch, always. I am not saying be intrusive or interfere with their lives, just keep an eye open. You never stop being a parent.

Ambroos

Think of what you were doing at age 13. Anything you think you shouldn't have been doing?

Not really, no?

Well perhaps it's a good thing I'm not planning on having kids - ever.

Rippleman

Not really, no?

haha, nothing you don't want anyone to know about! fair enough :)
Ambroos

edit: Actually, nevermind this post

remixedcat

I would rather have my kids addicted to the internet rather then going out and making asses of themselves and getting arrested for drugs or destroying property or stuff like that if they get bored.... the same as video games... rather have them take that agression out in the game rather then RL.

Also if you make sure your kids grow up in a decent area then you won't have as much to worry about.... if there's lots of stuff for kids to do offline then they would not need to be so hooked on the internet.

my area has jack for kids to do and not much for young adults either.... this is why there are so many "damn gamers" here. if people would actually make more things to do for younger people than the problems would be solved.... but people in my area are so freaking jaded and they are so ingrained in thier heads that "don't talk to strangers" "being nice to people is not cool" "happiness is for fags" kinda mentality.... or they think everything is fine when it's not becuase they have been so programmed to not speak up for themselves or resolve problems. this is a HUGE problem in the appalachias region of the US.

Richteralan

how many of the kids have your unconditional love where you would die or kill for them, or go to jail for life for them if need be? That's the point that is unexplainable. I repeat, you will NEVER know that feeling until it happens to you no matter how you say or feel that you do.

Having unconditional love is exactly what makes parents very subjective about their kids.

Not saying it's a bad thing obviously, but it is exactly the thing prevents parents to think objectively about their kids.

I am not Jesus so I can't give unconditional love to all the kids I'm dealing with. They are all special to me equally. But obviously, when you work with so many kids, you see something their parents don't (you are dealing with your own kids only).

Also, frankly, that feeling doesn't mean you are a good parents, either.

techbeck

All kids do stupid stuff and as long as they don't end up in jail or on drugs, let them do what they want to do.

My parents let me do whatever I wanted as long as my grades were high, I was in clubs/sports, and got a job when I got to high school. That's all that should ever be needed.

And how old are you? What was ok for you to do is not the same these days it the vastly changing world we live in. When I was young, personal PCs were just becoming popular, pagers were the main stream, and cell phones were big bags you lugged around or a hard wired car phone. Now with the internet and hte MANY ways kids are taken advantage of and all he temptations, parents need to keep a closer eye and kids need to prove they are smart and can be trusted.

Astra.Xtreme

And how old are you? What was ok for you to do is not the same these days it the vastly changing world we live in. When I was young, personal PCs were just becoming popular, pagers were the main stream, and cell phones were big bags you lugged around or a hard wired car phone. Now with the internet and hte MANY ways kids are taken advantage of and all he temptations, parents need to keep a closer eye and kids need to prove they are smart and can be trusted.

I'm 24... And no, parents don't need to put their kids on a leash and question everything they do. Trying to parent a kid in a purely preventative way will not work, and will probably have adverse effects. A big part of it is reactive and it should be expected that kids will make mistakes. Obviously don't promote it, but don't try to prevent everything either. A huge part of learning is by making mistakes. And I already listed how a kid can prove they can be trusted. Get good grades, stay involved academically or athletically, and learn personal responsibility by doing so. A good parent doesn't hold their kid's hand though all of adolescence.

techbeck

I'm 24... And no, parents don't need to put their kids on a leash and question everything they do. Trying to parent a kid in a purely preventative way will not work, and will probably have adverse effects. A big part of it is reactive and it should be expected that kids will make mistakes. Obviously don't promote it, but don't try to prevent everything either. A huge part of learning is by making mistakes. And I already listed how a kid can prove they can be trusted. Get good grades, stay involved academically or athletically, and learn personal responsibility by doing so. A good parent doesn't hold their kid's hand though all of adolescence.

Yes, all kids make mistakes but its up to the parents to educate their kids an teach them responsibility....so they earn trust. And some kids do not need much supervision, some need a lot. Cannot taylor a broad set of rules/recommendations to all. Each kid is different. And a parent will hold a kid's hand as long as it takes to make sure their kid is brought up right. Until 18, the kid is the parents responsibility and the parent can be held liable for their kids actions. But a lot of parents do not care or are to busy/lazy to be bothered by parenting.

n_K

A couple lesbian partner I know are hilarious, they won't let their kids have ANY presents unless they've opened them to check their contents, their kids are both teenagers now and if you give them even a DVD of doctor who the kids never get it.

We're waging how many years it is until both kids revolt, tell the couple to **** off and move out, my guess is around 20.

The mother in this just reminds me exactly of them.

Praetor

A couple lesbian partner I know are hilarious, they won't let their kids have ANY presents unless they've opened them to check their contents, their kids are both teenagers now and if you give them even a DVD of doctor who the kids never get it.

We're waging how many years it is until both kids revolt, tell the couple to **** off and move out, my guess is around 20.

The mother in this just reminds me exactly of them.

thats a bit of extreme, no? Probably something happened so they have that attitude. Also this mother settled rules so her kid could grown as a functional adult. i know couple of teens about that age (12, 13 years) and some young adults that are completely addicted to tech (always checking their facebook, tweets and so on) on their mobile phones. They even text SMS without seeing them, that's crazy!

evo_spook

She could have just bought the kid a basic dumbphone.

but the attention ###### wouldn't have got her 5 minutes of fame

primexx

talk about poor parenting. instead of laying them out as rules "imposed from above" they should have sat down with the kid and explained the rationael behind them and get the kid to adopt those rules himself, not because "mom made me" but because most of these rules are a damn good idea in themselves. i bet you it'd be a lot more effective and actually teaches the kid something.

Richteralan

but the attention ###### wouldn't have got her 5 minutes of fame

She probably spent more than 5 minutes to come up with that list..

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By indospot
      Apple is reportedly working on an expensive "niche" VR headset
      by João Carrasqueira

Facebook's Oculus Quest 2 For years, Apple has been rumored to be working on virtual reality or augmented reality headsets, but we have yet to see any of those reports materialize. If you were hoping for even more reports without official confirmation from Apple, today is your lucky day.

According to a new report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, Apple is planning to launch a standalone VR-focused headset at some point in 2022, but it will be a high-end niche product, with Apple reportedly having "conservative" sales expectations. The virtual environment will include gaming, communication, and video content, and while AR support will exist in some capacity, the report claims it will be limited. While Apple has displayed more interest in augmented reality so far, the focus for this headset is on VR, and the goal is simply to get people ready for an eventual pair of AR glasses, which are also in development with the codename N421.

The VR headset, with the codename N301, is apparently going to be a premium piece of hardware in more than one way. The report claims Apple is using some of its most powerful processors in the device, with performance edging out the Apple M1 chipset in the latest Mac devices introduces in November. On top of that, the headset has a fan to keep running cool. Additionally, the displays will also have "much higher resolution" than existing VR headsets. However, that will go along with a price tag that's also significantly higher than that of rival products, with some insiders even claiming each Apple Store may only sell one device per day.

Interestingly, the inclusion of high-performance components and a fan made the headset too big and cumbersome, so Apple has seemingly removed the space that would allow users with glasses to actually wear the headset. Instead, the company has designed a way for prescription lenses to be inserted into the headset for users that need them. Apple is also using a fabric exterior to help the device be lighter considering the weight of its internals.

According to the report, the headset is in late prototyping stages, but it hasn't been finalized and could still change significantly or be canceled altogether before making it to market. Apple has been making investments in the VR space, though, so it wouldn't be surprising if something is afoot.

• By Rich Woods
      Alleged iPad Mini 6 leak shows a cut-out for Touch ID
      by Rich Woods

It's been almost two years since Apple released a new iPad Mini, and rumors from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has already predicted a nine-inch model for this year. If a leak from xleaks7 and published by Pigtou is to be believed, Apple is set to make some strange design choices with it.

According to the report, the screen size will be 9.15 inches, and unsurprisingly, Apple is aiming to put it in a same-sized chassis; otherwise, it would be around the same size that the full-size iPad used to be. The size of the new chassis is 203.2x134.8x6.25mm. So yes, that means that the chassis's dimensions are identical, except it's just a bit thicker than the 6.1mm iPad Mini 5.

The images show hole-punch cut-outs for both the front camera and for Touch ID, which is apparently remaining while iPhone and iPad Pro have switched to Face ID. The text in the report is a bit more ambiguous though, saying that the fingerprint sensor is inside the display. It's possible that the dedicated sensor is only shown in the mock-up to demonstrate where an in-display sensor might be, and if you remove the cut-out, it looks a lot more like what we'd expect from an iPad Mini.

As for when it's coming, the report didn't say. It did speculate that Apple will use an A14 Bionic processor, and that adds up since the last one had an A12. Perhaps we'll hear more about this in the spring.

• By Rich Woods
      Microsoft Lists is now available for iOS
      by Rich Woods

Today, Microsoft announced that its Lists app for iOS is now available. First announced at Build as a Trello competitor, it showed up as a web app in July with a promised iOS app coming later. Now, that app is here.

The Lists app, as you'd probably guess, lets you access and edit the lists that you own and have been shared with you; and of course, you can create new lists. The difference with the mobile app, however, is that it's really meant to be used more on the go than the web app is. Microsoft uses an example of creating an issue tracker list while you're drinking coffee, or sharing a list from the car. For more complex tasks, you're really meant to be using the web app.

Microsoft posted a demo of the app:

Here's a list of features that are included in the mobile app:

As you'd expect if you've been using the service, you can create new lists from scratch or from templates, and you can even use an Excel file to get started. The app also supports offline usage and dark mode.

Now for the fine print. You need an Office 365 commercial subscription that includes SharePoint to access Lists, so if you're on a consumer Microsoft 365 plan, you're out of luck here. Microsoft is working on an Android app, as it promised to produce back at Build, although it's not coming until later this year. Also, the company is promising iPad-specific features to be added to the iOS app at some point.

• By Jay Bonggolto
      Apple extends free TV+ trials anew to July 2021
      by Jay Bonggolto

When Apple first launched its subscription video on demand streaming service in November 2019, customers were given a year of free TV+ trials if they purchased an iPhone, an iPad, a Mac, or an Apple TV from that day. The free access was supposed to expire on November 1, 2020, but Apple extended it to February 2021.

Today, the tech giant is giving some of its TV+ customers a few extra months of free trials again. Users with subscriptions that were scheduled to expire between February and June can continue to access TV+ shows and movies for free until July 2021, assuming they haven't canceled their subscriptions.

Those eligible for the extension will receive notification via email over the next couple of weeks. Existing TV+ subscribers with a monthly plan as of January 15 are also set to receive a $4.99 store credit from February to June. This is also available to those who have an Apple One bundle subscription.

It remains to be seen, though, whether the second extension will persuade more people to subscribe to the service.

Source: 9to5Mac

• By Abhay V
      Apple reportedly testing Music and Podcasts apps for the Microsoft Store
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Apple retired iTunes for macOS back in 2019 with the release of macOS Catalina, splitting its functionality into three apps: Music, TV, and Podcasts. However, the company continued offering iTunes on Windows and had nothing to share about replacing the aging music client. A job posting spotted late in 2019 hinted towards possible efforts in that regard, with the firm calling on UWP developers to build the “next generation of media apps for Windows”. The company then made available Apple TV for Xbox late last year.

Now, a new report suggests that the Cupertino giant is working to bring its Music and Podcasts apps to the Microsoft Store. The apps are reportedly being tested as part of a private beta program and a release is expected sometime later this year. It is not clear if the apps are aimed at Xbox users alone, just like the Apple TV app, or if Apple plans to make the offerings available for the PC as well via the Microsoft Store.

Apple has been gradually expanding the availability of its services on multiple platforms. Apple TV, for instance, is making its way to Chromecast with Google TV and multiple smart TVs from LG and Sony. It will not be surprising to see the Music app make it to the Xbox, following the TV app. Though the service has a great web app. there is merit in releasing the apps for Windows 10 – and by extension for Windows 10X that is expected to launch on low-end PCs and tablets first – since it will greatly expand the reach of the company’s services via native apps.

It will be interesting to see what the iPhone company has in store for Microsoft’s platform. The introduction of native TV, Music, and Podcasts apps to Windows will be a welcome addition for users of the services.

Source: 9to5Mac