What was your initial reaction to Windows 8?

Let me correct that for you:

These Windows 8 discussions always end up the same: those that don't like it say so, those that do like it say so, and those from either side try to convince each other that they're wrong.

Hmm, someone should make a movie.

And Desktop Linux and Mac OS aren't doing the same? You can see the evolution in their desktops too. Either way you look at it, the point and click UI isn't holding much water anymore. I can guarantee you'll be seeing more device neutral UI's in the next few years from all parties.

The big difference here, obviously, linux and mac are not trying to FORCE some sort of metro style crap down anyone's throat.

The big difference here, obviously, linux and mac are not trying to FORCE some sort of metro style crap down anyone's throat.

Oh, but Mac forces their own UI. It's just one that people have become familiar with, and one that's in need of an update. I'm not sure why everyone is against being "forced" when all these years users have been "forced" all along, unless you install third party junk, that consumers and businesses won't do.

first 10 minutes... this is different.

10 minutes later - this Start Screen is much better than the Start Menu... can't believe we had to put up with the Start Menu for so long.

Oh, but Mac forces their own UI.

And It's one that people explicitly chose to use when they got a Mac. Imagine the reaction if Apple had Macs suddenly booting to Launchpad (without an option to turn that behavior off), with full-screen IOS apps installed by default, that open when you click on pictures, music etc. , with the Desktop hidden behind a Desktop app symbol, Spotlight search removed from the Desktop, being forced to use a full-screen search where you have to choose your category first, etc. etc.

• Like 3

And It's one that people explicitly chose to use when they got a Mac. Imagine the reaction if Apple had Macs suddenly booting to Launchpad (without an option to turn that behavior off), with full-screen IOS apps installed by default, that open when you click on pictures, music etc. , with the Desktop hidden behind a Desktop app symbol, Spotlight search removed from the Desktop, being forced to use a full-screen search where you have to choose your category first, etc. etc.

You know Search still works on the desktop, right?

post-420821-0-48096300-1361127266.png

Cool, huh?

Also, I'm if Apple did that, many users would be OK with that, and only the die hards would complain. But they're not going to. They haven't updated their UI in decades, and chances are, they're not going to update it any time soon either.

Oh, but Mac forces their own UI. It's just one that people have become familiar with, and one that's in need of an update. I'm not sure why everyone is against being "forced" when all these years users have been "forced" all along, unless you install third party junk, that consumers and businesses won't do.

And exactly what is it that they are trying to force on their users?

And exactly what is it that they are trying to force on their users?

Can you change the UI in Mac OS? If you're not a fan of the layout, can you install your own? Can you install your own in Windows 7?

Can you change the UI in Mac OS? If you're not a fan of the layout, can you install your own? Can you install your own in Windows 7?

This has nothing to do with changing anything, you said mac forces their own UI, I am asking you what UI are they trying to force onto their users?

You know Search still works on the desktop, right?

Actually it only searches from your point in the file hierarchy down. For global search you need to go to the Start Page (yucky Modern UI Search) or better, install Start8 or another Start Menu replacement and call it a day.

My initial reaction was a scream of terror, then I realized that the murderer that was stabbing me wasn't actually included with Windows 8 so I just shrugged it off and laughed about it while he kept dismembering me. They found my head in a lake a week later.

I guess I didn't realize their UI still looked like this: ;)

lol no doubt!

But really the UI in OSX is mostly unchanged since 10.0 and there really isn't any reason to change something that works just fine for most people, apple came out with dashboard and still didn't try to force it on anyone, unlike metro.

Really? Take a look at the ESPN app, and you'll see what's possible with the Metro UI. There's plenty of room for controls.

post-420821-0-22672400-1361119796.png

You think needing a scroll bar for basic UI inputs = productivity... seriously?

Apple don't need their UI changed, because they actually listen to their users and know what they want. Whilst I don't own nor would ever own a macintosh, there's a reason that user satisfaction with Apple is so high. Because unlike Microsoft they don't force unpopular changes through if their users are against it.

• Like 2

lol no doubt!

But really the UI in OSX is mostly unchanged since 10.0 and there really isn't any reason to change something that works just fine for most people, apple came out with dashboard and still didn't try to force it on anyone, unlike metro.

The Metro UI is primarily for Tablets and touchscreens. I don't even think that's debatable. There's plenty more for developers but they're slow to utilize it and show it's value to buyers. it is early, Microsoft clearly wanted to get 8 out the door ASAP and on tablet devices ASAP. Shortcomings be damned. Sort of like they did with the Xbox 360 which resulted in the RRoD fiasco. This won't be that bad ...

But as I said, the desktop is used more than the command line, and even that has not and will not go away. In fact, for pros, it's more powerful than ever and there are many things you wouldn't want to do anywhere else. One word: Powershell. The desktop and MDI isn't going anywhere. There's a reason GUIs and MDI took over and have never left since Xerox Parc. That won't change with the tablet form factor. Microsoft is going for the professional tablet market, if they were going for the consumer market with RT, they lost before they started due to lack of software and middleware. You still can't sync WP8 or Surface RT with a desktop running Windows 8. They're all over the place. They're too big.

You think needing a scroll bar for basic UI inputs = productivity... seriously?

I have to agree with you here. The app looks fantastic but operates horrendously. I uninstalled it. I spent more time trying to navigate and get to what I wanted than actually consuming content. What a waste, but great looks.

At first I hated it, I had only tried it in the virtual machine and had no idea how to close apps or how to shut windows down but after reading about how to use the metro side of windows 8 it became more useful. I installed it as my main operating system to force myself to adapt to it and now I think its great. My start screen is customized with my frequently used programs and all my games. I've also got myself a touch mouse so I can take advantage of some of the gestures in windows 8. I don't think I could go back to Windows 7 now.

Lets all keep in mind that Dot Matrix is the same guy who created a thread about how "Windows 8 should have eliminated the legacy right click menu."

http://www.neowin.ne...nu/page__st__90

The Modern UI does eliminate it. And that's one of the worst things about the Modern UI IMO, at least on a desktop computer. OK, lets meet halfway and call it a workstation (back to the future).

In place context sensitive menus are one of the most productive features of any GUI with mouse control. In fact, for years it kept Windows more productive than Mac OS when Mac OS was probably more polished and optimized. Microsoft did a great job of standardizing on it. It became a Mac OS weakness, IMO, because they never standardized the implementation due to stubbornly sticking to a single mouse button. To this day they are not really universally standardized.

The loss of this functionality in the Modern UI will always make it inferior to the Desktop Environment, and the current Mac OS. Having to travel to the top or bottom of the screen which could be large, for an in-place action is just stupid. Real stupid. But that's not what tablet computing is for is it? And Modern UI in its current state, isn't for workstations. Nobody today actually does meaningful work in the Modern UI environment, and it's not meant for that at this time. It's meant for consumption, not creation or productivity IMO. Not yet. The notion that the Desktop Environment and Modern UI could meet somewhere in the middle is interesting, maybe tantalizing even, but to suggest we're there yet is just a dream.

At first I hated it, I had only tried it in the virtual machine and had no idea how to close apps or how to shut windows down but after reading about how to use the metro side of windows 8 it became more useful. I installed it as my main operating system to force myself to adapt to it and now I think its great. My start screen is customized with my frequently used programs and all my games. I've also got myself a touch mouse so I can take advantage of some of the gestures in windows 8. I don't think I could go back to Windows 7 now.

I could not go back because of the performance of the Desktop Environment, and with Start8, it's better at what 7 does than 7 without exception. I don't do much in the Modern UI, with Start8 including Modern UI apps in the Start Menu, I haven't seen the Start Page in long time. Except rebooting (by choice). And since I haven't seen it, I think I'll use Start8 to start booting to the desktop.

• Like 2

my initial reaction has not changed, it was designed by idiots that play and wave their finger around all day, it simply doesn't belong in productive enviroment.

Windows 8 should have never happened, its a ugly frankenstein of OS, mixing two types of OS together simply doesn't work.

If MS wanted to expand into phone/tablet business they chould have made OS for phone and tablet and leave windows like it way.

my initial reaction is same as before, it was designed by idiots that play and wave their finger around all day, it simply doesn't belong in productive enviroment.

Windows 8 should have never happened, its a ugly frankenstein of OS, mixing two types of OS together simply doesn't work.

If MS wanted to expand into phone/tablet business they chould have made OS for phone and tablet and leave windows like it way.

^This 100%.

• Like 1

i still thinking that it is not an upgrade for win7, i think about windows 8 as an downgrade... getting back to primitive

anyway, there is a program named start8 and some other like this one that allow you to get back the start button. But making it non retro-compatible (i am not sure if I wrote it right but in spanish goes like that) is a bad idea. that type of problems make me not want to get it yet

I am from Puerto Rico and i am use to write in spanish, so sorry for my bad english

i still thinking that it is not an upgrade for win7, i think about windows 8 as an downgrade... getting back to primitive

anyway, there is a program named start8 and some other like this one that allow you to get back the start button. But making it non retro-compatible (i am not sure if I wrote it right but in spanish goes like that) is a bad idea. that type of problems make me not want to get it yet

I am from Puerto Rico and i am use to write in spanish, so sorry for my bad english

When I first saw it my reaction was quite literally "what the f*** is this crap"

I do use it and have kind of gotten used to it but it STILL feels more clunky than Windows 7, and this is after well over a year of using it.

It's built for touch. I already have an Android tablet for touch. I went back to Windows 7 on my lappy.

End of story.

if wasn't for substantial improved battery life, i would be back to 7 too.