Common sense fixes to Windows 8

How does that automatically click the Desktop tile?

Holy crap people, I have said many times before I like Windows 8, actually prefer it. But I just have THOSE TWO.....TWO issues. Yet I am still being attacked and being called whiney?

Why the heck do we even have ANY sort of product reviews then? If we cannot say our opinions, NO REVIEWS should be allowed to exist.

Click on desktop tile to stare at wallpaper?

Click on your desktop application (such as my computer/some browser/word etc) instead. Use common sense.

By the way, and just fyi in case someone wasn't aware of this, both WIN+1-9 as well as WIN+ALT+1-9 work from the Start Screen despite the fact that the task bar isn't visible at the time. So, if you have the File Explorer as the first item on the task bar, you could, right from the Start Screen, press WIN+ALT+1 then 'D', then Enter, to get to your pinned documents folder (for example). :)

EDIT: Ugh...actually....it seems that this doesn't work unless you've already been to the Desktop at least once after booting. :pinch:

Click on desktop tile to stare at wallpaper?

Click on your desktop application (such as my computer/some browser/word etc) instead. Use common sense.

Sigh.....Do you just forget how to use the computer? So let me get this straight. If I click the Desktop tile, I am stuck staring at a blank wallpaper?! There is NOTHING I can do about it?! What did you do in Windows 7? When I click my desktop tile, I am able to see all my desktop shortcuts and folders (something the Start Screen cannot do). For example. I do not need to have every program of Office clogging up my desktop, so I have a Microsoft Office folder on my desktop. I put all the shortcuts needed in there.

SO yes, I click Desktop tile, but then I click a desktop icon.....I like having things organized this way. If you do not, that is fine. But I do. It might not be a better solution for you, that is fine. But this way is much more productive for me.

I do not think I am the one that needs to use common sense. If you would realize people have things set up differently, you would not simply say things like that. I can fit much more icons on my desktop than the Start Screen can hold WITHOUT needing to scroll for ages.

I keep things nice and organized on the desktop with shortcuts and folders (in cases for suites like Office and Adobe CS6). Again, if you want all of your icons visible and scroll and scroll and scroll through dozens and dozens of icons, that is fine. But I prefer my way.

Sigh.....Do you just forget how to use the computer? So let me get this straight. If I click the Desktop tile, I am stuck staring at a blank wallpaper?! There is NOTHING I can do about it?! What did you do in Windows 7? When I click my desktop tile, I am able to see all my desktop shortcuts and folders (something the Start Screen cannot do). For example. I do not need to have every program of Office clogging up my desktop, so I have a Microsoft Office folder on my desktop. I put all the shortcuts needed in there.

SO yes, I click Desktop tile, but then I click a desktop icon.....I like having things organized this way. If you do not, that is fine. But I do. It might not be a better solution for you, that is fine. But this way is much more productive for me.

I do not think I am the one that needs to use common sense. If you would realize people have things set up differently, you would not simply say things like that. I can fit much more icons on my desktop than the Start Screen can hold WITHOUT needing to scroll for ages.

I keep things nice and organized on the desktop with shortcuts and folders (in cases for suites like Office and Adobe CS6). Again, if you want all of your icons visible and scroll and scroll and scroll through dozens and dozens of icons, that is fine. But I prefer my way.

So, you're double clicking into various folders and icons, yet are bothered by a *single* click into the desktop?

In Windows 7, how did you reach that MSOffice shortcuts folder once you had other programs running say browser, media player etc. which covered that portion of your desktop? Your habit is the least efficient method of accessing program shortcuts. You might want to re-think them.

So, you're double clicking into various folders and icons, yet are bothered by a *single* click into the desktop?

Hmm let's see here. Click desktop and have the ability to have around 100 desktop icons (note I said ability, I do not actually have 100s of desktop icons) without scrolling, or stay in the Start Screen and do the grouping thing and have to scroll when there are more than 16 tiles. I made four groups in the Start Screen, and I already need to scroll. So I said forget it and remained doing what I have for years.

It is actually faster for me to double click a folder "Microsoft Office" and open up Word than it is to scroll through a sea of tiles to find it (needle in a haystack type of thing).

Yes I am bothered with having to click the Desktop tile. Because I have to do it.....every.....single.....time. As I said, I switch between OS X and Windows quite often. So having to click it 3-6 times a day (when I only am able to use my computer for 6 hours) is very very very irritating.

In Windows 7, how did you reach that MSOffice shortcuts folder once you had other programs running say browser, media player etc. which covered that portion of your desktop? Your habit is the least efficient method of accessing program shortcuts. You might want to re-think them.

Ah typical response. Windows 8 is the god of all operating systems. "You are using it wrong" or "your methods are wrong". Yep, we just ignore the issues and tell our customers/clients "Change the way you use your computer". You would get fired for doing that.

Hmm lets see here. Minimize the application that is blocking the desktop icon I need, double click, open Word. OR. Windows key, have my full monitor filled up, scroll scroll scroll until you find Word in your sea of icons, then click it.

Again, what does it damn matter to you what I am doing? All I am asking for is a simple check box to boot into desktop. Yet, even though I prefer Windows 8, I am still being attacked about my methods or procedures.

Hmm let's see here. Click desktop and have the ability to have around 100 desktop icons (note I said ability, I do not actually have 100s of desktop icons) without scrolling, or stay in the Start Screen and do the grouping thing and have to scroll when there are more than 16 tiles. I made four groups in the Start Screen, and I already need to scroll. So I said forget it and remained doing what I have for years.

It is actually faster for me to double click a folder "Microsoft Office" and open up Word than it is to scroll through a sea of tiles to find it (needle in a haystack type of thing).

Yes I am bothered with having to click the Desktop tile. Because I have to do it.....every.....single.....time. As I said, I switch between OS X and Windows quite often. So having to click it 3-6 times a day (when I only am able to use my computer for 6 hours) is very very very irritating.

Ah typical response. Windows 8 is the god of all operating systems. "You are using it wrong" or "your methods are wrong". Yep, we just ignore the issues and tell our customers/clients "Change the way you use your computer". You would get fired for doing that.

Hmm lets see here. Minimize the application that is blocking the desktop icon I need, double click, open Word. OR. Windows key, have my full monitor filled up, scroll scroll scroll until you find Word in your sea of icons, then click it.

Again, what does it damn matter to you what I am doing? All I am asking for is a simple check box to boot into desktop. Yet, even though I prefer Windows 8, I am still being attacked about my methods or procedures.

again, you can GROUP icons on Start (and even name those groups) to make them easier to find. Hell, you don't even have to pin all your apps. Muscle memory takes care of having to "search for a needle in a haystack".

It sounds to me like you're clinging to habits that should have been left behind long ago, and are blaming Microsoft for your woes.

Desktop shortcuts? Get rid of those, you're just torturing yourself by having to dig through all your open windows, and all those folders you say you have, to get to what you need.

I had Office pinned to the taskbar or Start Menu. I take full advantage of app pinning, that's why it's there. It was a highly requested feature, so that users don't have to hunt all over or be bothered with extra clicking around to find what they need.

Sorry BajiRav, I thought I quoted one of Whiplash's posts, didn't mean to come back at you.

here is an example. When I walk someone over the phone to open Gotoassist on an XP computer, I do the following if the icon is not located on the desktop. I have them click start / all programs and then "Right click" on accessories and tell them to left click sort by name. This way it alphabetizes the list so they can find the citrix folder. Most of the time after using the words "right click and then left click" I get the following question when I ask them to "open" the citrix folder..... "Which mouse button do I use, the right or the left"

If they know how to use a keyboard and are using Vista or higher, tell them to Winkey + citrix and hit Enter.

Your methods are clumsy. They get the job done in a round-about way.

The Start menu and Start screen both accept keyboard input for searching and launching - the latter since Vista came out. Launching Word involves hitting the Windows key, typing in Word, and hitting Enter - many users only need to type in "w" before hitting Enter. In this case, 8 takes about the same amount of time and effort for launching a program.

It sounds to me like you're clinging to habits that should have been left behind long ago, and are blaming Microsoft for your woes.

Says you.... Why is almost every response along the lines of "you're using it wrong!".

Says you.... Why is almost every response along the lines of "you are using it wrong".

Are you really going to justify keeping shortcuts on the desktop?

Uh...forget Windows 8, you are doing it wrong even on Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/98/ or whatever the hell you were using before Windows 8. Your defensive reaction to my post only highlights your own inability to understand where the problem lies.

btw, it's actually fastest to have your MSOffice folder or individual programs pinned to taskbar (or *shockingly* even start screen).

Says you.... Why is almost every response along the lines of "you're using it wrong!".

Microsoft made things easier to access with app pinning, but somehow it's their fault for because he wants to do things the hard way?

Are you really going to justify keeping shortcuts on the desktop?

Uh...forget Windows 8, you are doing it wrong even on Windows 7/Vista/XP/2000/98/ or whatever the hell you were using before Windows 8. Your defensive reaction to my post only highlights your own inability to understand where the problem lies.

btw, it's actually fastest to have your MSOffice folder or individual programs pinned to taskbar (or *shockingly* even start screen).

So....wait. Ever since Windows 98, you were not supposed to EVER use desktop shortcuts? Then what they heck are desktop shortcuts supposed to be? If Microsoft never wanted us to use them, why the hell do they provide it?

It is faster if you only have a few application. I have a lot of applications and I use them a lot for my various jobs and processes. Having to scroll through the start screen is more annoying then a very quick double click.

Again, this is what I prefer. What right do you have (MS still gives the option to make desktop shortcuts, so it seems to me if you want to MS has no problem with me doing this) to tell me I cannot use desktop shortcuts and my methods are messy or wrong? I find the start screen messy and wrong FOR MY NEEDS. But you do not see my saying things like you guys are. When I use desktop shortcuts, I do NOT need to scroll in order to click what I need. With the ability to support 100s of icons on the desktop, and across multiple monitors, no scrolling is needed.

Again. What.....does....it....matter....to....you if there is a simple check box in the control panel to boot to desktop? Geez. But instead you guys avoid the question and attack my methods. Fine, tell me I am sticking to the old days. But Desktop Shortcuts functionality still exist, so I fail to see how my methods are wrong. With an option, again, what does it matter to you have I have it enabled and you do not?

TELL ME how it affects you if they provide just one little, simple check box "Boot directly to desktop?"

You asked why I prefer to be booted directly to the desktop, and I told you. My methods are not wrong or messy. I have my own way of organizing things and I prefer my way. And MS still provide desktop shortcuts as a functionality, so tell me again how I am wrong by using functionality in Windows?

• Like 2

TELL ME how it affects you if they provide just one little, simple check box "Boot directly to desktop?"

Doesn't really affect anyone at all; but it does empower people to do things how Microsoft doesn't want it to be done. If Microsoft no longer wanted people to use the desktop to create shortcuts; they would remove that feature; as with any feature Microsoft no longer wants to support.

Using desktops shortcuts may have been a totally acceptable method during the 9x and XP days; but there are better ways to deal with shortcuts now. Just because you feel it works for you doesn't mean it's right. Just means it works for you.

Microsoft is trying to push people towards the perfered method; kicking and screaming every step of the way.

This is getting silly...

Microsoft is trying to push people towards the perfered method
Microsoft doesn't want it to be done [...] it works for you doesn't mean it's right. Just means it works for you.

Doesn't really affect anyone at all; but it does empower people to do things how Microsoft doesn't want it to be done.

Using desktops shortcuts may have been a totally acceptable method during the 9x and XP days; but there are better ways to deal with shortcuts now. Just because you feel it works for you doesn't mean it's right. Just means it works for you.

Microsoft is trying to push people towards the perfered method; kicking and screaming every step of the way.

Then why is there still functionality to make desktop shortcuts? Geez all I am saying here is that a boot directly to desktop checkbox is needed. Why do I need it? Because I do not use the Start Screen. I use Desktop Shortcuts. The Start Screen is of NO use to me. The ONLY thing I use it for is clicking Desktop.

If we were never supposed to use desktop shortcuts even back in Windows 98, MS should have removed that functionality. The fact that the functionality still exists in Windows 8 means people can use it. How is it wrong to use desktop shortcuts? The functionality still exists. I am using something that Windows 8 clearly allows. So again, how is it such a HORRIBLE....HORRIBLE process that I keep using desktop shortcuts?

My god you guys are acting like I am just sitting here punching kittens for the fun of it. If Microsoft does not want users to use desktop shortcuts anymore, REMOVE THE FUNCTIONALITY.

It is NOT WRONG or INCORRECT to use a functionality provided in a program/OS. You do not use it? Great! But it is available, therefore it is not incorrect to use it.

Also, I am just going off the comments of you guys. Does it say....ANYWHERE....in Windows 8 that Desktop Shortcuts are now a no-no? Does it bring up a popup every time you make one that says they are now a no-no? I had no idea until you guys said something that desktop shortcuts are so.... HORRIBLY.....HORRIBLY....wrong to use. Apparently they are just as bad to use as somebody sitting here punching a kitten for fun.

There is windowed search in Windows 8. Have you forgotten about the Search Bar in Explorer?

Also, don't judge Windows 8 until you've used it via touch, then you'll see why things are the way they are.

If it were a suitable desktop OS as you so frequently claim, you wouldn't have to use it on a touchscreen to find it useful.

How about pinning your office programs to start screen or even taskbar (use win+1/2/3 etc)?

You can double click on a folder ON desktop to view office shortcuts (...who the hell does that?!) but you cant click once on desktop tile or directly click on the ms word?

hell...make a batch file that starts up word, excel, pp, outlook, visio all in one click and pin that to start screen.

Here's a pro tip: type wo and press enter.

How about pinning your office programs to start screen or even taskbar (use win+1/2/3 etc)?

You can double click on a folder ON desktop to view office shortcuts (...who the hell does that?!) but you cant click once on desktop tile or directly click on the ms word?

hell...make a batch file that starts up word, excel, pp, outlook, visio all in one click and pin that to start screen.

Here's a pro tip: type wo and press enter.

So instead of using desktop shortcuts (which I guess is like a feature you guys consider to be sooooooooooo unbelievably horrible), you suggest I resort to creating a batch file?! No thanks.

Show me where in an official statement from Microsoft, in the Windows 8 documentation somewhere, that desktop shortcuts are now such a big no-no.

DO not like how I use it? FINE. But to sit here and tell me they should not be used is just ridiculous. I like how I use them. If you do not, then again, fine. Everybody uses their computers differently.

For gods sake, did I ONCE say I am unable to click using the start screen? NO. I prefer desktop shortcuts. I prefer the Start Menu where everything was nice and organized in collapsible folders. Word is pinned to my taskbar already. But in the cases where I need OneNote or Access, I open the folder that has every office icon in there. MUCH better than throwing everything in the start screen where it is visible whether you need it once in a blue moon or need it every day.

If it were a suitable desktop OS as you so frequently claim, you wouldn't have to use it on a touchscreen to find it useful.

Aside from the Surface, I don't. My desktop isn't touch... yet.

So instead of using desktop shortcuts (which I guess is like a feature you guys consider to be sooooooooooo unbelievably horrible), you suggest I resort to creating a batch file?! No thanks.

Show me where in an official statement from Microsoft, in the Windows 8 documentation somewhere, that desktop shortcuts are now such a big no-no.

DO not like how I use it? FINE. But to sit here and tell me they should not be used is just ridiculous. I like how I use them. If you do not, then again, fine. Everybody uses their computers differently.

For gods sake, did I ONCE say I am unable to click using the start screen? NO. I prefer desktop shortcuts. I prefer the Start Menu where everything was nice and organized in collapsible folders. Word is pinned to my taskbar already. But in the cases where I need OneNote or Access, I open the folder that has every office icon in there. MUCH better than throwing everything in the start screen where it is visible whether you need it once in a blue moon or need it every day.

But if your machine is cluttered as much as you say it is with multiple Windows, desktop icons and rummaging through the All Apps menu are a cumbersome experience. There are better ways to launch the apps you need in a timely manner. Microsoft has developed multiple quick and easy ways to launch stuff, and you're fighting tooth and nail every bit of it.

You complain that upon Start, you need to click into the desktop, click into this, and click into that. Why not upon Start, just start typing the name of the app you need, hit 'Enter', and go from there? You're hands are already (presumably) still on the keyboard from logging in, and it would save you massive amounts of your time. This is the UX Microsoft is trying to gear users toward. Desktop icons haven't been really needed since the XP days.

But if your machine is cluttered as much as you say it is with multiple Windows, desktop icons and rummaging through the All Apps menu are a cumbersome experience. There are better ways to launch the apps you need in a timely manner. Microsoft has developed multiple quick and easy ways to launch stuff, and you're fighting tooth and nail every bit of it.

You complain that upon Start, you need to click into the desktop, click into this, and click into that. Why not upon Start, just start typing the name of the app you need, hit 'Enter', and go from there? You're hands are already (presumably) still on the keyboard from logging in, and it would save you massive amounts of your time.

Nope, they are not. I am the sole person on my computer, so I have it auto log in to my account. My hands are nowhere near the keyboard right at boot.

The point is, it is not cluttered at all with desktop shortcuts. I can throw stuff I need once in a blue moon in a folder and open that folder whenever I need it. Contrast that to the Start Screen where everything is just THERE no matter if you need it every day or not.

Contrast that to the Start Screen where everything is just THERE no matter if you need it every day or not.

Not true at all. You're free to unpin anything and everything from it that you don't want there. You know that.

Not true at all. You're free to unpin anything and everything from it that you don't want there. You know that.

That is what is not true. All Apps. Everything is just there isn't it? No way to collapse the sections?